Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

Size: 6-Quart|Change

on July 3, 2006
I lost 100 pounds while living in Madrid last year. They use this brand and size, even the 4 quart, alot. I'll explain one recipe quickly as so many Americans are leery of using it. It is so quick and easy to use. My husband is a very happy man with these meals too. It is like a wonderful multi layer flavored stew in just 20 minutes. Briefly: put in 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs & a little olive oil, and brown. Then just leave heat on high or med. and start tossing in your cut up veggies!!! Whatever you like! For chicken, I'll usually clean and chop 2 carrots, 1 small onion, 1/4 to 1/3 cabbage, 2 celery stalks, little less than a teaspoon of garlic from those jars that have the garlic already mushed up, salt (not to much cuz can add more at end), dash of pepper, 1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes (just to be even quicker), 1/2 to 1 cup of chick stock depending on how "soupy" I want it - which of course can be cooked down (but you MUST have the liquid THIS IS THE KEY); then stir to mix well. THEN put the lid on correctly (easy to do), put dail to "closed lid" sign, put back up on high and wait for little yellow indicator to "pop up" - THEN turn heat to low and set your timer for 20 minutes. (I have an electric stove). It will hiss some but that is normal - remember, healthy, nutritious meal all while using minimal electricity and with these HOT California days it is the best. It is an absolute delight. It is quicker to cook than go out for a meal not to mention how money is to be saved. You could use lower grades of beef too because the pressure is so fabulous. When the timer goes off, turn off stove, and let set to meld flavors even more and when yellow indicator goes down then you can open lid (I like this method cuz it is so tasty). For even better presentation of your dish, when timer goes off just turn dail to the "steam releasing" picture, wait for yellow indicator to go back down and then open. You will see the difference when you try it both methods. This is not the pressure cooker that we in the USA have heard about around WWII; this is the most famous, widely used modern pressure cooker of Spain. Slender healthy women AND definately men too use it on a daily basis in Spain!!!! This pressure cooker has become a staple in my home. Less electricty which is great for my pocket book and the environment, and healthy nutritious meals that retain all the vitamins...well,it's a good thing. (Although, I don't think I have ever seen Martha use a pressure cooker!) Gotta go! Dinner is ready!!!!! Tonight is beef precut into cute little cubes! Yum! :)
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2009
Having cooked with pressure cookers regularly and successfully for decades, I am very experienced in maintaining and cooking with a variety of pressure cookers.

I treated myself to a stainless steel Fagor - my first Fagor (I liked the idea of the built in pressure device). Immediately I noticed slight burning in one small part, but I put up with it, and just had to use more elbow grease there whenever I cleaned. Then about a year later, after following one of their recipes, my cooker burnt out (interesting that this happened to another in comments too). This resulted in the dial melting - and of course a very messy pot - i.e. an unusable pressure cooker. Later, Fagor had the cheek to imply that the pot had failed because I had kept it in such a state! In trying to clean the pot, we noticed what seemed to be a through-and-through defect in the stainless steel - in the same place as the burn spot. It has been over 3 weeks since updating them on the latest find, yet they have remained silent, shunning me.

At least one of the recipes in the Fagor manual calls for the addition of honey AND ketchup. This is the recipe that saw the downfall of my pressure cooker. It is of interest that Snow White comments that these are a no-no in pressure cooking. You'd think that users are safe if they follow the manufacturer's instructions! However, Fagor have refused to admit any failure on the part of their recipes, or pressure cooker.

The company does not stand by its "10 Yr Warranty Fully Guaranteed Product". I photo documented the issues and sent them to Fagor - including Fagor's President (who never bothered to respond). They eventually offered a new lid ... but with a dangerous pot, it's not worth risking it. Clearly they do not care about customer satisfaction or safety, and do not see value in building up goodwill.

Stay clear of this company and its products!
(I cooked for decades with Prestige with no problems.)

I'm hoping this review will allow me to rate it zero, otherwise I will have to give it an overly generous '1'.
1616 comments|125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2005
I love my Fagor pressure cooker. All the controls are contained within the handle - no more jiggling, noisy regulators! It is so safe and easy - all the fears I had of traditional pressure cookers are gone. Best of all, I can cook roasts, chicken, stews - generally my crock pot items - after coming home from work instead of worrying about leaving a crock pot on all day. The food comes out as tender as if I cooked it overnight. If you're serious about buying a good pressure cooker, make this one your investment. With it's heavy-duty stainless steel construction and triple safety system (any excess steam is allowed to escape instead of building up and redecorating your kitchen), it's a smart and safe decision.
on February 15, 2012
Things sure have changed since I gave my mother a Presto Harvest Gold pressure cooker back in the last century. Fagor replaces the wobbling weight with a captive spring-loaded pressure regulator. Instead of a rubber plug that blasts out of the lid in the event of excess pressure, the Fagor's emergency release is a cutout portion of the lid that exposes part of the gasket. The gasket stretches but if it should snap, it would stay in place and the steam would escape out the side, not into the cook's face. To earn the Underwriters' Laboratories seal, Fagor pressure cookers feature a pressure-activated safety lock in addition to the manual latch. You'd have to be built like Mister Universe to force open a pressurized cooker.

In operation, the Fagor behaves a little differently than a weight-regulated pressure cooker. On the latter, you have to determine if the weight is wobbling at just the right rhythm. The weight should waggle but not bang against the vent stem. With the Fagor, all you have to see or hear is a gentle constant flow of steam. The regulator knob is also the release valve, should you wish to depressurize the cooker immediately instead of allowing the pressure to drop naturally. The steam is routed through a fan-shaped outlet, allowing it to disperse and cool quickly. At six inches from the outlet, the steam is warm but not burning hot.

So far, the cooker has performed as promised. Lentil soup with diced smoked sausage cooked up thick and flavorful in just 10 minutes under pressure. Ditto for spaghetti sauce and whole links of Italian sausage. The sauce had intense flavors of garlic and herbs, and the sausage came out juicy with a hint of snap in the casing. Three pounds of diced red potatoes and the peeled cloves from a whole bulb of garlic were ready to mash in 6 minutes.

The amazingly short cooking times omit the time required for the cooker to come up to pressure which can take about 10 minutes. Still, you save a lot of time overall.

Keeping the all-important gasket clean is a cinch because it's so easy to remove and replace. The lid and pot are made of gleaming 18/10 stainless steel with an encapsulated aluminum base that cooks over any gas or electric heat source as well as the latest induction cooktops. When it's time to clean up, you can use cleaners like Bar Keeper's Friend on the inside and out, but if the discoloration is from cooking lentils, split peas, potatoes or beans, it's iron and other minerals that are good for you. Just wash and dry the pot and put it away until you're ready to prepare spaghetti sauce or some other high acidity recipe. You'll get back a little nutrition and you won't have to scour your pressure cooker.
review image
on March 22, 2009
I have had this product for about a month now and am very pleased with it. Cooking times tend to take longer than mentioned in the accompanying books, but still are considerably faster than conventional stove top cooking. I can also cook things that I used to have to do a lot more advanced planning for. I like that I can take meat out of the freezer, partially thaw it enough to brown the outside in the oven, then throw it in the pressure cooker to finish it...and with the same result I get from hours in a crock pot, but with much less time.

I have even baked (steamed) bread in it. Worked great and makes bread with virtually no crust.

Edit (March 2, 2010)

It's been almost a year now since I bought this and am still very happy with it. it gets used probably twice a week. Makes fantastic chili. Cooks brown rice and lentils way faster than regular stovetop cooking. Fantastic for beans. Makes killer potato soup (or potato soup to die for...whatever...very good stuff). I even cooked a ham in it. Also works well for cooking millet and other grains. I can cook whole wheat berries in it in about 20-30 minutes, depending on how firm I want them to be.

The only thing I have run into is that when the little yellow button pops up, it may not quite be up to pressure yet. Give it a few more seconds. This is on an electric stove using the "two burner" method for lowering the temperature once pressure is reached. I have found that sometimes, if I move the cooker to the lower temperature burner too soon, it loses pressure, whereas if I wait just a bit, then move it, it maintians proper pressure.

It also works great for hard boiling eggs. I put them in, cover with water, bring it to pressure, give it a minute or so, then just take it off the burner and let the pressure come down naturally. Once the pressure drops, eggs are done perfectly.

Further Edit (December 13, 2010)
Pressure cooker is still going strong, still seeing a lot of use. I have found that the best way to do this is using a single burner. When the button pops up, just turn down the burner, even tho it is an electric coil type burner, by the time the burner drops to an acceptable level of heat, the PC is at pressure. I dunno as this would work with a smaller cooker.

I've had stuff scorch a couple of times, mostly anything with lots of tomato sauce, so I've learned to be a bit more careful with that.

The gasket is still good. I quit oiling it and it hasn't seemed to make much of a difference, however, I would say that the gasket is getting stiffer and it is probably time for a replacement.

One really nifty thing I discovered (which may not be an original thing), is what I call "pressure smoking". I put some chicken in this thing on a trivet and used an entire 4 oz bottle of liquid smoke for the cooking fluid. WOW! Very yummy chicken. Fork tender and smoke flavored.

November 2012
Pressure cooker still going strong. I use it perhaps twice a week. I am still on the original gasket, even though I bought a replacement "just in case". The gasket works fine, though I notice that after taking the lid off, it sometimes is "stuck" in a compressed state. If I take it out and put it back in (if I am doing something that requires cooking in "stages", it works just fine. I have had no trouble at all with this product.

February 2013
Still doing great. Still using the original gasket. Used it to make some "dulce de leche" in a mere 45 minutes vs 4 hours in a conventional pot on the stove (you boil an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk, turns it into this caramel-like stuff, very tasty).

May 2015.
Started having an issue with the unit not wanting to hold pressure. Figured it was finally time to replace the gasket. This did not, however, fix the issue. Unit comes up to pressure, but it very slowly bleeds off. Am thinking the spring in the pressure regulation knob has something wrong, so am gonna look into replacing it.
on August 20, 2003
I bought this cooker last year. My wife and I cooked Thai curry many times and each time took us over an hour. Because we have to simmer with med heat until the coconut milk starts to break out with oil. This baby saves us time and energy. A pot of curry (for 4-5 serving) now took us only 15 mins. Great with stew also. We experimented with beef and ribs for BBQ (before grilling) on the 4th and it was very satisfying. Only hassle is that I hate to hand wash it afterward. But I guess same goes for any pressure cookers. Highly recommend it.
on December 26, 2008
Fagor makes fine pressure cookers, and this is no exception. I gave this to myself for Christmas, and have already used it several times, with excellent results. There is nothing difficult about this pressure cooker. Read the manual, and be sure you understand how to engage the pressure lock, and how to set the pressure valve for pressure. Watch the DVD that is included, and you're good to go. I will say one thing about the DVD: the demonstrators in the video say to start timing when the yellow pin pops up. This is not correct. The yellow pin indicates that there is SOME pressure, but it does not necessarily mean there is FULL pressure. You will know there is FULL pressure when there is a steady stream of steam emitting from the pressure valve on the handle. This is when you start cooking time, and also reduce burner heat to the lowest setting that will still keep stable pressure, with just a whisper or puff of steam at intervals of 10 or so seconds.
66 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2005
This has been an amazing addition to my kitchen! I've used it for numerous stocks and stews, I've made beautiful batches of coq au vin, I've even used it for shortcutting the cooking required for molé. Everything's turned out wonderfully, and I always get plenty of complements from my wife and kids.

Everything about the unit is a joy. The heavy bottom is terrific when browning up meats and vegetables for cooking. The lid's latch is easy to work. The valve assembly comes apart quite easily for thorough cleaning, and I've even taken the lid assembly completely apart to get back into the various nooks and crannies.

This cooker gets frequent use around here and has always been up to the task. I love it!
on October 15, 2003
This cooker is a good buy for the cost and is well made. I like that it is stainless steel with the aluminum bottom to evenly heat. I like the safety features and it was easy to use. My first beef roast, carrots and potatoes that I made was great. And in much less time than other methods.
on October 15, 2009

Stay clear of this company and its products!
(I cooked for decades with Prestige with no problems.)

I'm hoping this review will allow me to rate it a zero, if not I'll be forced to rate it a too generous '1'
55 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse