4.0 out of 5 stars Melissa Button Extended Calf
Published on August 27, 2012 by R. Graves

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an extended calf
I have a 15" calf, and the 8.5 will not go on my foot. It fit no differently than most regular boots I have tried on. Extremely disappointed. The 9 did fit over my calf but with absolutely no room for pants and a poor, bunchy fit at the ankle. Skip these if you are even borderline with an extended calf fit.
Published 21 months ago by kooka14

4.0 out of 5 stars Melissa Button Extended Calf, August 27, 2012
R. Graves (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I have 17" solid muscle dancer's calves, so finding boots that fit in the calf but don't bunch around the ankle is hard... and let's face it - this season is Riding Boot Crazy Town, with every manufacturer from here to the moon making their own version. Frye, luckily, has had quite some time to perfect their riding boots, and are known to equestrians everywhere. The Melissa Button Extended Calf Boot is more dainty than her counterpart, the FRYE Women's Veronica Slouch 77609 Knee-High Boot, and is very simple in lines and form. They are slightly taller than the Veronica Slouch, but do not go all the way up to the knee, and have a V-shape similar to a cowboy boot in the front top of the shaft detail, with two loops at the sides to help you pull them on. Low heeled and built for comfort, these have a small amount of arch support in the foot bed, if that's something you need, but honestly, it feels more like a reinforcement support for the stirrups if you ride. They are slimmer than the Veronica Slouch, which is more bulky and a bit biker-casual. The Extended Calf is also slightly tight on me, right leg in particular, but this can be loosened up with a professional shoe-stretch at your local cobbler. They don't bother my bunions...yet. These are also leather-lined, which I prefer over the Veronica Slouch. Make sure you purchase the "extended" selection with your color, or you will get the normal size shaft. If you are trying to decide (because it's not like we have many choices in the wide-calf or extended-calf boot market) between the Melissa Button Boot and the Veronica Slouch, Melissa is more sleek, more work appropriate, and also functions well as riding a boot. Neither boot will go all the way up. Don't buy Melissa if you don't like the slight cowboy look to the shaft opening. Make sure you order a half-size down. I'm a 9.5W-10B, generally--a 9.5B in Fryes--and the size 9B fit best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful boots, just what I was looking for., March 3, 2011
Season after season I have been waiting to find the perfect "riding boot" only to be disappointed by styling or quality. I have to admit it would take a special piece of footwear for me to spend close to $300. That said, these boots are what I've been holding out for!

I got the Melissa Button Boot in Black, in my normal size, and was thrilled when they fit perfectly, even with a nice tapered toe. The tapered toe and plain shaft (no ugly zipper!) give them a beautiful classic look, and the leather looks like with proper care it will only get better over the years. There is a pleasant leathery smell when you open the box, not a rubber or chemical smell.

To address the issues other people have seen:
-Yes the soles are smooth out of the box. But just trying them on and walking on some asphalt scored them up well enough for my tastes (although there is no ice or snow here to worry about).
-The shaft is a little snug on me, but I have larger than average muscular calves, and the boots still look flattering, and more tailored compared to having a loose shaft. I wouldn't be able to fit normal jeans in there, but leggings or jean leggings will fit fine.
-Also I agree that these may need an insole insert if you plan on wearing them for walking around or standing a lot.
-I didn't have a hard time sliding them on, the loops at the top of the shaft are very sturdy and worked perfectly fo their intended purpose. Removal was a breeze, I've had shorter boots that were harder to remove than these.

Hopefully that helps, I know I read all these reviews carefully before ordering, I'm glad I went ahead and did it and am very happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad customer service, Great shoes, October 16, 2012
While I realize that this is a product review, I would also like to share my experience with Amazon so that no one has to go through what I did. As far as the boots go, they are great, as long as you can actually get the correct boots from Amazon. When I finally did receive the correct boots from Amazon I weather proofed them using the Frye conditioning cream, and wore them around to break them in.

The best advice I can give is find out the exact name of the color that you want first, and then order from Amazon based on the name of the color, rather than the picture.

I originally ordered the "Dark Brown Brush off Leather" color. It was a dark chocolate colored boot in the picture. What I received were lighter milk chocolate colored boots. At the time I was pretty disappointed, but I figured it was an honest mistake on Amazon's behalf, so I called customer service and spoke to a representative, who apologized and immediately ordered me another pair of the Dark Brown Brush off Leather and upgraded my shipping to one day shipping. She also emailed me a return label for the first pair. I received the 2nd pair of boots the next day, and they were the exact same ones as the first one. Clearly this wasn't a mistake of grabbing the wrong box, this was a mistake on their website of picture not matching the item received. This time I was a little more annoyed and concerned because the problem was in their system. I called Amazon to tell them I again received the wrong pair, and how I could prevent this from happening the 3rd time I ordered them. I explained the situation to a representative of Amazon CS, and told them about the issue on their website of having the wrong pictures listed with the color names. Then I found the exact name of the color boots I wanted and went by the color name on Amazon's website rather than the picture (which looked more like a distressed reddish color), and I ordered the "dark brown soft vintage leather" boots about a week later. This was the 3rd time ordering these boots. The cherry on top of everything was when I opened the box I found that I had received a pair of black, Eastland brand, Size 11 Men's loafers. Are you kidding me? How hard is it to get the right picture to match the color, and fill an online order. There is clearly a disconnect between the stockroom and customer service.

I had to re-order these boots 4 times. By the 4th time I was so sick of reordering them that if they had not been the right boots, I would've just given up.
The problem was that the pictures that Amazon had put up for the boots did not match the color of the boots nor the name of the color. I chose my boots based off of the picture simply because, like a normal person, I did not know the exact name of the color I wanted and I assumed the colors listed went with the picture. I probably called Amazon a good 12 times before FINALLY getting the right ones. The fourth time I had to re-order I just about had enough. I FINALLY received the right color boots the 4th time. For a company as big as Amazon, you would think that they might go out of their way to please an unhappy and LOYAL customer, but they really did nothing to wow me with their customer service.

To those of you ordering the popular cognac color, you're probably fine since there is only one shade of cognac. For those that want to order a brown shade however, I would suggest doing your research on the color name beforehand. I have never had so much trouble with an order from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect winter BOOTS!, November 20, 2013
I first ordered my typical size which is a 7 but didn't wear them for a week because I felt they were too big. So glad I didn't and exchnaged them for the 6 1/2. I can't stop wearing them. They go with everything and have gotten many compliments on them. The price was perfect too....cheaper on Amazon especially if you are a Prime member. If you are looking for a new vintage dark brown boot, these are THEM!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic boot, March 25, 2013
I have been waiting a long time to finally purchase a pair of Frye boots. Considering they are so expensive I'm glad I waited till I finally found the perfect pair.

I stumbled upon these boots at a Bloomingdales in LA. The price was slightly higher at Bloomingdales so of course I was happy to buy them here on Amazon $40 dollars cheaper. So my advice if you see Fryes out and about you like.. try them on and check Amazon to see if you can purchase them cheaper.

I read a ton of reviews on this Melissa style and one consistent negative about this boot in the bottom. I almost slipped on my butt a few times the first time I put them on. The bottom of the sole is very slick. But all they really need is a few twist and turns on some good concrete to scuff up the bottoms.

Lastly, what I did as soon as I got my boots was oil them with mink oil. It changed the color slightly.. just a tad bit darker but not enough to really worry about it. I did some searching on Google as to which oil was best for Frye boots and mink oil seemed to work best for people.

Hope this helps someone!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an extended calf, December 3, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the boots!, October 23, 2013
The boots are beautiful. They fit great, but they are hard to get on at first. After you were them a few times, they stretch out.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, September 30, 2013
They are gorgeous boots, a little to snug. But hopefully after wearing them they will loosen up. Oh and they are super dark brown, on the brink of black. But still so gorgeous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly darker than expected, August 17, 2013
Love these boots. Color is a lot dark than what I expected, but I am still in love. Tight in the ankle when you're putting them on, but if you can get them on they are true to size

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous boot, October 19, 2013
Love this boot. I usually order a 1/2 size up in tall fryes. I find them easier to get on. It's a very comfortable boot. I get lots of compliments. A little narrower in the calf than some boots

FRYE Women's Melissa Button Knee-High Boot