Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on June 7, 2015
As everyone says, they do run large. When you get your boots, these are hand made and tumbled in wooden drum to soften up the leather. This does cause the leather to 'grey' and make the different pieces of leather used stand out. If you are not into the distressed leather look, and want a pair of true black/brown boots, get some leather conditioner, mink oil and polish the buggens out of them.

For the size difference from what you are used to wearing, these boots have no real cushion for the feet, you will want to get a pair of inserts for the bottom of your foot. Walking more than 20 feet in these is like going back to the early 1800's and everyone's feet are calloused from the shoes they wore. Once you put the insert in, these will fit your feet when you buy the size that you normally wear.

Here is a picture with the way the boots come on the left, and what they look like if you polish them up. Be warned, polish these outside, or your wife/significant other will turn parts of your anatomy into a purse for themselves. It takes a lot of polish to bring these back to black.
review image
on April 28, 2014
I purchased these boots directly from Frye because Amazon and other online shoe retailers did not have my size. As most have already commented, these shoes run a good size large. I`m a 13 but I purchased a 12, the 12s fit perfectly.

The other "gripe" I have is that the inside of the boot is not lined, its all leather. Its a great shoe, and you can feel and smell the quality of this product but I think lining the inside of this shoe would put the shoe in another league and for the price (almost $400).

I already mentioned quality but I`ll also add classy. These boots are classy. I can`t tell you how many compliments I get on these boots and the compliments range from all ages so these shoes are timeless.

I pretty much wear these boots everyday when its not raining. These boots work well in a suit or with jeans so they are flexible too.

My final reservation is that if you are on your feet for a good portion of the day, you may want to look elsewhere because these boots are definitely not built for extended walks. I made the mistake of walking a good 3.5 miles in these one beautiful Sunday afternoon. By the time I returned home, my feet were killing me. This goes back to what I was saying about lining… I think if there were a lining, the shoes would easily hand that sort of mileage.

So its a great looking, classic, flexible, and well constructed American boot which I love but as I mentioned, Frye would be wise to add a lining and have proper sizing.
on June 2, 2015
Some of the best boots I've owned in terms of comfort from the first wear, very little break in time. I also own Red Wing Beckman's and Wolverine 1000 Miles for comparison. Colour is off as others have mentioned in that it is not uniform and a little greyish on the middle parts. But the quality is definitely top notch, and the wooden bottom of the shoe gives a great contrast to the black and they feel like they'll last a lifetime. It's also not often you'll find leather soles anymore, which give a touch of class on top of everything else. For the price they are hard to beat.
review image review image
on May 20, 2015
Took the advice of other reviewers and ordered a half size down. I wear a 12 & ordered 11.5. My left boot fits fine and the right boot is very snug, uncomfortably so. Weird thing is that my left foot is slightly larger than my right, so if there's a snugness issue, it's always with the left foot. Also the finish doesn't match. The right boot has extreme, large pebbling - especially towards the toe. The left boot has very little pebbling and is similar to the one in the picture. My wife noticed it immediately and said they almost look like two different boots. lastly the color is nowhere near the brown I ordered. In fact, it's nowhere near any brown, period. The boot I received are a dark gray, almost blackish color. I could have dealt with the color, but the bad fit and the crazy mismatch in finish are too much. It's too bad. I have other Frye boots that I am very happy with. These are going back. I gave them 4 stars because they are still nice boots if you can get a good "pair". BTW, these were discounted in price and so were the Frye Chukkas I recently ordered. The Chukkas were missing a shoelace eyelet. Maybe the discounted priced models are actually defects or seconds.
review image review image
on November 23, 2013
These boots look great and seem really well made but if you're ordering you may want to size down. I normally wear a size 11M but my feet were swimming in a size 11 of this boot. A size 10 would have been better.
on September 14, 2014
Order a size smaller than your normal shoe and it fits perfectly. I have a narrow heel and it fits perfectly.
on September 18, 2015
I bought these in brown and they arrived today. I am returning them. Overall, this is a nice boot. It fits similarly to my other Frye boots and my Lucchese boots. There were some very minor trimming issues around the welt, but I could live with those. The reason I'm returning them is that the leather is very mismatched between the right and left boot. Now, every piece of leather is different and no two pieces will look the same. But this mismatch in this pair is glaring. It's too bad, because otherwise I'd have given the boot a 4 star rating.
on September 21, 2015
First off, these are high quality boots. So with that said one would expect them to perform to that standard. Upon first trying them on I realized that these boots do run a tad on the larger side. I personally ignored the warning and advice of others and purchased my standard size for every other shoe/boot that I have owned since I was 13 years old. A normal size 12. I did this because this is not my first purchase of this style of boot. I have this style of boot from other manufacturers and they run a bit large as well.

Reason why? there are no damn insoles people. Do yourself a favor and put insoles in your boots and order the correct size you would normally wear. These boots do not come with insoles because they did not originally over 100 years ago. Insoles back then were commonly made of either quark or leather and were considered a luxury. Also many boots such as this style were custom made and therefore fit so well that one did not need insoles. Today, we need insoles, they help prevent hard ware on your knees and over time destroying your back. If your boots fit a little loose put insoles in. If that does not do the trick buy a thicker work boot type insole. this should solve your problems and the end result is comfy feet.

I gave these boots 4 stars because the fit and finish has some obvious flaws on the sole around the heel area. With that said these boots are almost as comfortable as a similar pair that I have worn for years. There also made in America, Huge PLUS.
on August 18, 2015
This is such a great boot. I love them more every time I wear them. Like all have said, they do run large. I'm an 11.5 on the Brannock Device. I shot for a 10.5 boot and they fit perfectly with room for an insole. Which is good, because an insole with arch support is key with wearing these boots. I wouldn't recommend standing in them without some. I swear by the green SuperFeet insoles.
When not wearing boots, I pretty much only wear old school type sneakers. Vans, Chuck Taylors, etc. My sizes are as follows:
• Vans Authentic lace up - 11.5(truest to the actual size of my foot)
• Vans Slip On - 11
• Adidas Stan Smith - 11
• Converse Chuck Taylor - 11

Finally, if you decided to keep this boot, keep in mind that the leather sole is smooth, slick and very slippery until it is scuffed up a bit. A decent walk on concrete will take care of that quickly.
on April 28, 2015
Excellent Boot - Very well made, I like them much better than the 1000 mile in terms of comfort. Construction is equal to 1000 mile or Redwing - both of which I couldn't wear. For me these are not an all day long boot, they are a casual boot and would not use them if I were going to do a lot of walking. But I love how they look - pictures can be deceiving, I ordered them in brown - box says brown, but they look more like the black and grey. They looked so nice though that I didn't bother messing around with returns.

I wear a size 8.5W Saucony running shoe, measure somewhere between 8 and 8.5 on brannock device - 7.5 D here fits great with plenty of toe room. I would recommend them as a fashion boot - for work or every day boot it White's no question.