5.0 out of 5 stars my coffeemaker works fine - why all the fuss?
Published on April 27, 2007 by WebShopper

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Does not include Coffee Filter Basket!
Foremost: Beware! DGB-500BKFR Doesn't include the filter, which is a huge disappointment. The "reconditioner" packed 4 paper filters in lieu of the "Gold Tone Filter Basket." Basket costs extra!
Second: It's loud! You must be careful with your neighbors, children, small animals, and your spouse!
Third: Coffee comes out delish...
Fourth: Clean up is...
Published on September 6, 2008 by M. Cote

5.0 out of 5 stars my coffeemaker works fine - why all the fuss?, April 27, 2007
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Cuisinart DGB-500BKFR Grind & Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Black (Kitchen)
I was concerned about the other review, but the rest of my kitchen appliances are from Cuisinart (and I wanted the stuff on my counter to match) - so I gave it a try. I read through the directions to make sure I was putting the beans in the right way and fired it up (thinking that a test pot while I was watching it would be a good idea). It worked like a charm - made great coffee and no spillage/mess

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., May 14, 2008
K. White (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I have had this coffeemaker for a few weeks now, and can't really complain. The cleanup is not that bad, as I was used to rinsing the coffeemaker parts of my last one out. You would have to be pretty lazy or really extremely pushed for time for this to bother you...but if you don't like cleaning all that, then why would someone buy a grinder version anyways?? You can also make coffee in this using already ground coffee, and then it is like any other coffee maker.
I do like that it makes good HOT coffee when making a large pot, and keeps it hot for awhile. I like the auto shut off feature, because I had a bad habit before of not turning off the warmer on my last one.
I have never owned a 12 cup unit, so this is also a nice feature for when there are guests over.
Swiped this one for a steal from this site the day before it went back up to $70 (which is still a good price for this unit). Overall, my husband and I are very pleased with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for your reviews, August 4, 2007
Thanks to all of the reviews, positive and negative, I have had a wonderful experience with this coffeemaker. I used Natural Brew 8-12 cup paper filters, and there was no problem with the grounds going anywhere, the sides are stiff enough to stay in place. I needed to use heaping scoops of beans to have the perfect flavor. I use the carafe to fill the water, no problems. I program it to start grinding when my alarm goes off, and don't mind the sound at all. I have used it with beans and ground coffee, both were excellent. I do wish I could clean it prior to having to turn off the warmer, but that is minor. I am absolutely 100%pleased with this machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Does not include Coffee Filter Basket!, September 6, 2008
Third: Coffee comes out delish...
Fourth: Clean up is PAININBUTT!
For $50 bones, you get what you pay for - a cheap grind n' brew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy brand new?, July 8, 2007
Bought a brand new one a few years ago. Paid $100. When it finally died, I replaced it with this refurbished one at a third of the price. Such a deal!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffeemaker, July 3, 2007
We have this coffeemaker and have had it for a year or more. We use it several times a day. It makes great coffee. We use Starbucks French Roast and the coffee is _very_ strong, the way we like it.

You will have problems if you use too much coffee. Don't use more than 1 level scoop of beans for each 2 cups. Be sure to rinse out and dry the bean container before adding more beans. Also make sure that the filter is properly set, with the paper filter around the edges of the filter container, not flaring away from it.

It is a great coffeemaker if you follow the above guidelines. I'm going to buy another, at this great price, so I'll have a spare to use in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart, convenient coffee maker, June 7, 2008
As home coffee makers go, this one is pretty slick. The interface is dead-easy and the output is pretty tasty. On top of that, the time-delay automatic grind & brew feature is a dream.

A minor quibble: the grinder is kind of noisy at first -- like holding a DustBuster directly to your ear -- but it quiets down quickly and the grind time is pretty short.

Overall, it's been a welcome addition to my kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far, so good..., June 5, 2008
have had this a couple of weeks now. No issues, works fine. I would prefer the grinder grind a bit more fine for deeper flavor, but for the price ($35) you can't beat it. I was a Cuisinart sales rep when the first Grind and Brews came out... this one is SO MUCH BETTER... and quieter. Yes, cleaning it up each time can be a pain, but it works great in the top rack of the dishwasher. Time will tell if this purchase is as good a value as I hope it will be.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this coffee maker!, November 7, 2008
This is the best coffee maker I have ever owned. It works great, I don't mind cleaning out the grinder every day, it's worthwhile ritual. My only complaint is that, if you like strong coffee, you can only make 1/2 a pot at a time. The grinder doesn't hold enough beans for a full pot of high octane fuel. I never drink a whole pot anyway, so that's not a big deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only adequate with a few flaws, September 30, 2008
This product has a number of problems. The grinder is very small for a 12-cup coffee maker, and can only hold enough for about 8 cups of strong coffee. If you like strong coffee and need to make more than 8 cups at a time, buy another machine. Also, the filter basket sometimes flies open during the grinding process, spewing coffee grounds all over the kitchen. That was dramatic! Still, I'm keeping it because it makes a good cup of coffee, and I don't have time, energy, or money to replace it.

Rate and Discover Movies