4.0 out of 5 stars Great calf fit, narrow toe box, high quality!
I felt compelled to write a review based in the fact that I am a VERY tough fit. I'm tall (5' 10") a snug size 11, and have 19" calves at their widest part. I also have a narrow foot with a high arch and long toes that don't taper (my fourth toe is a hammer toe that constantly rubs on any shoe.)

These boots are very high quality, feel expensive and are...
Published 4 months ago by Adriane L Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Calf fits, instep not so much
This boot is made of distressed cowhide, and a fairly good quality at that. However, there are a few "gotcha"s that you should know about before buying. It will save having to return the boots if you know in advance.

Published 6 months ago by Loretta J. Locicero

3.0 out of 5 stars Calf fits, instep not so much, July 15, 2014
This review is from: FRYE Women's Veronica Slouch Boot: Wide Calf (Shoes)

First, only the toe cap and instep is fully lined, along with the lower part of the heel. The entire calf and the upper part of the heel are unlined. This is common in riding boots where thinner leather between the leg and the horse is a good thing; but if you want to do a lot of walking, the rough surface of the interior will prove uncomfortable.

Then there is the strap across the ankle. It makes the boot hard to put on and is difficult to loosen. On the other hand, the strap across the top of the calf can help make that part fit better and only works because the calf rise is unlined, i.e., a single layer of leather, and very pliable. Since I happen to have a boot chuck, taking them off was no problem.

I wear size 10 and the length of the foot was adequate, to roomy. However, even with a medium to narrow foot (B width), and virtually no instep to speak of, the boot was too narrow. Anyone with a wide foot or high instep should take this into consideration before ordering. It will save a lot of trouble in the long run. Also, the half-lined heel would be comfortable astride a horse but will definitely rub against the foot during extended walking.

I happen to own riding boots, or boots meant exclusively for riding, and they are fitted with canvas loops on the inside of the boot top. With a pair of boot hooks, the difficult process of putting them on is relatively easy. I would have loved to see those loops on these boots. They probably would have slipped on quickly. The construction of the boots is solid and they should last for several years under normal wear and tear. The pull-on loops would have been a boon, though. Also, the sole/heel combination is thick and heavy and should stand up well under use -- for any person with the right foot to fit the boot properly.

In summary, if you have a narrow foot and wide calf, these boots should fit well and be comfortable. Anybody else would be better off trying a different style of boot. I gave it three stars because the fitting problem is a major issue to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Veronica Slouch...usually love them, December 7, 2013
Ordered my regular size in Fryes and these were falling off of my feet. Wanted to exchange and that was a no go...so I couldn't keep the promotional price I had gotten. I don't understand the discrepancy in sizes with these boots...and returning them is expensive, so no more ordering these from here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great calf fit, narrow toe box, high quality!, September 11, 2014

These boots are very high quality, feel expensive and are totally worth the money. However, this is how they fit me:

CALF: They fit! Remember, I'm a size 11 and they get wider as you go up in size. The other thing to consider is that these are NOT knee-high boots and because they are designed to slouch using supple leather they are only go about 1/3 of the way to my knee because I am tall.

FOOT FIT: I ordered the medium width, but the toe box is VERY narrow and pinched my toes quite a bit. To break them in, I soaked a cotton ball in alcohol and pushed it on the inside of the area that I wanted to stretch and then put on two pairs of thick socks and wore them around my house. This seemed to work, even though they still are a bit right in the toe box.

The heel is too wide and slips as I walk, but as I wear them more (I've had them for 9 months now) they get better all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally !, October 23, 2014
denise p reid (columbus, mississippi United States) - See all my reviews
I'm 5'2 with athletic calves, measuring 14 1/2" at the widest. I've tried The Frye Melissa and the Phillip boots, no dice, I don't know if my calves are too big, or just because my legs are short and it the boots are designed for longer legs, but neither fit...they are too tall, and also even though the calves technically were big enough, didn't quite look right.... I have the Veronica Slouch in black that are not wide calf, and they fit, but just barely, with the strap all the way out, over jeans and jeggins.... these Veronica wide calf boots have the perfect calf! I don't even have to let the strap out! that said, I do wish that the foot area, just below the ankle wasn't quite so wide...but I can live with it! nice distressed color too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, yet better than I expected., September 24, 2014
I ordered half a size up because I plan on wearing these boots in late fall and winter with thick socks. They actually fit quite snugly around my feet (I would consider my feet to be a little on the wider side). I do know that leather will take a little breaking in, and then it might start feeling a bit looser, but even if it doesn't, I'll have no problem wearing thick socks with this. I'm most surprised about the extra room that I have around the calves. That was something that I didn't have in all of the other wide-calf boots that I've tried on.

I have been trying on and ordering all types of wide calf boots. I thought Fryes were all too small for me, but I was surprised. As a girl with small feet (usually size 6 for shoes and 5.5 for sandals), but large calves, it was hard to find wide-calf boots that would actually fit. If your shoe size is small, they will usually make the calf size proportionally smaller too. My calves are about 15.5" circumference and I would order 16" boots, hoping for a little space around the calves, and it was always a bit too tight (if it fit at all).

The color and quality of the boots were exactly what I wanted and better than what I expected. This dark brown leather is beautiful and I imagine over time and wear, it will become even prettier and have more character. I went through a lot of boots to get to this point and found that nothing met the quality that I wanted. I'm sure I could have found something nice, but after having a frustrating time trying to get boots to fit around my big calves, I was happy to finally find a pair of boots that fit exactly how I wanted and were good quality. I understand that Fryes are a little pricey unless you can catch them at a good price. The Veronicas were at $200 when I bought them (still are now, I think) and that's only $50 more than some boots that are incredibly low quality and would only last 2 winters, maybe 3. If you have the budget, I definitely think this is a worthy investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY... tall boots that fit!, October 28, 2014
This review is from: FRYE Women's Veronica Slouch Boot: Wide Calf (Shoes)
I debated for months between the regular Veronica Slouch and the wide calf. I'm 5'2 and my calf width measures 14.5 at the widest part. The extended calf was included in the boot sale, so I decided to take the plunge and try them out. They are PERFECT! I am very glad I went with these vs. the regular.

I typically wear size 7.5 and that's what I ordered. I found them to run slightly larger than my other Fryes, but not so large that I need to size down. I have average width feet and a high instep and found I have plenty of room. They fit comfortably with and without socks, but there is some heel slippage. Much to my relief, I was able to slip them on very easily. I was worried they would be hard to put on without a zipper, but they gave me no problems whatsoever.

They aren't knee high boots and fall about 4" below my knee. The buckle at the top has 3 holes to adjust the size. These came set at the middle hole and I tried them this way first. I was able to wear them over skinny jeans and still have about 2 fingers width of space in there. I decided to adjust them down to the smallest setting and like how they look and fit better when I tightened them. I was still able to wear them over skinny jeans and have about 1 fingers width of space left over. They don't fit tight around my leg at all, even at the smallest setting.

I ordered the black and the leather is beautiful, soft, and smells wonderful! I thought I would have to break them in to achieve a slouch, but they are already a little slouchy right out of the box and I'm guessing will become even more so over time. The buckles on the boot are a dark, oxidized bronze, not silver like they appear in the photo. I like how this style is a little edgier than typical riding boots.

Since I just received them and have only worn them around the house I can't offer much info on the comfort yet, but if they are like my other Fryes they will break in after a few wears, mold to my feet and become very comfortable. I will try to update after I've had time to wear them.

If you are hesitating, please give them a try. They are really lovely boots of exceptional quality. And Amazons sale price can not be beat!

UPDATE: I have worn these boots a LOT over the past few weeks. I've worn to theme parks, work, shopping, etc. so they have gone a lot of miles. I'm happy to say that these are the most comfortable Frye boots I own, and am tempted to say they rival my all time favorite Clarkes boots in comfort. They needed absolutely no breaking in period like my other Fryes. I was concerned initially about the heel slippage, but it has given me no issues, blisters, etc. They are wonderful and I've received so many compliments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a boot that goes over my jeans, December 10, 2014
Sherri Dunlap (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I have purchased, reviewed and returned upwards of 8 boots now, half of which were Frye brand. This is the first boot that actually goes over my jeans and my calves are only 15.5 inches so I would say that Frye is missing a huge market for those of us with athletic calves and I do mean athletic. I kickbox so my calves are muscular. They are not abnormally large but even if they were I have learned that this boot maker does not understand the wide calf/extended boot market and are missing out on a huge portion of the public including myself. This boot goes over my jeans and while I'm satisfied to finally find a Frye boot that does, I would have loved them even more if the boot were a little taller. I'm a short female, 5' 3" and the boot would look most optimal with another .5-1 inch taller falling just below the knee where now it falls a few inches below. I will take my accomplishments where I can find them however and make others aware of my findings. I would warn however, if your calves measure more than 17in I would say these may fit as the material is flexible, but they most likely won't be able to go over jeans.....I wished more people would have posted their calf measurements and their heights so I could have saved myself so many boot purchases and therefore boot returns but it was a good learning experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing., April 4, 2014
i've waited about 4 months to write my review and i can easily say i adore these boots. they are so well made, such high quality leather and i get constant compliments. frye is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best funky boots ever!, December 9, 2013
I bought these boots for work as I am on my feet all day teaching art. Sooooo comfortable, warm, and on trend for tucked-in pants or, tights. I want more!.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hate to burst your bubble Big calf girls, November 13, 2013
I am 5'6, 220lbs, 18"calf,10"ankles, 10 & 1/4" around the widest part if my foot and 12" from the top of my foot to the bottom of my kneecaps. It seemed like the shoe and the shaft were two different shoes slapped together. The footbed was slightly small in proportion to the shaft. The leather of the shoe felt stiffer and thicker which is what I would have preferred for the entire boot. Also the shaft was about 1/2 too small. I wasn't able to completely pull the boots up so they slouched more than I would have preferred causing the ankle to look bunched up and the shaft leather to look cheap. It was also a lot shorter than expected, about 5 inches below my kneecap and I have really short legs for my height. Lastly at this price point even without the lack of fit I feel the hype on the frye brand is slightly overrated. Once on the boots looked like every overpriced synthetic boot on the market.

FRYE Women's Veronica Slouch Boot: Wide Calf