5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Paint Sprayer
Published on March 9, 2012 by Josh P.M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level sprayer, cheap parts
Published on November 26, 2012 by gennygen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Paint Sprayer, March 9, 2012
Josh P.M. (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Graco HV2900 39 CFM HVLP Paint Spray Station
I recently purchased a factory reconditioned Graco 2900 and could not be more impressed with its operation. The sprayer itself was very easy to use and I was amazed with how fast I was able to paint my garage door! Painting were giving me $150 estimates to paint the door so my sprayer paid for itself after its first use. It actually made painting fun. I told my wife after using it for my most recent project that I can't wait to use it again on all of our baseboards and door casings around the house. I highly recommend this sprayer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this purchase, February 20, 2013
Length:: 0:48 Mins

I don't usually buy lower level products (One of the cheaper models), and especially reconditioned items. But, I have to say I was very happy with this purchase. I was looking at paint sprayers in the $300 range, but at the last minute gave this unit a try for $50. The packaged arrived with a pump that looked like it had been used one time (that was fine, because it stated it was reconditioned), it had a little paint on the black hose. The sprayer was new and still in the plastic bag. I bought the unit to paint a lot of old dark kitchen cabinets white. I used a pretty thick specialty cabinet paint with no thinning. It only took a couple of minute to adjust the setting were I was not getting on splatters. I used 3/4 of gallon of paint with no issues, very little over spray, good control, it even did a pretty good job of spraying the tops and bottom at steep angles. This was my main concern with a cheaper unit. Two coats and the cabinets look like new. I would give it 4.5 stars, especially for the price.

Update (3/8/13) - Still very happy with the sprayer. I have used it 5 or 6 different times to spray cabinets. I would not want to use it to spray a house, but very good for medium size projects. One warning note - I had a lot of trouble getting it to work th second time I used the sprayer. There is pin size hole in the dime size hole by the paint intake tub under the spray gun. This area must be clear or with will not sprayer. I spent 3 hours training to get it to work, you have to use a small wire or even a sharp pencil to clear the pencil size hole so it will work. I would give it 5 stars for the money -

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, March 6, 2012
I could not recommend this product any higher! I actually own the model one step up from this one and I picked it up at Lowes because I needed in the same day but this one is almost identical. I decided to purchase a full kit like this with a turbine motor after a series of high cost, high frustration ventures into the world of air compressor/HVLP compressor style guns. The trick of matching up one of those guns with a compressor that can handle it while keeping on a budget is, in short, a nightmare. So, I made the leap into this combo expecting a working solution that would not give me as many options as the more intricate compressor set ups. I was wrong in nearly every way. As far as I can see for someone looking for a spray gun solution for anything less than auto paint or an entire house this is the only way to go. The turbine system on this gun is slightly less noisy than the chugging away of an air compressor although it is constant rather than intermittent. But the quality of the atomization it provides for a quarter the cost is well worth a little noise and you can always use some ear protection. The included DVD and instruction manual is more than sufficient to walk you throughout the idiot proof set up, use and clean up of the gun. And even with latex paint you don't need to thin the material a ton for this gun to work. I will say that if you think going HVLP will remove the need to cover everything in the area you're going to paint in you are kidding yourself. While I did notice a fairly dramatic decrease in the amount of blowback and overspray vs a traditional gun there simply is not a way to keep paint from floating unto your furniture and floors when you're spraying it. FInally this set up is great for someone just getting into the world of spray guns; the nozzle adjuster is very straightforward and conveniently located and all the other adjustments and settings are fairly automatic. Buy this system and you'll be painting like a pro within 15 minutes of opening the box and you'll be the happiest painter on your block too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sprayer for a great price, May 28, 2012
I have to say this thing really gets the job done and it takes so little effort and time that I actually don't shy away from painting anymore. I love to make primitive looking furniture which normally means 2 sometimes 3 different color coats of paint. It can get messy and time consuming with brushes. With the paint sprayer when I'm done with the first coat of paint I just pour my remainder paint back in the can (a cost saving feature I really like) do a quick spray rinse and pour in my next color for prep (which I am always done before the first coat dries anyways). Projects that normally take pretty much half the day now take less than two hours. The paint sprays very evenly and quickly too. The overspray is a little much so you do need to be sure to cover well and the air hose does occasionally pop out but these are simple quick things to fix and nothing to get in a huff about(note that when the hose pops off it doesnt spray paint on you its just for air only). You will also have to water down your paint but I actually like this because it just makes the paint go a little further saving money in the end. If you are going to do a large project like painting the house I recommend that you purchase the the larger paint container as the one that comes with it is small and suitable for smaller projects. All in all a great product for the price!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the air pressure hole, March 23, 2013
I bought this after reading Handyman Mag. reviews. And I love it. I only gave it 4 stars incase someone for Graco is reading these. First is that there should be some mechanical way to secure the air hose to the spraygun. Now it's only held by friction and because the hose has a lot of resistance it fell out quite often on me.

Read this before using.
Second is that there is a hole way up through the paint cup (next to the paint intake tube) I think it's used as air intake to pressurize the the paint cup. If it gets plugged your not going to get any paint. There is no mention of this in the manual. It's difficult to properly clean. Luckily someone else's review pointed this out (a million thanks to that guy) or I would have sent this great product back.

P.S. for superfine finish be sure to water down whatever you're using to a viscosity below 2 minutes

5.0 out of 5 stars More than meets the eye, April 13, 2013
***UPDATE*** [1/7/14] - As expected, the cheaply made plastic gun has finally broken despite my best efforts to keep it clean. After too many uses the gaskets which hold fluid around the fluid nozzle appear to have swollen, locking the needle in place. I can unscrew it, but I cannot remove it unless I use a pair of pliers (bad idea with spray needles). The turbine, however, has stood up to quite a good amount of use.

***UPDATE*** [4/28/13] - Used this tool to spray two-component metallic polyurethane (e.g. automotive paint). Sprayed it out on a Q-panel and it left a mirror finish. There were specks of debris in the paint, but I was spraying outside with dust blowing using a machine that could have very well picked up some dust and deposited it into the finish (should have fashioned a better air filter). The paint was catalyzed and thinned, and viscosity was tested to be well within 120 seconds DIN as per the Graco HVLP manual. Using multiple light fog coats with the paint flow turned quite low and using 90 degree cross-hatching spray I was able to lay it down like a pro.

I am a member of management for a major paint retailer so I am very familiar with professional spray equipment. I had reservations purchasing this item, but because Graco is such an ubiquitous part of my sales I decided that $65 for the refurbished sprayer was reasonable given my excellent return history with Amazon and the cost of a professional HVLP turbine unit (>$700 at my store).

The single most important feature in spray equipment longevity is gun teardown and cleaning, and this gun design excels at cleanability. I have shot waterborne and silicone acrylic (carried in xylene, a harsher solvent than mineral spirits [aka paint thinner]) finishes and the gun was easy to clean for both. For waterborne, simply pour the unused paint back into the pail, fill the cup with water, and spray until clear. Follow the same process for oil-based finishes, but do it twice using the indicated clean-up solvent for the first pass and mineral spirits for the second. Second, tear the gun down completely into its components: gun body, cup, needle, air cap, pattern adjuster, suction tube, and retaining ring. Get a small brush (an airless gun brush works great) and brush all the dried paint off using the indicated solvent (be certain to brush inside the suction tube and where the tube connects to the gun body!). Use a rag to wipe off all the loosened paint and particles and leave all parts open to dry. Watch this tutorial ([...]) which is a member of Graco tech support teaching his sales reps to operate and clean the gun. I have sold many new gun parts to painters who ruined their old parts with dried paint or corrosion - clean equipment is happy equipment.

Spray out is simply superb. I used the included Ford viscosity cup to thin a medium viscosity paint to the indicated seconds (read the manual) and it sprayed out glassy and smooth. I decided to put the sprayer to the test and attempted to spray the same paint unthinned - the finish had some orange peel but it sprayed like a champ. I then loaded it with the thickest paint I sell (very thick, heavy, zero-VOC paint) and it ***sprayed that unthinned too***! If you need a super fine finish (lacquer, polyurethane, varnish, enamel) then thin as recommended and check your pattern for good atomization (see the pictures of patterns on this page: [...]). Since you cannot adjust the airflow, you need to adjust the amount of material delivered (gray dial on the gun); more material will spray faster but lead to poorer atomization. Find the trade-off between moving fast and getting a glassy finish with no orange peel. One final note, paint, especially old paint, will develop "trash" (chunk of dried paint/debris in the fluid). To remove this trash and avoid clogging the gun or getting trash in your finish, just strain the paint! Paint strainers range from 50 cents to $5 at paint stores, so there is no excuse to avoid straining.

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS SPRAYER TO PAINT YOUR ENTIRE WALL. I don't know why Graco thought it was a good idea to market this as a wall sprayer, but it will be entirely too slow compared to a roller and the paint film thickness will be so low that you will need three or more coats. In addition, all sprayers exhibit overspray (tiny particles of airborne paint that are moving too fast to stick to the surface and "bounce" off to land in unwanted places), and HVLP is no exception. However, ***using a shield or good masking/protection technique*** you can definitely use this sprayer as a cut-in tool. If you mask correctly, when you pull your tape you will have razor-sharp lines and you can just use a roller to paint over your cuts without touching adjacent walls/ceilings. There may some slight banding around the walls because sprayed and rolled finishes do look a bit different, but you could always backroll your sprayed cuts with a roller to give it the same stipple look that the wall finish has. ***If you don't understand a word I just said*** you could always do some research on YouTube and paint forums, or you could visit your favorite paint retailer and ask them what all those things mean (hint: you should know before you start painting!).

Finally, I don't have many comments regarding the turbine and hose. The hose is a good length and does not restrict airflow or movement too much. The turbine will heat the air going into the gun and that will cause your paint to dry faster (which, despite Graco's claims, is NOT a benefit - paint needs time to be wet so it can flow into pores in the substrate and grab on). You can always thin your paint with the appropriate solvent to extend wet (open) time or increase material flow with the dial on the gun to spray thicker coats (but be careful not to cause runs or sags!). As stated before, clean equipment is happy equipment; realize that you are operating a turbine that is sucking in air while you are spraying air laden with paint. Electrical internals and fans do not like to be covered in paint, so keep the turbine as far away from your spray as possible! Using the included foam filter will help - just make sure to clean it periodically of dust and debris and ensure that there are no obstructions to entering air flow.

In conclusion, the purpose of this HVLP setup in my opinion is speedy cut-in and finish-critical applications (e.g. cabinets, doors, trim, panels, etc.). Choose high-quality material, dial in the viscosity and material flow, be certain to mask and shield adequately, and just spray. It is so easy to setup and teardown that I *enjoy* using this machine, and I have an airless rig that frequently sits unused (also made by Graco). And the results are nothing short of excellent despite the fact that this is "just a homeowner model". Would I recommend this to a professional/contractor? Absolutely not - you would have the turbine burned out and the flimsy plastic gun broken in a month. However, the homeowner who is adeptly careful to keep the machine clean and gently used should get excellent results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for DIY HVLP small jobs, September 7, 2012
I own a couple of air compressors, several airless painters and HVLP compressor-fed spray tools. At best, I get mixed results and time-consuming cleanups. I usually have small, one-shot DIY jobs that are too big for expensive spray cans but not big enough to haul out the heavy-duty stuff. I also own but rarely use another manufacturer's HVLP sprayer (difficult to get acceptable results). A painter friend suggested I try this one (refurbished) as a low cost alternative.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The box arrived with a refurbished compressor and a new plastic gun. There were a few minor paint spots indicating previous use but it is, after all, refurbished. The key to the gun is the brass needle; the competition's needle is plastic - there is a difference. Most of the complaints about the product are due to insufficient cleaning following use. A few extra minutes to disassemble the gun and thoroughly clean it is the key to satisfaction. I know the video says you only have to run fresh water or solvent through it until it runs clear but you won't be happy the next time you use it if that's all you do.
The unit works great, does a wonderful job and is easy to clean up. I liked my purchase so much, I bought a second unit so that I don't have to carry it back and forth between my two DIY work sites.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level sprayer, cheap parts, November 26, 2012
Overall this is a great sprayer. Just as good reconditioned as the ones I've tried brand new. The reason why I'm only giving it 3 stars is because the cleaning, although very easy is not as easy as the video indicates. You really need to clean thouroughly to prevent clogs in places you can't see otherwise your spray area lessens and the air pressure is reduced. You can't just flush water through it, you need to take apart, soak, scrub, etc. The other reason is the fluid tip remover is poorly made. First, my sprayer didn't even come with one so VMInnovations had to resend. Because I wasn't able to remove at first the latex paint got caked in the bolt screw that hold the needle(even with flushing with water) and the needle was a little harder to remove thus breaking the remover. So I ordered one directly from Graco, that broke too.

So overall, great sprayer for a beginner; easy to use and saves alot time. As mentioned in the video using it becomes intuitive and you just have to ajdust and play with it as you go to prevent clogs - even with thinning more than necessary - and have consistent air pressure. Messing with it every ten seconds is fine at the factory reconditioned price, however I'm not sure that would be acceptable had I paid retail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graco HV2900 39 CFM HVLP; LOVE THIS PAINT STATION!, July 8, 2012
This Paint sprayer is fantastic. I found this item on Amazon, a Factory reconditioned model, and was skeptical at first, it just seemed too good to be true. I have completed my entire 750 square foot garage in just about 6 hrs, including breaks, dinner, reading to the kids at bedtime, etc. Not to mention I was using a masonry/stucco paint (much thicker latex). The only issue I encountered was the sprayer nozzle seemed to clog after some time, which probably had more to do with the type of product than the sprayer itself. I had to stop to clean it out using only a towel and small screw driver, 5 minutes at the most. Graco HV2900 39 CFM HVLP is easily maneuvered from area to area due to the ergonomic handle and compact styling of motor housing, longer hose length makes it very functional and the sprayer itself is relatively light-weight reducing arm and hand fatigue with simple tab-style adjustments strategically placed to adjust paint flow easily. I noticed some people commented on the noise of the sprayer, either they have never used a tool with a compressor-type motor or they are sensitive to loud noises because this sprayer is not loud compared to other paint sprayers and similar tools I've owned in the past. I was even using mine at 12 am with garage windows open, not too noisy at all. One more thing about this Paint Station, I used only three quarts of paint to do that 750 sq. ft. space, so the product will pay for itself in no time with money saved on paint. I'm ready to stain the wood fence next week, and looking forward to it with this Graco Paint Station! I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Renaldo's review, October 13, 2012
Okay, I needed a sprayer to paint my cabinets, even if it lasted three projects. I read some reviews about this sprayer and decided to get one (factory reconditioned) When I got it, to me it felt like a toy, I still think so...but it paints like a pro. I like the simple make up, it's easy to clean, paint doesn't stick inside the container and it's light in weight. I do have to have a toothbrush handy to clean the the tip when I'm using latex paint..the air is warm coming from the turbine so the paint dries causing an uneven spray (but i live in the tropics ..Trinidad and Tobago! so everything is nice and warm). Overall good product.

I made back my money painting some doors before I started my own project! Nice! Also, the air pressure control is quite sensitive, which is good, and adjusting the angle of the spray is really fast and convenient