Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

VINE VOICEon March 21, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Good book - don't misunderstand the purpose of it.

This is a fine introduction to marketing with Facebook, but seems especially geared toward those who are new to FB, or who only use it for basic personal purposes. If that's you, it will be a helpful step-by-step tutorial to using FB's features to promote something. That's pretty much what the book claims.

But, the write up also stresses how profitable it will be even if you're a PRpro, etc. I disagree. If you're computer savvy, used to promotion, and you've spent much time at all on FB, you won't find much new here.

There are some good tips on using demographic tools, and developing communities. Some of the book is already obsolete, such as the section on creating a landing page for your business. FB has now done away with landing pages.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First, I have to say, I resisted FB for a long time, and once I realize I needed it for business ("free PR that can potentially reach millions--you're dumb to ignore it!"), I resigned myself and opened an account.

However, while I love Twitter and find it effortless and enjoyable, that was not the case with FB. Using it...enjoying it...has been quite a struggle because it seemed like such a jumble--messages from people I don't know who are somehow "friends"...the "job" of sharing things about myself out into the internet with...who knows who?...and so much distraction, apparently with minimal purpose.

Long way of saying, I was a good (though reluctant) candidate for this book. I don't "get" FB, but I accept that I need it and want to learn why people love it so much--and how so many use it so effectively.

So this was a book I'd either love or hate, and I'm glad to say the verdict is: "love". The authors start with the "basics" (which I still need), and learned about how the various features worked together, including how to add video, improve privacy settings, and then move into marketing (helpfully divided into beginning, intermediate and advanced).

Unlike Facebook itself (to me), this book is well structured, sequential and full of step-by-step instructions and practical tips and examples. I thought it was excellent--extremely helpful.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
An updated step-by-step guide to Facebook's newest features, marketing strategies, and much more. Brian Carter and Justin Levy skillfully created a valuable tool for all Facebook members, teaching how-to Master best practices, build thriving communities, and how-to promote for business. I highly recommend "FACEBOOK MARKETING-Third Edition" to new members who wish to learn about the basics, to those who wish to establish a Corporate Presence, and those who prepare to profit from Facebook trends. The Growth of social networks in today's world and the importance of its growth to Your Business is only one reason why this book is a Must-have!
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you have, say, a small service business like a landscaping company, or a local retail store, you may have been advised that you should definitely have a Facebook page. And you should! While in my view there are other, more powerful ways of doing marketing such as search engine optimization and having an email list, having a Facebook page takes so little effort for the return it gives you that it would be shortsighted not to at least consider developing one.

This book is very convincing as to the reasons you ought to get started and Facebook, and it gives you a great overview of how to get started, some of the ways you can use Facebook, and the benefits you should receive from taking some simple actions.

That said, Facebook changes so much that ordering a printed book about Facebook marketing means it's almost guaranteed to be out of date by the time you receive it. This is the problem with doing marketing on any kind of platform that you don't own. They can change the rules at any time, and you can't really do anything about it except accept those changes and move forward.

Some of the changes, such as Facebook removing landing pages, developing new advertising models, and inventing Facebook gifts, make parts of this book irrelevant and mean that it's leaving out important information that people who manage social media professionally or are passionately involved in Facebook campaigns will need. This isn't the fault of the author, it's just a fact of life when reading a print book about a specific type of social media and how to leverage it.

Overall, this is still a good book for those interested in getting started on Facebook. It will hold your hand and convince you of the value of devoting a little bit of time to promoting your page. However, media and other professionals should look elsewhere for the type of in-depth, up-to-date information you'll need to manage your social media campaigns.
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Don't know how to use the web?
Just got onto Facebook?
Considering a career in selling products online?

Then this book is for you.

That, of course, is most of the population unequipped to use this book. For those of you who are actively searching for help in marketing, doing PR, and moving product on Facebook, this is hopelessly outdated. With the invention of Facebook gifts, new advertising models, the removal of "landing pages," and the complete restructuring of Facebook since their IPO, most of this information is superfluous at best.

Look elsewhere first.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The popularity and growth of Facebook has simply been staggering. For many people Facebook has become an integral part of their lives. It has become a way to connect with friends, family members and like minded individuals whether they live down the street, in another state or around the world. The social benefits of Facebook are easy to understand. It is fantastic.

It is so easy for most people to see the numerous benefits of connecting on Facebook. The benefits to those wanting to sell products are services are equally fantastic - if and only if you understand and use Facebook properly. Facebook is a giant social gathering. You would not attend a large party or wedding reception and start trying to sell your product or service. Nor should you jump on Facebook and start trying to use it as a promotion platform. You must build relationships with your prospective customers.

Facebook Marketing by Brain Carter and Justin Levy is a step by step guide on how to effectively use Facebook in your marketing efforts. For the small business owner, mass media marketing is not an effective method of reaching your potential prospects. Facebook allows you to segment and narrow down the people you are marketing to.

While pay per click marketing allows you to tailor your message to prospects searching for exactly what you offer, it is limited in that you can only appeal to your prospect at the time they are actively searching. This eliminates the vast majority of your potential prospects. Facebook on the other hand allows you to identify your potential prospects by certain demographics and psychographics and start to build relationships and trust with them.

The book starts with a very basic introduction to Facebook. So if you are totally new to Facebook, you can get an account set up in minutes and have a good understanding of how to navigate Facebook. Next the book goes into establishing a business page - explaining the difference between a personal presence and a business page.

Part two of the book deals with intermediate marketing skills - how and why you should be using Facebook advertising. How to track whether your actions are working for you using Facebook analytics. Then the authors discuss how to set up and manage Facebook communities. They also give you some good guidelines of what to expect from your communities.

Part three deals with how to get the most out of advanced Facebook features.

If you are not a seasoned professional Facebook marketer, this book will save you lots of time, money and mistakes. It is well laid out with plenty of specific examples and actual screen shots of Facebook campaigns.

Facebook marketing is rapidly growing and will be essential for small businesses that want to grow and succeed. For a lot of small businesses, it has replaced pay per click as their marketing of choice. You will need to master the skills of Facebook marketing is you want to stay competitive. This is an excellent tool to help you master Facebook Marketing.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really don't think you can read enough books on Facebook because it's changing all the time. If you want to effectively market with Facebook, you need to read everything you can, and this book is definitely a great place to start.

Brian Carter and Justin Levy are experts in Facebook marketing. They really know this topic inside and out, and in this book they share everything you need to know to get started marketing on Facebook.

There are no tricks or "here today and gone tomorrow strategies" in this book. This is the type of solid marketing information you always hope you will find and that you hope the author has learned from experience. In that respect you definitely won't be disappointed here. (A quick glance at Brian Carter's resume in this area will prove to you that he's the real deal when it comes to Facebook marketing.)

You're probably wondering with this type of glowing review what you will actually learn in this book. First of all, the authors take you on a walk through of every area on Facebook where you can market. They show you how to get started on Facebook by showing you how to navigate the site, as well as addressing any privacy concerns you may have.

Then you determine whether you will establish a corporate presence or an individual presence. After that, it's about taking each section of Facebook and learning how to market there: FB Ads, Pages, Developing a Community. Once you've mastered these areas, then you move on to more advanced FB marketing techniques like integrating Facebook into your website and using Local as a way to really get more traffic and sales.

Although I'm not a big fan of case studies, I do love it when authors provide examples. Then you can take those examples apart and determine how things are done so you can use those strategies to build your own successful promotional properties. Some of the examples offered are Vin Diesel and I Wish I Were Diving. Although I would like to have more business examples as I am a business person, what I learned from these examples was still helpful.

Whether you are new to Facebook marketing, or you're an old pro, you'll find at least one or two techniques here you can use to build a successful Facebook presence. The best part is that it won't cost you anything other than this book to implement these strategies unless you decide to use the ads.

Your Facebook education should start here. It will save you months in frustration and have you marketing like expert before you know it.
on June 21, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook. On the one hand, I spend hours every day on it. It's a great way to connect with colleagues, friends, family, and complete strangers you have something in common with. I have a page on Facebook, I've advertised on Facebook, and I have no doubt that Facebook has been indispensable to my business. I'm a writer, and I think having a Facebook presence is important to every creative professional who isn't already in the major leagues.

That's as far as the love part of the relationship goes.

Now for the hate.

Facebook is constantly changing. And. It's. Driving. Me. Insane.

Which is the problem with writing books about Facebook: by the time the book is ready for publication, Facebook has changed AGAIN.

That brings us to this book, Facebook Marketing: Leveraging Facebook's Features for Your Marketing Campaigns (Third Edition).

I read this book cover-to-cover, and I highlighted so many things. I also wrote notes along the margins about how I could make these suggestions work for me. I think that at the time that it was written, this book was probably perfect, the ultimate book on Facebook marketing.

But then Facebook changed. Again.

The writers had enough foresight to know that Timeline--which is a huge part of Facebook today--was around the corner. What they didn't know--what no one knew--was that Timeline was going to become a part of pages, so that all that hard work you put into making the perfect page for your business got tossed out the proverbial window.

I know this because I used Pagemodo to create a great homepage with a book trailer for my latest book, reviews, and links to the places where people can buy it. I also used BookBuzzer to create a page where you could read the opening chapters of my latest book. It was awesome! Now thanks to Facebook changing everything, that's all gone. You can find it if you go poking around on my page, but who's going to do that? I did create a pretty cool Timeline photo with the covers of all my books, but that's all people see when they first visit it.

Nice going, Facebook.

Of course, Timeline isn't the only thing that's changed. Facebook has also changed how advertising works with "Sponsored Stories." This isn't mentioned in the book, because it didn't exist until a very short time ago, well after the book was published. Is it a good way to market your business? I don't know, but I'm trying it out now for $1 a day. If it works, I'll keep it up. If not, I'll drop it.

The book is still great, because it gives you wonderful insights into how Facebook generally works, even if all the details keep changing. No matter how much you know about Facebook marketing, you're sure to learn a few things you didn't know. For example, I've learned that I can share things from other websites specifically to my page or to a Facebook group. This is a big deal for me, because I can post something to my blog and then share it to the groups I belong to on Facebook that I think will be interested in it.

I also now know that it's important to comment on my own posts, which is even truer today because Facebook's latest algorithm means I'm pretty much talking to no one at all if my posts receive no comments. The more you post and comment in a group, the greater the chance of your avatar appearing in the banner above that group's page. Posting and commenting a lot will bring your avatar closer to the right, where people are more likely to see it. That line of avatars at the top of a group page didn't even exist when this book was written.

There are only two things I wish the book had done differently: first, I'd like to see a website connected with the book so that everything is updated in real time. The book could even have a Twitter and Facebook page that announces changes and an option to receive a monthly newsletter with updates. Second, I wish each chapter ended with a brief "action plan," as in concrete suggestions for what you can do that will help your Facebook marketing campaign.

I can't fault the writers of this book for being unable to predict the changes that Facebook would make only months after the book was published. Who could? But they have created both a very interesting and useful book for anyone interested in using Facebook as a part of their social media marketing plan.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
According to the Nielsen Media Research study released in December 2011, Facebook is the second most accessed website in the US. Nearly half the country has Facebook accounts with around 875 million users, which would make Facebook the world's third most populous country if it was a political sovereignty. On May 17, 2012, Facebook, Inc. held an initial public offering negotiating a share price of $38 valuing the company at $104 billion, the largest valuation to date for a newly listed public company. Despite the shakiness of the stock value in the weeks since, there is no getting around the fact that entrepreneurs and enterprises recognize a need for a Facebook presence to partake in a piece of the burgeoning social commerce pie. Social media mavens Brian Carter and Justin Levy provide an effective primer that helps the relative online neophyte get started on Facebook with the intent of optimizing it for business and branding.

The book effectively breaks down a lot of features which may not be readily apparent from a personal user standpoint such as how exactly Facebook's News Feed works. Blending top stories and recent entries, the feed is determined through an internal algorithm called EdgeRank and is calculated by the unique mix of friends and pages with which you interact the most. Consequently, you will see more of the types of posts (statuses, photos, videos and questions) you interact with, and in turn, less of those you don't. The co-authors discuss changes in Facebook's privacy policy, how these could affect your business and what you need to know about the limits of online privacy. Moreover, they teach you how to design custom landing tabs, event platforms and measure your Facebook performance. In turn, the co-authors go on to describe how to make the most of advertising campaigns on Facebook and the role of community building around corporate causes, commercial or otherwise.

The section on analytics is probably the most critical part of the book because Carter and Levy give clear guidance on how to access data about users and their interactions on a business's pages and how to use Google Analytics and other third-party tools to gain deeper knowledge about their user base. Easily the most entertaining section focuses on the successful use cases for Facebook and how the best pages leverage existing websites by means of the Like button, as well as the chat and comments features. It details how Facebook Credits works and explains why virtual currency is an essential monetization effort by Facebook. I especially enjoyed the "Best in Class Facebook Pages" whose subjects range from Barack Obama to Brian Solis to Volkswagen. Even though the edition I read was published this year, it didn't go into the replacement of the Profile with the Timeline and the controversy that decision engendered. Regardless, it's a solid how-to book for those just beginning to consider Facebook as a viable channel for business development.
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A very good handbook for explaining Facebook and its potential value as a marketing medium. The book has four sections. Section 1 opens with the assumption that one knows little about Facebook's founding, and provides a background on how it started and how it grew. It covers privacy issues (the concern of many) and how to establish a corporate presence, but I think the authors could have done a more succinct job up front of outlining how Facebook is structured. This would have given the reader a way to mentally "file" the various bits of information presented in the book. The authors eventually do cover Facebook's operating structure, but it's done more in a conversational manner throughout the book instead of a straightforward explanation. For the next edition I'd suggest the authors present early on a nice diagram explaining profiles, pages and groups, and include examples of various ways one's profile, pages, and groups can be set up. Also, we probably don't need to read as much about Zuckerberg as is presented, as that information is almost common knowledge by now and is easily found in myriad places online. Besides, I'm not really concerned with how wealthy Zuckerberg has become.

Section 2 starts out with how to make an ad (helpful if you've never done it), but I was hoping the authors would have spent time explaining about what makes for a good ad instead of going from "how to create an ad" straight into how to analyze / track ad effectiveness. If you're looking for how to do good Facebook advertising, it's not really touched on here, so consider Killer Facebook Ads: Master Cutting-Edge Facebook Advertising Techniques by Marty Weintraub, instead. Chapter 6 in this section, "Using Facebook to Develop Communities" is done well and is very valuable. If you are wondering about what value Facebook might have for your business and what you can/should do with Facebook as a business person, be sure to read this chapter!

Section 3 is about Getting the Most Out of Advanced Facebook Features. Much of this material is about setting up options on your business page, and is useful. That said, I think any material on structuring your business page should have been presented *before* the material in Section 2 on how to promote your page with ads and how to track usage and effectiveness. Therefore, I personally recommend reading Section 3 BEFORE you read Section 2!

Section 4 (Role Models and Predictions) provides screen shots and explanations of successful Facebook Fan pages, and a (very) brief summary of what to do to make the most of your Facebook page. Although the examples show impressive statistics, most are for well-known products and famous people --- not much is offered in terms of success stories about small businesses that were able to expand their Fan base using techniques given.

Overall, this is a good book, not a great book. Someone new to Facebook for business marketing will gain useful information. It's somewhat disjointed and rather light on several topics I'd expect to see in a book entitled Facebook Marketing, but overall it has useful and valuable info. Four stars.