5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum opus!!!
Caveat: I've only had this album for a few hours but, as with the urgency of the album, I thought it important to get the message out there quickly.

Published on September 4, 2012 by Richard Church

3.0 out of 5 stars Pizza
Published 16 months ago by G. W. J. Velthuis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum opus!!!, September 4, 2012
Richard Church (Raleigh, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Failed States (Audio CD)

I don't know what happens in the northern woods up there in Manitoba, but it makes for some magnificent abstract punk/thrash/progressive metal. I've followed Propagandhi since How to Clean Everything and I would challenge you to find a band that has a more interesting career progression. They often remind me of how Corrosion of Conformity got from Eye for an Eye to their current album (minus those couple of awful attempts at southern rock) - which seems appropriate since they covered them on that split 7" with Sacrifice. But, I digress.

I won't waste your time with a track by track review, but Failed States seems like the album the band has been aiming for since Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes. As with any Propagandhi release, it is just as much about the message as the music. I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite song, but "Duplicate Keys Icaro (An Interim Report)" is a straight ripper! However, I really love the infinitely stranger "Things I Like". I never thought I'd hear a mix of references to Kurt Russell as Captain Ron, The Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love", and Will and Grace followed by a verse in (I'm assuming, so excuse my ignorance) the language of Manitoba's native aboriginal community.

Everything before, after, and in-between is intensely interesting, as well. This is the next logical step from Supporting Caste, but definitely not Less Talk, More Rock Part II. As for the politics, these guys are the far left of the far left's left. Agree with them or not, they've been towing the same line so long that you can't question their sincerity. You can still enjoy this record, whatever your political bent. So shell out a few bucks and buy yourself something interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars POINT AWAY FROM FACE, September 6, 2012
IT ROCKED MINE RIGHT OFF. GONE. DISAPPEARED. Now that I've been released from the hospital I owe them 300,000 dollars and will never own anything again, and they're gonna take my house and I'll be homeless because the industrial medical industry is the united states is a joke but at least I got to hear this album before they repo my iPod.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pizza, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Failed States (Audio CD)
Propaghandi will always be the most technical, interesting and in your face punkrock band in the world. This album though is a bit like pizza, it's not bad and because it's Propaghandi (pizza) it's still very good but it didn't rock my socks off. Was this album made by any other band I would have given it 4 stars but in the light of Propaghandi's awesome discography I expected a little more, therefore 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not their best, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Failed States (Audio CD)
It seems with each new album Propagandhi explores new territory and this album is no exception. Every time I hear a new record I am always surprised. They never do the same things twice and are always able to push their unique sound. To me their are one of the few punk/hardcore bands that strive to move forward and develop as artists.

Honestly this is a great album, but it isn't their best. I find the album to be less cohesive than their last two. They always have diverse songs on their albums, but it's a little more extreme in that department. Some songs sound too technical, maybe too metal even, some sound too rushed and frenetic and others are perfect. There isn't one bad song on this album and I am sure plenty of people won't mind what I have mentioned, but for me it's not as good as Supporting Caste.

You will still find everything you want to hear from this band and this album is still better than 99% of the crap that's out there. I am sure after a few more listens I will enjoy this album as much as their last few. Anyways buy, listen and enjoy some of the best music to ever come out of the Great White North.

5.0 out of 5 stars yup., September 28, 2012
another amazing album after an arduous anticipation before becoming beautiful breathtaking ah i can't keep doing this. I really liked all of the songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***Outstanding!!! - A Brutal Grower!!! ***, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Failed States (Audio CD)
Yes, The wait is finally over and Propagandhi is back with what i would consider as their heaviest album since TODAYS EMPIRE TOMORROW'S ASHES! This one is another grower my friends; The tone is heavy, the riffs are fast, the melodies are brutal and the arrangements are gorgeously complex. So, as charming as it may sound on your 1st try, the album will indeed take a few spins before revealing itself, before you stop picking your nose and really "sink" in and understand the songs.

As another reviewer wisely pointed out in his review, this is probably the closest thing to "Todays Empire Tomorrow's Ashes" the band as done yet so im sorry to say that the fast and catchy melodies of "How To Clean Everything" are gone now. "Supporting Caste" had maybe 1 or 2 but "Failed States" is on a totally different level. Definitely not recommended for pubeless teens rockin on Simple Plan's tunes. This album is raw, brutal and 100% Punk Rock. The complexity of the riffs and arrangements will require the listeners to really pay attention. Lots of things can happen in only 1 song...The songs structures often goes way beyond the standard "verse-chorus" thing, which makes things even more interesting as each songs have a little something to it....

The sound quality is amazing, you cant miss it if you have a good sound system. The album is still growing strong on me but so far i would say that my favourites are "Failes States" "Devils Creek" "Things I Like" "Dark Matters" and "Duplicate Keys Icaro (an iterim report)". The riffs on these songs should make any metal head drool on the floor. If you know the band and you like punk rock then you should go for it. If not, then you should probably hear the samples before buying it. This one is not for everyone folks! Beware....

Once your done with the Album,You might feel a little cranked, dont worry, its a common side effect, you'll probably need to relax a bit and enjoy something different. I would recommend a good foot massage, with some herbal tea, followed by Captain Ron.

ENJOY!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Failed states review, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Failed States (Audio CD)
Its a good album, not as good as their previous ones (purely subjective) but I still really enjoyed it. As always, I think their lyrics are more important than the way they're sung anyways and this album is no different. Super intelligent and insightful lyrics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great comeback, May 29, 2014
This review is from: Failed States (Audio CD)
Great album. Some songs are pretty hardcore for my taste. Lyrics are as usual... There isn't a common theme like in Today's Empires...Every Propagandhi fan should have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Propahandhi never... fails., February 4, 2014
This review is from: Failed States (MP3 Music)
Do yourself a favor and buy one of the only good punk rock albums to come out in the last 4 years.
You won't be disappointed, but then again, you never are with this band. But you already knew this!

4.0 out of 5 stars New to this band, January 7, 2014
Aspen Shanti (Here. There. And everywhere.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Failed States (MP3 Music)
My husband loves Propagandhi so I purchased this for him. After listening to the album a couple of times, it's really grown on me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Failed States
Failed States by Propagandhi (Audio CD - 2012)