Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:48:52 AM PST
I still amazed that only two people questioned her reference to people dying and hundreds raved about her inspirational message. Frightening people.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:58:23 AM PST
John Green says:
That's been happening for some time now; I feel sorry for LilyDoe.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:15:13 AM PST
anna says:
The same level of critical thinking is applied to reading the novels LKH writes. At least she has fans who really like her last minute scribblings.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 11:58:23 AM PST
AmberLeigh says:
I have seen a lot of Hamilton's fans who only read her novels over and over so I am not surprised they think she is the best. If you are never exposed to other things then you probably think the crap she spews is enlightening. Every time a new vampire or fae story comes along its automatic that her fans assume it is copies of her work. It is actually kind of sad more people don't research a little if they love the genre so much. Then they would see a lot of Hamilton's work is actually taken from myths that I am sure many people have read and developed stories based on. They would also see a lot of people do it better and actually have development in their books that leads to sex scenes that aren't just gross and pointless. Also they would see not every author writes books based on mary-sues, that some authors are very passionate about their characters, but actually can kill them off to develop the story. They don't whine and cry about deadlines and they don't try to enlighten the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 12:21:13 PM PST
E. A Solinas says:
It is rather sad, as evidenced by people assuming "Lost Girl" must be a ripoff of Anita... despite having almost no similarities whatsoever. I mean, the main character is a brunette woman, and she's a succubus. There the resemblance ends.

It's even sadder because these people are potentially cutting themselves off from better, more enjoyable works because they think they rip off LKH, or because they have trained themselves to only appreciate Sues.

And I have a lot of respect for authors who have a workmanlike attitude towards their writing, rather than being fainting dewy artistes who can only write on the first sunny Sunday of a month beginning with J.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 8:14:32 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 17, 2012 8:17:15 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:42:56 PM PST
E. A Solinas says:
Oh pooh, what did you say?

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:21:47 PM PST
>My goal was to finish short story before tomorrow so I could start early on the edits of Kiss the Dead. The edits just came back from my editor today, but I'm too tired. Sometimes you can push the muse through the tired and get good work done, but sometimes you just have to admit you, your muse, and even your imaginary friends, are wanting some time to rest. So goodnight everyone, I'll hit the sho...rt piece tomorrow morning. Goal; to have it finished before lunch. Then afternoon I start the edits. My editor says, it's very clean, which means not a lot of changes for me to look over, but still it takes time, and the edits have a deadline just like the book itself did. This is early enough in the editing process that I have one more chance to take out small scenes, or plot threads that didn't quite weave all the way through. If I'm going to cut and save anymore for another book this is my last shot at it. If I'm going to modify anyone's new character growth, now is it. I usually let most things stand, but there's one minor character that came off too dark, I think. I may soften them, and save the harsh for another book. It's too good an idea to bring up and not follow through on it in the same book, I think<

Uh.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 10:37:13 PM PST
Cassy says:
To laugh or to cry that is the question.....

"My editor says, it's very clean..."

OK, laughing wins.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:51:51 PM PST
E. A Solinas says:
"My editor says, it's very clean. It doesn't have, fingerprints or smudges, anywhere on the, paper."

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 11:00:36 PM PST
anna says:
Character development of a minor character? One of the bodyguards got a walkie-talkie in his pants.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 6:06:45 AM PST
Translation-

NY wants these edits back ASAP but I don't like being rushed so I'm gonna do this 'short' piece instead, watch me prattle on about what I want rather then what the editors want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 7:26:06 AM PST
Alice Felle says:
Holy block of text, Batman. My eyes are watering.
Also, her 'muse' needs to get some sleep and let work ethic take over for a little while. >:( Grrrr. Arrgh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 8:02:16 AM PST
Magdalen77 says:
She really doesn't have a clue. She's insisting on working on something that she's not getting paid for (and likely never will) and not working on something that has $$$ at the end of it.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 9:08:11 AM PST
anna says:
At the very least she could help herself. I find it hard to believe a thinking human would destroy their income over someone telling them what to fix in their shoddily thrown together novel.
Why have such disregard for her contracts, her publishing house and editing (by having a fan do it) on display on her public account twitter?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 9:45:33 AM PST
Magdalen77 says:
I don't think she realizes what it looks like. Since she thinks that she writes "90% gold" first drafts she sees nothing wrong in getting a class A bootlicker and sycophant who wouldn't question anything she wrote as the person to "help" her review the edits. She likely thinks that it's not really necessary to even do edits, her book could get published exactly the way she pooped it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 10:08:10 AM PST
Deb Devaki says:
Hey! My first ever time do be deleted by Amazon! What should I do now? Do I start wearing a scarlet "A" or something?

It was just a comment sarcastically comparing Lost Girl to Anita.
Lost Girl is tall and thin, Anita is short and has creamy mounds.
Lost Girl is a succubus who sometimes kills, Anita is a succubus who s**es.
Lost Girl has fighting Fae and then a comment about Anita has weres and vamps who are....um.....humpty dumpty.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 10:52:20 AM PST
Boo says:
Yeah, that doesn't sound like her usual 90% gold at all. She's -got- to be pretending that the edits are her idea, and that this is just business as usual.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:03:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012 12:08:11 PM PST
anna says:
<<15 pages on the short story, but not quite done. Off to lunch, need some protein. I'm giving myself until end of today/tonight to finish this story. I'm close, but I'm circling around some confusing concepts like love, beauty, and our perceptions of others, and ourselves. How clearly do we see ourselves? If we looked at our own faces and bodies with as much love and kindness as we show our friends and loved ones think how much happier we'd be. I find that most people are so harsh to themselves that they destroy much of the good in their lives with doubts, and second guessing. I know I've done that in the past, but no matter how healthy you think you've become those last few lingering spots remain, and there is where you hate yourself. Or at least, there is where you get stuck, if you're not careful.>>

I bet it's a short story about a really bootiful girl who is told she's ugly in actions and deeds by some meanies. Luckily the bootiful girl who is tinie tiny with huge hooters has servants who tell her how wonderful she is, especially as an employer, so she could ignore the meanies.
If that doesn't sound like much of a story, I agree.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:59:30 PM PST
lifewontwait says:
Somewhere in her mutterings on twitter and facebook, she mentions that the short story is for an anthology, so she will be getting paid for it. Wonder which publisher is going to put it out? Maybe one of her facebook friends would like to ask?

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 1:02:58 PM PST
John Green says:
I've been blocked so we ain't friends no more... but methinks there's one or two out here who can get through to her, so to speak.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 1:21:24 PM PST
Alan H. says:
<but I'm circling around some confusing concepts like love, beauty, and our perceptions of others, and ourselves>

Why is the Twilight Zone episode "Eye of the Beholder" suddenly in my mind?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 3:28:20 PM PST
Why are these confusing concepts?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 3:41:02 PM PST
lifewontwait says:
Confusing only to her, apparently.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 8:09:34 PM PST
Nic says:
I am friends with her on FB. I can ask though I really doubt I will get a reply.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  78
Total posts:  2522
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Hardcover - June 5, 2012)
3.2 out of 5 stars   (605)