Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on March 25, 2011
Fuji's 100c and 100b does not have a negative that can be scanned reflective (such as the FP-3000b), but this does not mean you don't still have the option to get a usable negative out of it. When I use this film it is primarily for the joy of others. Give it 120 seconds and you've got an instant peel apart print. Give it to your subject and keep the goopy neg. If you have a small blow dryer use it. When bleached and scanned FP-100c will give you great tonality and good color. You may need to adjust color balance slightly but if you have you scanner set up correctly you are looking at a scan that is comparable to a 4x5.

Once you have a dry neg find an old glass plate, momma's best china should do. You can use gaffers tape, painters tape, or duct tape. Tape the negative emulsion (goop) side down along the edges so there is a black rectangle showing. Now get some bleach (splash-less is best) and pour or spray some on the negative. let it sit a minute and proceed to wipe off the black goop with a paper towel or cotton cloth. You will want to make sure everything is gone from the main parts of the negative. If you choose to you can leave some on the edges (this makes for a good border). You can now use some ammonia free cleaner (I prefer lens cleaner and micro-cloths) to clean the bleached side of the neg.

Now take the negative off the glass (be careful not to get any residual bleach on the emulsion, and you have a usable negative. All you need now is a scanner with a back-light able to do scans of anything close to 4x5 film. Have fun. This also works for FP-100b.

One extra step you can take is to wash the whole negative in distilled water, but I like the raw feel of a goop neg. If you want you can keep an eye on my blog for examples. It can be found at josephamundsen(dot)com.
review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2010
I've been shooting medium format film for around a year, after cutting my teeth on digital cameras for 10 years. Fuji is pretty much the only remaining instant film manufacturer in the world (that is until hopefully The Impossible Project launches their newly revamped lineup utilizing original Polaroid equipment!) ... as such, they pretty much own the market right now. I use their 3.25 x 4.25 film with a Polaroid holder on a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II camera, and I find the results absolutely outstanding. I end up with a full 7cm x 7cm image - not enough to fully cover the print, but very good, and nicely centered (vertically and horizontally).

The results you get with instant film, I find, depend very much on the quality of lighting that you start with. Indoors, it is very important to be using a nicely diffused flash, or preferably studio strobes. Outdoors, a nice early or late sunlight, or any time of the day diffused cloudy conditions produce the best results with this film.

One other aspect of this film that is worth considering is really the novelty factor. These days, there are a lot of younger folks who just never had that "shake it like a polaroid" experience. With this film, you get instant gratification in a couple of minutes, and the results last (at least a year so far for my prints, which I archive in archival safe photo albums). Friends who I've taken pictures of just marvel at the fact that instant film even exists anymore... so my advice is to snap up some packs (the 5 pack here is a great deal!), take some prints, and spread the word - instant photography is still alive and well!
on June 26, 2012
Fuji FP-100C is good stuff, and I can't really add too much to what others have written already, but note that some vendors aren't very upfront about what the expiration date is on the film they're selling. Before ordering I'd look to see if they tell you upfront what the deal is.

So Tip #1:

There's nothing wrong with buying expired FP-100C as long as it's only been expired a few months (in my experience anyway, though as always it depends on how well the stuff was stored) but vendors should state UP FRONT if they're selling an expired product and what the expiration date was. When reputable vendors sell expired film AS expired film, especially at a discount, that's a good thing.

What's not good is when the vendor doesn't say the film is expired and you get a bunch of foil pouches that have been removed from their boxes with no expiration date evident. If this happens (as it has to me) I would personally ask the vendor for an explanation even if the film is good and complain if the date wasn't listed anywhere.

Tip #2:

A tip for users of old Polaroid 250 Automatic and similar older cameras: The original polaroid pack film packs were made of metal, and there are a couple of strip springs on the inside of the camera back door that push in on the film pack. This can cause serious problems with the modern plastic packs like in the FP-100C such as jamming of the film and tearing off the paper tabs, etc.

I wasted almost an entire pack of film because of this problem before I realized what was going on, did some research, and finally ripped out the springs. Don't take my word for it, but search around on modifications for your camera and see if you might want to remove the springs in yours too. If you're having trouble pulling sheets out of the thing without tearing off the pull tabs then you probably want to consider this simple modification.

After removing these springs in my Polaroid 250 I can easily pull film sheets out of it now and I'm having no problems with light leaks or any sort of drawback, even after carrying the camera around in very bright direct sunlight for 2 hours. I'm no longer afraid of destroying the film pack every time I pull a sheet out of the thing now.

Tip #3:

For those reclaiming the negatives (cleaning the black anti-halation coating off the back with bleach), a couple of things I've learned: 1) getting that "splashless" or "high efficiency gel" laundry bleach seems to make this process much easier. 2) If you underexpose the shot (for example, turn the exposure adjustment to "darker" on the automatic cameras) then you'll get a print that's too dark, but the negative seems to give you better color quality. I think it's probably because the dye isn't intended for a transmissive light negative and so underexposure makes a thinner negative which gives you more transparent dye that transmits more light and scans better. Like I say though, an optimal negative seems to require that you make a print that's too dark so you have to make a choice of whether it;s the negative or print you want better.

Tip #4:

You can apparently just leave your film unpeeled for at least a couple of hours, if not more, after shooting without having to worry about overdeveloping the film. The chemistry in the FP-100C seems to neutralize itself after the right amount of time. NOT peeling the print and neg apart can make it much easier to transport/preserve the exposed film without getting stuff stuck to it. I've compared shots peeled after the correct time to shots peeled 3 hours or more later and they look the same. Trying to keep the sticky negative or print surface emulsions from trying to react with things touching them seems to be terribly difficult, so consider just not peeling the film immediately if you don't need to. Also if you do this try to wipe off the extra goop at the end of the print since that can still get on things even if you don't peel the film apart.

Anyway.... FP-100C.... great stuff! The most fun I've had with film in ages!!!
on January 21, 2010
Nicer colors, sharper, and more consistent results are what I have enjoyed with FP-100c over the last remainders of Polaroid 669. I can even reclaim a pretty nice usable color negative from this film by wiping off the black backing with bleach after a couple of minutes of developing. It is a little messy but then you get a positive and a nice negative that reveals nice shadow details when scanned with a good scanner such as an Epson 750 pro and Silverfast SW. The only reason I give it four instead of five stars is because fuji charges too much for the 4x5 version of this fine film, so I am protesting. Otherwise a great material suitable for artistic, documentary and other serious applications, and just for fun too. People are amazed at the colors, especially the glowing reds. Ooohh.
on August 14, 2012
I did receive the five boxes of the FP-100C that I ordered in a timely fashion, but the film has been expired for months.

What kind of photography business sells expired film without disclosing that fact? This sneaky one I guess.

The invoice does include a comment about how the film is expired and should work fine. They even guarantee proper image results, so I have that going for me.

It usually takes me a year to shoot five boxes of film, but I feel like the stopwatch started last year on this stuff, ugh.
on August 8, 2012
The product i received is indeed FP-100C, sealed in the orginal box. However, the film was expired. i found no mention that the product was expired. In this particular case It was ok with me because i am working on some experimental stuff that expired film works great for. I would have preferred to be informed that it was expire hence only 3 stars.

Edit: After using the film 4 out of 5 developed inconsistently and were a little dried out, leaving chemical stains on the negative. For now i have dropped the rating from 3stars to 2 stars. Hopefully it doesnt ruin the possibility of getting a good negative after cleaning with bleach. I will try to update next week after i have had time to clean some.

Note: The rating here is for the product received from this particular seller NOT the film in general. The film, when bought new and unexpired is extremely consistent, producing great colors and contrast.
on June 21, 2010
Film is much better than the Polarroid was but it is finicky and we waste film. Several catridges were completely a mess. The vendor did replace them.

Overall we are pleased.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2013
If it wasn't for this film, my Vivitar slide printer would be obsolete. Great film, crisp colors that are perhaps better than the original Polaroid 669 film (which I do miss, however). I also use it in my Mamiya RB67 Pro S with a Polaroid back, and my Polaroid camera. If you are doing emulsion tranfers, the emulsion is a lot more resilient to manipulate than the Polaroid was, but unlike the Polaroid, you will need an adhesive to get it to stick to anything. When it dries it will curl up if not affixed properly. With regular transfers onto watercolor paper, you want the paper dry and make sure you're transferring it in a dark room, it's so sensitive to light. You can wash and scan the negatives too, so you get a lot of use out of the stuff. I'm glad they make it, hopefully that will not change.
on August 30, 2011
You always tend to hear about how nothing's ever as good as the original, but Fujifilm really disproves that saying. Completely. I use a Polaroid #330, and I couldn't STAND using old Polaroid pack film. Granted, it was expired already, so that might've been what gave such a bluish tint to it, and since The Impossible Project pretty much just "recycled" (repackaged) the same pack film and sold it for more, I still got the same bluish tint through them for about the same expense, if not a little more.

If you're going to get pack film, go with Fujifilm. Seriously. Best color pack film I've ever used. The accuracy and boldness of the colors is absolutely fantastic, and Fujifilm tends to be pretty flexible compared to Polaroid and definitely MUCH more flexible than Impossible which, truly is, quite impossible to work with.

Fujifilm allows you a window of I'd venture far enough to say maybe ten seconds of "overdevelopment" before the photograph becomes flawed, (although I wouldn't suggest trying that - keep to correct timing as well as you can).

Also, buying Fujifilm in bulk tends to be a bit more economical than buying in-store, I've experienced, (at least around here). Runs around $17 at the local camera shop here, so it's great that we can buy bulk on Amazon~
on January 28, 2014
Great colour and you can make a negative by bleaching off the backing material.

It processes cleanly through my Polaroid back too!

What's not to like?