on June 10, 2008
Verified Purchase
When I was 15, the coolest possible boot you could wear was a Frye Harness. Now that I'm 50, and can finally afford them, I got a pair - they are still the coolest boots you can wear. It's really a classic style, hasn't changed at all since way back when. On my Harley, or just walking around, these boots are super. Fit your regular size, really tough made - will last a LONG time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2008
The only difficulty I encountered with ordering these boots is sizing as I was unable to find any vendors in Hawaii to actually try a pair on. The best that I can do to help is to tell you that these boots follow closely the sizing of Army issued boots. I ordered a half-size up just in case and use an insert to make the fit perfect. This is not needed as the boots are very comfortable without the insert if you purchase the right size.

Every other part of the experience is greatly positive.

The boots are solid and well constructed. The black and gaucho colors are all I can vouch for with my own eyes, but are both very attractive. The leather comes pliable already, which is great for comfort immediately.

One of the surprising pleasures was how fast these boots arrived. Amazon gave me a 6 day window about 4 or 5 days out from when I ordered and the boots arrived both times before the window had even opened.

I would recommend these boots to friends and family. Not that I would have to as I've already received compliments and inquiries about where to buy them.
on February 23, 2011
Size Name: 10.5 D(M) USColor Name: Gaucho - 87350Verified Purchase
These are fantastically well-made, gorgeous boots. The leather is substantial and the fit is excellent. As other reviews have noted, they're quite snug at first and the heel slips a little. Still they're surprisingly comfortable for new boots and I already notice improvement in these areas after just a day of wearing them.

DO NOT ORDER A SIZE DOWN as some reviews have suggested. I found these boots are true to size and I would urge new buyers to order their regular size.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 26, 2011
Verified Purchase
These are probably the most beautiful boots that I've ever laid eyes on! The leather is spectacular, the gaucho is absolutely gorgeous, and wide is for once properly identified! Problem: DO NOT BUY THESE BOOTS IF YOU HAVE A HIGH ARCH OR WIDE CALF! They will not fit properly! Also, the 12r is literally almost 12 full inches above the harness so you better be long legged and the harness portion does not give at all when sliding foot into place so be ready to fight for what you want to wear....and don't be surprised if it doesn't fit exactly right. I'd suggest tracking down a retailer with the closest possible version to try on before buying.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2008
These are great boots. As others have said, they look great and are definitely cool. I was a little concerned when I first put them on. I read on other sites that they do not stretch. They do. And, the leather softens up. It will take a while, though, and the stretching is minimal. Don't go a size small, but if they feel snug, wear them around the house. I've probably got about 10 full days of wear on mine now and they have become quite comfortable. Not as much as my faithful Blundstones, but still quite comfortable.
on November 11, 2008
Went to Nordstrom's to search for boots. Wanted to try something new (i.e., boots) and these seemed very masculine. And apparently popular with women. Better yet, still made in the USA.

The beginning comfort is amazing for boots. Five stars because of the price. Other, smaller boots at Nordstroms cost much more.

Nordstrom seems to be discontinuing the 12R harness models and coming out with a shorter, more expensive, and harder to put on boot. Get these, not those --- they're better and THE Classic. Nordstrom did have a size 9 Medium at 30% off. An excellent price. It seemed a little long for me but gorgeous in chestnut. So, I just ordered and received an 8 1/2 Wide gaucho color pair (which seems to be the famous color). It only took one day to arrive at the house from another vendor (free shipping). Neither with tax.

My first thought is that the 8 1/2 W fits me better and is harder to find. And it should stretch with time. Then again, the Chestnut looks sharper with a sort of shiny brown, black toe (I might change my mind with time). It's actually easier to put on and off (neither has been broken in yet). I'm leaning towards the gaucho as most seem to prefer it and it fits like a glove and should get even better with time. Interestingly, the size 9 Chestnut has an extra watch band type piece of leather in the back which allows one to loosen the boot to ease putting it on and off.

Either one of these is an American Classic and, of course, comfort and correct size should be key. The Wide boots are definitely available --- although not at some stores, including Nordstrom.

Buy one in case they discontinue it or change it or increase the price. Given the quality, that they're benchmade, and the amount of leather, get these now!

Nothing goes better with jeans. And, if you're short, they effortlessly, comfortably and elegantly add an inch to your height.

These will last a long time and become winter wear for me for years (I don't yet know if they would be hot in the summer.) The chestnut is a shinier leather and heavier while the gaucho is more like a lighter weight suede. Neither is lined. Great for a motorcycle (compared to sneakers). Even better for fashion, dependability and pride of ownership. I supect women will like these as much as I do.
on December 19, 2007
Size Name: 11.5 D(M) USColor Name: Gaucho - 87350Verified Purchase
I bought these for my husband. He loves them. They are very comfortable and beautiful. We both love them and saved at least $40.00 using Amazon.
Thanks for another great purchase!
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2011
I've always enjoyed a good harness boot. Ever since I was in high school harness boots have completed the look for me, and many others. Sure you could spend a lot of money on an expensive pair of sneakers, but you will never get the same durability, style and fashion sense that you will get out of a good pair of harness boots -- and let me tell you, these Frye boots are *GOOD*, in fact I'd say they are the best harness boots I've worn in my 20 years of wearing boots!

I was a Durango guy tried and true for many years until they decided to ship production of their boots to China. When they did that I decided to shop around and see who was still making boots in the USA, and came across Frye after talking to several friends. I bought a pair last June and here we are in December and these boots have been with me through sun, rain and snow. I've worn them to work, to social gatherings and on vacation. They have stood up after being worn repeatedly and still look almost as good as the day I got them (a little wear on them, but then again most guys will tell you -- harness boots look BETTER when they have been "broken in").

If you have a husband, boyfriend, secret lover on the side and are looking for a gift for them that they can not only enjoy wearing, but look good in, then look no further. The American craftsmanship has turned out an excellent harness boot that will last for years. If your guy is a jeans guy then I guarantee you that this is the perfect "fit" for them.

These boots tend to be just a tad bit snug, so I recommend you go a 1/2 size larger for most guys. In fact I normally wear a size 12, but I actually ended up going with the 13s and love them -- I think they fit me perfectly. If I had to recommend a color, it would be dark brown for the win. After owning the dark brown ones for about 3 months I ended up buying another pair in black, but the dark brown color can go with so many more different outfits than the black ones. The black ones do go very well with a pair of semi-bleached jeans, though, in my opinion.

As far as comfort after wearing them all day I find these guys really deliver in that area too. Be warned that as you break them in for the first few wears you will need to take it slow -- they will be a tad bit uncomfortable. Let the leather and boot mold to your feet and don't expect to just throw these on the first day they arrive and then go out for a night on the town. Not going to happen -- you'll be in a lot of pain if you try that. Wear them for an hour or two, then gradually keep wearing them longer and longer for the first week or two.

A good looking, stylish boot that is made in the America -- what every guy should have in his wardrobe.
Verified Purchase
These are great looking boots and wish I was able to tell you how they wear.
I wear a size 9.5 to 10 (depending on the shoe), so after reading the reviews about 1/2 size smaller, I ordered a 9.5m. They did not fit, I could not even get my foot in. OK, sent back and ordered a size 10. Well, it was close, as I got my left boot on (barley), but could not get the right one on. I am now debating on ordering again.
Seems to be a really good pair of boots and maybe one day, I will actually get a pair that fit. We shall see.

Update: I bought these boots that a half size bigger (10.5). The right foot was still tight, but eventually worked in over the course of a few months. These are Great pair of Boots!!!!!
on July 20, 2007
Size Name: 11 2E USColor Name: Black - 87350Verified Purchase
I ride a Harley chopper and needed classic somewhat heavily built boots to make the stretched out front riding pegs feel more secure. Riding with sneakers for example feels like your feet will slip off the skimpy pegs and hit the ground. Not good at high speed you bet.

These boots are way cool looking in a classic way and are heavy and solid feeling, like your feet are encased in battle armor. Perfect. Except everybody on line has stopped stocking Wide sizes and the first pair I bought had to be returned because "medium" was killing my feet.

Well not everybody is out of "Wide." Nordstrom had them in selected models and colors. But honestly this problem finding proper sizes has become an epidemic. I even had several stores inform me "There is no such thing as 'wide'---everybody fits in a medium and that is all they make anymore." Baloney. It happened at the mall three times in one weekend which is why I shop on line a lot more than I used to.

I would add that to get a better custom fit I added Dr Scholl's "Work" inserts to cut down on the slipping and sliding. The wide size is pretty relaxed all around. But that just means I can ride until I fall off the bike from exhaustion (gotta go to California and back!) not because my feet are killing me. Cool.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...