Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Facebook for Grown-Ups
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon April 7, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Facebooks for Grown-Ups is really a slightly misleading title for this book. It should really be Facebook for people who barely use the internet.
I have a facebook account and use it to very occassionally post updates, pictures and videos and that's about it so I thought this book would be perfect for teaching me the hidden things that I don't know about. I was wrong.
After a brief introduction on the history of social networking and what it is followed by a whole chapter on how to sign up for a Facebook account the book procedes to take each piece of facebook and explain it in a way that people who have very little computing skills and barely touch the internet would understand but for those of us who have even a slight understanding of web pages would find tedious. For example the author takes 4 pages to detail how to watch a video your facebook friend has posted or 6 pages to detail how to view your friends photographs.
Some chapters are better than others and contain some genuinely useful information for example the chapter on security and who gets to see your posts, pictures etc. and how to create a fan page but for the most part facebook is intuitive to use and having someone explain it in step by step directions gets boring quickly.
In saying that however there is a target audience for this book. If you have older family members (and by older I mean people who are generally 60+) and/or people who don't have a lot of experience with computers then this book would actually be quite good for them. My father who is in his 80s for example, has a computer which he barely knows how to use and generally uses it for email would gain from this book and learn new ways to keep in contact with his family.
Therefore for most people I can't honestly recommend this title and have only given it 1 out 5 stars, but if you or someone you know falls into the category I described just above then I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars.
VINE VOICEon April 6, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have had fun reading this book and trying out lots of the ideas in it. I had a Facebook account already, but was rather afraid of it. This book really helped out, showing what you could do, and why certain things were or were not advisable. It was very easy to follow, for someone who is not even close to being a techie (like me). This is a great book for people who are unfamiliar with Facebook, or who (like me) are/were afraid of it! I will still be very careful with my information, and this book helps me to do it!

Thanks to the writer for helping me to jump this hurdle. I wonder if he's going to do a book on texting???
VINE VOICEon September 15, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a useful book if you want to use Facebook and don't have a helpful teenager to guide you through it or you want to know how to keep an eye on your kids' use of Facebook.

The book is easy to navigate and covers everything and more that you will probably want to do on Facebook. You may not want to read it from cover-to-cover, but it is helpful to have as a reference if you don't know how to do something.

The only fault I would find with this book is its suggestions about how to trick your kids into being your friend on Facebook so that you can spy on them.

I am not saying that parents shouldn't want to know what their kids are up to, but depending on the age of the child you might be risking more by doing some of the things suggested here than by trying for a more open approach.
VINE VOICEon May 23, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a techie. Love gadgets, new toys, etc. But I seem to be having issues with all these social networking sites. The world doesn't need to know all that much about me and what I am doing. Or does it?

Well, I am still resisting. I know resistance is futile, they say. But I am still holding out.

This book will help me enter that frontier. I like how it gives the ins and outs of the medium. Things to do to protect yourself. Even if some think it may be a bit simplistic or common sense, I would rather have that approach and gloss over it if I know enough, than to have the author assume more than he/she should.

This is a great resource to help those like me maneuver uncharted waters. And it's in a really good format and easy to read.
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If like me you've seen other people hooked online chatting with their friends or playing 'Farmville' on Facebook or if you just saw the film 'Social Network' and wondered what all the fuss is, this book is a good primer for you.

Part 1 is an introduction and steps on how to set up an account. Most of this is pretty easy and straight forward. They introduce what social networking is. They tell you basic do's and don'ts. Do post frequently but not too often, Do update your account, Do watch your spelling and language. Don't post adult material, Don't be a troll, Don't post anything that you wouldn't want the whole world (or your mother to see).

There is a short chapter on finding your friends family and acquaintances. How to use the search features. How to fill out your profile properly so that people can find you.

Chapter 3 teaches how to navigate within face book. How to post things on your wall. How to set up a news feed. How to organize things, how to use the toolbars, etc. How to search. How to logout and secure your personal information.

Part 2 shows how to keep in touch with the friends you have. How to hide from friends you don't like. How to monitor your kids FB activity. How to set up photo albums and such. How to send and receive messages and Communications.

Part 3 goes further into connecting with friends. What is OK to share and what should be really really left out. How to set up Chat. How to send `private' (nothing online is REALLY private) messages.

Part 4 takes sharing to the next level. There are instructions on sharing photo albums, Videos, Events, and other cool things. The good thing is you don't have to be technical at all just follow their examples.

Part 5 shares the good stuff. How to become a fan. How to setup your business contacts. How to join like minded groups and best of all Games! Become addicted to Farmville and family feud.

Part 6 goes into deep detail about how to keep your information private and basic housekeeping chores. Best of all it shows you how to leave Facebook when you finally admit to yourself you are addicted and haven't seen the sun or moon in months.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon August 8, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With the world connecting digitally like never before, Face Book (and it's younger cousin Twitter) are in the news (and on the big screen in The Social Network). Like those "For Dummies" books on everything from gardening to estate planning, there had to be a simple book explaining Facebook to the uninitiated. This book tries and - mostly succeeds- at that.

The title makes the assumption that every teenager learns the newest social networking from his or her friends. This leaves "Grownups" (never quite defined by the author) to learn elsewhere. If their kids are "networking" with their FB friends and the parents want to know what they are doing, they need to find out for themselves. (Though parents should expect to have their own children "friend tem". Most won't).

The 322-page book is printed in LARGE TYPEFACE - so you KNOW that it's aimed at "grownups. After a brief history of social networking, the author shows you how to set up a FB account. He then provides ways to use FB without filling your day with idle chat. I've had a FB account for a few years now and have found it a great way to find old classmates of 30-40 years ago! But I've also learned how to "unfriend" folks who fill my "wall" with comments like "I just got up" and "I'm having a bad hair day". This book taught me how to politely and quietly unfriend these folks. I also learned how to use some of the features that are not prominent. Most importantly the book will teach you how to tweak your account so that your privacy is maintained. (There are articles about this in newspapers and magazines but it's handy to have it here.

No I don't Twitter - and there is probably a book called "Twitter for Grown-ups" out there, but I do find FB handy. So I would recommend this book for "mostly" newbies who want to learn what FB is all about.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"
on July 2, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a 61 year old Facebook holdout. I get frequent emails requesting my participation. There are offers from companies I use that can only be accessed if I have a Facebook account. Yet, I still resist. I saw this book and decided to at least educate myself about it. I still may not open an account, but at least I will know more about what I am choosing to miss out on.

In reading this book, I am amazed at all of the information needed to fully use Facebook. I have a feeling the site is pretty intuitive for those having used computers most of their lives. For people like me, having written instructions is necessary. I realize that there is no way for me to remember all of the instructions, so it's nice to have the book knowing I can go back and re-read any parts needed. There are lots of pictures showing what the screen will look like when you are in different parts of Facebook. Those pictures are quite helpful, in my opinion. I think the chapter in the book that I found a bit disturbing was the one on using Facebook to check up on your children and how to still use it if they refuse to "friend" you. Maybe I would feel differently if I had teenage children or grandchildren. In my current circumstance, I don't have to worry about checking up on anyone.

I can see that there is much that Facebook can make easier, such as getting information to lots of people quickly. I can also see where it can cause problems. My children do use Facebook and one is always getting their feelings hurt when they have to find something out on Facebook rather than being told directly (my son announced the sex of his expected child on Facebook and his sister resented finding it out that way). Facebook isn't going to be going away (at least until something else comes along to replace it). I am glad I have had the opportunity to learn more about it and now have this book if I decide to open an account.
VINE VOICEon July 21, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Facebook is a moving target, with its many new features and interface changes, but this book gives the basics from an adult point of view.

The fact that Facebook changes features and interface constantly means that any book on the subject is going to be out of date very quickly.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are seriously into social networking, this isn't your book.

If you find the internet to be a frightening place with incomprehensible rules and even stranger dangers hidden everywhere just waiting to trip you up and steal your identity, but you want to keep up with your kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews...this is the book for you.

It makes Facebook, a very strange and bizarre place to older adults fairly new and inexperienced with the internet, a much less threatening place. It takes the incomprehensible and shows it for what it is.

Face it, Facebook is in the news a lot, and it is usually about terrible things that have happened via its pages. That's not the rule however, just like everyone who goes to Las Vegas doesn't come home a millionaire.

For myself, the book was rather blahhh, but I have used social networking for years. For my mother and aunts however, Facebook is much less familiar and far more dangerous as a location. It doesn't make sense to them.

This is the book for that group--the ones who aren't as net savvy, aren't as comfortable with the cyber world and don't find it a familiar place, even though it does have its risks and hazards. It's worth its weight in gold for them too--it will stop the midnight panic stricken calls about who is so and so and why do they want to be my friend and about how they got a strange message from so and so, and their account has probably been hacked by cyber terrorists who will promptly empty their bank account.

Okay, so those things could happen...but aren't likely if you manage your account properly. This is going to help reduce the panic calls and aggravation tenfold over what you spend on the book. It's clearly written without "talking down" to anyone.

Granted, since Facebook is continually changing things, some things are already outdated, but the gist of the material is going to be correct. If you have parents, friends, or other relatives who aren't net savvy, and you are tired of hearing about how Facebook is the new anti-christ...buy them this book. Get your sanity back while you simplify your life.
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"Facebook for Grown-Ups" is a step by step guide to just about every functionality found within the main Facebook application: from initial account setup to deleting your account, should you ever wish to do so, Michael Miller's clear guide has got you covered. What this guide doesn't cover is how to use many of the stand-alone games and "applications" that you can access through Facebook, like "Farmville", "Mafia Wars" and other time-killers of that sort. But if you want to learn about a basic Facebook functionality Miller will take you through the process step-by-step.

If you are an experienced computer/Facebook user, you will most likely find the majority of the book too basic and that it covers ground that you're already familiar with. In that sense "Facebook for Grown-Ups" bears a resemblance to other "Complete Idiots Guide to..." (The Complete Idiot's Guide to Facebook) and "... for Dummies" (Facebook For Dummies) books on the market and may be "too basic". And while Mr. Miller provides his opinion as to how grown-up users "might" use their Facebook accounts in ways that differ from their younger counterparts (i.e. teenage to thirty-something users), how a "grown-up" posts a status update, uploads a picture/video, "tags" friends, updates profile settings, -insert function here- , will pretty much follow the same steps followed by a younger user.

There are a few sections that are aimed specifically at grown-ups (or parents), such as "Keeping Tabs on Your Kids" and Miller also puts a strong emphasis on the privacy settings section (a excellent idea), but again most of the book is not "grown-up" specific. Overall this is a basic guide to Facebook that really anyone could utilize IF you're looking for a clearly written, step-by-step guide to navigating your way around Facebook. The tone is friendly and never condescending, Miller' humor is self-deprecating, and the many screen shots provide clear illustrations so you know exactly what the author is talking about.

Recommended for beginners and those not comfortable around computers, but, if you are an experienced Facebook user, you can probably skip this.