5.0 out of 5 stars The years cannot diminish nor time betray
Published on June 21, 2004 by PC

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh no!
I had to read this in English class
and it is horrible
Don't buy it
You are wasting your money
Published on January 10, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars The years cannot diminish nor time betray, June 21, 2004
PC (Hamilton, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fables for Our Time and Famous Poems Illustrated (Paperback)
I first read Thurber, Fables for Our Time being my first encounter, about the time I learned to read. Fables sounded suitable for a 7 year old looking for something more than the Bobbsey Twins, so I plunged into a surreal world of misogyny, mayhem, morality and madness, and thoroughly loved it! Upon discovering our family library included some of Thurber's "children's books" (13 Clocks), I began to plumb the depths of one of the great humorists/cartoonists of the 20th century. In more than 50 years, I have not encountered one so readable, enjoyable and wildly, understatedly funny. Perhaps some of the pieces are dated, for who these days can even recognize such poems as Ben Bolt and Barbara Fretchie (?), or Young Lochinvar? That is a loss in today's education, so I charge Amazon customers: introduce your children to Thurber early, when their minds are not cluttered with pop culture and "required reading". Take the time to give them context for very old stories and poems, so they may enjoy them as we did. Let them look at a world that was, at least in one man's wit, and perhaps they won't be so overwhelmed when they begin to understand the world we have left to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars "early to rise and early to bed..., October 22, 1999
W. Kiernan (Lutz, Florida) - See all my reviews
...makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead."
Quoting one of the fables; I remember reading this book thirty years ago. It is superb. The pictures are excellent too. I can still recall the man leaping down into the lion's pit to get the lady's glove, also the pictures of birds (shrikes, I think). I'll buy this one right away, my daughter will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fables for Our Time by James Thurber, October 14, 2012
This little book is the perfect introduction to the writing of one of the 20th Century's greatest humorists. I was first introduced to it by my 8th grade English teacher in 1961. Loved it then and still do. I recommend all of Thurber's work to anyone who appreciates clever and intelligent writing. I hope it's available for you young-uns on the Kindle or iPad, though holding the paper object in your hands makes it better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A national treasure, May 14, 2011
James Thurber is simply amazing both as a writer and graphic artist. His dry sense of humor is LOL, with philosophical content. His illustrations are whimsical, full of motion, and have the simplicity of Neanderthal cave paintings. An absolutely brilliant Man!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thurber Rocks!, April 7, 2010
This is James Thurber at his best. It's still GREAT after all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thurber classic, January 26, 2014
R. Larson (Oak Park IL USA) - See all my reviews
I have always been an admirer of James Thurber's work -- it represents a wide-eyed view of the world with a cynical edge. This book has many of his most memorable fables.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time for a Thurber Revival!, December 10, 2013
Anne Mills (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Thurber's second collections of short fables with animal protagonists, which he illustrated with cartoons and used to express his views on a broad range of topics, notably including marriage and McCarthyism. The dark undertone in Thurber's writing is easier to hear than in some of his earlier writings, but it is still very funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, October 27, 2014
I love this book! There was a particular fable, "The Unicorn in the Garden" that I wanted, but there were also others that I had not heard that I enjoyed, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars my earliest and best book memory, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Fables for Our Time (Hardcover)
I was given this book in hardcover when I was about 10 by a family friend, the same friend who introduced me to astronomy and science...he was working at Raytheon on a thing called a laser...maybe 1959-60?

Favorite book, always gives me a great twist on contemporary man's culture, mindset and futility. The sarcasm and humor is eternal. Must reading for every 9.5-95 year old.

CSC

5.0 out of 5 stars He is wonderful., August 17, 2014
Pithy, insightful, and incredibly creative. He is wonderful.

Fables for Our Time and Famous Poems Illustrated
Fables for Our Time and Famous Poems Illustrated by James Thurber (Paperback - March 1, 1995)
$12.99 $9.70