Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on February 11, 2014
Some quick background here: I played the first Fable and Lost Chapters on Xbox multiple times. Even w/all the "it doesn't live up to the hype," complaints people lobbed against it, I found it to be a fun and engaging experience. After playing Fable 2 (good) and Fable 3 (meh), I was stoked to see this being prepped for the 360 and preordered it as soon as I could.

- This is largely the same as I remember it on the first Xbox, with the graphical upgrades.
- There is an option to choose either the traditional Fable controls or the 2/3 version. I suggest traditional, but I think that's due to my playthrough style.
- The scenery and lighting looks great, colors are vibrant and the detailing is pretty nice.
- Gameplay hasn't been changed, any strategies you used in the original Fable are still viable here, including the ridiculous combo mulitipliers you can rack up in the graveyard path. Making money still revolves around buying/selling goods, so you'll be traveling a fair amount for best prices.
- The autosave is spot on and reliable, which you'll be glad of.

- This is largely the same as I remember it on the first Xbox, with numerous bugs and crashes. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it's noticeable. This was my biggest complaint about the original and the issue I most wanted addressed in this edition. It wasn't and there is little rhyme or reason. I crashed while talking to NPC's, while walking along a path by myself, and in the middle of fights.
- Loading times are out of control. And the game will crash sometimes on these too. Minute plus loading times for areas like Fisher Creek or the Oakvale Graveyard are common and distracting. God forbid you want it to load an area w/lots of NPC's or enemies, you can probably bang out a few texts while you wait.
- The upgraded visuals on most characters makes them look hideous. Perhaps artistic choice, but every time a scene zoomed in on the player or an NPC, you wanted the old "shiny" faces back. Just to clarify: monsters, background, textures, all look great. It's just the human models look terrible.
- The "bonus content" has to be purchased in game with the same merchant rules. So you buy the game with real money and enter your codes. Then in-game you have to earn gold to buy these items from merchants. So you need to have high guile and renown to get them for a decent price. It doesn't really feel like "bonus content" when I have to earn it the same way I get most other items in game.

It is the old Fable with some nice touches and with the same problems. I grade it highly because I loved the first one and the fond memories playing this brings with it. I knock points off because the biggest problems should have been fixed or at least reduced in frequency. If you played the original multiple times to be a virtuous do gooder or be a heinous thug, you'll enjoy a trip down memory lane, with some reservations. If you played 2 or 3 but not this one, you'll still find some fun here. If you've never played Fable before, be careful starting here especially if you're used to the polish of modern day 360 games.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2014
I've always thought that this was the best Fable in the series. So I was excited to hear about this edition. Essentially what you're getting is Fable: The Lost Chapters with an overhaul on the graphics. THAT IS IT. The game is still just as buggy as it was 10 years ago. If you're going for the achievements best of luck because that is where the bugs and glitches will really take their toll on your patience.

2/24/14 UPDATE:
Going back and playing it after the update I can say that there were some good improvements. The game does play a bit smoother now but still has it's fair share of issues. To me this is still the best Fable game of the three so if you haven't played it, I would suggest this version but you could still have just as much fun if you wanted to do it on the cheap and play it on the xbox original. Like many are saying, this game is just a graphical overhaul and that is it. After the update, I changed my rating to 4 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2014
When people hear the name "Fable" it' reminds them of a man who claimed we could...
1. Raise our own children.
2. Fight with our children.
3. The game was expected to be over "40-50 hours long(but you could only put so much memory ram on the original Xbox at the time.
4. The map was to be over 50 miles long in each direction on a compass.
5. It was to be the greatest RPG of all time
Those are only some of the mistakes Peter Molyneux Overzealously revealed almost 10 years ago(2004).

But here's my thoughts on the game, If I may.
Fable/Fable Lost Chapters is one of the most nostalgic games I have ever played. The soundtrack mixed with the setting and scenery, really brings a Fantasy/Folk Tale feel to the whole 'Fable experience. I've always found the Gameplay really easy to pick up, but at the same time challenging when facing high leveled enemies. The humor is very Monty Python-esque & it even makes blatant references to The British film series. My only grief about the game was the constant bugs and glitches that plaugued the background music and the combat in which if too many enemies popped up, the frame rate would hit the floor.

But Thanks to the almost completely revamped Lionhead Inc. team, they have decided to take the once close to failing game series back to the basics. In my opinion, this is the best move the game studio has made since the launch of The captivating Fable II.
But I'm getting ahead of myself....
Let me introduce you to "Fable: The Lost Chapters anniversary!!!!!!!!!!.

So let's get into the aspects of the game...

Graphics: 10/10
The grass is lush green, the sky is ocean blue. The original game was also gorgeous, but Fable HD has to be the best looking game I've seen on the 360 since Assassins Creed 4. The character models are well defined and lip synching is done seamlessly. It is overwhelming how much better the graphics are compared to the original. You just have to see for yourself....

Fable Anniversary should also be commended for its new 'Smart Save system. So now even if your on a mission, the game will Auto-Save regularly. Which is a massive improvement, easier to put down and easier to pick up.
Combat/Gameplay: 10/10
Melee: The melee system is simple, yet satisfying. Basic hack and slash mechanics mixed in with roll every once in a while to dodge enemies attacks. Melee weapons range from Swords, Greatswords, Axes, PickHammers & Clubs

Range: The Range system Is also simple, but unless your Bow is upgraded well; it's not going to be as satisfying as Melee weapons.
Range weapons range from Bows & Crossbows.

Magic/Spells: Compared to the Original Fables Magic system, Lionhead has completely revamped and re-polished it this time around. Every time I played the Non HD Fable in the past, the only spell I ever used was heal. Now I'm spooling through using different spells that I never used before. Great new addition.

Augments: Augmentations are power stones you can use to add magic power to all kinds of weapons. Fire, Ice, Silver Etc.
Really useful items

Story/Plot 10/10(No Spoilers)
I have always admired the story & lore of the 'Fable series. The characters are well thought out, the plot twists keep you on the edge of your seat & it really feels like your in a fantasy/fairy tale book.
Music/Sound 10/10
The "Main Fable theme" is orchestrated & composed by the legendary Danny Elfman(known for his scores in movies like "Nighmare before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Tim Burton's Batman and many more classic movies. And the Background music for the entirety of the game is composed and orchestrated by Another Legendary musician, Russell Shaw. Your ears will be very pleased.
In my personal opinion, Fable 1's music is the best in the series; and should go down as one of video games best soundtracks.
Unlike the problem with the original launch of Fable 1, there seems to be no sound rips in the music or dialogue(at least with my playthrough).

Voice Acting 8/10
The voice acting can go either way, and by that I mean some of it sucks and some of it doesn't. My main praise for voice acting would have to go to the actual story driven characters. The regular NPC's voice acting is very mediocre and will get easily repetitive to the ears. Nonetheless a very entertaining assortment of British voices that will keep your ears at attention.

Game Size 9/10
It's easy to say this games map is definitely the smallest in the series. But there are a lot of areas to explore, And each area is different from the last. You'll find yourself trekking through dark wet forests, eerie caverns, dark dungeons, snowy mountain tops etc. Etc.

Here's a list of the extras Fable. HD has to offer.
1. Darkwood Bordello(Yep that's right.)
2. New legendary weapons
3. A substantial storyline expansion(Complete with an ultimate showdown at the end.
4. Tons of new clothing & Armor.
5. New locations
6. Scrapped characters that weren't included in the original release of Fable
Ending words:

The production of this game is notorious for broken promises and overreaching with the limited technology that was around at the time of this games release.
But with all the bugs and glitches that dragged down the original launch of the game, Lionhead has done this game justice and much more. This game is Nostalgia on a disc & will go down as one of the most beautiful and intriguing games of all time.

My rating of this game is a 5/5
Thanks for reading
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2014
What we have here in Fable Anniversary is exactly the same as what you played 10 years ago with fable. Not one bit of the originality is lost in the time gap. This has to be the most beautiful fable I've ever played. Everything seems to have truly been touched up and had quality time spent on it. I just wish that they would have spent as much time improving the games bugs as well as just the graphics as it is plagued with dozens of them ( [...] ) there is a link to prove that it isn't just me. Here are just a couple that I've encountered and be warned if you haven't played Fable at any point in time, there will be a few spoilers. Knothole Glade blacksmith was killed in the White Balverine mission. This might sound trivial, but the problem is that his business is never re-opened, and you can't buy it. This brings about the problem of obtaining Bright Plate Armor for the Demon Door that wants to see the Gallant Knight, as outside the Arena he is the ONLY blacksmith that sells it. Now let me further inform you on how annoying this is, if he is dead, and you go to the arena without enough money to get the plate armor from the blacksmith there, then you can enter the arena fights, get up enough gold for it, and quit the arena, but you will be skipping an achievement that can only be obtained by doing the entire arena battle without quitting, and you can NEVER re-enter the arena on a save file after finishing. This so far is the single most infuriating glitch I've encountered as other than that single Demon Door, I have done 100% of everything (all weapons, potions, side-quest, EVERYTHING!). Game freezing is a very common occurrence, luckily the checkpoints occur so often, that even if it does freeze, you will generally end up almost exactly where you froze at. Quest Incomplete-able. The bandit spy extraction quest gave me hell when I tried finishing it. Had to do the quest 7 times before the game acknowledged that I'd actually finished it, and would let me continue. Texture and frame rate drops are very frequent, and I don't mean small drops, I mean like major, no detail, near game freezing drops. The majority of these could be easily patched to, make bright plate armor available at a couple extra merchants (dark plate is available at 2 different merchant's outside the arena). I never ran into any of these when playing ten years ago. Didn't Lionhead at least test their game before releasing it?They would have surely run across some of these problems. If I remember right, this game was even delayed, delayed and still came out this buggy? Not a good show of ability on your end Lionhead. The game does give that nostalgic feeling to you, but will surely infuriate you with some of it's bugs.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2014
I never had the chance to play this game on the original Xbox so when I heard this was coming to the 360 I couldn't have been more excited. I played Fable 2 and 3 and thoroughly enjoyed myself on both. I tried to play the original Fable on my 360 but it seemed to have a bit of lag and just didn't operate like the game should have so I gave up on it. Now that I have the new and improved version I am having a blast , so here are my impressions of the anniversary edition.

1 - The graphics have had a major overhaul , it still doesn't look like a brand new game but the changes that have been made look amazing compared to the original.

2 - no lagging or glitching in this version opposed to the way the original ran on my 360. The original game operated so poorly on my 360 that it took all the fun out of it , but the anniversary edition fixed all of my problems.

3 - the whole menu system has been revamped along with your inventory , spell casting ,etc ,etc ,etc.. This to me is a major improvement. Everything is easily accessible without going through layers and layers of other things to get to what you want.

4 - THE SAVE SYSTEM IS AWESOME , save anywhere any time as long as you are not in an active quest. If you are on an active quest you must finish the quest for your progress to save. Fortunately the quests are all rather on the short side so its not that much of a hassle to just complete what you are doing before quiting the game.

5 - This installment gives you the entire package that includes the lost chapters.

These are just some of the things that have impressed me and as I play this great new game I will update my review accordingly , but from what I can tell so far this will be a 5 star game all the way through. There are just way to many new improvements to list , everything has been overhauled , character models , land scape , spell casting effects , weapons , clothing , etc , etc .. EVERYTHING has been made over and nothing has been left untouched. Simply awesome if you are a fable fan !!

UPDATE : 2-6-14 There have been a few glitches and lag but after the disk was installed and I was a little farther in it stopped. This game is still just so fun and addicting like Fable 2 & 3. Even with the few problems I have experienced its nothing game breaking and my 5 out of 5 review still stands. EXCELLENT !!

Update : 2-7-14 I added that video to show that I personally am not having any lag or any other problems at the moment and have not for a while. Sorry about the vidoe quality , I did that with my cell phone and it actually looked perfect on my phone but when I uploaded it to Amazon I guess the compression or something degraded the quality , but you can see there is no lag while I am moving my character around..
review image review image review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2014
Fable has always been one of my favorite games. I own Fable and Fable: The Lost Chapters for the original Xbox, Fable: The Lost Chapters for PC, and Fable II and Fable III for Xbox 360, so I figured I needed Fable Anniversary since it's a classic, in my opinion, and the best Fable of the bunch.

While the game is gorgeous overall, it does show its age in some aspects such as character model graphics and whatnot, but I always saw Fable as being a more whimsical, cartoony game, so the graphics are more than fitting. The environments, however, look better than ever.

As for the gameplay, it's still the same as the original, so expect an RPG that's friendly for everyone.

Sadly, Fable Anniversary is incredibly buggy. And do note that I'm a very forgiving person, and I really never run into bugs in so-called buggy games, but Fable Anniversary is the exception. While it's still an absolutely stellar game, the fact that it'll freeze -- and it does so very often -- ruins it quite a bit. Lionhead could patch this up if them and Microsoft choose to do so, but I fear that won't happen.

If it's patched up and fixed, this'll easily be a 4-5 star game, but as it stands the issues with freezing are very, very disappointing.
on April 1, 2015
First of all: I'm writing this review after fable froze back to back within 7 minutes including the time my xbox was off, as my third restart tonight is loading up. DO NOT BUY if you still have your original, if not, go ahead, just don't pay more than 20 dollars for it.

What has changed: New menus, updated visuals, a few new sound effects, some NPCs are named.

Mostly the same game you remember, music, combat, and environment wise.

Freezes like crazy, worse than the original, worse than fallout NV. This is completely unacceptable for many obvious reasons.

I cant tell if its easier to exploit the trading system, or blink, but I'd have to go with exploiting the trading system. This absolutely should have been at the top of the list to fix.

Graphics aren't that much of an improvement, everything still looks the same. Not worth the new copy at all.
on February 20, 2014
I had high hopes for Fable Anniversary. I loved the original, Fable II, and Fable III. Unfortunately the play-ability of this game is NON-EXISTENT. The save only lets you save at checkpoints and not just anytime so items you found are lost unless you have held onto them through another checkpoint. The biggest problem is the freezing. The game constantly freezes and you have to shut down your console to get it to respond. NONE of the buttons work. I have not had this problem with any other game I have played. One time I even had to pull the power cord to get the game to shut off. The support for this game is abysmal and nearly everyone is complaining about the freezing problems. I really don't think they even bothered to test this or it would not have been released with so many bugs. I guess I will have to put this game up until they get the problems fixed because I spend more time shutting the console down than playing. For $40 I could have bought lots of manure that would have been more useful. Very disappointed by this game.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2014
This game is the poorest "remaster" I have ever seen. While you can tell that the lighting has been updated, there are still many graphics issues with the game.. For example, when walking your character's feet always have a blanket of blur around them, which can be very distracting. In no way should this game have been released without addressing this..

I have played for 2 hours and have had two system crashes already. The first system crash came when trying to enter Bowerstone. The load screen seemed to be taking an extra long time.. I walked away and the load screen was still there 30 minutes later. I had to reboot the machine. The second crash came in the middle of a bandit fight.. everything froze and I had to unplug the machine to turn off the 360.

There are frames per second issues and screen tearing as well. The icing on the cake is that the game comes in one of those extremely cheap and flimsy Xbox 360 game cases where the plastic is very thin.. and the game DOESN'T COME WITH A BOOKLET!!!

Releasing this game in this condition, with these marketing/packaging choices indicates that Microsoft/Lionhead do not have any appreciation for the fans.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2014
First of all after the game freezes on you for the second time you start walking around on egg shells. Why? Because usually it happens when you interact with one of the NPCs.

Be forewarned. The game starts off with the controller settings on "Inspired by fable 2/3" if you like your original control settings change it ASAP because once you start building magic under the FABLE 2/3 controls and decide to switch to "original" your magic spells will NOT show.

Lion Head i honestly hate you guys for screwing up AGAIN!.

The game in general is laggy also.