4.0 out of 5 stars Just Right for the Home Handyman
Published on September 24, 2011 by James A. Stehr

3.0 out of 5 stars A $109 Table Saw...
Published on January 24, 2012 by Shane

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Right for the Home Handyman, September 24, 2011
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Ryobi ZRRTS10 10 in. Portable Table Saw w/ Stand (Misc.)
THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE FACTORY RECONDITIONED MODEL. My old 10" Craftsman table saw gave up after 26 years of good service. I used it for some home cabinetry which I built to close tolerances over the years. Now I'm no longer in that mode, but I do need to cut miscellaneous 1x and 2x stock plus 1/2" to 3/4" plywood from time to time. I doubt if I'll ever need to cut a full 4x8 sheet again. This Ryobi seemed like just the right fit for my current needs, as it has proven to be, especially considering the very, very attractive price. I was not going to spend upwards of $300 for a table saw that I'd rarely use and even then for simple projects. The Ryobi arrived well packaged and protected. The set up was clear and easy from the instructions provided. It seems more than adequately powered, cutting very cleanly. I particularly like its aluminum construction to keep weight down so I can transport it without its stand in the back of my Prius to my son's house to help with his projects. I find it no noisier than my old Craftsman, certainly not an intolerable noise. I give it 4 not 5 stars because the mitre gauge has too much play when set, handicapping the accuracy of the cut. The blade tilt setting is manual with a somewhat crude indicator of tilt angle. But for my kind of lower end projects around the home and garden, this table saw is just fine. Oh, and there was no way I could tell it was "factory reconditioned." It looked and operated as if perfectly new.

3.0 out of 5 stars A $109 Table Saw..., January 24, 2012
I bought this saw brand new at Home Depot for $109. For someone who doesn't use a table saw a lot, I feel this was a pretty ok purchase. If you're just a regular home owner and you occasionally need the use of a table saw for weekend projects every once in awhile, this saw will suit your needs just fine. If you're going to need a super exact table saw or use a table saw quite often, I would suggest paying a little more for a different one.

Some of the things that aren't that great about this saw are:
a.) The miter adjustment wheel rubs against the height adjustment.
b.) The blade guard is pretty much worthless. (I removed mine.)
c.) The fence and the guide are pretty flimsy, but still usable.

3 stars for it being pretty dangerous and the few design flaws.

If you're comfortable operating a table saw without a blade guard, don't do a lot of major projects, don't need super precise cuts, (I was able to get fairly consistent results within a 32nd of an inch however on most cuts), and just need a cheep, basic table saw for handyman/weekend type projects, I recommend this saw.

It is lightweight, and the stand it comes with is a nice feature. I haven't had any problems with it being "top-heavy," (probably because I took the blade guard off)

If you plan on doing a lot of woodworking in the future however, consider a different saw because you will want to upgrade once you figure out what features are important to you. If you just need an occasional board ripped or 2x6 cut, this Ryobi saw will be just fine. Relatively quiet and very good power. Since I don't plan on using this saw a lot, I consider this to be a pretty good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite pleased, September 3, 2011
Overall, a great investment for the money ($109)for a product that looked to be brand new. The base is sturdy, it has plenty of power for the average handy man and it's simple to set up and use. I was able to rip through treated 1x8's without a problem with the factory blade but wouldn't recommend keeping that blade in use for an extended period. The blade guard is poorly designed but dosen't seem to be much of a draw back. My biggest complaint is that the clamps on the locking bar are pretty weak and require the use of C-clamps for it to securely lock in place. It's definitely not a contractor grade tool but if you're looking for a saw to remodel a room or do other simple jobs, you'll be happy with this item.

Note: Very similar (almost identical) to the Craftsman Evolv series table saw with the same specs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good saw for the money, November 8, 2011
I have several reconditioned Ryobi products that I am happy with and this saw is no exception. It does not have a full size table, but on the other hand it is light enough to be portable. I have used it for cross cuts and ripping and it does a fine job. The fence is reasonably sturdy, although the mitre gauge/pusher is probably too small for precision jobs. The height, angle, and power switch controls are sturdy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent little table saw, if you don't need precision, February 10, 2013
I was looking for a bench top table saw to go in my workshop. My main need is to cut 45 degree bevels for box making. Out of the box I was impressed with the condition this machine was in; it looked brand new. After a few minutes installing the blade guard (I agree with another reviewer's assessment of it being worthless) I started it up; Noisy! The motor jumps on start up and the whole table saw shifts, on my work bench, even when I clamp it down. This is easily fixed by bolting it to my 200 lb workbench.

90 degree crosscutting went fine as ling as I was using stock 1/4" or thicker. Anything thinner would get caught under the fence and would drag causing an uneven cut. This includes beveled pieces of wood. Since I have to have a bevel on each edge of the wood, 1/2 of my cuts are made with a beveled side laying against the fence. In these cases the edge of the bevel would get stuck under the fence. This problem can be rectified by building a sled for the table saw.

A more serious issue is the inability to do a 45 degree bevel. According to specifications the saw should be able to make a 45 degree bevel cut. If I slide the blade tilt over all the way (without forcing it), the best I get is a 46.1 degree cut. This is unacceptable with box making this translates to being off by almost 9 degrees around the box. If I use all my force to jam the blade tilt as far right as it will go, and have a 2nd person lock the blade; I can get a 45.1 - 45.2 degree bevel (measured with a digital angle gauge). This is moderately acceptable, but I fear I will eventually break the blade tilt handle trying to force it. It is possible to build a 45 degree jig to hold work at an angle in a table sled, but I shouldn't have to do that.

So, for 90 degree crosscutting on non-sheet material this is a fine saw for the price, otherwise I would recommend you look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars tools, December 24, 2012
This is a cheaply priced saw. You will always, get what you pay for. The guide and fence are not cabinet shop grade, but it works ok for the small projects I purchased it for. It is not good for 4 foot by 8 foot sheets of material, unless maybe one made/purchased, table extensions? I put a very thin long piece of metal along side the guide( below table surface) to keep it stable and it has no slack to make it wiggle from side to side. For a precise cut width, I raise the blade up and measure front and back of blade to the fence. i really dislike it when cheap people who want heavy duty grade products at dollar store prices, write crap reviews on products. For the price this is a good small projects saw.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just stopped working. Awful customer service., March 3, 2014
I bought this because of the low price tag and because of the large amount of positive reviews, the same reason you are probably considering it. I should have stuck to my golden rule and remembered that you get what you pay for. I used it mildly over 4 different Saturdays, and it worked fine. In the middle of use on the fifth day, it simply refused to power on. I looked at every possible solution online and studied the manual. There were no working solutions. (I'll also mention I bought a power drill from Ryobi as well, and it too is extremely disappointing, but that's another story.) That's the product part. Here's the customer service part...

I tried to return the item through Amazon, stating that I'd like to exchange for a working one. I had bought it from a seller named "Factory Surplus," who denied the request and closed it, stating that the reason for closing it was that "the technical issue has been resolved." Instead of resolving anything, what they actually did was tell me that the item is covered by a one-year warranty from Ryobi, so I needed to bother them about it. OK, fine...

I called Ryobi, and was immediately told that anything bought through Amazon was not covered under their warranty. After arguing with the woman for 15 full minutes about that, she put me on hold for a while and then finally came back and admitted that she had been mistaken. OK, more hassle, but fine, at least we're getting somewhere, right? She gave me the info for a garden supply store near my zip code and told me to take it there or to any Home Depot.

I took it to a Home Depot, because that was closer and I'd be coming back there soon anyway. I was told it would take them TWO MONTHS to have it ready for me. Well, I bought this in the first place for a specific time-sensitive project that I was already in the middle of at this point when it broke down, so that wasn't going to work.

I took it to another Home Depot, this time one that had a tool rental department because the first Home Depot said they could do it quicker. I was again told they'd have to send it out and it would take TWO MONTHS.

Finally, I called the garden supply store the Ryobi rep referred me to. ONE MONTH. Apparently that's the quickest anyone who covers Ryobi warranties can bother to take a look at this defective piece of equipment. Now I'm stuck waiting at least a full month to return to the work I'm doing on my house, unless I want to pony up a few hundred more dollars I can't afford and buy another table saw that actually works, (what I should have done in the first place.)

Defective product + Lack of ability to efficiently handle the problem without hassle = I will never buy anything marked "Ryobi" again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and Powerful, December 29, 2012
Right out of the box this saw will convince you that it is not just a "Little" bench-top, but rather a very powerful and capable tool. I used it to rip some 2 - 1/2" thick oak, and it buzzed right through without the slightest hesitation. The only complaint is that the stand is not really high enough for me, but then most tool stands are made for the average height person...

4.0 out of 5 stars works great!, March 29, 2012
Was in a pinch as my previous table saw died. Happy when this arrived promptly, works great ! Easy to put stand together, great deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great For the Price But Not Super Precise, April 5, 2014
Ozark Bob (Somewheret in the Ozarks) - See all my reviews
This was an excellent deal for the price but not especially suitable for cross cuts. The crosscut handle is sloppy in the track so the cut won't necessarily be at a right angle. I bought it mainly for ripping and got this cheapie so I could leave it at the jobsite without worrying about losing a lot of money if someone stole it. The blade has stayed sharp for miles of ripping and I've had no problems with it for that purpose.

Rate and Discover Movies