5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and stylish boots
Published on January 24, 2009 by Lynne

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool.......
These boots are cool but heavy! I did a quick walk through my house and I felt like my feet had luggage!
I'd probably appreciate the boots more in the winter.
I ordered the color Dark Brown and the boots arrived looking nothing like the picture.
The boots in the picture are like a beautiful rich dark soild color brown.
The pair I recieved had different...
Published on September 24, 2010 by MiniMouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and stylish boots, January 24, 2009
Lynne (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
Bought these in my regular size, which gives a "roomy" fit. Considered getting a size smaller, but felt it would be too tight on my bunions, and also felt I wouldn't be able to wear a decent-weight sock. They are breaking in beautifully. My husband (who knows about stuff like this) explained to me that the sliding in the heel was the proper fit and would stop as the boots were broken in (he was right!). He also said that if the boot is snug in the heel when you try it on, it is not a proper fit. Also, the tan color is a beautiful distressed leather.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite boots, October 30, 2007
I love my Frye boots! I own several pairs of the 12R Harness boots and they are so comfortable. They do run a little big, so I always order a half size down (I generally wear an 8, but in Frye boots I order a 7.5), but I have also found that are a little narrow around the toe area. I have narrow feet to begin with, so if you have wider feet, you may run into some trouble.

If your boots are tight in a couple of areas, I will also suggest getting your boots professionally stretched by a cobbler. I live in a rather remote mountain town that doesn't have a shoe repair shop, so I bought a wooden shoe stretcher and some spray to stretch out the few spots that were tight. It worked really well and now I have room for all of my toes so that they aren't squished.

These boots look great with everything - jeans, corduroy pants and long skirts especially. If you are looking for some boots with a little attitude, I highly recommend them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips on Sizing...Best Boots I've Ever Owned!!, October 6, 2011
This review is from: FRYE Women's Harness 12R Boot (Apparel)
These boots are the highest quality and best fitting boots I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I bought the Tan color in a size 10, originally, but had to return them for a size 11 because there wasn't enough room in the toe box. By going from a 10 to an 11, I gained about a half inch in foot length and about a 1/4 inch on either side of the foot so I had more room for my toes. There was also more room in the calf. My feet aren't wide but my calves are. I'm normally a size 11 in running shoes and a size 10-11 in dress shoes, and the 11 fits great. The 10 was VERY difficult to get on, and I could only wear them with very thin socks. I could tell just by walking around my apartment that they were too small.

Beware of other reviews that tell you to buy 1/2 size down. I can imagine those individuals were looking for a snugger fit, and may have narrower feet, but I was looking for comfort. I usually wear boots for fall and winter, and knew I wanted to be able to wear a thicker sock, plus some kind of cushion insole for added comfort. I can do that with the size 11. I'm just over 5'8", athletic build, huge calves (17.5" at the widest part) and the 12R fits just fine -- the boot shaft ends before the fullest part of the calf. For the size 11's the boot shaft circumference is about 16 3/4 inches, hits at mid-lower calf, and I still have about an inch of room to tuck in jeans.

TIPS FOR SIZING: When I first got the 10's they were a bit snug, but I thought they would mold to my foot. However, I then read a lot of information about the way western boots are supposed to fit. I had pressure on my pinkie toes and the boots were very difficult to get on, even after pulling them on and off a few times. According to what I read, you should always try your western boots on with a thicker sock, and there should be about a finger's width of heel slippage in the back of your foot, which will lessen as you wear them. You should not have pressure on your outer toes, and you should be able to wiggle your toes easily in the boot. Also, the toe box is constructed of resin-dipped cloth layers, which harden a great deal before it is covered with the leather for the toe box, so the toe box WILL NOT STRETCH OR MOLD to your foot!! If they don't fit right in the toe box, get a half size or a whole size up depending on the thickness of socks you intend to wear. Only the heel and sole will mold to your foot. Also, fun fact -- western cowboy boots were constructed with the raised heel for keeping the rider's foot in the stirrup, and they were supposed to be loose enough to come off the rider in case he/she fell off the horse so the rider wouldn't get dragged to death while the horse ran off. I know it's a pain to return online stuff, but these boots should be VERY COMFORTABLE if they fit you right and it's totally worth it to exchange for the right sizing.

So, good luck finding your size in these boots. They're made in the USA, they're well-made, and I know they'll last a lifetime. They look great under pants or over jeans. I am already plotting my next purchase. I also purchased the Frye Leather Conditioning cream for boot care and maintenance. I saved a bunch off the retail price buying the boots from here. Thank you Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Comfort of Frye, November 11, 2005
These are, by far, the most comfortable boots I have ever owned! I am a huge fan of Dansko clogs, and these Frye boots are just as comfortable and sturdy! They run a bit on the large side, about a half size difference. You will love them!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Setting the record straight for buyers who are on the fence...., January 9, 2014
I don't normally leave reviews but I feel that I have to leave one for these boots. I have been lusting after these boots for a long time. I'm always very leery about purchasing something so expensive for my feet online without the ability to try them on first. After reading some very misguided reviews on these boots I almost gave up. However, the price was just TOO GOOD for these! Based on another's positive review and a size/situation similar to mine, I took the plunge.
First, the fit : wonderful. I am a size 9 and I ordered a size 9. I have another pair of Frye boots from a few years ago and those too are my size. I don't understand this advice to size up or down. The size 9 in these boots fit me perfectly. I have wide feet and little to no arches so my toes spread a little more. I find the room in the toe box to be just fine for my wide feet. Second, the calf fit. I'm always worried about calf fit on Fryes because I'm very athletic with muscular calves. There is PLENTY of room for your calves in these! I am able to wear these over jeans and still have a little wiggle room.
Second, the look/style/color: I love the look of these so much. The picture is slightly misleading though. In the picture for the dark brown color that I ordered, there are touches of a golden brown color. The boots in person are just straight up dark brown with light distressed marks here and there. I'm happy with the color though. They look really good in person and will age well.
Overall, I have not taken these off of my feet since I got them! They are so comfortable right out of the box. No breaking in necessary. This is very different from my Frye Campus boots which took a long time to stretch out and feel good.
Also, I highly recommend the Frye conditioning cream for your boots. Amazon used to carry it, but I could not find it here last week. I wound up ordering the conditioning cream right off the Frye website - it's only $9 and so worth it for the life of your boots. I put a small amount on the front of these boots just to help preserve the area that gets the toughest wear.
Right now, at $160 for these boots, it's worth the investment! You cannot beat this price for boots that take 190 steps to handcraft. Frye boots truly are the best and worth every penny. They will last years and years. I'm a pretty frugal person and would rather just spend $30 on boots at Target, but in my mind the price is well justified because it means I will have boots that will never go out of style and will last me almost a lifetime. Best purchase I have made in a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two More Cents, January 4, 2013
Advice About Boot Size From Someone Who Owns Three Pairs of Frye Boots

While I can't speak for anyone else, ordering my correct size has worked for me for all three pairs of boots that I've purchased from Frye. I own the Paige, the Veronica Slouch, and now these Harness 12R Boots, which are each very different from the others, and I plan to keep going as my budget allows.

I personally haven't needed to order either upwards or downwards from my true size, and I believe that doing so would be harmful to my feet because there is no extra room in my correct size around the shaft or around the foot to accommodate a smaller size.

I found I just "knew" I was at the right size, which is an 8.5, and since I always wear an 8.5, I decided not to fiddle with it since it was working for me. While I have had to break my boots in, -- meaning that they are tight and need to loosen, especially around the shaft so that I can take them off --they were not excruciating to the point where they caused blisters. For me, breaking the boots in was a natural process of the leather giving, and the boot relaxing.

In my case, which is all I can speak to, I had a somewhat difficult time getting the boots on (especially the Paige Boot, but once they were on, they fit correctly. I don't know if this was because the Paige is a harder style to put on, or if I was just inexperienced with puttin' ma boots on. As others have spoken to, there is some give at the back of the heel which another writer has already said indicates a correct fit. The reason I know they are not too loose is because I know that I couldn't possibly fit into a smaller or a larger size, so therefore, this is my correct size.

Another thing to realize about these boots is that when you observe the boot and observe your foot, it feels like your foot would never fit into that boot, like your about to stuff a sausage into its casing, but once you get your foot past the ankle area over the lip of the heel, they will slide right in. That is another indication of a correct fit.

I realize this is very confusing, especially for first-time buyers. I hope this helps. It isn't easy to figure out what will work for you, but once you do, you can order with confidence.

My Advice About Putting Your Boots On:

Using the loops on the boots to guide you and to help you pull, pull on the first part of the boot while sitting down, and the last part of the boot while standing up; then you will slide into the boot at the end with ease. It will make even the tightest boot seem easy to put on.

My Advice About Taking Your Boots Off:

Now, getting them off is another story altogether. Leave your boots on for 12-24 hours before you take them off again for the first time so that they have time to break in a bit before you have to tussle with them. I also recommend tucking some light leggings or something in them.

Tuck as much of the material in as possible. Then you will find that it isn't so bad to slip them off again. The longer you wait to take them off, the easier it will be to do so. - And yes, I do realize that means sleeping in them! But hey, they never said it was easy. Boots aren't for sissies. They really are worth the trouble, though, otherwise people wouldn't have been wearing them since 1000 B.C. (Wikipedia)

I love the shape of the Harness shoe. It does not pinch my toes because it is square, and the color is great - Tan, which, as others have said, is really more of a rustic brown. It almost looks like its covered in dust. I know that sounds gross, but it really is a nice look!

5.0 out of 5 stars Converted Frye Lover, thanks to the Harness boots., May 26, 2009
This review is from: FRYE Women's Harness 12R Boot (Apparel)
I purchased my boots in brown from Nordstroms (on a whim, and just before my wallet was stolen)! I vowed to wear the boots every day until all my accounts were settled and I had all my new id's in. Here's a summary.

Day 1 consisted of running my hands over the soft leather and admiring the buckles all day.
Day 2 was a little painful- I was on my feet all day, and I have high arches. I remedied this by adding insoles (they remain to this day!).
Days 3=7 was also painful. The seam just above the bucks was getting worn in to my ankle, and caused some sore spots. I rubbed a little oil in soften it a bit more, and wore thick socks.

After two weeks, the shoes were fully broken in, and my satisfaction took off. I wear them with everything. I get many compliments (from men and women). I need to get the pads on the base of the heels replaced, since they did fall off (these are consumable, in my opinion), and would highly recommend insoles, especially if you also have high arches. I wore these for six months straight, and only wore something else when my Frye Campus boots came in. They have a lovely patina now, and I'm sure I'll be wearing them for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, September 13, 2007
Just received the boots (Harness 12R) and they are beautiful! I could tell as soon as I put them on they would be very comfortable. I was concerned about a 2 inch heel but you can barely tell. I wear a size 9 to 9 1/2 and I ordered a 9. They fit perfect. With just the right amount of slip on the heel and not too tight in the toe box. I am sooo excited for Autumn!! Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Olive 12R, April 29, 2009
This review is from: FRYE Women's Harness 12R Boot (Apparel)
After spending (seriously) the better part of a decade wanting a pair of 12Rs, I finally broke down and got them. I have a really hard time justifying the cost to myself, but I figured if I was still thinking about them all these years later (and on an at-least-weekly basis, no less!)... Well, I should go ahead and get them *laugh*

And they, like my other Frye boots, are lovely.

* They DO run large, as noted (I am an almost textbook 7.5 in all shoes, no matter the maker), but it is an almost perfect half-size high run - an easy fix. The 7s are perfect.
* They are a tiny bit snug across the widest part of my foot (the big toe "knuckle" and across), but should stretch easily and comfortably with wear. It's not an uncomfortable tightness.
* The shaft is fairly wide - I have muscular calves and find that many boots won't fit as a result. These move freely around my calves; for some, this may be a drawback if you are looking for something fitted.

The only downside I have is with regard to the specific colour I purchased. I got the olive, because I like my shoes in non-standard neutrals (black's fine and all, but... I like to mix it up some). While they are green, they are not the olive I had hoped for - they are closer to a light sage than a dark olive. I believe this will be easily rectified with appropriate oil care, but it was a little startling initially. I have done two light oil coats, and I can already see them deepening - just something about which I wish I had been warned.

All in all, though, another excellent boot from the fine folks at Frye. I am pleased to have these next to my Campus 14s in the closet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Birthday to Me, January 15, 2011
I heard once that if a pair of shoes isn't comfortable the minute you put them on your feet, they're never going to be. That the "breaking in" process doesn't really exist. I'm not sure whether I subscribe to that, but I will say that these boots were comfy from the first minute I put them on. That being said, it took a while to actually get them on. I can not wear socks with them; the friction of the sock rubbing against the suede interior creates a problem that can only be fixed (in my case at least) with naked feet. I think a trouser sock may work, but I don't have any to test that theory on. Also- I bought the distressed brown, love the color, but it's not nearly as dark as the picture would let you think. It looks more like the color 'tan' on the site. I'm extremely happy, but I want to make note of the color differences between reality and photography. It's extreme in this case. The distressed portion of the boot seems to be mainly in the shaft, it's very supple. The remainder of the boot looks, and is, much less flexible which I believe contributed to my having difficulty getting them on. There are reviews out there that state that there's plenty of room to tuck in skinny jeans, "and that's saying something because I have large calves". I was excited to read this because I too have large calves. I do not, however think there will be enough room to tuck in skinny jeans. I wore them last night with leggings, and that worked, but I'm skeptical about there being enough room for denim in my case. Word to the wise- MEASURE your calf before you order. The shaft height seems to begin at the top of the foot, 12" from the ankle is the top of the boot. Measure if 12" from your ankle and measure around your leg. If it's 16" or under, you're golden. Otherwise, these are going to scrunch a little. But I think that'd still be cute, because these boots are so gorgeous. I usually wear a 10, I bought a 10. I'd tried these on in a shoe store before buying on Amazon and found out that I can't get the 9.5 on (remember how hard it was to get the 10 on), I agree with the other reviewers that a half size smaller than normal size would probably fit better, but I know that for me personally I'd never be able to get them on to find out whether I'm right. So- with all that being said, if you love them and you've been lusting after them for years like I had been, rest assured that you're making a good purchase. You truly will love your Frye boots.

FRYE Women's Harness 12R Boot