Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on November 19, 2012
UPDATE 1 Month: At this point I have lowered my review to 1 star. The adapter deteriorated exactly as expected. I am returning this to Amazon.

Right now I've only used this adapter a week, and there has been 4 disconnects. If you check out reviews on Newegg, Amazon, and Cnet for a new one of these adapters, you'll quickly find a trend; this adapter overheats and disconnects. It especially happens when you are utilizing high traffic, aka, when you need it to stay connected the most (streaming netflix/hulu, downloading, online gaming, etc.) I wish I had listened to the reviews I read on the pages selling the new adapters because now I KNOW from experience that the heat degradation will continue to compound and it will only get worse and worse. I was being naive in thinking that "refurbished" actually meant the company fixed the fidelity issues regarding this adapter, and are now selling "fixed" versions. If one week has me giving this 3 stars, I wonder what one month will have me thinking.
1111 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2013
The adapter is the right size and well built. It installs easily. This is where it stops. There appears to be some kind of flaw that causes the adapter to stop performing when it gets warm. The speed will drop to 10 Mbps or below and requires "repair" or restart.
on June 17, 2013
I bought this to connect an old laptop to stream high bit-rate video more reliably. That did not work as expected. This thing does provide good transfer speed, given decent connection strength, but it would not stay connected. It would effectively become "disconnected" from the computer and you have to plug it out and then replug into the USB port to regain connection. This would happen in the midst of streaming video, and it would sometimes do so multiple times in an hour.

Now that seems like it deserves zero or negative stars even, but I still gave it 3 stars because the solution was really easy and cheap for me. Suspecting that it may be failing when it was not able to draw sufficient power out of the USB port, I got an USB Y cable for less than 5 bucks (this is what I got: http://www.amazon.com/OEM-UTStarcom-USB-Adapter-Cable/dp/B002W8EDOM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371457078&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+y+cable), and after getting it to draw power from two USB ports, I have never had a single disconnect. So for around 15-20 bucks (including the cost of Y cable), this is still a cheap way to give your device decent wireless connection, but it doesn't work reliably out of the box. I believe that those that intend to use it for mostly low-bandwidth applications, such as web browsing, music streaming, etc probably wouldn't face this problem. But if you use this for something more heavy duty, I think you'll suffer disconnects as well, and if so, try a Y-cable.

FYI, an USB Y-cable is an USB extension cable that is designed to plug to two USB ports at one end and to the USB device on the other end. These cables exist because many devices (external hard drive, smartphones, etc) designed to be powered via a USB port simply requires more power than a single USB port can provide.
on July 27, 2012
The adapter arrived quickly and was very easy to set up. I followed the instructions, placed the cd that came with it in the computer prior to connecting the adapter and everything worked great. The product shows no signs of prior use and has been working well since we installed it. Very good solution for our needs. We don't have any walls to go through to connect to our wireless network,but we are getting full bars about 25 ft. away.
on July 27, 2012
Ordered this to work with a Belkin dual band router and was able to get it to work right out of the box with no issues. Easy to setup and use. Vendor shipped it fast and I will probably purchase another one or two to go with the new router.
on November 25, 2012
I had wanted to get one with a base so I could position for maximum reception but I made do with an USB 2 high speed extension cable and a pencil cup to hold it in place. Works great for streaming Netflix to my TV and is handy for use on my older HP mini that I take on trips. Very good, I do have a Cisco with the base for one of my other computers and they are excellent products.
on June 13, 2012
I'm getting a reliable 20 + Megs through this adapter. Work wonderfully and for the price you can't beat it.
on November 3, 2014
I spent 5x the amount for something that works exactly like this product does. It's great and it's all you need to turn your old PC desktop into a wireless computer. Installation took 1 min or less and is optional. Windows 7 and above has basic drivers for it. Shipping was quick using amazon prime.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 26, 2014
I have an older laptop that only has 802.11 G wireless card so its SLOWwwww. In fact its so slow its very frustrating. Even when a N router is running slow its still much faster than the G speed. So I saw this (refurbished) and under 10$ and thought it would be a very easy way to speed up this painfully slow internet connection. It works like a champ. I plugged it in, followed the instructions, put the internal card to "disable" and enabled this and voila, a connection. To test it, I downloaded a copy of windows 7 which is 3.3 gb and it got up to about 100kb per second (with g). With this plugged in, the speed got up to 2000K, which is 2MB per second, or 20x faster. A huge increase and a drastic reduction in the frustration factor. What most people dont realize, is an old laptop a centrino, (about 2008 technology) is still very good for browsing the internet and doing email. You dont need a fast one until you start running various programs or games. I keep that old laptop because its in perfect condition and its perfect for my guest room in case I have someone staying who needs to check email, or do banking etc. Yes, I know I could have changed the internal wireless adapter card for less money (3-4$ for N, 20$ for dual band) but I did not want to hassle around with drivers and this was a very impulsive purchase seeing this for the price it was. Since its portable, I felt like it could be handy for unknown applications in the future, testing connections, doing speed comparisons, or ?
on June 9, 2015
Works great, very easy to set up with the included disc. I ran the disc first, since it was clearly marked "run me first", when It asked me to plug in the device, I did. It then set everything up and asked me what router I wanted to connect to. I selected the router, put in the password and everything was fine again. Seems to work well. I did not do any speedtests, this is for my mothers computers, she doesn't need excessive performance.

I got this because of a lightning strike near her house that fried her modem for the computer and the modem for the phones. That also fried the phones connected to the jacks, took out the Ethernet and WAN ports on the router, and the Ethernet port on her computer. Had to get a new router, and then got this for the computer. Simpler than opening her case to put in an Ethernet card, if I even could on her old Dell. Very impressed with the ease of setup.