Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: FRYE Women's Melissa Tall Riding
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 27, 2013
The boots are beautiful. I have a foot that is a little wide and they fit great. I got my usual size in 7.5. The only drawback is that they were quite a bit tight in the calf. I never had any problem like this with other tall boots. My calves are not big. I managed to put them on and decided to keep them in hopes they will stretch. And they did. It's easier to pull them on with every wear. No problems wearing them with tights and now I am able to wear them with skinny jeans. They have leather lining so they do stretch to mould to your legs.
on September 27, 2014
This basic black riding boot is like the quintessential black dress. Its a must for every gals wardrobe. Timeless and classy. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm your run of the mill boot whore collector. I just love my boots and I have some from all shapes and sizes. My most coveted are my Frye boots. I own 6 pairs. This Melissa boot would have been 7th but I had to send them back because of fit issues and I haven't decided if I should exchange them and try for a better fit. I wanted to write a review though because reviews help me a ton and I noticed that there were not enough reviews from girls with not so skinny calves. Mine measure just about 15" at the widest part. With that said I've had hit or misses with boots. I don't quite make it into the wide calve boot category because then they look too bulky but more "traditional" sized boots just barely fit. This normally hasn't been too much of an issue because my boots are all leather so they tend to stretch over time. I am 5' tall and 120 lbs if that helps at all. I have an athletic build and that includes my thighs and calves from years of ballet, running, and lets face it genetics. For gals with 14" calves and up. Buyer be ware or at least be prepared to spend $75-$100 at a cobbler getting the calf stretched out. Honestly for the price of the boot I didn't want to have to invest more money into them. I mean lets face it Frye boots are not cheap but you do get what you pay for. Some of my Frye boots are over 10 years old and still kickin with the newer and the best of them. I normally wear a 7 but I bought a 7.5 because they were cheaper....you know how that goes with Amazon but meh...I was happy to get these for $417 and 20% off and I had a $50 gift card. Well when I got them... like all my Frye boots they did not disappoint in the looks category. The leather is stunning. Quality is amazing. Now here is why the minute I put them on I put them right back in the box they came in and sent them straight back. First yes, it was my fault to buy 1/2 a size larger to save cost. I should have stuck to the 7 so they were way too big in the foot bed but what I hated most of all was that it bunched up in the ankle where the zipper was. I get that my legs are not the long skinny kind. I'm cool with that but what the heck??? They also fit at the calf but were snug and semi tight. I think these are definitely catered more to the skinny chick with the skinny long legs. Haven't decided about trying for a 7 to see if it fits better but if I do I will definitely come back and update my review. If it helps I have the Paige Frye boot with zero fit problems and are similar to these but these are much less rugged and more dressy and this is why I wanted them. The Paige is more "cowboy" and these are more "equestrian"
on November 13, 2013
The calf size was much larger on the size 8 1/2 than stated in the description. Not too large for a normal size calf, but I have very thin legs and the top was roomier than I preferred. Nice boot.
on February 27, 2014
I'd wanted these forever, but I didn't love when they were the Paige style and slip-on only. These have a zipper which makes everything easier. Frye's are classic, well made, and last forever and these are no exception. My elderly greek cobbler always tells me that Frye is the only shoe maker that he respects anymore. I've got several pairs of Fryes already (including the first pair I saved up and bought in college back in 2003) and these fit similar in size and feel the same in quality. I have skinny calves and they don't swim on me - they have a little slit in the back so it looks more "natural" that it's not snug than other pairs that just look like I have toothpicks jammed into pirate boots. Love them and my greek cobbler will help me maintain these, so I'll basically be wearing them forever!
on January 15, 2014
The only reason I didn't give these 5 stars is that they seem to run a little narrower than normal. I bought a half size larger so they didn't press too tightly over the balls of my feet. The length is now a little too long, but the footbed more comfortable. The top is very snug to my calf, so I won't be able to wear my skinny jeans with these unless they stretch, but will be OK with a skirt, or under boot cut jeans. But why cover up such beautiful boots?

I'm amending my previous review after wearing these for 2 hours. This is the first wearing out of the house, so they are not returnable now, but of course that's when problems present themselves. There is a double seam under the left outside ankle that has poked me, through a Smartwool sock,and has torn a hole in my skin. It hurt while walking, but if I slid the boot over slightly and walked sideways on the heel I was able to make it home without removing the boot. The other boot was glassy smooth in the same location. Go figure. This is the 4th pair of Frye boots I've owned, and the only pair not made in the USA. I've had no other problems with them in the past (dating back over 20 years).

I didn't lower the rating further because the tops stretched enough to allow me to wear them over my skinny jeans, and they look nice. I'll just have to stock up on bandaids.
on November 16, 2013
I typically do not review online purchases, but I feel like I owe Amazon an Frye this review after numerous purchases and returns. I am 5'10" 120lbs if that helps at all. I have struggled to find a pair of riding boots that both fit appropriately around my calves and ankles. I also wanted a pair of boots that could be worn to work or casually, with dresses or jeans These boots came today and finally fit the bill. My only problem now I that I wan hm in another color as well!
55 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2015
I purchased them on sale with additional 20% off. Great deal. I got the burnt red in half size smaller to 7 as I tried the Jackie tall riding with heels which were too loose, both designs are the same. I am glad I did. First, the burnt red is beautiful, that is a mixture of dark red and brown. Second, the leather smell is amazing, high quality thick leather and fully lined, which can hold up the boots without slouching. However, they are a bit stiff so break in time is required. Craftsmanship is excellent like my 8 pairs of Frye boots. Shaft height is 17" which is about 2" below my knee cap, which is high enough for my 5'6" frame. Width of shaft fits my 13.75" calf like a glove, I can still wear regular boot socks without feeling the tightness in the shaft, tried skinny jeans but felt too tight. So, if you have calves bigger than 13.75", they are not for you. Very happy with this purchase.
on March 5, 2015
In person this boot was beautiful. The color, the quality are all what I could expect from FRYE. However, as other reviewers have said the boot is narrow in the calves. I've never bought an extended width boot but I couldn't even pull these boots all the way up. At 5'2 though if I had been able to pull it all the way up I think it would have hit my knee. So overall too small in the calf, definitely for someone with narrow calfs and possible someone taller. The actually foot part, I am a solid 6.5 in shoes and the foot of the boot was a perfect fit.
on October 31, 2015
The size, material and color is ok however the upper part is so small you can not even wear a skinny jeans, leggings or socks and it do not stretch. I try wearing a sock with it. It was so tight it hurt I have to take it off and wear it bare leg. The next thing it has no grip under bottom. Be careful walking it is slippery. I have wood floor and I fall twice I wore them. I do not recommend wearing in snow or rain either. I buy the grip for the bottom they don't last long. It's s waste of my $204.00.
on March 30, 2015
Beautiful boot crafted with quality leather. The shaft size between the two boots was inconsistent though, and both were wider than anticipated (but still thinner than similar boots). This particular Frye appears to be one of the designs made in Mexico; something to keep in mind if buying US crafted products is important to you. I'm 5'9" and the shaft reaches to just below my knee, so they may not be the friendliest choice for ladies of a shorter persuasion.