Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on November 8, 2013
Having a CD to go along with your piano textbook seems like a great idea, but for many purchasers, this ain't it. To properly utilize this disk you will need an extra piece of software that does not come with the disk, as well as the know-how to use it. Even then, the product isn't as good as it could have been. Still, since this is the only disk available, if you want the help a CD can give, then go ahead and buy it and begin looking for a MIDI player to use it properly. If you already own a good piece of MIDI software and know how to use it, then for you this may rate 4 or 5 stars, but for the rest of us without the know-how or software it is at best 3 stars.

The Faber textbooks are widely regarded as among the best and it is certainly a good idea to have examples of the music for the student to listen to. Students can often get the notes right, but they have a hard time making it sound musical. What better way to help them than have an accomplished musician play the piece and let them hear how musical it can be? But this CD does not appear to do that, perhaps because the textbook often has accompaniments that the student's teacher can play alongside the student. So, rather than have a series of musical tracks --- perhaps two tracks per piece to have one without accompaniment and one with --- instead it has a MIDI file for each. Because MIDI files can have individual parts played separately, it means that you can chose to play only the student's part, or only the teacher's accompaniment, or both together. But, that requires software and the knowledge to use it!

The production values of the disk are impressive. When played in a computer, a nice title screen pops up offering various options for play. It appears to offer an option to play recording, but anytime I tried to use it I just got the same stock MIDI files. When I played the MIDI files on my computer, they played back all parts together and used rather annoying electronic keyboard sounds rather than piano sounds. Of course, with good MIDI software you could change that, but the disk does not have the software. I do not know if it will play at all in a CD player, though it seems like it should. I may try to find a CD player to do so, I have only used computers for this purpose for many years now. I will report back on that.

Ultimately, unless it turns out there are CD accessible music files, you are left with a bunch of MIDI versions of the music. To my ear these MIDI versions are very mechanical and far less musical than a real performance would be. So the desired goal of providing an example of how to play the pieces "musically" is not really reached, even if you have a good MIDI player.
on December 30, 2009
This product info is misleading! This is not the Lesson Book, as it says. This is the Background Accompaniments. It's just a CD. No sheet music. Yea, I know I was surprised too when it arrived.
on January 24, 2009
As a piano teacher, all my students use the Faber series. I have used the other authors, but Faber is my favorite. The books do a great job of teaching the concepts in a fun way with fun songs and ideas. A++
55 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2008
As piano books go, this is a good series. The theory book is a fine one and helps the beginning student to progress.
on November 3, 2015
Great books!
on March 4, 2013
My son just started using this book - assigned by his teacher- and it seems fine. Everything arrived on time and in good condition .
on November 25, 2011
I recieved the Level 1 piano book finally today (25th November) though I ordered this early last month. I don't understand why this shipment took so long nor why I had to sign for it. But, I am pleased in the shape in which it arrived.
on September 11, 2014
good condition
on October 12, 2015
Great delivery date and quality.
on August 4, 2015