5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for a Great Price
1st off, the refurbished product doesnt come with the Smart Wizard disc, you dont need it, its all pre-loaded into the router.

Connect your PC to the router (hard wire) and type [...] on a browser, login ID is admin, password is password, from there you can configure the whole router to your hearts content.

when you first log in, it will check for...
Published 21 months ago by Duane

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy refurbished Netgear Routers
Published 22 months ago by Knowledge

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for a Great Price, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Factory Refurbished NETGEAR WNDR3400 N600 Wireless-N Dual Band Router (Personal Computers)

when you first log in, it will check for any updates to the firmware, DO NOT UPGRADE TO 1.0.0.50, stay with 1.0.0.38 that's currently loaded on there, its far more stable and reliable, you can uncheck the "check for new version" box so this doesnt bother you again.

i made the mistake of upgrading to 1.0.0.50, my 5ghz band was incredibly unstable and died every 2-3 hours, also lost the ability to turn off the bright blue LED lit dome with the new firmware.

if you fell into this hole like i did. go to[...] and download the 1.0.0.38 firmware. it will ask you for the router serial number (of which the refurbished routers dont have one), to the right of the red download button is a link that says "continue without registering" click this and it will allow you to download the 1.0.0.38 firmware. go to your router admin screen (using the access method i mentioned above)\Maintenance\Router Upgrade, use this window to downgrade back to 1.0.0.38

Wireless N 600 speed is awesome, very noticable upgrade from my AT&T Wireless G router imbedded in my home gateway. the router is increadibly stable, no issues day-over-day, it just works, just what you would expect from a NetGear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why pay full price?, July 10, 2012
I just set up this router and am extremely happy about it. It is aesthetically pleasing as well as functional. NOTE: My ONLY complaint (and this is in part my fault) is that this router DOES NOT support the ReadyShare Cloud. When I was looking into ReadyShare on Netgear's website I misread that there is indeed a difference between ReadyShare and ReadyShare Cloud. ReadyShare allows you to connect an external hard drive to your wireless router and you can access that hard drive wirelessly while connected to the router its attached to...this is different than ReadyShare Cloud in which you can access the hard drive connected to the router ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET. Only the Netgear 3800 is compatible with the ReadyShareCloud feature. Now this doesn't detract from this product, it just wasn't very clear that the 3400 DOES NOT have the ReadyShareCloud feature.

Overall however, I really liked this product and at the refurbished price, it can't be beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy Setup, January 30, 2013
I purchased this router basically for two reasons:

1. I need more bandwidth for all of my devices

2. It was a cost effective solution for the amount of bandwidth.

After struggling with an older Netgear N300 (which was not horrible, just limiting)...I decided to fork out the dough for a "new" router. I had seen this N600 at best buy (where it was $80+ I think) and asked the sales person about it. They mentioned that they had it for a while and it did the job while supporting 2 laptops, an Xbox, a PS3, iPhone, and tablet. I was just about sold on it because I need support for 2 smartphones, 1 laptop, a PS3, a Wii, and a tablet. I decided to check the price on Amazon just in case and Wah Lah! I am not sure why there are so many "refurbished" N600's available, but after one month in: no restarts, no bandwidth glitches or delays while the kids are streaming Netflix to the PS3, and no dropouts when in the upstairs area of my home.

Setup was very easy. While I was scratching my head at trying to setup the router from my iPad, as soon as I turned on the laptop (with Windows 7), the new router was immediately recognized. I was asked for a new security password and router ID and I was up-and-running. No software to install, no setup "wizard" that asked me the color of my underwear, no fuss. It just worked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished is better than new, April 27, 2014
Ian (Nevis, West Indies) - See all my reviews
A lot of reviewers here are blaming problems with this router on the fact that it's refurbished. That's not accurate. In most cases refurbished routers are just new routers that were returned by a customer, quality checked, and then rebadged refurbished since by law they can't be sold as new once they've been returned. In rare cases the quality check turns up a manufacturing defect, the part is replaced, the router is quality checked again and resold.

I think when people see the word refurbished they imagine something like worn out car parts that have been rebuilt and aren't quite as good as brand new. But this router doesn't have many moving parts and won't really wear out. If the router works when you first buy it, it's more or less going to continue to work indefinitely. And because refurbished routers are more thoroughly quality checked than new routers, you're actually less likely to get a lemon than you are when you buy a new router.

This is can be kind of problematic for Netgear because it undermines the perceived value of new routers. To combat perception, they cut the warranty to 30 days, don't include a setup CD and limit tech support to 30 days of email support (no phone calls).

You don't need to worry about the shortened warranty because, as I said, routers don't really wear out. If the router works when you first buy it, it's going to keep working indefinitely. And if you plug it in and it doesn't work, just return it.

Regarding the setup CD, I think you're better off without it. I'm not sure what it does but there is a setup wizard built into the router and there's no reason to install the extra setup bloatware on your computer.

The only question you have to ask yourself is do you care that tech support is limited to 30 days of email support? If you buy the new version you get 90 days of phone support. Whether that's worth the price difference is a personal decision.

So what's up with the negative reviews? To be honest, new or refurbished, this is not the world's finest router. It doesn't have the same range as the best routers, it doesn't have as many features and it's less stable. People are mistakenly attributing problems to the fact that they got a refurbished model when they probably would have had the same experience with a new model. If you want something with better performance, don't get the new version, get a different router. The Wirecutter has some good recommendations.

Personally, though, I've been satisfied with this router. For the price, it's a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Qulaity Refurb, August 13, 2013
On small electronics, I usually try and buy refurbs, because they are just products that have had a second manufacturer quality check.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy refurbished Netgear Routers, November 11, 2012
Usually I've not had any problems with refurbished products. I did read online that I should stay away from refurbished routers, but I was hoping it wouldn't be a big problem. My router worked fine for a week and I was happy to have saved 50% on it. Just today the router failed on me. It had an issue routing the connections properly and even having re-set the router did not fix the problem. I would save yourself the headache and just pay up the cost of a new router instead of buying someone else's problem for a discount.

4.0 out of 5 stars Appears that I received a v1, but Netgear Genie still works with it., February 22, 2014
Netgear's website had stated that their Genie software was not yet compatible with v1 of this modem, but alas, installed Genie and it works. Although there is a known bug that Genie software does not show you settings for the 5ghz channel, I don't tinker with the channels all that much. And if I do, I access the modem directly anyway. The Genie software is good for starting up your guest network on your smartphone and have your guest scan the QR code that pops up, for access (no needing to type long or confusing passwords).
I did initially have issues with the 5ghz channel (about a week out)having dropout's. But a quick peek at my network showed an IP address conflict. Once that was resolved (IP Release / Renew), all is well for the last week or so. My suggestion to those who have dropout issues is to be sure there are no IP address conflicts. If you're not a network guru, a way to solve this is to power down ALL devices (even wired devices) that connect to the router. Power DOWN, completely down. Restart router, and then ONE AT A TIME, slowly restart each device. As each device connects, this router will hand out a new and unique IP address and any conflicts should be cleared. This assumes you've kept your router on DHCP mode.

EDIT - I will stick with Netgear firmware as long as it stays stable. If it acts up, I will migrate to DD-WRT (as this is a v1, apparently v2 is not DD-WRT compatible)

EDIT #2 - Have had this router for over a month now. It does seem to need a reboot about once every week or so. It seems like it gets bogged down and starts dropping connections, especially on the 5ghz channel. It will connect right back up after a drop, but annoying to say the least when it's once every few minutes and your phone keeps nagging you that it's connected to your network again, and again. After being unplugged for 5-10 minutes, all is good again. I would think this has something to do with ability to clear it's cache memory buffer? (I'm no router expert, but I'm thinking there is some kind of "build up" internally on this)I have removed a star for that, but still not a deal breaker as router has decent network transfer speed and range, and the price paid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price for router that can support multiple consoles, February 16, 2014
Having spent probably $500 for routers over the past 3 years I was very pleased to find one for a low price that did exactly what I wanted it to do. I have had several NAT issues with routers running multiple xboxs, ps3s and a ps4. This router will work for 2 ps3s or two xboxs simultaneously for online play. I have around 20-25 wireless devices connected most of the time and have only needed to restart this router one time in the 2 months I have owned it. I understand that some reviewers have been hit or miss with receipt of a doa product. I think that is one of the risks with a refurbished item and at this price you can't miss. It has all the speed 80% of users need. If it doesn't transfer files fast enough for you then you won't be finding a router at this price point. The router is centrally located in a ranch style 2400 sq ft home and has no reception problems. I would recommend for any non power user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great as access point, September 11, 2012
I've been using a brand-new version of this router since February. Wanting to extend my wireless range, I bought this refurbished model together with two TP-Link Powerline Adapters two months ago. I flashed DD-WRT onto this unit, set it up as a wireless access point, then connected it to my original router via the Powerline Adapters. It has been working perfectly the entire two months, doing exactly what I wanted it to do without the annoying blue light bubble button illuminated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to set up., May 30, 2014
First of all, how can you beat the price? under $25! It did not come with any documentation but it was easy to find the necessary files on Netgear's website. The user manual and setup guide are available in pdf to download. Just follow the directions on the setup guide and you will be up and running in less than 10 minutes. Setting up a guest network was very easy as well using the directions in the user manual. I didn't have to do any other tweaking to the default settings. And I did the setup using the manual method. I have a Actiontec router with my FIOS account that no one seems to like. It had marginal signal range which caused me havoc upstairs in my bedroom tying watch a movie on a ROKU. I did manage to turn off the wireless signal on that router so it basically serves as the cable box now. I am now getting a significantly stronger wireless signal upstairs now.

So now I have 3 networks - a 2.4ghz for normal use; a 5ghz that I reserve for devices when streaming from Netflix and Amazon; and the guest 2.4ghz network. Sometimes when my daughter has friends over and they are all using their iPhones on our network, I have been suffering because of the bandwidth drain. I am going to read the user manual as I am pretty sure I can tweak the settings to limit the bandwidth available to the guest network. That way they can all text, do Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. but not make my movies freeze.

I see some other reviewers had issues with the updated firmware. As soon as I started setting the router up, it notified me there was a firmware update and asked me if I wanted to download and install it. I did so without any issues.

I do not do any gaming so I can't give any feedback in the area. We figured out we actually have 16 devices connected to our WIFI network including our VOIP phones.

So in summary, a great price for a really nice dual band router. Just read and follow the setup guide.

Factory Refurbished NETGEAR WNDR3400 N600 Wireless-N Dual Band Router