5.0 out of 5 stars A Quicker Cooker, only bigger
1. Cooking with a pressure cooker

Think of a pressure cooker as a crock pot on steroids. The increased pressure inside the sealed vessel results in an elevated boiling point, producing a higher cooking temperature for faster cooking. The standard pressure for these cookers is 15 psi, raising the boiling point from 212f to 250f. Current design features...
Published on June 14, 2005 by R. Kreis

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty is useless
We bought this pressure cooker from Macy's. The body and handles are still in very good condition after about 1 year of moderate use. However, the red/purple-ish lock on the upper handle began to deform by the heat from the cooker (it is shielded from the stove burner by the lower handle), making the open and lock operation harder and harder, until finally the plastic...
Published on September 25, 2007 by L. L.

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Fagor: Worthless Warranty and Guarantee, Dangerous Product, Atrocious Customer Service, October 15, 2009
Pressurized Mother (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/buttons/continue._V7151664_.gif) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
Having cooked with pressure cookers regularly and successfully for decades, I am very experienced in maintaining and cooking with a variety of pressure cookers.

I treated myself to a stainless steel Fagor - my first Fagor (I liked the idea of the built in pressure device). Immediately I noticed slight burning in one small part, but I put up with it, and just had to use more elbow grease there whenever I cleaned. Then about a year later, after following one of their recipes, my cooker burnt out (interesting that this happened to another in comments too). This resulted in the dial melting - and of course a very messy pot - i.e. an unusable pressure cooker. Later, Fagor had the cheek to imply that the pot had failed because I had kept it in such a state! In trying to clean the pot, we noticed what seemed to be a through-and-through defect in the stainless steel - in the same place as the burn spot. It has been over 3 weeks since updating them on the latest find, yet they have remained silent, shunning me.

At least one of the recipes in the Fagor manual calls for the addition of honey AND ketchup. This is the recipe that saw the downfall of my pressure cooker. It is of interest that Snow White comments that these are a no-no in pressure cooking. You'd think that users are safe if they follow the manufacturer's instructions! However, Fagor have refused to admit any failure on the part of their recipes, or pressure cooker.

The company does not stand by its "10 Yr Warranty Fully Guaranteed Product". I photo documented the issues and sent them to Fagor - including Fagor's President (who never bothered to respond). They eventually offered a new lid ... but with a dangerous pot, it's not worth risking it. Clearly they do not care about customer satisfaction or safety, and do not see value in building up goodwill.

Stay clear of this company and its products!
(I cooked for decades with Prestige with no problems.)

I'm hoping this review will allow me to rate it a zero, if not I'll be forced to rate it a too generous '1'

4.0 out of 5 stars fast results, March 25, 2005
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
We have never owned a pressure cooker before, although we are very kitchen friendly cooks. The directions are a bit vague, so make sure you read and understand the mechanics first! Although the directions say you can release excess steam or depressurize by turning the valve on the top - don't do it! Our St. Patty's Day corn beef sprayed grease all over the kitchen, never mind almost scalding our daughter. Instead, take the pot to the sink and use the method of running a slow stream of cold water at the outside edge of the pot. This will take less than a minute before you can open the pot. The food comes out DELICIOUS and it's so FAST, quite a time saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Value: Superbly made, truly functional, September 3, 2005
Chris G. Berardi "agilefalcon" (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
I read many reviews about purchasing a pressure cooker and was taken by the great reviews of the Fagor brand. So, intending just to go look at them my wife and I went to Dillards. While we were there we saw the Fagor Splendid 2 in 1. It has an 8qt and 4qt pots with a glass lid, pressure lid, trivet and steamer basket. The pots are beautiful! Polished inside and out, with a quality heft to their stainless steel bodies. Heck, for a regular pot you could pay [...] for quality this nice; yet, Dillards was selling the complete set for [...]. We decided on the spot and took it home.

I immediately broke out 6 fresh corn cobs, shucked them and threw them in the 8qt pot followed by about 21/2 pounds of peeled potatoes. 7 minutes later, out they came! Perfect! My wife said that the corn was fantastic-so tender and colorful. The potatoes were wonderful also.

Here in Texas, the last thing I wanted to do was steam up the kitchen while cooking the corn. This pressure cooker barely vented steam, was very quiet, and came up to pressure so quickly.

I can honestly say, that if you choose this brand, you will be delighted. As I mentioned earlier, the quality of the pots is in the league of high end manufacturers. The parts are easy to order and Fagor has a great web site [...].

Oh, and it is warranteed for 10 Years, and the pots are made in...Spain!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its all true!, January 28, 2006
EmAitch (Los Angeles CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
This evening I tried out my cooker, trepidatiously. I made an oso buco recipe. I wasn't able to find veal shanks, so I opted to try beef shanks--tough as boot leather--instead.
The beef turned out quite tender. What was amazing was the sauce that formed in the pan along with the meat. Thick, rich and flavorful. And lots of it!

Everything everyone has written is true: a delight to behold, easy to use, easy to know when the cooker has reached pressure, easy to clean, designed with great care and attention to detail.
If you get one, consider the following two accessories:
1. simple, cheap kitchen timer, and 2. "Cooking Under Pressure" by Lorna Sass. Once you get the pressure up, with the timer you can track how long, and remove from the heatly promptly. Lorna Sass's book is written so gently you can imagine her standing behind you, and heaping on encouragement.

One more thing. We have entered an era where we must be concerned with how much energy we use.Pressure cookers requires very little fuel. For this very reason they are very popular in the third world and other places where cooking fuel is scarce and expensive. If nothing else, with the help of a pressure cooker, we can cook our way to energy independence!
2008 Update: I've been using the cooker to prepare a whole new group of foods (Cauliflower head 4 minutes, Sweet potatoes 15 minutes, fabulous rice pudding with cardamom, and amazing chile verde). Even my very picky and gunshy spouse appreciates what comes forth from the pressure cooker.We're eating healthier, and using less gas, too! I still love my fagor splendid, and unhesitatingly highly recommend to anyone, even to the most nervous nellie!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT device... but it doesn't come with the steamer/trivet, February 8, 2005
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
I'm very pleased with this, my first pressure cooker. It really does make quick work of some great recipes. So far I've successfully made beef stews (1 - 1.5 hours), risotto (7 minutes), and even homemade chicken stock (1 - 1.5 hours) in far less time than other methods.

However, note that this particular model does NOT come with a "stainless-steel steamer basket and trivet", despite the Amazon product description. The pressure cooker does, however, come with a little insert that lets you order the steamer/trivet from Fagor for $10. I decided to pass on it, I have a little general-purpose steamer basket that I can throw in instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, January 20, 2007
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
Having grown up with an old-school pressure cooker (tic-tic-tic), I was a little reluctant to make the switch to this new-fangled gadget. However, I was hooked after the first few quick and easy meals that I wouldn't have tried in the old one. In a word: BEANS. The foaming problem that can make such a mess in the old models is almost perfectly solved by the new pressure release system. Once it comes up to pressure, you can reduce the heat and keep everything going without spurting steam all over the place. The little yellow button stays up - you know when the cooker is pressurized and can adjust the heat to keep things moving along. Works like a charm.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Disater Waiting to Happen, January 24, 2010
Peter (New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
I have one of these. It has a number of issues. One is that it is difficult and awkward to put the lid in place. It doesn't seem like it ought to be, but it is a lot fussier than it looks. Next, the steam pressure regulator valve allows a steady stream of hot steam to escape. That is OK, except that it directs this flow exactly at the grip on the opposite side of the pot from the handle. Stupid design!

But the real issue is this:

I was surprised the first time I used it that a a lot of steam and water escaped from under the handle atop the lid, not through the pressure valves mind you, but from under the handle.

However, once the pressure built up this seemed to stop. So it apparently it relies on internal pressure to make all the seals tight. Fair enough...

BUT about the thrid time I used it, after it had come up to pressure, I turned the burner down to medium (usually enough to keep things going along nicely) and went about other business. It seems that the pot came off the hard boil and in doing so the seal was compromised (I think that low internal pressure caused this.) The compromised seal meant that the pot was still "steaming" away, but not under high pressure. This permitted all the liquid to evaporate out of the pot far faster than it should have, and so it badly scorched the bottom of the pot.

I was dumbfounded when my my wife happened to walk into the kitchen and smell the burning after only 20 minuts for a recipie that I know by actual first-hand experience should take an hour, and still wind up with about a pint of liquid in the pot. Luckily a major disaster was averted.. but I no longer trust this device and I won't use it.

As I read other reviews I see that a lot of them have had similar burning/scorching/sealing failures. I believe it is a design flaw of the pot. It needs high pressure to seal. If the pressure drops you are in a heap of trouble. You are no longer pressure cooking, you are just blindly boiling away the liquid!

I did clean it up, (it took power tools in my shop, scrapers, and wire buffing wheels) but it's ultimate fate is the dumpster. It can't be trusted unless you watch it constantly, and it is too much at risk if it screws up again. The down side isn't just a ruined diner, it is a ruined kitchen.

I won't give up pressure cooking, but I will give up this pressure cooker.

Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, June 18, 2003
S. Yang "Mother of 4" (Littleton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
This pressure cooker is very good quality for its price. It's easy to use and clean. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. Very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pressure Cook without Fear!, May 20, 2005
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
No time for slow food? This product saves hours in the kitchen and is easy to cool down and add ingredients midway through cooking. Although you may miss the familiar psst, psst of older style pressure cookers (and panicked runs to the kitchen), the quiet Fagor safety design ensures there will be no splatter and valve pop if you accidentally let it run dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars just get it!, February 20, 2007
This review is from: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker (Kitchen)
If you like to cook soups, you neeeed this.

If you like to cook base broths, A must have.

If you like fork-shredded meat (pot roast, burrito filling, etc.) There is really no other way to do it right.

You can cook rice in about 10 min. (5 to heat, 5 to cook..done!)

You can cook potato, squash, pumpkin, etc in about 15 min. incl. heating.

If you don't cook these things, it may not be as useful.

I have a Rapida, which is supposed to base model. Had it for 7 years. Just replacing gasket now! These Fagor models are heavy duty and built to last. absolutely no problems except you can burn food onto the bottom if too hot.Impress my wife all the time with it. Save shrimp, crab shells, fish leftovers in freezer. when you get enough make broth. use it in rice in place of water or as a base for white sauce. ditto with the holiday turkey. throw half of the remains in and make low-salt broth. pea soup with ham is great in 20 minutes from start.

Can't say enough about how much I like these.

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›