Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

This is a really compelling book describing the negative effects of having money. The stories and examples are primarily from the super rich, however the lessons apply to any level of income above average middle class in my mind. They are disturbing stories about what money does to people and how it takes us away from what is really important - friends, family, and other relationships. It's hard to describe what struck me about this book. Maybe it's how having money removes the basic source of self-esteem - a sense of accomplishment. It's a very quick read, but it really, really makes you think. Money may not be the root of all evil, but it's certainly not the root of happiness either. It may be one of the most serious threats to true happiness.

Recommended.
on May 29, 2012
I really enjoyed this...easy ready, but very compelling. I think ppl of all incomes would enjoy this...it really makes you thankful for what you have---a little, or a lot. The book does a few things. First, it looks at some of the cool things the rich get to do...very interesting. Then, he goes through and highlights some of the hidden things you would not think of; the dark side of money. Very interesting. Perhaps most compelling are the observations about every day life, that he's noticed bc the rich do not get to enjoy them. I plan on reading it a second time. Easy read. I highly recommend it, and would love to read more.
on April 22, 2014
I am a frequent reader of primarily non-fiction books. A friend of mine asked me to read this (although I am not a big fan of the self help aisle). I must say, I was completely blown away at how intuitive the author's view is on many of the perceived struggles that those with less financial success have in America. We all know that "money can't buy happiness," but we never appreciate that sometime too much money bring unhappiness. The book gives a rare look into the lives of the wealthy in America that is eye-opening. I would encourage everyone to give this a read!
on December 19, 2011
Fables of Fortune provides great insight into the lives and thought processes of those who have achieved or inherited staggering sums of wealth. This book is a quick and enjoyable read and it opened my eyes to the challenges that the wealthiest families face in finding true happiness. I have always believed that money does not buy happiness, but I found it fascinating to learn how excess wealth can actually make it more difficult to achieve meaning and fulfillment. I appreciate the author's willingness to share his unique perspective into this world.
on March 9, 2012
This book is a must read for everyone, especially those who have coveted wealth. Being rich is largely perceived by the middle class as the key to a happy, successful life. "What Rich People Have That You Don't Want" gives the reader an insightful glance at the realty of becoming super wealthy, providing an opportunity to rethink the sacrifice required once you reach this ultimate goal. Richard Watts writes from experience and his stories are captivating and thought provoking. The reader is given the opportunity to glimpse at what it might be like to have everything they've always wanted, only to realize what they already have deserves greater appreciation. I highly recommend this book, especially for those who believe money can solve their problems.
on February 26, 2012
Fables of Fortune examines the lives of the "super-rich" and how they may or may not be a life that the rest of us should be envying. It looks at the power money has to change inherently change an individual and a family. But this book has so many more lessons that can be applied to the "average" individual and family as well. Highly recommended.

Note: I received a printed version for review and purchased the Kindle version for myself.
on January 16, 2013
Very honest eye-opening stories from someone who has been on the inside and seen up close what really goes on for these families. This is a book that I still think about, that I'll read again, and that I'll be taking in for some time to come. I've searched for books like this for some time--this is the best I've found. Highly grounded.
on August 9, 2014
Richard Watts speaks from massive experience and is brutally honest in his advice regarding unearned wealth flowing to younger generations.His blistering clarity will no get your attention. I recommend this book without reservation.
Rodger Alan Friedman
Author of "Forging Bonds Of Steel"
on February 25, 2015
Great book. Liked the specific examples of rich families who bear a horrible burden. Much of this was what I expected or have even observed, but it was good to get a comprehensive view. It appears the best thing is to have a good amount of wealth but not too much so that it become a burden!
on February 28, 2012
I found this book very easy to read. It was fascinating and informative. Everyone who has ever dreamed of being rich or becoming super rich should read this book. The author does a great job of detailing his personal experiences with the super rich and the struggles they endure.