Top critical review
2 people found this helpful
This is the third time I've gotten a terrible headache accompanied by nausea after using this cleanser
on March 1, 2016
BEWARE! I have to add my review to the chorus of others saying that this triggers migraines, nausea, and a host of other unpleasant reactions that includes throat irritation and cough. I just threw out half a bottle last night because after I cleaned my kitchen with it my day was ruined. This is the third time I've gotten a terrible headache accompanied by nausea after using this cleanser, plus sore throat.
When I first used it, I thought, wow, this stuff really leaves a clean scent that lasts and lasts and lasts! I was cleaning for house guests, and did not stay in my house for long after I finished. The smell was the main thing I noticed about it--it did not do a particularly great job cutting through grime or stains, so I put it away and used another cleanser the next several times I cleaned. I liked the 'fresh' scent it left, however, and thought it made everything smell really 'clean'. At no time did I think it remotely smelled like lavender--not sure what the other person is talking about. I like the scent of lavender, have some in sachets in my clothes, but this smell is very artificial, overwhelming and chemical-smelling. However, that was not a problem for me as I mostly wanted the bathroom and kitchen area to smell clean, and I thought it did initially.
Pulled it out again, used it and felt terrible--it takes a lot for me throw up, and I didn't, but I did have to lay down and rest for a few hours because I was lightheaded and dizzy and generally felt "off". I attributed it to not having eaten much that day, even though the smell of the Fabuloso was definitely bothering me. I thought, no way would they be selling something that creates this kind of reaction in people, it must be me.
The next time I noticed it I was at work and the cleaning crew was using it on the floors. I was cooking and the smell of Fabuloso was overpowering, kind of a sickly sweet smell combined with ammonia/harsh cleanser odor. Absolutely permeating, even after they had been done for a few hours. I tried to work through it but became so ill I couldn't continue and had to go home. The sight and smell of food was making me gag because of the nausea induced by this cleanser. I got a terrible headache that turned into a migraine, complete with aura and vomiting. I have never had a migraine in my life and thought something was very wrong with me neurologically. I got my boyfriend to come get me and spent the next 5 hours in bed, afraid I should got to the hospital but more afraid I wouldn't be able to afford the bill. This time I did make the connection that it was the Fabuloso causing the reaction, but thought there must be other factors and that it was a fluke.
Yesterday I was deep cleaning after a party here and thought I should use something to really freshen up the place since there had been beer spilled and some cigarette smoke had wafted in from outside. I cleaned the whole house, and mopped the kitchen with Fabuloso. Within minutes I felt the same nausea and headache feeling, and it did not go away even though I opened the doors to air out the house and re-mopped with plain water to get the smell out. Today I made breakfast and could still smell it lingering, and have not been able to eat since breakfast and have had a headache all day.
So whatever is in this stuff, whatever creates the super strong smell that takes days to dissipate is TOXIC and I am relieved to see that this is not all in my head and others have had the same response. I am a healthy woman in my late 30s, 5'7, medium build, average weight. I have no allergies and am not reactive to things generally, but this stuff has triggered a reaction in me multiple times and it is unmistakably the cleaner that is doing it. I prefer to use natural cleansers when I can, but sometimes you gotta break out the strong stuff. I am not opposed to using chemicals to get the job done but Fabuloso is awful and I would warn anyone against using it, especially if you have children or pets.
I have read up on it and cannot believe this is classified as safe. It is not safe, and I am worried about possible long-term effects now that I have been exposed to it so many times. If anything it should be sold as an industrial cleaner, not for household use.
Not sure if there is an agency to report this to, but I want to warn everyone else--stay away from this stuff, it can make you sick!