5.0 out of 5 stars A second gem from Lewis Aleman
Published on February 2, 2010 by McG

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave it 30 pages, then gave it up...
Published on March 23, 2010 by Michael Charney

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave it 30 pages, then gave it up..., March 23, 2010
On a search for a good time travel adventure, I picked up this book based on the Amazon reviews. Unfortunately, I found it completely unreadable, with sentences that defy both grammar and logic, similes that a 4th-grader would find cliched, and a character that comes off as merely pathetic. I wanted to keep reading--I really did, but decided all too soon that there were better things to do with my life. Maybe it gets better after page 30, but somehow I doubt it.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK, May 4, 2012
This review is from: Faces in Time: A Time Travel Thriller (Kindle Edition)
DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK THE 5 STAR REVIEWS ARE FAKE. THIS IS THE WORST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ.

You remember that guy or girl in high school who kept telling everyone they were a writer? Everywhere they went they carried a notebook to jot down ideas, poetry, and deep thoughts. They had these big dreams of how they were going to change the world with their words. But then unfortunately you either got a look at what they were writing or you heard them read it out loud and you quickly realized ... Not everyone is a good writer and some people are the only ones who can stand the sound of their own voice. Certain people are just downright pathetic when it comes to storytelling and should realize that stringing unintelligible words and sentences together does not make you an author. Just like cooking scrambled eggs does not make me a chef. Lewis Aleman is this person I just described ... A pathetic excuse for an author. Is that mean for me to say. No it's not, because he wasted my time and my money when he wrote this horrible book. I'm guessing he must have listened to all of his friends and family tell him how amazing he is. Obviously these friends and family members have never been to a library before. I doubt they could even spell the word BOOK.

Now about this book ... This seriously feels like something I would have written at age 13 or 14 for others at that same age. But sadly even a teenager would view this worthless book as contrived and full of sentences that make you realize that a hamster could have written them with more style and grace. In fact I'll make up a sentence right now that would fit perfectly into this book and into Lewis Aleman's vocabulary. "The nacho chip of distinction had poised its superficial bounty of retention on the lexicon of verbosity to expose the seemingly crisp autumnal equinox of life's destruction." See Lewis, I can do it too. I can write like you by stringing words together from a dictionary that don't belong together.

Faces in Time is a creepy worthless story. The story of a slimy stalker who bases his whole life on a movie star who we are to believe would not see this creep for what he is. Lewis also asks us to believe that this stalker somehow figured out how to travel in time without telling us anything about how this is accomplished. Here's an idea Lewis, are you so dumb that you don't realize that your readers who buy time travel books want to know some science behind the actual time traveling itself? Back to the Future showed us the Flux Capacitor in the DeLorean. You showed us nothing but a sleazy stalker who supposedly is a scientific genius who would use the idea of being the first time traveler to save a self absorbed movie star from selling her face to the highest bidder. Yes you heard me, Lewis introduces an idea that the stalker's primary target sells her face.

Amazing isn't it. He gives us this wonderful idea (sarcasm) of a movie star who is past her prime who exchanges her face with another woman in the present day. God that's an awful idea, one of many in this book by the way. She sells it to the highest bidder? Wow, she seems like someone you'd really want to risk your life for so you can take her home to meet mom and dad, doesn't she? Face swapping ... That is the single dumbest idea I have ever seen in a book. Not only is it dumb but it makes her about as redeemable as the protagonist of this book. She's a worthless money grubber and he's a stalker. Hey! Wait a second! They are perfect for each other.

Lewis Aleman may have a book or two in circulation. But he's not worthy of the title AUTHOR. I spent 99 cents on this book and to be honest, knowing what I know now about it ... You couldn't have paid me $100 to read this waste of time and waste of paper. As I said in the beginning and I mean this. THIS IS THE WORST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ AND I CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT GOT PUBLISHED. BAD IDEA, BAD WRITING, BAD AUTHOR, BAD PROTAGONIST ... IT'S SIMPLY JUST BAD ALL THE WAY AROUND.

2.0 out of 5 stars Engaging plot, less engaging writing, March 15, 2010
Elimatta (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faces in Time: A Time Travel Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I like the idea of time travel stories - for which I thank David Tennant and Dr Who - but unlike other reviewers, I found the prose distracting. The metaphors, similes and images felt forced. This felt like an unsuccessful attempt to turn a thriller into literature.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs editing and an injection of Soul!, August 6, 2010
Malainie "Writer and Reader" (New Mexico, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faces in Time: A Time Travel Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to like this book. I kept trying to decide whether or not to buy it and finally did. Description is good to give you a feel for the place and the people...but not in such excruciating detail! Needs to be edited. I finally just skipped over all the agonizing minutae. I, also, never really cared much for the two-dimensional characters who lacked anything that would make me care about them. I gave it two stars for a new concept about time travel...even if it, also, included too much unnecessary detail. My advice to the author is to focus on making his characters believable and to drop most of the descriptions of the surroundings. After all, as humans, we only notice half of what's there anyway! ;)

1.0 out of 5 stars badly written, April 10, 2010
Henry Bemis (The Twighlight Zone) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faces in Time: A Time Travel Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I love time travel stories. I also appreciate well written books. My love for time travel could not overcome the terrible writing. Save the 99 cents and read the preview. If you get through the preview then maybe this book will be ok for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing idea but unreadable..., October 4, 2010
This review is from: Faces in Time: A Time Travel Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to give this a shot after seeing all the good reviews, so I downloaded the sample chapters for my Kindle. Though I could see that there were ideas here that might be interesting, I found the sentences so ungrammatical and the style so heavy-handed and stilted that the book became unreadable. I don't think I'm a literary snob - I've read everything by Dan Brown and his simple and trashy style would have been a great match for this book. And anyway - you don't need to take my word for it: If the great reviews still tempt you, just download the sample chapters and read them before you decide.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is horrible, August 27, 2010
Amazon Customer (Sierra foothills, Northern California) - See all my reviews
Like others, I bought this book based on some of the good reviews. I should have taken the bad reviews more seriously because they are right on. I knew I may have a problem with this book when I read this on the first page: "The television is a flickering tormentor, basting him in a painful glow like a live bird in an oven." Huh? This is but one of many examples of the bad writing. Also, the explanation of how time travel could be possible given all the paradoxes it would create is extremely weak and contrived. I made it to about page 90 and gave up. I only give it one star because zero is not an option.

5.0 out of 5 stars A second gem from Lewis Aleman, February 2, 2010
McG "McG" (Flemington, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This second book from Lewis Aleman -- following up on his very original revenge and redemption tale "Cold Streak" -- shares little in common with Mr. Aleman's first book, except for the quality of the writing, the author's ability to write fully imagined characters that you will care deeply about, and Aleman's deft ability to move the plot in directions you could never anticipate. Rather than summarize the plot for you, this review simply notes that this story moves briskly; features numerous well-crafted characters; has equal helpings of humor, suspense and romance; and ties its story lines together brilliantly. If you enjoy a well-told story in which you cannot effortlessly predict the contents of the upcoming chapter, "Faces in Time" will be a treat for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Offal., December 29, 2010
Joseph A. Ottoson (Lafayette, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faces in Time: A Time Travel Thriller (Kindle Edition)
If you want to read a book positively throbbing purple prose in every single paragraph, this is the novel for you. Even if you can manage to strip away the overly verbose nattering, you're left with a story full of leaps in logic that make absolutely no sense if you think about any of the elements.

Why does a time machine magically conjure up cars and purple shirts? Eh. It just does! (That'd be fine I guess if Aleman didn't snidely dismiss the concept of causality as "magic" in the same breath.) Why would setting a fire in a school bathroom change who organized a play? Oh well. Why would your past self naturally decide to stalk and kill you if he happened to see you on the sidewalk? No idea, but it happens. Face selling? Sure. Why not?

This book is terrible. It's badly written, it's disjointed, and there's no logical train of thought at all contained within.

1.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you read the 1-star reviews first - not a 5-star read!, January 29, 2011
Al (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
I bought this based upon the glowing reviews, and after getting about a third of the way into this book (I gave it a fair try), the only conclusion I can reach is that the five-star reviews are fake. I was so disturbed by what appears to be some sort of concerted effort to defraud Kindlers into believing that this is a good book that I was compelled, for the first time ever, to post a book review in order to warn other unsuspecting readers. Read the 1-star reviews - they are spot-on - and ignore the 5 star reviews and then decide if this is something you really want to purchase.

There's nothing new here as far as time travel concepts, and the writing is amateurish at best. It felt like something you'd hear at a writer's workshop before it's gone through any editing, by an author who's living in his mother's basement and has no experience actually interacting with real people. There might have been a decent book in here somewhere, but it was so poorly written and not thought out that I simply had to give up. This book makes Michael Chrichton's Timeline look like a masterpiece, and that's really saying something. I also found the main character extremely unlikable and downright creepy - he's basically a stalker, and gives off such an incredibly pathetic, desperate vibe that most of the time I was actually rooting for him not to succeed. And don't be fooled into thinking this makes the character interesting in a, say, Tom Ripley kind of way - he's not. Save your $1 and go buy a used (real) book at a bookstore, you could do a lot better than this.