5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality...like new condition...sold on staples!
Published on May 1, 2009 by Tim in Mint Hill

This is my first "very disappointed" experience with Amazon. This stapler can't be used. I'm sure Amazon will make it good, but it's a waste of time. My recommendation is avoid buying "factory-reconditioned, like-new" if your schedule is tight.

Published on May 27, 2011 by Colorado Consumer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality...like new condition...sold on staples!, May 1, 2009
Tim in Mint Hill (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned BOSTITCH U/MIIIFS 1-1/2-inch to 2-inch Pneumatic Flooring Stapler (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have to start by saying...if a product is available reconditioned, I'm all for it. I'm an avid buyer of anything from CPO sites, when product available. The Bostitch MIIIFS flooring stapler was unbelievable and I kick myself for not buying one for an earlier flooring project. As a DIYer, I've put in almost a thousand sq ft of brazilian cherry, using a manual nailer...uggh. I wasn't going to do that again when doing some pine in the upstairs. Ok, pine is MUCH softer than cherry, but, having to swing into a piece of pine also has a much higher chance of damaging the edges, so I wanted something that would drive the fastener (staples in this case) without alot of hammer swing.
I thought to myself...well, probably won't hold as well using staples as the barbed nails on my manual nailer...wrong. If anything, the staples hold much better. I had a couple pieces of the pine during this last project that required pulling up a piece I had stapled...it destroyed the edge (tore out) but left the staples in place. I suspect the staples may be cement (or similarly) coated to help adhesion. I'm sold on staples and this has consistently been the tool of choice by pros among the forums.
You won't be disappointed with this item...and when you are done with it...they hold value well and sell quite easily on various selling lists and online auctions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid stapler - Some Bonus Tips Also, September 7, 2009
I bought this stapler to install multiple rooms of BR111 7/16" Santos Mahogany flooring. I was skeptical after receiving it whether it would work with the 7/16" flooring, but figuring it was the industry standard in flooring staplers, I went ahead and gave it a try.

It did not come with an compressor attachment fitting - the fitting was 3/8" NPT, not 1/4" like my compressor. I went to Lowe's and purchased a 3/8 to 1/4" reducing fitting, then added a swivel 1/4" NPT male connection. This really helped and for $3 I solved the vexing problem of the twisted air hose.

My flooring has very thin tongues on it and is susceptible to splitting. When I fired up the compressor I started at 80 PSI and this split nearly every tongue. With some test pieces, I found the 70 PSI on my compressor seemed to be the right setting. I still had some split tongues, but any less and it did not drive the staple deep enough.

I bought a box of 5,000 staples from Fasteners USA - they advertised no shipping cost, and the box of 5,000 was only $30. The box of 1,000 nails from Amazon.com was $16. Because the shipped from Modesto, CA, just east of the SF Bay area where I live, they arrived in 2 days. I have several more rooms to go, so it was a good buy. [...]

When I got started all seemed well until I had my first partially driven staple. It likely hit a screw that is holding down the subfloor. As expected, these are a beast to pull out - it's good to know that. These can be pulled out with the right type of tool Channellock 35-250 10-Inch Concretor Nipper, but you risk scratching the floor or breaking off the tongues. I learned this the hard way. Even when I had to remove a defective board, it was tough to pull out the whole staple without cutting it off using the nippers. The best solution: use a Dremel tool with an abrasive cutoff wheel. It can get right down next to the tongue, and even cut under the tongue if needed. This worked wonders cutting the staple off flush with the tongue, leaving the tongue and the board undamaged. You can then put a new staple in to the side of the original, and the next groove fits over the tongue perfectly. Until I discovered this, each time I hit a screw, it was a 10-20 min delay to cut if off to an acceptable height where it did not interfere with the next row of floor. This really sucked time. I would highly advocate you have a Dremel or other similar tool if you use this stapler - you will save yourself so much time.

Flooring installation is just board by board. There is no magic here - it's hard work and takes time. I doubled my installation progress the 2nd day, and it got easier after that.

Back to the stapler - it is a solid device and works very well. No hint of it being refurbished, except for the Bostitch emblem that came off - it was held on by double sided tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Factory Reconditioned Bostitch Floor Stapler, June 16, 2009
After looking at local hardware stores for a new hardwood floor stapler, we found this one on Amazon for hundreds of dollars less than the new ones; even cheaper quality new ones were way more expensive than this reconditioned Bostitch was. We received the stapler within 2 days of ordering and have used it to install the hardwood floors in our home. The stapler looked like brand new when we received it. We have installed 1,000' of maple flooring thus far, and the stapler performed perfectly. It never jammed, it never misfired. It was a great tool and made installing the floors a breeze. It's still a lot of work, as you have to pound the stapler with the hammer each time to fire it, but it's much easier than doing it manually. The floors look beautiful. We still have another 1,000' of floor to install on the second floor, but we're confident the stapler will continue to perform as it did for the first part.

1.0 out of 5 stars Factory-reconditioned? More like used right up until shipped to me., May 27, 2011

Here's the details. I received the box just minutes ago (day late but due to bad weather). It was well-packaged with no visible exterior package damage, but inside I was pretty shocked. The hammer looked liked-like new, but the stapler itself was a mess. Literally, there was saw dust all over the areas underneath like where the staples exit. Not just a trace but days or weeks worth of saw dust coating. Clearly it was never cleaned or was being used. Honestly, it looked like someone used it right up until they boxed it--like a demo unit or something. It had a gouge/nick in the metal foot that no doubt would scratch flooring just in handling the unit. Sure it could be filed smooth but.... But here's the real problem. On the one-piece metal-cast handle toward the bottom where it's flat and gets bolted to the stapler itself, there is a big crack. Good grief. How could anyone not see this??? Factory-recon like-new and inspected? Not a chance. This looks like it was used and abused right up to the day it was shipped to me. Waste of time hence the disappointment. Anyone in QC should have caught this and never let it be resold. A cracked handle is not only useless, it could be dangerous. The handle comes packaged separately from the stapler for shipping, so there's no way it got crushed in shipping.

Amazon does disclose:

"Note: This is a reconditioned power tool, meaning that the tool has been returned to the manufacturer for restoration to "like-new condition." Some reconditioned tools may have cosmetic blemishes."

It's not reconditioned, period. Saw dust all over it is not like-new nor is a cracked handle a cosmetic blem. Anyway, if you're patient I'm sure you'll be made whole but what an inconvenience. Otherwise, you might want to temper your expectations after my experience. Again, this is my first negative experience ever with Amazon but also my first time purchasing from company Tool King (seller).

UPDATE: Had a nice live chat session with Amazon rep. Leave it to Amazon customer service to make things right. I ended up buying new (paying $100+ more) but directly from Amazon.com vs. rolling dice with another recon replacement from Tool King. Can't risk another dud after this experience. Win some lose others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Floor Stapler, May 3, 2009
A Kid's Review
A great unit for the money. Looks brand new and works great. Paid for itself verses paying daily rental fees every week end. Buy it.... you will love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars There is no zero star., December 10, 2009
D. Wu (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Pros:
1. Amazon shipped it fast.
2. It is a stapler.

Cons:
1. This is not a RECONDITIONED. It is a terribly used, uncleaned, stained, malfunctional unit with missed accessories.
2. I bought tons of stuff from Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist and other place. When something that is stated as refurbished or reconditioned, it is in reasonable condition. I don't expect them to be brand new, although most decent manufacturers repair and clean the item to almost brand new. Bostitch doesn't. If I put what I received on Craiglist today, I would say "six out of 10", in terms of condition; or something like "extensively used, but might still in working order".
3. Any piece of paper in my trash box is in a better condition that the document that came with the item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy, April 1, 2010
The base comes loose from the main frame and I suspect that's why it's a Re-con. They should have done a better re-con or not at all!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks brand new to me, August 20, 2009
Just recieved my hardwood flooring stapler it arrived in less than 72 hours after i ordered it. I am glad that I did not buy the brand new one at Home Depot. Saved myself over $200 and this one looks brand new and works perfect. I also noticed that it is warranted just as if I bought one off the shelf. I will continue to buy from CPO Bostitch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 2, 2009
Product came in excellent condition. You couldn't tell it was a refurb. As for the quality, it does exactly what it's suppose to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars bostich flooring stapler, December 28, 2008
wonderful, my husband was able to get the job done easier with this floor stapler. great price. would recommend.

Rate and Discover Movies