Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Size: 8 B(M) USColor: Grey Burnished LeatherChange

on December 8, 2014
Hi! I try to leave thorough reviews to help others. Please read!

-COLOR: The color of the grey boots was the most difficult part to comprehend when ordering. An image search online of these boots will show some more grey, some more taupe, some a muddy brown or beige. I have found this to be because the shoe ACTUALLY contains all of these varying degrees of color. This kind of blows my mind a little. They are grey but they are taupe as well. It really just depends on the lighting and what you are wearing it with. I attached several images to reflect this. All of these images were taken within a 5 minute span in the same spot just with different angles of lighting from the window. One of the photos shows the boots between a sweatshirt in true heather GREY and the Melissa Button boot in COGNAC brown. The color of the Paige boots is what one might call "greige" (grey+beige) since it is neither one nor the other, but kind of both. Overall, the color is a lighter shade than the amazon listing image AND it really is gorgeous and versatile.

-FINISH: The finish on these boots leaves a light grey, almost white dusty powder on the leather. It gives it a sort of suede look. It does rub off if you want to but if you choose to clean it off or weatherproof them (or use mink oil on them) then the color will become darker and will lose the suede look and leave more of a matte finish to the leather. This might also happen over time with wear as the dusty residue naturally leaves the boots. I was told by a friend that they will also show discoloration if worn in wet weather so you may want to decide whether to treat them and change the coloring or leave them at home on rainy/snowy days to preserve them as is.

-SIZING: I normally wear a size 7-7.5 in other shoe brands. I always order Frye boots in an 8 to wear with socks. I have no rubbing (and I have 1 wonky toe that always rubs in shoes) and I can wear them all day long. I have no problems pulling them on my foot.

-CALF WIDTH: I have a 14.25" calf and I have to order the wide calf in the Melissa Button. I did not order the wide calf in these (they aren't made in wide calf anyway) and they fit exactly right with bare legs, no jeans. I can fit them over jeans, it's just going to be a bit tight for a while. They will definitely fit over leggings/pantyhose.

-HEIGHT: Since everyone's body proportions are different, I thought it would be the most helpful to provide my measurements of just my leg from floor to knee. The first wrinkles of my knee area start at 16" from floor (in socks only, no shoes) and the boot hits me exactly in this area (see image). My actual kneecap measures 17" from the floor and clears the boot by about 1". As a side note, I am 5'4" and 130 lbs. See the next section for more details about height variance per pair.

-UNIQUE: Every pair is a little different. I have experienced this with every pair of Frye boots I own. I ordered a 2nd pair because the first pair I received had a long scratch and a heavily discolored area inconsistent with the rest of the shoe (natural results for leather, I know, but Im picky). The 2nd pair is near flawless and is in my "acceptable" range. Also, the first pair I ordered was around 1/2" taller than the 2nd pair, which actually made a huge difference for me as the height change worked in favor of my small stature.

Overall, 5 stars! Gorgeous, comfortable, versatile and will last for years. I got tired of buying $75 boots that needed replacing every season. I waited for a promo to order. They really are worth the money.
review image review image review image review image
22 comments79 of 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2015
This is my first pair of Frye boots and I'm hooked! They come with an insane white waxy buildup on them but it does wipe right off. I wear a 6.5-7 and ordered a 7. The first two times I put them on, they were snug but not tight. By the third time, the felt wonderful. The color was exactly as I expected. I'm glad that I bit the bullet and purchased these boots.
review image review image
on October 9, 2009
I just purchased these boots in the saddle color. They are fantastic! They are a beautiful camel color - the picture is pretty accurate as far as color goes. They are comfy and look great over skinny jeans. I've gotten tons of compliments. I think they run a little big and there is quite a bit of room in the calf, but I think that looks good with jeans. They are expensive, but Frye boots are the best and this is such a classic style!
11 comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2012
I got these boots for myself to go with a hard-to-match leather jacket that I wear all the time. These match my jacket perfectly, are so wonderfully soft and fit my calves perfectly even with skinny jeans or leggings underneath them. I didn't think I had wide calves til I started boot shopping but it seemed like every pair I tried was a bit too tight! But these are perfect. I was not excited about spending $300 on boots for myself but these are completely worth it - and that is coming from a college student! I also love how they come up to about the bottom of my knee. I get tons of compliments on them and love the grey-brown color because it really goes with everything. I also think they run very true to size. I'm normally a 7 1/2 or 8, and I bought an 8. They conformed to my foot perfectly after only a couple weeks. I used a waterproofing conditioning type product on them to make sure they'd be protected a little more from water. Overall, great boots!
on October 2, 2014
I read all the reviews--yes, all 145 or however many there were--and I looked up these Frye Paige riding boots all over the internet. I was a bit worried about spending so much, but now that they're here and on my feet, I'm glad I got them and I would love the other colors as well!

First impressions as I opened the box: they were shipped with the usual shoe-stuffing, etc; they also had that whitish waxy residue, which wiped off with a cloth. The leather smell was great, too!

After taking out all the "stuffing" and wiping them down, I put them on with a pair of regular cotton socks. I'm usually an 8.5 or 9, and I ordered 9s (I have a pair of Frye flats--which I also love--and got those in a 9, so they were my basis of comparison). They fit true to size; an 8.5 would have been too small, especially in the toe box. The heel slips a bit, but with thicker socks they'll be even a bit more snug, which is fine as the leather will relax with wear.

The ankle area is a bit loose and slouches a little; this is what I expected from the style and from reading other reviews. Since it's a pull on boot, there needs to be room to get your foot in there!

I tried them on first with skinny jeans and the fit is close but not too tight to the calves. With leggings or bare legs there will be about 1" of room, but not enough to make them look funny or make my legs look big. I have average calves that fit into most knee high boots, so ladies with wider calves might not like the fit. As far as the shaft height, these are some tall boots! I should note that I'm between 5'7"-5'8" and my height is all in my legs, and they come up to just below my kneecaps. I suspect as the leather relaxes they'll slouch a little more.

The soles are slippery; there is NO traction whatsoever, even on carpet! So I will fix that by getting some stick on material to give them a little more grip. Prepare to spend a little money to "winterize" them if you live where there's snow!

Finally, the color: they are the burnished antiqued leather in grey, but they are definitely more "taupe" than grey. I knew that going in, and I LOVE the color.

This style works well with the burnished/distressed types of leather. I'm not sure how it would go with the more smooth/shined leathers that they offer, as the leather slouches and relaxes over time.

I love these boots. I. Love. These. Boots. Would recommend 1000 times over. Invest in them. You will not regret it.

EDIT: I've now owned these boots over a year, and they have been worn a lot. They have only become MORE comfortable as the leather has adjusted to my feet. I'm starting to see some signs of wear on the heel and sole (to be expected) but the leather still is fantastic. Since they started out distressed to begin with, I think there's less dramatic change as they are worn. Still absolutely recommend!
11 comment8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2011
After reading the reviews, I went against my better judgement and ordered 1/2 size smaller than my typical size 7, mostly because I sometimes wear a 6.5 in certain shoes. The reviews REALLY stressed going down a 1/2 size, so I did and I ordered a 6.5. BIG MISTAKE go with the size you most typically wear! They were too tight, I had to return them and order a 7! The boots are incredible though! You'll love them.
0Comment16 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2014
These are high quality boots, not cheap 1 season boots. They will last years to come. I am a true 9.5, but went with the size 10 because I wear thick socks with boots. The are a tiny bit big, but the 9.5 would have been to small. They are a brownish/grey color and are beautiful! I am 5'10' and they hit an inch below my knees. Not sure if these will work if you have short legs.
on December 13, 2012
My stats are 5'3", plus size, with 15" calves. I usually wear an 8.5.

I received my Frye boots this evening. Their color is very close to that on the website listed as "Dark Brown Calf Shine." It is very dark, like a rich, smoky brown. I love the color! The darkness makes them wearable with black.

The boots looks great and smell wonderfully of leather. There is no type of powder or any other residue on them.

I love a really tall boot. So far these are the tallest that have fit my calves. They come to about an inch under my knee.

I have not had any issues with the boots making my legs look bigger. In fact, I think my legs look slimmer in the boots.

They fit snugly around the calves. They do slouch a little, as others have mentioned, but it is minor. I think they may break in just right when they loosen around the calf area.

My feet slid right into the boot with only minor tugging. However, they are a bit too loose. My foot reaches the front and back ends of the boot, so length is not an issue. I think it is what others have described -- the ankles are very big. My foot comes up from the boot.

Troublesome, yet they are so close to fitting that I think an 8 would be too small and not fit over my calves. Also, they are difficult to take off, and I fear that in a smaller size I would end up wearing them for the rest of my life! I had to inch them off little by little by my heels before I could pull them the rest of the way.

I am going to try doubling up on my socks and see if that solves the problem, as I don't want to have to send them back. They are beautiful!

I doubled up on the socks and they fit great! I will just need to keep in mind to wear thick socks with these!
22 comments9 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2014
I love these boots! I purchased these boots about 3 months ago and have been wearing them almost everyday since. I am kind of addicted to them... So here's the deal. When you get them yes there will be a white powder substance on the boots, I'm a positive thinker so I just refer to it as magic dust. You can rub it off or apply the Frye waterproofing conditioner which will make powder vanish It will also DARKEN the boot so be sure you're ok with that! I got the gray and I really liked the color but after I used the waterproofing conditioner I loved the darker color. I wear a 7.5 and I purchased the 7.5 which fits just right! I will warn you about the first 10 - 15 times you put them on and take them off it will be a little difficult until the leather stretches. I almost thought I couldn't get them on the first time I tried, but I like a good challenge so I really gave it my all, here are my pointers on that 1. Make sure your foot is straight and your not turning it to the left or right as it enters the ankle shaft. 2. Put your fingers through the side loops for extra force and an arm work out 3.Throw a glutei into it girl! It's worth the struggle I promise! Love love love these boots!
on January 15, 2013
I LOVE the look of these boots, but I am 5'5" and they are too tall for me. The top of the boot rubs my knee cap and doesn't look right. Bummer.