5.0 out of 5 stars this + $60 camera + bleach = fun!
Published on June 20, 2012 by Omega Man

2.0 out of 5 stars issue with film.
I have been purchasing from this vendor a number of times but have been through 4 packs of film where the first 4 images are dried out. the film is not expired. Not sure what is going on.
Published 15 months ago by pandahead5

5.0 out of 5 stars this + $60 camera + bleach = fun!, June 20, 2012
This review is from: FUJIFILM FP-100C 3.25 X 4.25 Inches Professional Instant Color Film (Electronics)
I'm not going to write the usual review here, because lets face it.... people don't buy this format of instant film anymore just to get photos with the best image quality or the cheapest photos. Though perhaps some customers would be owners of legacy systems that still need this film to keep doing what they've been doing, if you're reading this then you're most likely interested in film photography for some sort of artistic reason.

I originally bought this stuff for test exposures using Polaroid backs for Hasselblad and Mamiya medium format cameras, but later I decided to buy an old 1967 Polaroid 250 Land Camera off of eBay for $60 to see what I could do with whatever of this film is still being made. Best purchase ever!

In the process of messing around I found that people were able to actually reclaim the negatives from these peel-apart films by using household bleach to dissolve the opaque black anti-halation coating on the non-emulsion side of the negative. (The negative is the part that you peel off and normally throw away because once it's been exposed to light and transferred its dye to the print its intended job is done. The thing is that it still has a negative image and you can still use it in an enlarger or film scanner if you can just get the thick black coating off the other side of it.)

So now I basically take some shots on these, keep the negatives rather than toss them out, let them dry, then use bleach to remove the anti-halation coating on them. To see the process, do a search for "Fuji FP-100C Negative Reclamation". There are a bunch of videos on youtube and there's no generally agreed-upon "right way" to do it.

The best tips aren't well documented anywhere I know of, so here's what I've learned so far:

- Using Clorox High Efficiency Bleach Gel or some sort of similar "gel" type bleach works much better than regular bleach, but you can use standard laundry bleach or even bleach-based cleaners like Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover as long as the cleaner contains a high concentration of bleach. Stuff like Goo Gone, Goof Off, etc does not work.

- If you want to get all artistic, you can use a paintbrush to brush the bleach gel on certain areas of the black coating, wait, then rinse the dissolved area away to get interesting borders around the negative. As you might imagine, other techniques are possible as well.

- People use various methods for keeping the bleach off of the emulsion, but I find that if you slap the thing emulsion side down on a wet piece of glass and squeeze the water out from under it (sticking it to the glass) then it's rather hard for the bleach to get under the negative to damage the emulsion. Just make sure to start rinsing the bleach off from the middle of the negative so you don't flush water, and bleach, under the negative while you're trying to rinse the top off.

- you MUST let the negative dry before doing anything, otherwise the emulsion comes off too easily.

- After you initially let it dry, it seems that it's probably better to remove the black coating before washing the excess developer reagent "goop" off of the emulsion side. So use bleach, wash black stuff off, then wash the emulsion side off to remove any excess goop. Assuming you let the negative dry after peeling it off the print, you should be able to rub the emulsion with your finger under running water to get the reagent goop off.

- Bleach will definitely cause the emulsion to come off. You can intentionally apply bleach around the edge of the emulsion to cause this to happen in a somewhat controlled manner to get a border effect or whatever.

- After rinsing the negative off really well, it's best to dip it in photoflo to prevent streaking/bubbling during the drying. I actually don't have any photoflo so I've been messing with Finish Jet-Dry Drying Agent, Turbo Dry which is a very similar non-ionic surfactant.

After all of this is done, you have a negative that you can use in a scanner, enlarger, contact print, etc. The quality isn't exactly perfect but it's better than you'd probably think.

Have fun! I hope Fuji keeps making this stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fuji has kept my old Polaroids alive, October 27, 2012
I shoot instant film because it is fun. If you need the absolute highest quality images you should stick with digital or conventional film. I've been shooting FP100-C a little more than a year and love it. Colors are true, the film is consistent, development is self-terminating (meaning you cannot ruin the print by developing too long), and expiration dates do not appear to be critical. I've used film a year after expiration with no problems. The resolution doesn't compare to a good 35mm but looks fabulous at 3.25 x 4.25, just don't expect to make great enlargements.

Shooting instant film is one part photography and one part street theater, if you can't stand attention don't try it. Just unfolding a pack film camera will draw questions. When the prints come out you'll find it hard to keep them. Most people will want your prints, I end up giving away more than I keep. You can also reclaim and scan negatives. They are as good as the prints but color and exposure look exactly the same, though some of the color difference probably comes from my scanner software.

Buy from a vendor who lists the expiration date. Some ship bulk film packs with no boxes, hence no way to tell how old it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, better than the polaroid brand stuff., February 15, 2010
This is really great film, first of all it's not for your normal 600 polaroid camera, it's for packfilm cameras. I currently use it with a Polaroid 450 camera and it's good stuff. Much better color than polaroids film and seems to hold color better if you lose track of time and let it develop too long. I've shot about 5 packs of it so far and love every pic, I tend to use fujifilm over other brands anyway whether it's 35mm or 4x5 and always seem to get great pictures with the stuff, buy it you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great In My Polaroid 250 Land Camera!, April 3, 2011
I have recently become very interested in instant photography. At first I thought my only options for film would be the expensive "experimental" film through Impossible Project or expired Polaroid film on ebay, I was wrong. After reading several blogs and forums online I kept noticing everyone talking about this Fuji peel apart film. I bought a Polaroid 250 Land Camera on ebay and ordered 2 packs of the FP-100C. I am so glad I discovered this film! The quality is outstanding. It has been so much fun taking pictures and pulling them out of my Polaroid camera, waiting about 120 seconds and peeling them apart. I am so impressed with this color film that I am going to order the black and white version next. So, find a great Polaroid Land Camera and buy this film now! HAVE FUN AND SAVE FILM!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Film for Polaroid Land Camera 100, August 7, 2013
Snowboarder1 (Fort Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
I bought this film since it work with my Land Camera 100. The cartridge was easy to put in the camera. One thing that I had to do is keep an even pressure as you pull out each developed film and the first black tab. If not the black tab will rip. The color of the developed photos was superb. The only problem that I had with the film is when I pulled out the ninth frame it tore the tenth frame out. I would definitely recommend this film and seeing it is the only 4x5 film that is still for sale.

Pros:
Color of Photos
Low cost (Compared to Impossible Film for other Polaroid Cameras.)

Cons:
None

4.0 out of 5 stars FujiFilm FP-100C, July 25, 2013
I wanted to test out an old Polaroid 100 camera and this film was available at a great price. I picked up a pack and it works just as I expected it to. I think it looks better than the original Polaroid 669 film with the typical Fuji saturation. If I decide to continue playing with the camera, I'll be buying more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great and easy to use., January 21, 2014
There was none dud in the pack. But overall really great and super simple to use! Happy I could find some pack film for my old Polaroid.

2.0 out of 5 stars issue with film., June 4, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, April 2, 2013
It works flawlessly with my Polaroid 210 camera and my Vivitar Instant Slide Printer. I use the film regularly for transfers and other alternative processes. I just love it. Plus, there is something timeless about shooting it at parties or gathering. Yes, you can click away with your phone, but how many time do people actually print any shots?

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, February 16, 2013
Compared to buying "polaroid" brand film, this is much more affordable, and in my opinion, higher quality.

Some people seem to have experienced confusion using this film. It's the old fashioned "peel-apart" type, not the instantly developing kind. It usually takes about 90 seconds to develop, but the images are very crisp, clean, and colorful. I bought it intending to use it to "preview" images for my Bronica ETR-S before I shoot on 220 film, but I've had far too much fun with it, shooting pocket-sized photos of friends and family. It's a great bargain.

Rate and Discover Movies