5.0 out of 5 stars Stretching to fit 16.5"calves. READ
Published 23 months ago by B.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pick another style without the snaps.
I ordered a pair of antique black women's Veronica back zip boots from Amazon on October 12, 2013 (received on October 15th and worn once or twice a week.) On December 7th, one of the snaps broke on one of the back straps and is now hanging loose. This shouldn't happen with less than two months of wear!

I emailed Frye directly, and (six days later) a customer...
Published 14 months ago by CCH

5.0 out of 5 stars Stretching to fit 16.5"calves. READ, April 4, 2013
B. (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I have had a horrible time finding good quality leather boots that both appeal to me aesthetically & fit over my 16+" thick calves. I have returned more boots listed as "wide calf" than I can count, & of course have had the annoyance of trying on boots with disappointing results in stores. But man, did I covet these boots. They sat in my cart for so long my size ran out. I researched stretching boots & thought if I was going to bother with the effort, it was only going to be for boots I loved. & when my Frye Veronica Back zips came, I was in love.

Let's talk fit. I don't care what any other reviewer says about "true to size", that's crap. I ALWAYS wear a wide 8.5 or a 9. But I had already returned FRYE Women's Veronica Slouch Boot in size 9, not because the calf didn't fit, it did, but the actual shoe was sooo narrow & the toe box was ridiculous. I understand that many women have narrow feet, but these were touted as wide & friendly to the fat foot community. Now my feet aren't circus elephant fat, but I have a thicker ankle & instep & just a generally short, wide foot with a decent arch. Lots of lovely shoes do fit me, so I don't walk around wearing paper bags on my feet. But Frye must think wide means something else...So I learned to size up.

I ordered these in 9.5, which is unheard of for me, I've never worn anything over a 9 & even those are often too long. When they arrived, I was psyched to find that my foot went right into them! They are long, but a little extra length at the toe doesn't bother me if it keeps my toes from getting squashed. Naturally, I could only zip these beautiful boots halfway up. The strap at the top could close though, so I wore them around for a couple hours with my pants pulled over the unzipped part & they started to warm up & loosen a little. I then sprayed the inside & outside & my tights with an 60/40ish alcohol/water solution and shoved in for another couple hours until they dried. Alcohol does not damage the cognac color, this was my first try at this procedure & I was nervous about damage, but there's absolutely none. It evaporates quickly & the leather stretches beautifully. I do not own a boot stretcher, & after buying these, can't afford a cobbler (or groceries for that matter) at the moment, so the DIY approach is fine for me.

On my second day, I sprayed them all down again with the alcohol solution & strapped in. This time my husband helped yank the heavy duty zipper up (with some finagling of flesh & zipping of tights-oops) Although one boot was seriously threatening to cut circulation for a minute, they quickly eased up & with a little bending, were totally fine for the hour I left them on while drying. Once I took them off, the stretched leather was obvious to see & I was pleased to find that I could zip them right back up with no help! They must have stretched and inch or more in just that hour! Another stretching session should be just right. I hope to get them to the point where I can wear skinnies under them.

Because I had to size up, there is some room in the heel that I can tell might be irritating as the boots break in, since the tough zipper goes nearly all the way down. My plan is to put inserts in to both snug up the fit & be generally more comfortable in the foot bed. While to some, all this trouble may sound ridiculous, I feel it is worth it because these boots are truly the best I have ever seen for quality & with my crappy history in boot shopping, I'm not missing the chance to make the most of my purchase. The Veronica Slouch unlined boots aren't even in the same league as these Veronica Back Zips. I can't believe they are even in the same family. These are immediately noticeably higher quality design & style.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the last boots you EVER have to buy!, October 27, 2012
I bought these boots a few days ago (they got here in 2 days, thanks Amazon :-))and I have to say that these are the most phenomenal, well fitting boots I have ever owned in my life. Like most women I have an affinity for shoes, however my collection far exceeds most women and I consider myself shoe connoisseur. I am 5'10 and wear a size 9-10 shoe and I am average size and have narrow feet as well. I got 9.5 and they fit like a glove. Plenty of room in the toes and I still have room in the calf to tuck in skinny jeans or leggings. They are quite tall too (usually the boots i try are too short). Completely beyond comfotable, I wore them for 8 hours on the first day and I had no blisters, no sore feet and no pinching anywhere. I got them in the black and the color was right on. Overall, completely worth the price and could not be happier, would not change one thing about them :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost-love these boots!!, June 23, 2014
My observations:

1) I have wide feet, and after reading the reviews here, I ordered a half-size larger than normal. They are amazingly comfortable, right out of the box, and are definitely wide enough! They are almost a little TOO long, but wearing thicker socks seems to help stop my heel from sliding.

2) The leather appeared very dull and dusty when I first took these out of the box. A little mink oil however, and now they are a gorgeous luscious black. The leather is very thick, and great quality. Also, the black boots are not unlined (some reviewers stated their colours were). These are actually lined with another thinner layer of black leather. I used mink oil on that too, and now they are beautiful on the inside as well.

3) What I don't like as much: I have skinnier legs, with 13" calves at the widest part, and there is quite a lot of extra room in the top half of these boots. I can fit my entire hand inside of them, while they are buckled on the tightest notch :( I measured the opening on my boots, and these are almost 16". (I posted a photo. Maybe a reviewer who received tighter boots wants to trade with me? ;D ) The leather is sturdy enough that they don't sag at least. I do love these enough that I am going to look into the possibility of having them taken in some, just to get rid of the "little girl playing dress-up in mommy's boots" look. I don't know if the calf circumference changes with different boot sizes, I do have bigger feet (size 9-10). Which leads to my final observation/opinion:

4) These boots do no favours in minimizing the appearance of larger feet :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous style, painful break in - but I have a solution for you!, June 4, 2014
pioupioun (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I am giving these a 5 on style. I am on my second pair, I love them that much DESPITE, as others have mentioned, these being THE MOST HEINOUS pair of boots to break in I have ever experienced in my life. My first brown pair relentlessly crunched my toes in the stiff toe box and chewed my heels into ground beef, even through socks, with the back zipper. Even after 20 hours of wear, I could barely gather up the nerve to put them on again, already bracing for the pain. NOT ANYMORE!! Enter my new black pair and this little bit of magic: Meltonian Shoe Stretch Spray, sold right here on Amazon: Meltonian Shoe Stretch-Aerosol
Get yourself some of this spray, a thick pair of socks, and break these puppies in in about half an hour! Then rock them like they deserve!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these!, December 25, 2013
I measure at a 7 1/2, although in a lot of shoes I need to go down a half size. Not so with these--7 1/2 is perfect. The cognac color is a warm, beautiful medium brown, not at all as orangey as it appears in the picture. I sometimes have difficulty fitting my muscular calves (14.5 inches) into boots, and while these are very fitted on me, I can still wear them over straight leg jeans and smart wool socks. The leather is already softening after just a few wearings. I love these, and the sale price was all I needed to decide to splurge. I'm completely in awe of the incredible quality of Frye boots!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!!, May 4, 2013
JRC (Australia) - See all my reviews
I have a pair of the Women's Veronica Slouch in grey and was looking at getting a black pair, but when I saw these I liked the idea of the back zip so after reading the reviews I decided to try it.

I wear an 8.5 and ordered that in the Black Antique colour. 8.5 fits me perfectly and it is an extremely comfortable boot. The black colour is exactly what I wanted - not too shiny and not too dull.

Note that for the first few wearings I could definitely feel the back zipper a bit against my heel - not really rubbing or painful or anything but just noticeable. However over a few days of wearing the leather stretched and formed to my feet and the boots are now perfect with no hint of the feel of zipper.

You WILL notice that the straps on the back of the heel do come undone sometimes, but once the boots started to break in and the leather softened, this stopped. It just takes a few wearings for the leather to "give" and once it does there's no pulling on the straps and they stop coming undone.

I adore these boots - very cool and biker-like with skinny jeans and sexy/funky with shorts. I get lots of compliments on them - even from my brother!!

I definitely prefer the Back Zip to the regular Veronica Slouch. Cool extra detail and the back zip makes for really easy on and off.

You won't regret buying these boots!!

5.0 out of 5 stars In love., October 14, 2013
I coveted these boots for a long time but couldn't bring myself to spend the money. Finally my husband got sick of me talking about them and told me to just get them already. I am a notorious buy-but-return person and figured there was a good chance I'd end up returning them. Especially after I clicked "buy" on amazon and felt immediately sick to my stomach having spent so much on shoes.

First off the boots are fantastic. Way better in person than online. I had never seen them in person so I really wasn't sure if the quality would be as good as I hoped. I have to say the smell is amazing. Good leather is up there with scents such as new car smell and fresh laundry. I was surprised the morning after I got them that my bedroom smelled of leather. This could be good or bad... :)

I wasn't sure on the size exactly because I am usually between an 8.5-9. Since my foot is a little wider after kids and I have large calves (over 16"), I went with the 9.5 hoping to be able to wear with thick socks. Well....I won't be wearing thick socks anytime soon. The foot portion leaves some room with my nylons that I have been wearing the boots with, but are very tight on my calves. They seem to fit a little better over my calves every time I wear them (initially I could only get the zipper half way up but now wear them fully zipped and buckled). The room in the foot portion is probably good though. One day I tried wearing a pair of ankle socks over my tights to tighten the foot portion, and the zipper rubbed the back of my ankle raw. Without the extra socks they were totally fine. I'll get used to the extra toe room because they are so incredibly comfy. For me the arch and support is exactly right on. I've had them for a week or so and have worn them 4 times so I can't really comment on how well they'll hold up over time, but they feel incredibly solid and of great quality.

Overall, I am super happy to have gotten them and they make me happy when I wear them. By the way, I ordered the dark brown and they are not as red in the picture and are a little more "beaten up" looking almost liked they were tumbled with those chalky playground rocks. At first I was concerned, but the look is working for me so I'm rolling with it. I'm sure that some leather conditioner would shine them right up if I was ever inclined.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pick another style without the snaps., December 19, 2013

I emailed Frye directly, and (six days later) a customer service rep emailed me back and offered to mail me a couple of extra snaps for me to take to my local cobbler. For boots that are supposedly such good quality and at this price point---no, no, no...this is not the response I expected to receive.

This company provides poor customer service, since now I must lose my own personal time to take my practically new boots to a cobbler, wait for them to be ready, pay for them to be fixed, and use my personal time again to drive and pick them up.

I expected much better and was disappointed. Avoid this particular style with the snaps, and possibly avoid Frye altogether, is my advice. I'm pretty upset that I spent so much on boots that I thought would last for years, only to have them break after a few wears.

As for fit, I'm normally a 9.5/10, and ordered size 10, which fits well. With an insert (an attempt at some arch support and a bit more comfort) they are too tight and not wearable for me. Without an insert, the sole is somewhat flat, hard, and not so comfy, but they fit well size-wise. But I liked the style (before I had a broken strap hanging down), and so was going to sacrifice a little comfort for that. The toe box is on the narrow side, and for that reason I'm glad I sized up.

The antique black is not shiny at all like it looks in the photos, and not wrinkly like that. The leather is smooth and basically dull, no sheen. Not a problem, but just wanted to note that they don't really look like the picture. Possibly if you treated them with Sno-Seal or some other leather conditioner, they'd probably shine up.

Overall, I wouldn't buy these again. For many people, I'd say these boots are an investment, and yet they are disappointing me in many ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, October 26, 2012
LOVE LOVE these boots!!!! Superior quality, cute as ever! I ordered the cognac and the color is a rich brownish red. I love these so much I ordered the black ones the very next day! You will NOT regret this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy them!!, December 1, 2014
LOVE them!! And they aren't as red as pictured. They are the absolute best color and I'm already planning on buying the same pair in black. They fit me true to size and are wonderful. All of my friends love them and want a pair. They are worth every penny. You won't regret your purchase. I'm a FRYE fan for life.