5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this book blew me away!
I stayed up far into the night reading this one.
Published on April 12, 2004 by mahikahn

3.0 out of 5 stars can't help but gobble up this book
Great romance. Suspense till the end. Characters & story pulled me in & hooked me till the end. Strong characters & different strong, emotional storyline kept me & my heart longing for more. The only downfall was the very very detailed sex scenes. Am not a fan of characters bedroom habits in such detailed fashion. Only reason I can't give this the highest rating...
Published 7 months ago by Mom21502

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this book blew me away!, April 12, 2004
mahikahn (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
I stayed up far into the night reading this one.
Nikki Taylor is held captive and tortured for over a year after being left for dead by her own government. When she is rescued by another agency she is little more than an animal and doesn't remember much of her past. They rehabilitate and retrain her but for ten years she has been searching for her true identity. Nikki is told one last job will provide the answers she seeks.
Rick Harden is under suspicion when his CIA boss is arrested for treason. When Nikki shows up he knows she is using her resemblance to his late wife to investigate him.
Rick's devotion and deep love for his late wife is total and he's been going through the motions since her death. Leah was his heart and soul.
Nikki's trying desperately to deal with the horror of her past while hoping to find a future. The emotional struggle of these two is heartbreaking. Their struggle to come together despite all odds is heartwarming.
This is the first book I've read by Ms. Low but I've now ordered the first in the series and pre-ordered the third. What a wonderful new writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOWEEE This book is burning, February 28, 2004
Facing Fear is the second book from a rising star Gennita Low. If you haven't read any of her books yet go and read one now. In FACING FEAR it is a darker, more intense, sexier than any book I have read recently. The hero is Rick Harden (from the first book INTO DANGER) is a beaurcat with a stick up his you know where after he had been burned badly in the past and vows that he will do everything by the books. Heroine Nikki Taylor is our heroine who is trying to face her fears of the horrors from a mission gone wrong. Rick and Nikki are two tormented people who needs each other to face their fears and get on with their future. What I love so much about this book is that there isn't any whiny hero or heroine. These two characters are extremely well matched. If you expect to see the usual I hate you/I love you characters you won't find it here. The sex will set the sheets smokin'. Nikki a GEM gal is of course worthy of the hero. Rick is very much an alpha male but he does not just redeem himself at the end of the book the way most heros do, instead he will redeem himself as the book progesses. Nikki is fragile but suprisingly strong and never acts the victim or a wimp. People who read Suzanne Brockmann will love this book, bbbuuuuttt in my humble opinion I think that Gennita Low is even better. Why do I say this considering that Suzanne Brockmann (whom I enjoy a lot too) is the queen of the men in uniforms also known as the tall,dark, and dangerous genre? Unlike a Brockmann book where I wish sometimes for more love scenes, more action, more romance, more this or that, I find that Gennita Low is able to maintain a balance on all the things I want. Nothing is sacrificed and that is incredibly hard for an author to do, and this is only her second book!! The first book INTO DANGER was more lighthearted and playful. FACING FEAR is even hotter than the first book, but it is much much darker. It deals more with the psychology of the human psyche. There is a surprising twist at the end and it will be revealed in one of the most touching scene. This book is just excellent. I can't stand waiting another year for Gennita Low's next book to be out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrill a minute read, March 9, 2004
Judy "book reader" (Cincinnati, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Facing Fear is the follow up book to Into Danger by new author Gennita Low.
Nikki Taylor is a woman of mystery. Her past has been erased when she was tortured on a mission over ten years ago. She was saved and retrained by another agency. Nikki remembers bits and pieces of her former life but its just not enough. She comes out of retirement for one last job with the promise to receive answers about her past.
Rick Harden, Operations Chief for the CIA, is under suspicion when his boss is arrested for treason. Rick has been dwelling in the dark side of life since his wife died several years ago. He has never gotten over her death and is no longer the man he once was.
Nikki's newest assignment is to investigate Rick's team. Their first face-to-face meeting is explosive, filled with passion and intrigue. As they work together to unravel the current problems, the past of each of them starts to play an important part and is threatening their lives.
Facing Fear is a fast paced book of suspense and fervor. Nikki and Rick are a couple that have to overcome a lot to have a future.
Gennita Low is an auto-buy for me. I am looking forward to the next book in this wonderful series.

5.0 out of 5 stars You�ll never look at your car seatbelt the same again!, February 29, 2004
I stand in awe of Gennita Low's talent to weave this tale and take me on such a fast pace complex journey. Facing Fear is a contemporary romantic suspense book that could be considered a sequel to her first book Into Danger, although it certainly can stand on its own. Not for the faint of heart nor is it a book for those who aren't willing to explore the psyche. This book is an incredibly edgy and darkly sensual love story. It is a fascinating dichotomy, complicated and tantalizing. The pace is generally fast but it is a labyrinth of dark delights and introspection, at times much like a lasciviously performed dance, a slow strip tease of the senses. She has the talent to slow down the pace when it is needed in order to fully explore and experience the depths and fullness of her characters without causing the story to lag.
Normally when I get a new book I inhale it in a nonstop read, then I go back and reread it. Many times reading a romantic suspense book is similar to a fast food meal for me. It is satisfying, filling and I enjoy it while I am consuming it but I don't think too deeply about what I am actually eating and I don't spend a lot of time at the table. This book is like a multiple course gourmet meal served in a four star restaurant with a darkly sensual ambience. You'll savor and ponder each course and its presentation while still eagerly awaiting the unveiling of the next dish. There is a very thoughtful chess game being played out on many levels throughout the book. The hero and heroine are full and complex, introspective and not always comfortably so; both are "darkly tortured" characters. They are strong yet incomplete without the other in a fundamental way. Rick Harden is an extremely sexual alpha male. At times he will make the reader uncomfortable but at the same time he makes you want to capitulate and explore his dark appetites. Nikki Taylor is a fascinating woman whom only another woman would have the insight to balance and draw in a manner that works. This book illustrates beautifully why Gennita Low is a rising star in the Romantic Suspense genre. I can't wait for all the other characters she has created to have their own stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars engaging espionage romance, February 29, 2004
As the Chief of Operations for the CIA Tiara Task Force Two, Ricardo Harden knows that Internal Investigations (Eyes) will look closely at his activities since arresting his superior Gorman for treason. Though he is innocent, he realizes he will be the fall guy and probably deserves to be so as he ignored signs of sedition so he could be the safe bureaucrat.
Nikki Taylor is assigned to investigate Rick, but not for "Eyes". Admiral Madison wants to know if Rick would make a good chief of Tiara. Nick is stunned because Nikki looks like his wife who vanished during an operation ten years ago. As they make love and fall in love, he hides a secret about his wife that ended his career that he will never reveal while she has even more clandestine confidential information about who she really is.
FACING FEAR is an engaging espionage romance that emphasizes the internal politics of protecting your butt when scandal happens. The Agency looks bad as it prefers to ignore a potential monstrous flaw in its process in order to find a scapegoat so that the higher ups in government remain untainted (perhaps that is why the real life leak of the agent's name last Spring still remains unresolved in spite of the President's public desires). The story line contains major twists that will shock readers yet seems apropos because the lead couple make it believable. Fans of terse internal affairs CIA tales with a strong romantic underpinning will enjoy soaring with Gennita Low's fine taut thriller.
Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, February 29, 2004
Sarah "HappyDays" (Saugerties, Ny USA) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Ms. Low is able to pull her readers into her stories and make them emotionally involved. Her first book Into Danger was spectacular and this one was no disappointment. Her characters are so realistic and her plots are exetremely developed. She is able to combine a love story and a spy mystery into one book without losing the readers interest. Ms. Low is a break through author. However, she has capture me as an avid reader and fan for the rest of her writing career! Her characters are hot and her love scenes are hotter. She is on a level parallel to Linda Howard and Christine Feehan! I can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read! Intriguing characters and steamy..., March 5, 2004
This is the second book by this author and I have to say, I loved this book. Her (Gennita Low) first book was a keeper also. There was a twist in the middle of the book that I did not see coming. I won't spoil it here. Rick Harden has had a hard time of it to say the least. He lost his wife (Operative/Spy) ten years ago in an assignment and has been trying to come to terms with it since then. Rick is a great hero. Not all good. Some nice edges. Rick has been trying to piece together the details of his wife's capture and death for years. In the meantime, his boss has been selling out his country and though he is behind bars, he is creating havoc for those who knew him. Enter ex-operative Nikki. Resembles Rick's ex-wife...working for an Admiral to try and find out what Rick really know about his boss's deception. There are twists and turns and a hauntingly beautiful love story. I highly recommend this book. By the way, thanks Ms. Low for finally giving us an Asian heroine and a genuine two-dimensional hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Spy who loved her!, May 23, 2006
I just finished Gennita Low's entire series. If you love international espionage, edge of your seat action, and love scenes that will fog your glasses, then this series for you. I will say if I had to pick a favorite, this one was it. She weaves a tale of lost & found love against a backdrop of Washington DC. Her characters are strong, witty, and can kick [...]if need be.
You also need to visit her website [...] where she gives you background on the characters & missions, as well as some really NICE photos of her Navy SEALS.
I love to read serial novels. I enjoy the character and relational development that cannot be perfected in the frame of one novel. I am looking forward to the next one. Don't keep us hanging too long Gennita.
Also recommended Cindy Gerard's "Bodyguard" series, Carla Neggers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Keeper By Ms. Low!!, April 8, 2004
Ms. Low is fast becoming one of my favorite suspense romance authors!!! Her fast paced, steamy romance, and page turning suspense are not your typical suspense type read. Ms. Low combines, spy action, spy suspense, and yummy hero's in such a way you will be hard pressed to put the book down until you've reach the final page! I can only say that I am waiting not so patiently for her next read!
In "Facing Fear" Nikki our heroine is working toward finding her past. All she knows was that she was a government agent that was left behind during a mission gone bad. She has very little memory of who she was and as a result, has made a deal to do one more mission with the end result being she finds out who she really is. This seems like an easy task but there are many challenges, and fears that she must face. One is CIA Operations Chief Rick Harden. She has a connection to him but how?
Rick is under a microscope yet again. His boss has just been captured selling government secrets, an undercover SEAL agent has been responsible for finding the mole in the TIARA office. Rick is saavy enough to realize that he will also be considered a possible leak. Now not only does he have to decide if he wants to do anything to salvage what's left of his career, he now finds himself drawn to Nikki the one person he knows it out to get him...but how? Nikki strongly reminds him of his dead wife and she has touched him in such a way that he begins to feel protective of her. This could only mean more trouble.
This was as I stated earlier a very fast-paced read. There are so many twists and turns that you have no real idea who the traitor is until the end. Rick is beyond your typical tall, dark, and yummy hero and is a real treat for readers as a result. The chemistry between Rick and Nikki is explosive and hot! If you love edge of your seat reading do yourself a favor and pick up Ms. Low!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, September 21, 2005
This book was excellent but have to admit I read these books out of sequence.Into Danger should have led into Facing fear but I ended up reading the last one next which was the Hunter.It should have been The Protecter. I still like her leading into the next book at the end of each book and have enjoyed all of them although I managed to mix them up.She manages to bring the main characters together very nicely at the end of each story,with you wanting to know what happens to some of the secondary characters. I hope we find out what happens to Cam and Patty and Also will Alex ever capture T. as she has avoided him in almost every book ,Wonder too, if Jed will ever meet his match. Hopefully a lady will come along and knock his socks off as he is so full of himself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›