5.0 out of 5 stars Use Setbacks to Overcome Your Stalled Thinking
Failing Forward is one of the best stallbusting books I have ever read! It focuses on how to handle our emotions when things aren't matching up to our expectations. Dr. Maxwell identifies dozens of stalls that delay progress for those who are experiencing setbacks in their lives.
Published on April 25, 2000 by Donald Mitchell

Published on August 6, 2008 by J. Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Use Setbacks to Overcome Your Stalled Thinking, April 25, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
While most people see setbacks as a negative, Dr. Maxwell points out that there is an important lesson that we can use to accomplish more in the future. Building on that appropriate and valuable perspective, Failing Forward postulates 15 principles that can help you apply the lesson.
Each chapter covers a separate principle and is filled with self-diagnostic questions, as well as heart-warming examples of how people went from apparent failure towards great success.
The work is very consistent with the philosophy of Anthony Robbins. If you are a Robbins fan, you will find this book to be a good complement to Unleash the Power Within.
I strongly recommend that you read this book, and reread it the next time you are feeling sorry for yourself or have a setback. If you care about others, be prepared to loan your copy to the next person who looks morose after having a problem.
Dr. Maxwell also offers a self-diagnostic test on the book's Web site ([...] I took that test and found it helpful to cement my understanding of the book. I recommend that you do this as well.
Unlike most books about self-improvement that are scaled to a level of sophistication, this book should appeal both to those with lots of experience and education as well as those who have yet to develop those perspectives.
The only people who will be confused will be those who have yet to experience any significant setbacks. They will wonder what all the fuss is about. To fill in that point, progress is seldom smooth. It usually looks more like 1 or 2 steps forward, and them some backward. In essence, we are talking about a zig-zag, even when things go well. At other times, the zig-zag can be downward.

5.0 out of 5 stars An important nook about an important life issue, November 14, 2003
By A Customer
John Maxwell does a marvellous job of helping people to work through failure and move on. I am 53 years old and was recently laid off by an employer who told me that I was the best employee he had. I felt betrayed and would wake up every morning thinking of ways to get even (even though I knew I wouldn't act on them.) I was really hurt and couldn't get over it. A friend of mine suggested I read two books. The first one she recommended was this one and it really helped me to put things into perspective. Instead of moping around the house, I started looking through the papers and making calls to get job interviews. Yes, it got me going! The other book my friend recommended was Optimal Thinking: How To Be Your Best Self which helped me to understand that every situation (even a a situation I don't like) is an opportunity to be my best, and it showed me how to make the most of any situation. With books like these in the world, we never have to be stuck and we can really make the most of our lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent stuff here, January 9, 2001
Maxwell is a former minister and the founder of a company that offers support services to religious organizations. As such, his book's upbeat, you can do it tone may be off-putting to some. But there's some interesting stuff here and the real life examples he uses of people of have learned from failure provide some good hands-on advice. The book is organized into 15 steps that will help us make the most out of a failure. These are designed to help us 'fail forward.' Some of them include: find the benefit in every bad experience; work on the weaknesses that weaken you; change your response to failure by accepting responsibility. There's not a lot of analysis or depth to Maxwell's observations, but there's enough here in the way of examples to ground his practical observations to make this a useful motivational book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good premise, strong beginning and ending, but weak in the middle, August 6, 2008
J. Harrison (Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
The idea behind this book is very original and relevant. We all make mistakes and the exploration of how to learn from those and improve ourselves is a noble task. Maxwell begins well with insightful thoughts on what failure is and is not, how success is born out of failure and how to reframe our perception of our failures. Then the book quickly turns to largely extraneous stories and weak supporting points. The book drags on in this vein for some time. It is not until near the end that things pick back up again. The book ends on a strong note, with practical suggestions of how to "fail forward." This book is worth reading, though be prepared to do some skimming in the middle sections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Failure is never final, January 1, 2004
By A Customer
This was is my first book by Maxwell, but it won't be my last. Maxwell mixes scriptures along with success principles and tells us that failure is never final. It's not how many times you fall, it's how many times you get back up and how much you learn from it.
Some people have called this a hookie-pookie superficial feel good book. I strongly disagree, except that I can do more by feeling good than by feeling lousy.
Maxwell is excellent. His words will inspire you but more than that, his words, when followed will instruct you as well.
Outstanding book. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very motivating, August 2, 2000
After a number of recent "failures," I found comfort in John Maxwell's Failing Forward. With fifteen simple steps, Maxwell effectively demonstrates how one can overcome failure and find real success . . . by embracing failure. He shows the reader how there is a bigger picture, and that one must learn from failure. He also teaches that one must de-personalize failure. That can be hard at times, but Maxwell explains that it can be done. Now that I've read this book, I feel more confident in striving to reach my goals . . . even if that means that I encounter failures along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book everyone needs to read, February 22, 2000
Excellent book for young adults as well as old adults! Tremendous advice for all regarding how we all have to learn how to "learn from our mistakes" and "failures" before we can truly succeed. I have had the opportunity to hear Dr. Maxwell speak and his book is just as exciting and thought provoking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plan, Risk, Fail, Re-evaluate, Adjust, Begin again, May 23, 2005
D. McGrath "dmack58" (Canton, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I have had some significant failings in the past that have caused me to make painful yet necessary course corrections.
This book is a good tool to do just that, get back on course, gain perspective on what failure really is and figure out what to do next.

This is the sixth book by John Maxwell I have read and it is his BEST!!
My local library had it on tape, so I picked it up - however I finished it the first time and didn't want to return it, so instead of paying late fees I went out and bought a copy of my own. I think Failing Forward is a MUST have, add it to your collection. I would suggest the audio version because it is so motivational in nature. You will never get tired of listening to it.

I really liked John's concept of 'FORWARD.' It is as follows:

f = Finalize your goal
The goal shapes the plan, the plan shapes the action, the action achieves the results, the results bring the success

o = Order your plans

r = Risk failing by taking action
planning alone will not bring success
nothing of value is ever achieved without risk

w = Welcome mistakes

a = Advanced based on character

r = Re-evaluate your progress continuously

d = Develop new strategies to succeed

I would like to also mention that the final four chapters are the most important.

Rating: Strong Buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones...., March 22, 2000
John (Weatogue, Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
Having read several of this author's previous books I lookedforward to this one with great anticipation: it is even better thanexpected! Maxwell's thesis is that "The difference between those who are successful and those who are not lies in their perception of, and their response to, failure." He builds his case in a very convincing series of fifteen steps. At the end of each step (chapter) all of the preceding steps are relisted: I found this very helpful!
No matter what your age, sex or occupation, this book will open your eyes. Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - The only words that come to my mind, April 12, 2000
It has been a truly inspiring and fascinating experience reading this book. I would say this book is more about how to approach life. What came out of this book for me was Failure was only in the mind. Success for the most part is always hard fought. Being dedicated to one's cause/dreams even in times of failure or when nobody believes in you is the true strength of a person. I hope I can hear the author in person some day !

Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success
Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success by John C. Maxwell (Paperback - April 3, 2007)
$16.99 $10.91