5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome boots
Published on October 14, 2009 by Nijey

3.0 out of 5 stars A few complaints, but still glad I did it!
In general a really nice pair of boots. I will definitely say they are very narrow in the arch. My feet are very narrow and it felt tight to wear for the first couple of days. They were also surprisingly tight around my calves but loosened up very quickly after wearing them for a day. My only other complaint overall is that I guess for a $300 pair of boots I still...
Published on December 18, 2011 by cherry

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome boots, October 14, 2009
Nijey (New Haven, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot (Apparel)
These are great boots. Sturdy and slightly clunky, but without being too casual or manly. The toe is rounded, but not as blunt as the Campus boots, making these more versatile and classic. The heel height is manageable, even if you walk a lot. Be prepared for a long-ish break-in period as these boots are made of thick, real leather, including the soles. A little slippage in the heel area is a good thing. It'll go away once you've broken these in. I found these boots to be true to size. I initially ordered them a half-size smaller after reading a number of reviews here and elsewhere, but found them to be WAY too tight and nearly impossible to put on. Definitely go with your normal shoe size unless you happen to have very narrow feet and thin calves (I have normal width feet and athletic calves). I might have to get the shaft stretched a little so that I can tuck jeans into these, but otherwise I'm very happy with my purchase. I can tell right away that I'll be wearing these for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Boot But........, August 12, 2011
The Boot is everything shown and described but it is very tight at the ankle and needs to be worked in. if you have a thicker ankle or a wider foot this is not the boot for you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars And the winner is......., December 7, 2009
This review is from: FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot (Apparel)
After and long and arduous process (as Amazon and other vendors, UPS driver, and my husband can attest) I have FINALLY found my dressy boots. Being 5'9", having calfs that can bloat up to 15+", and being picky over what I wanted, it took many trials of different Frye boots to find something I love and works for me! Didn't try this style initially as I did not think it would fit around my calfs. But after other styles not working for various reasons, I figured what the heck. SO glad I did. These boots look and feel great, just fit over my calfs, have a perfect height heel, and are made with leather that is a good weight with a nice look and feel. Thanks Amazon for being patient with me. The hours of searching paid off with this high quality boot I feel I can comfortably live with for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic-Looking Boots with a little Edge, November 16, 2009
This review is from: FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot (Apparel)
I got these boots and have been wearing them just about every weekend non-stop for months now. Lots of compliments.

They look great with skirts or over skinny jeans. Perfect for a girls' night out, comfortable, a little edgy but still dressy. I've worn them to the park for impromptu picnics and then to an evening out at the local bar.

Pros:
- Beautiful, classic style.
- Sturdy construction, good craftsmanship. Been wearing them for months now and no issues at all.
- Easy to break in.
- Heel is perfect height, not too high, not too low, and very comfortable to walk in.

Cons:
- With the sturdy construction comes a little weight. These are not lightweight boots but no worse than some of my other Frye boots.

I know they'll last me for years and years to come. Very happy with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Frye Boots !, January 4, 2011
This is my second pair of Frye boots. My first pair were the Fiona Stitch boot in black -- I wear a 5.5 and found that they were TIGHT to get on ( but when I would get them on they were awesome ! ) -- so on this pair of Jane's I went up a half size to a 6 - and they are a just a tad too big around the top of the boot, but then again I have skinny calves ( 5'1 - 107 lbs ) I love love love these boots more than my first pair - I get compliments on them constantly - whenever I wear them. the leather is amazing and thick. the more chunky heel is PERFECT for cruising around town without looking slutty ( think stilleto heel ) and can be worn with skinnies, jeggings or leggings. I wear these ALL the time now ! I'd love to get a pair in black and throw the rest of my boots away !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars These boots are an INVESTMENT!!!!, February 1, 2012
This review is from: FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot (Apparel)
By investing I mean investing in your comfort, looks, and health of your foot. First let me tell you I have bunions that make shoe fitting worse than a bikini fitting. I mean imagine trying on bikinis after New Years with all the extra turkey pounds and unshaved bikini line...yes, that ugly. So when I first slipped on these boots I felt an instant love and connection that is only experienced when a puppy falls asleep on your lap. I walked over to the full length mirror and the world stopped. It was just me and the boot on. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I walked around thinking that my feet would hurt or something, but it did not. Instant love, instant comfort. I wasn't even heartbroken when I saw the $350 price tag because I knew a boot this awesome is not for everyone. Only for people who like to be treated like a queen from a boot. I purchased them a few weeks later since I had to make the case to my husband (who buys his shirts from WalMart) about WHY I had to have these boots. I wear them all the time with just about anything. They are extremely comfortable, even after hours of walking. I get so many compliments and jealous looks from them that I have to be careful not to wear them around unmedicated bi-polar drama queens. Now, I said these boots are an investment because of the comfort and you won't be wasting your money paying a podiatrist to fix your feet. Trust me when I say you won't regret purchasing these boots. Maybe your utility bill might be late or your might go hungry for a few days, but it's sooooo worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, November 1, 2013
This review is from: FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot (Apparel)
These boots are gorgeous. I have one pair of Fyre Harness boots from years ago that were a graduation gift from my parents that have held up amazingly well. I have had numerous styles on various wish lists since then over many years and have decided that it is now time to get my own pair of new Fryes! I settled on the Janes. (In all honesty, because a sales associate at Anthropologie was wearing them and looked so fab!)I was conflicted on which size to order given a fairly even mix of reviews stating "true to size" and "run 1/2 size large." (And I think I read all the reviews on about 12 different websites.) I usually wear a 7 1/2 in most shoes, and my Harnesses are 7 1/2. I first ordered size 7 and was SO sad that I could not get my left foot in AT ALL. For some reason I was able to coax my right foot in, which is my bigger foot, using the plastic grocery bag technique I've read about in several Frye reviews. But not the left. The hang up was in the front/ankle area of the boot and my left arch. (I have very high arches.) It could not make the turn to get into the footbed. I tried several days in a row, hoping for miraculous stretching of leather... but it was not possible! So, I exchanged for the 7 1/2. I still had to huff and puff and literally break a sweat to get them on, but SUCCESS! They are a bit tight around my "athletic" calves in thinnish socks. I haven't braved them with skinny jeans/jeggings yet. I'm going to chose to believe the reviewers that claim with wear, they will mold and stretch. They feel narrow, but I do have a wider toe area, and again I'm counting on a little stretching. The length does feel slightly larger than most 7 1/2s, but they aren't huge feeling on me. No major slippage. I'm 99% sure I'm keeping them. I've trampled a nice runway in the carpet in front of my full-length mirror admiring them. The Redwood color is beautiful. The leather is thick. The grain is different between shoes. My 7s had a nicer hue to the foot/toe area, with the tips being subtly darker, however the shaft was quite pebbled, which is a look I don't prefer. The 7 1/2s I got to replace them were much smoother, however the color tone was more uniform and thus a bit more boring in my opinion. But, they are still gorgeous. The style reminds me of vintage 70s and I LOVE that. Can be casual or dressy and will be timeless. The only reason why I'm hesitating is that, due to the tightness on my calfs, they tend to slouch down just a bit and scrunch around the ankles. I think this will improve with time and stretching too. But, for the price tag, I really want them to be perfect. (I don't know who all you people are who get "one in every color" or a new pair every year! JEALOUS!)

Short version:
Size: They do run slightly large in the footbed, but my true size works fine. If you have very flat feet, you might consider sizing down, however if you have high arches like me, you might need the extra room from above to get your foot in.
Width: Slightly narrow
Calf: My bare calves measure about 14.5" and these JUST FIT with thin socks
Overall appearance: RAD
Reservations: Need for stretching to be able to wear comfortably across my toes and around the calves with jeans, etc. Mild scrunching at ankles I think due to my bigger calves. (I was a ballet dancer for years and now a runner... whether or not I'm athletic is debatable, but I love that it is the universally accepted term for girls with bigger calves who don't have the luxury of fitting perfectly into all tall boots... aka ME!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my boots!, September 15, 2013
This review is from: FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot (Shoes)
I usually wear between a 9 and a 9.5. I ordered these boots (Jane 14L) in a 10. I wanted to be able to put in a pair of orthodtics as I have plantar fascitis. I was told by a shoe specialist to use the superfeet half sole. The boots are absolutely comfortable with the insert, do not pinch or hurt or blister anywhere and provide great support (with the orthotic).I I wore them around the house for a half hour a couple times before going out. They do not pinch. They do not need to be stretched. I would have returned them if that had been the case because I don't do the whole "breaking in" shoe thing (I notice I'm usually crippled before the shoes are broken in.). My calves are 13.5 and I am 5 8. The calf fits just right, not too snug or too loose. I can fit skinny jeans in to. I'm glad I didn't get the extended, which I considered doing, but I didn't like how thick the extended boot looked online, almost like rain boots. The boots aren't too hard to put on or take off and I'm glad I don't have to worry about a zipper. They feel good and fit great.

I am so glad about that because these boots are gorgeous, the leather is dark brown and soft, but sturdy and returning them would have been awful. I obsessed over them for months before taking the plunge, read all the reviews. I've never owned a pair of Frye boots before and was bit by a "boot bug." I'm generally extremely frugal, and I don't think I've bought anything that cost this much in a long time that has given me this much pleasure (I'm 50). I LOVE THEM!

5.0 out of 5 stars These boots are made for walking!, December 12, 2009
Chan (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot (Apparel)
Size: I usually wear size 6 but I brought the 5.5 and fit perfect even when I wear my wool socks.
Style: I just love love this pair of Frye boots, my skinny jeans, leggings, and tights all fit great with this pair.
Best Part: They are truly made for walking!!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful boots, November 17, 2009
Marissa (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot (Apparel)
This is my second pair of Frye boots and they don't disappoint. I bought the sunrise color and it is beautiful, it will look great with a lot of my wardrobe. I normally wear an 8 1/2 or 9 and purchased these in an 8 1/2, the fit is perfect. the calves are a little tight but I have very althletic calves so that's not a surprise. I'm wearing them around the house to see if i can stretch them out, if not i will take them in to a cobbler. Overall a beautiful boot that I highly recommend. and they are Frye, which means they will last forever!

FRYE Women's Jane 14L Boot