4.0 out of 5 stars Melissa Button Extended Calf
Published on August 27, 2012 by R. Graves

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an extended calf
I have a 15" calf, and the 8.5 will not go on my foot. It fit no differently than most regular boots I have tried on. Extremely disappointed. The 9 did fit over my calf but with absolutely no room for pants and a poor, bunchy fit at the ankle. Skip these if you are even borderline with an extended calf fit.
Published on December 3, 2012 by kooka14

4.0 out of 5 stars Melissa Button Extended Calf, August 27, 2012
R. Graves (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I have 17" solid muscle dancer's calves, so finding boots that fit in the calf but don't bunch around the ankle is hard... and let's face it - this season is Riding Boot Crazy Town, with every manufacturer from here to the moon making their own version. Frye, luckily, has had quite some time to perfect their riding boots, and are known to equestrians everywhere. The Melissa Button Extended Calf Boot is more dainty than her counterpart, the FRYE Women's Veronica Slouch 77609 Knee-High Boot, and is very simple in lines and form. They are slightly taller than the Veronica Slouch, but do not go all the way up to the knee, and have a V-shape similar to a cowboy boot in the front top of the shaft detail, with two loops at the sides to help you pull them on. Low heeled and built for comfort, these have a small amount of arch support in the foot bed, if that's something you need, but honestly, it feels more like a reinforcement support for the stirrups if you ride. They are slimmer than the Veronica Slouch, which is more bulky and a bit biker-casual. The Extended Calf is also slightly tight on me, right leg in particular, but this can be loosened up with a professional shoe-stretch at your local cobbler. They don't bother my bunions...yet. These are also leather-lined, which I prefer over the Veronica Slouch. Make sure you purchase the "extended" selection with your color, or you will get the normal size shaft. If you are trying to decide (because it's not like we have many choices in the wide-calf or extended-calf boot market) between the Melissa Button Boot and the Veronica Slouch, Melissa is more sleek, more work appropriate, and also functions well as riding a boot. Neither boot will go all the way up. Don't buy Melissa if you don't like the slight cowboy look to the shaft opening. Make sure you order a half-size down. I'm a 9.5W-10B, generally--a 9.5B in Fryes--and the size 9B fit best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful boots, just what I was looking for., March 3, 2011
Season after season I have been waiting to find the perfect "riding boot" only to be disappointed by styling or quality. I have to admit it would take a special piece of footwear for me to spend close to $300. That said, these boots are what I've been holding out for!

I got the Melissa Button Boot in Black, in my normal size, and was thrilled when they fit perfectly, even with a nice tapered toe. The tapered toe and plain shaft (no ugly zipper!) give them a beautiful classic look, and the leather looks like with proper care it will only get better over the years. There is a pleasant leathery smell when you open the box, not a rubber or chemical smell.

To address the issues other people have seen:
-Yes the soles are smooth out of the box. But just trying them on and walking on some asphalt scored them up well enough for my tastes (although there is no ice or snow here to worry about).
-The shaft is a little snug on me, but I have larger than average muscular calves, and the boots still look flattering, and more tailored compared to having a loose shaft. I wouldn't be able to fit normal jeans in there, but leggings or jean leggings will fit fine.
-Also I agree that these may need an insole insert if you plan on wearing them for walking around or standing a lot.
-I didn't have a hard time sliding them on, the loops at the top of the shaft are very sturdy and worked perfectly fo their intended purpose. Removal was a breeze, I've had shorter boots that were harder to remove than these.

Hopefully that helps, I know I read all these reviews carefully before ordering, I'm glad I went ahead and did it and am very happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad customer service, Great shoes, October 16, 2012
While I realize that this is a product review, I would also like to share my experience with Amazon so that no one has to go through what I did. As far as the boots go, they are great, as long as you can actually get the correct boots from Amazon. When I finally did receive the correct boots from Amazon I weather proofed them using the Frye conditioning cream, and wore them around to break them in.

The best advice I can give is find out the exact name of the color that you want first, and then order from Amazon based on the name of the color, rather than the picture.

I originally ordered the "Dark Brown Brush off Leather" color. It was a dark chocolate colored boot in the picture. What I received were lighter milk chocolate colored boots. At the time I was pretty disappointed, but I figured it was an honest mistake on Amazon's behalf, so I called customer service and spoke to a representative, who apologized and immediately ordered me another pair of the Dark Brown Brush off Leather and upgraded my shipping to one day shipping. She also emailed me a return label for the first pair. I received the 2nd pair of boots the next day, and they were the exact same ones as the first one. Clearly this wasn't a mistake of grabbing the wrong box, this was a mistake on their website of picture not matching the item received. This time I was a little more annoyed and concerned because the problem was in their system. I called Amazon to tell them I again received the wrong pair, and how I could prevent this from happening the 3rd time I ordered them. I explained the situation to a representative of Amazon CS, and told them about the issue on their website of having the wrong pictures listed with the color names. Then I found the exact name of the color boots I wanted and went by the color name on Amazon's website rather than the picture (which looked more like a distressed reddish color), and I ordered the "dark brown soft vintage leather" boots about a week later. This was the 3rd time ordering these boots. The cherry on top of everything was when I opened the box I found that I had received a pair of black, Eastland brand, Size 11 Men's loafers. Are you kidding me? How hard is it to get the right picture to match the color, and fill an online order. There is clearly a disconnect between the stockroom and customer service.

I had to re-order these boots 4 times. By the 4th time I was so sick of reordering them that if they had not been the right boots, I would've just given up.
The problem was that the pictures that Amazon had put up for the boots did not match the color of the boots nor the name of the color. I chose my boots based off of the picture simply because, like a normal person, I did not know the exact name of the color I wanted and I assumed the colors listed went with the picture. I probably called Amazon a good 12 times before FINALLY getting the right ones. The fourth time I had to re-order I just about had enough. I FINALLY received the right color boots the 4th time. For a company as big as Amazon, you would think that they might go out of their way to please an unhappy and LOYAL customer, but they really did nothing to wow me with their customer service.

To those of you ordering the popular cognac color, you're probably fine since there is only one shade of cognac. For those that want to order a brown shade however, I would suggest doing your research on the color name beforehand. I have never had so much trouble with an order from Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an extended calf, December 3, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon sent me used boots!, November 12, 2014
I absolutely love Fry boots, only reason i'm giving it one star is because amazon sent me a pair that was noticeably worn. If I am buying a high end boot I expect it to be brand new. Already purchased the same pair (brand new) from Nordstrom and extremely happy with the look and quality of my Melissa button boots.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit narrow in the toe box....but beautiful boots!, December 1, 2014
vlc (Littleton CO) - See all my reviews
These are beautiful boots and fantastic quality. I first ordered a size 6 (my usual boot size) and they were too big length-wise but the toe box was perfect. So, I ended up re-ordering in size 5 1/2. The length is perfect in the 5 1/2 with lightweight socks but the width is narrow - I am thinking about taking them to a shoe cobbler to have them stretched in the width.....or just trying to break them in slowly. I actually like wearing boots without socks sometimes - less confining....so they seem fine without socks. One thing to keep in mind if you're short like me (only 5'1").....the difference in the height between a size 5 1/2 and a 6 is 1/4", I believe......that makes a bit of a difference for me and makes the 5 1/2 sizing a better fit (height-wise). Hope this helps. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Boots!, November 26, 2014
I have been looking for a reasonably priced boot constructed of a high quality leather. I was not interested in boots constructed of a leather upper with a manmade liner or ones that will not hold up for seasons to come. These were better than I hoped they would be. The leather is of excellent quality and very smooth and soft to the touch. They also have a strong leather aroma which is really quite pleasant. Also, in my opinion, the Cognac color is much nicer than what is depicted in this posting. I was initially concerned they would have more of a red tone but that was not the case. Another concern of mine was with how the button would look and hold up. I was very pleasantly surprised at how solid the connection was and how much you could pull on the tabs when pulling the boots on.

I read on the Frye website that they recommend sizing up a half size as this boot tends to run small. I am typically a solid 7.5 and thankfully I purchased a size 8 because the 7.5 would definitely not have fit. I also noticed I had a bit of difficulty putting my feet into the boots the first time I tried them on. I have a slightly higher arch and this seemed enough of an issue for those with high arches to take into consideration when selecting a size. I believe had my arch been much higher I would have been better off buying an 8.5. Also, I initially found the toe box a little on the narrow side. I did notice these were less of an issue after being worn for a while.

As other reviewers mentioned it may be difficult for these boots to be worn with jeans tucked in unless you have particularly slender calves. I was able to wear a slim cut pair of jeans in a thinner material (they weren't as thin as jeggings) but it was a tight fit. I believe as the leather is broken in over time this may be less of an issue. If not, the leather is of such a high quality it would likely be possible to have the boot shaft stretched a bit.

I highly recommend these boots and am very happy with my purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic boot, March 25, 2013
I have been waiting a long time to finally purchase a pair of Frye boots. Considering they are so expensive I'm glad I waited till I finally found the perfect pair.

I stumbled upon these boots at a Bloomingdales in LA. The price was slightly higher at Bloomingdales so of course I was happy to buy them here on Amazon $40 dollars cheaper. So my advice if you see Fryes out and about you like.. try them on and check Amazon to see if you can purchase them cheaper.

I read a ton of reviews on this Melissa style and one consistent negative about this boot in the bottom. I almost slipped on my butt a few times the first time I put them on. The bottom of the sole is very slick. But all they really need is a few twist and turns on some good concrete to scuff up the bottoms.

Lastly, what I did as soon as I got my boots was oil them with mink oil. It changed the color slightly.. just a tad bit darker but not enough to really worry about it. I did some searching on Google as to which oil was best for Frye boots and mink oil seemed to work best for people.

Hope this helps someone!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, September 30, 2013
They are gorgeous boots, a little to snug. But hopefully after wearing them they will loosen up. Oh and they are super dark brown, on the brink of black. But still so gorgeous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous boot, October 19, 2013
Love this boot. I usually order a 1/2 size up in tall fryes. I find them easier to get on. It's a very comfortable boot. I get lots of compliments. A little narrower in the calf than some boots

FRYE Women's Melissa Button Boot