Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 8 B(M) US|Color: Cognac Antique Pull-Up-77552|Change

on June 23, 2014
My observations:

1) I have wide feet, and after reading the reviews here, I ordered a half-size larger than normal. They are amazingly comfortable, right out of the box, and are definitely wide enough! They are almost a little TOO long, but wearing thicker socks seems to help stop my heel from sliding.

2) The leather appeared very dull and dusty when I first took these out of the box. A little mink oil however, and now they are a gorgeous luscious black. The leather is very thick, and great quality. Also, the black boots are not unlined (some reviewers stated their colours were). These are actually lined with another thinner layer of black leather. I used mink oil on that too, and now they are beautiful on the inside as well.

3) What I don't like as much: I have skinnier legs, with 13" calves at the widest part, and there is quite a lot of extra room in the top half of these boots. I can fit my entire hand inside of them, while they are buckled on the tightest notch :( I measured the opening on my boots, and these are almost 16". (I posted a photo. Maybe a reviewer who received tighter boots wants to trade with me? ;D ) The leather is sturdy enough that they don't sag at least. I do love these enough that I am going to look into the possibility of having them taken in some, just to get rid of the "little girl playing dress-up in mommy's boots" look. I don't know if the calf circumference changes with different boot sizes, I do have bigger feet (size 9-10). Which leads to my final observation/opinion:

4) These boots do no favours in minimizing the appearance of larger feet :)
review image review image
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2015
These boots are so ridiculously gorgeous! The color (I bought the Antiqued Cognac) is divine and they are so stylish, comfortable and pretty! I felt like a little kid because I didn't want to take them off to go to bed. My first pair of Frye boots and I'm totally in love with the quality, genuine leather look/smell/feel and comfort of these, right out of the box.

Update: I've had these for a while now and I'm still in love. They are completely beautiful and look great with all kinds of outfits. I am definitely going to get another color someday.

Side Note: I always wear a 9 and don't buy wide shoes but have problems with shoes occasionally being too narrow and squishing my toes - I bought a 9.5 after reading some reviews and they fit perfectly.
on April 4, 2013
I have had a horrible time finding good quality leather boots that both appeal to me aesthetically & fit over my 16+" thick calves. I have returned more boots listed as "wide calf" than I can count, & of course have had the annoyance of trying on boots with disappointing results in stores. But man, did I covet these boots. They sat in my cart for so long my size ran out. I researched stretching boots & thought if I was going to bother with the effort, it was only going to be for boots I loved. & when my Frye Veronica Back zips came, I was in love.

Let's talk fit. I don't care what any other reviewer says about "true to size", that's crap. I ALWAYS wear a wide 8.5 or a 9. But I had already returned FRYE Women's Veronica Slouch Boot in size 9, not because the calf didn't fit, it did, but the actual shoe was sooo narrow & the toe box was ridiculous. I understand that many women have narrow feet, but these were touted as wide & friendly to the fat foot community. Now my feet aren't circus elephant fat, but I have a thicker ankle & instep & just a generally short, wide foot with a decent arch. Lots of lovely shoes do fit me, so I don't walk around wearing paper bags on my feet. But Frye must think wide means something else...So I learned to size up.

I ordered these in 9.5, which is unheard of for me, I've never worn anything over a 9 & even those are often too long. When they arrived, I was psyched to find that my foot went right into them! They are long, but a little extra length at the toe doesn't bother me if it keeps my toes from getting squashed. Naturally, I could only zip these beautiful boots halfway up. The strap at the top could close though, so I wore them around for a couple hours with my pants pulled over the unzipped part & they started to warm up & loosen a little. I then sprayed the inside & outside & my tights with an 60/40ish alcohol/water solution and shoved in for another couple hours until they dried. Alcohol does not damage the cognac color, this was my first try at this procedure & I was nervous about damage, but there's absolutely none. It evaporates quickly & the leather stretches beautifully. I do not own a boot stretcher, & after buying these, can't afford a cobbler (or groceries for that matter) at the moment, so the DIY approach is fine for me.

On my second day, I sprayed them all down again with the alcohol solution & strapped in. This time my husband helped yank the heavy duty zipper up (with some finagling of flesh & zipping of tights-oops) Although one boot was seriously threatening to cut circulation for a minute, they quickly eased up & with a little bending, were totally fine for the hour I left them on while drying. Once I took them off, the stretched leather was obvious to see & I was pleased to find that I could zip them right back up with no help! They must have stretched and inch or more in just that hour! Another stretching session should be just right. I hope to get them to the point where I can wear skinnies under them.

Because I had to size up, there is some room in the heel that I can tell might be irritating as the boots break in, since the tough zipper goes nearly all the way down. My plan is to put inserts in to both snug up the fit & be generally more comfortable in the foot bed. While to some, all this trouble may sound ridiculous, I feel it is worth it because these boots are truly the best I have ever seen for quality & with my crappy history in boot shopping, I'm not missing the chance to make the most of my purchase. The Veronica Slouch unlined boots aren't even in the same league as these Veronica Back Zips. I can't believe they are even in the same family. These are immediately noticeably higher quality design & style.
1212 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2012
I bought these boots a few days ago (they got here in 2 days, thanks Amazon :-))and I have to say that these are the most phenomenal, well fitting boots I have ever owned in my life. Like most women I have an affinity for shoes, however my collection far exceeds most women and I consider myself shoe connoisseur. I am 5'10 and wear a size 9-10 shoe and I am average size and have narrow feet as well. I got 9.5 and they fit like a glove. Plenty of room in the toes and I still have room in the calf to tuck in skinny jeans or leggings. They are quite tall too (usually the boots i try are too short). Completely beyond comfotable, I wore them for 8 hours on the first day and I had no blisters, no sore feet and no pinching anywhere. I got them in the black and the color was right on. Overall, completely worth the price and could not be happier, would not change one thing about them :-)
on June 4, 2014
I am giving these a 5 on style. I am on my second pair, I love them that much DESPITE, as others have mentioned, these being THE MOST HEINOUS pair of boots to break in I have ever experienced in my life. My first brown pair relentlessly crunched my toes in the stiff toe box and chewed my heels into ground beef, even through socks, with the back zipper. Even after 20 hours of wear, I could barely gather up the nerve to put them on again, already bracing for the pain. NOT ANYMORE!! Enter my new black pair and this little bit of magic: Meltonian Shoe Stretch Spray, sold right here on Amazon: Meltonian Shoe Stretch-Aerosol
Get yourself some of this spray, a thick pair of socks, and break these puppies in in about half an hour! Then rock them like they deserve!
on April 14, 2015
Amazing boots! I ordered the stoned antique cognac color in a half size bigger than I normally wear and am in love! They fit my half perfectly with room for jeans and socks! The color is a lovely weathered look! The hardware is nice and not too bulky. Wearing them for the first the today and they are very comfortable and seem to require little breaking in. Also- the smell of the leather is divine!! Highly recommend these boots- wonderful quality and timeless!
on April 2, 2015
Per other reviews, I bought the size 9 despite that I recently bought the Veronica Slouch in size 8.5, and that fit great. Upon arrival, the size 9 felt a wee bit too large, so I ordered the size 8.5 to for comparison. I returned the 8.5 as they were too tight and kept the 9. Also, the finish was quite different between the sizes even though I ordered the same color, Cognac Stoned Antiqued. The 8.5 looked very "weathered/antiqued" looking. I didn't like that pair's finish and - even if it had fit - would have returned it.

I wore the boots 2 days in a row & experienced all day comfort. The zipper does not slide up & down easily, but it seems to get easier after a few times.
on September 11, 2015
These are very nice Frye boots. I have several pairs of different styles, and these do not disappoint. The leather is thick and sturdy, the boots are leather lined. The zipper, as some have commented, is quite stiff and may need some wax and a little work to loosen up. Compared to other Frye boots I own, these are rather stiff and will need some breaking in. As far as sizing goes, they run smaller than my harness and campus boots. I wear a women's 11 B in most shoes. Most Frye boots in an 11 are a bit big on me, while a 10 is bit too small. These just fit in an 11, and I won't be able to wear thick socks with them. There isn't much arch support, which I would usually deal with by adding an insert, but there won't be room in these--the main reason for my knocking off a star. Inconsistent sizing really annoys me. (If anyone is interested in style/size comparisons, I sent back a pair of Frye Lynn boots because my toes were pressing against the fronts in an 11. These are not as short as those.)

The boots arrived with a dull, waxy appearance, which is probably because the leather is waxed. Wax tends to "bloom"--especially when exposed to changing temperatures. Not to worry--I buffed it off easily with a piece of an old towel. You can see the before and after in my photo. You could also use a bit of mink oil or shoe polish for more shine, if desired.

On the whole, a really nice boot that may need a little work to look good and fit well.
on November 9, 2015
The three decorative straps in the back secure on one end with a snap and on the other end like a belt buckle. When I was trying them on in front of the mirror, before I even wore them out of the house, the inside part (ring) of one of the metal snaps fell off (see first photo). I figured, no biggie, I'll just glue it back on, which I did using flexible industrial strength glue that is suitable for leather. The very first time I wore them the button part (the part that every one sees) of the same snap that I had glued (see second photo), fell off and the other snaps kept coming undone the entire time. By the end of the night I had taken off three of the six decorative straps so they wouldn't dangle open. Had I worn these boots right away I could have returned them but I didn't wear them for two months and now it's past the return period. Perhaps the rest of the boot is well made but the decorative straps are no good so if you must by Frye boots I recommend getting plain ones that don't have the extra straps,
on September 15, 2015
Love these boots! Like most of the other reviews have said, they do run about a half size small. I'm usually an 8 with a really wide foot, but the 8.5 was the perfect length. I started off just wearing leggings under them until the alcohol and water solution stretched out the shaft of the boots, and after two nights of wearing them around after work, they were perfect. The zipper is tough at first, but I just moved the zippers up and down a few times until they started moving more easily. I'm a teacher, so I'm on my feet all day walking around, as well as having a kneecap that dislocated in April and has been bothering me since the school year started, but I can wear these boots for 10+ hours without any issues. I got the dark brown stoned antique color, and it's awesome for matching with most of my clothes. They do come out of the box looking really distressed, but I used some of the Frye leather conditioning balm, and it worked amazingly well at restoring the color and making the leather more supple when I was trying to break the boots in. Can't wait to get them in more colors!