5.0 out of 5 stars I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR SOX FANS
As a Detroiter, I am truly happy for Sox Fans...I know how happy we hockey Fans were when the Red Wings won their first Stanley cup in 48 years back in 1997...I can only imagine what sox fans felt waiting over 80 years!

Published on December 3, 2004 by Tim Janson

3.0 out of 5 stars Renew your library card and save the 18 bucks.
I am yet another lifelong sufferer (whoops, former sufferer) of Red Sox Nation. I enjoyed nothing more than seeing the Yankees die the worst death in baseball history.

Published on January 3, 2005 by Redmond Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR SOX FANS, December 3, 2004

I've had the opportunity to meet Stephen King..Oddly enough here in Detroit as he was following his Red Sox on a road trip. We talked for about 15 minutes and he wanted to talk more about the Sox than his books! That was about 15 years ago and he's remained a truly passionate fan.

This book with his daily journal is really a hoot to read. It's kind of cool to see a guy who's a millionaire many tims over agaonizing over his favorite sports team just like the guy on the assembly line in the Ford plant.

King paints a picture filled with hope yet covered with a layer pessimism that only one who has seen so many dashed hopes can ever relate to. The missives back and forth between King and O' Nan, discussing stats and performances like a couple of fan boys was so fun to read. It's serendipitous too that this, the most significant and eventful season in Red Sox history, was the one King and O'Nan happened to chronicle. It had more tortuous (often torturous) story lines and plot points than either novelist could hope to devise - from the team's promising start to its maddening mid-season mediocrity to its overpowering win streak that annihilated the wild-card competition to its monumental post-season comeback.

What a read. Enjoy it Sox fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why we love baseball, December 2, 2004
Bear with me for a second here...I am not really a Red Sox fan. At least, I wasn't until the playoffs. Naturally, being a good American, I rooted for the Sox against the "Evil Empire," and I was worried about them when they were down 0-3. As they began their amazing comeback, I felt myself being swept under their spell and by the time they went into the Series, I had gone out and bought myself a nice "B" ballcap. This book captures all of the joy and magic that the Red Sox gave to ALL baseball fans (except for a few diehard fans of the Yanks and Cards). Let's face it...stories like the Red Sox in '04 are why we love baseball. It's the stuff of legends. Yeah, sure, the overpaid billionaires on the Yankees might win the Series every other year, but all of their victories combined aren't as special as that of the Sox this year. My team didn't make it to the Series this year, but thanks to the Red Sox, I had something to really cheer about. Steven King and Stewart O'Nan provide giddy, partisan commentary that perfectly reflects the hopes, fears, frustrations, and triumphs of this franchise and their fans. I read a pretty hateful review of this book from a Yankee fan who apparently can't handle the truth, but speaking as an * objective * fan of baseball at large, I can tell you that most of the country was pretty thrilled at the Red Sox and their victories, especially over the Yankees. Hey, the Cardnials are a great franchise also, but this was the year of the Sox, and this book gives underdogs everywhere cause to cheer. If you love baseball and great sportswriting, pick it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faithful not just for Red Sox Fans., June 27, 2005
I have been a Red Sox fan as long as I can remember. Moving out of New England years back, I still follow the Sox and ecstatic was not even the word when I saw Foulke throw the ball to first to record the final out. And I got to relieve this memory and more in Faithful. What I loved about the book is not only did it follow the games, it followed the life of two other Sox fans and how it can be all-consuming to be a part of "Red Sox Nation" I loved that even though Stephen King is a famous author he still gets excited by his idols and wants autographs and other memorabilia just like little kids. Being a Sox fan is not easy at times and they showed the angst and anxiety that comes along with the job. But I bet if they had to do it over again, they would not change being a Sox fan for anything. And neither would I.

3.0 out of 5 stars Renew your library card and save the 18 bucks., January 3, 2005

I was really looking forward to the book after hearing during the post-season that Steve and Stewart were working on this book. What a fortuitous year to have chosen for this project (sometimes the stars do align). The problem I have with the book isn't as moronic as the idiots that are whining about "nasty language". Good lord, people, they're real words written by real people expressing real thoughts. Get over it already you prudish dullards.

Nope, my problem with the book is that so much time was dedicated to early games in the season than was put into the most important games of the season (the post-season). You get pitch-by-pitch accounts of games in May, but only a gloss-over of some of the post season wins. Come on, guys, those are the games we really wanted to read about.

I'm giving it 3 stars, though, because you do get a real feel for what it's like to be a fan of the BoSox, but most of all what it's like to be a fan of the game of baseball. For that, Steve and Stewart are to be congratulated. A better editor would have helped greatly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King, afraid?, November 29, 2004
Suzanna C. Nemeth (Morris, Connecticut USA) - See all my reviews
"It's amazing how loud you have to yell at the TV so the players can hear." The amazing thing is that Stephen King was just as scared to watch the Red Sox as the rest of us were this year. Thankfully, this is one of the great baseball books, and I've read most of them, from Bouton to Stengalese. Netman in the Monster Seats, Mr. King's tics, and a double diary format that makes it very tempting to skip to the end to see if they had as tough a time as I did watching the playoffs! This is a must have for any real baseball fan's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, December 12, 2004
Stephen King is more than a horror writer, he has seen horror first hand. He's survived a horrific car accident, but also, he has seen too many Red Sox heartbreaks.

He can remember the days of Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Bucky F-ing Dent, 1986, 1999 and 2003. He and novelist Stewart O'Nan compiled their e-mails, correspondences and personal journal entries for this special book. What was going to be a discussion between two Red Sox fans showing their frustrations over another failed Red Sox campaign became an excellent recap of the 2004 season from Spring Training to the final out of the World Series.

O'Nan and King are excellent writers. Their styles shine brilliantly in their e-mails to one another.

They do not edit their original disgust about manager Terry Francona. They do not hide their frustation over the horrendous June stretch that eventually led to the trade of Nomar Garciaparra.

They can be funny, witty and critical at the same time.

This is not only for Red Sox fans, but baseball fans who follow thier teams as passionately as O'Nan and King.

I highly recommend the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A book about the Red Sox by Stephen King and a Dork, February 20, 2005
For the first 50 pages or so, I forced myself to keep reading "Faithful" just so I could write an Amazon review called "The Worst Book I Have Ever Actually Read", but around Memorial Day in the narrative, the actual events of the 2004 season become so compelling I started to actually enjoy reading the book.

Stephen King's contributions are not bad and sometimes really entertaining. I have never read any of his work before and after having read Faithful I would consider reading more of his stuff, but unfortunately he has published so many books I literally wouldn't know where to begin.

Stewart O'Nan's overbearing edits and contributions to the book alternate between boring, embarassing, assinine, annoying, and just plain stupid.

For example, his favorite player is Brian Daubauch (just plain stupid), whom he insists are calling "Dauber" throughout the book (annoying).

He devotes a large chunk of this book to describing how he goes about snaring baseballs in batting practice (boring) and getting innumerable autographs from players and managers (embarassing).

In the second half of the book, he drones on and on about how he suspects that many games are rigged or fixed to create the highest possible fan interest and television ratings (assinine). Why would anyone who thinks that major league baseball is rigged be a fan of the game, much less write a book about it?

Finally, in the closing chapter, he decides to annotate Stephen King's far more interesting text with his own boring, assinine, embarrasing, annoying and stupid footnotes.

For the most part, Red Sox fans will find Stewart O'Nan's contributions to "Faithful" to be infuriating. On the other hand, if you are a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, like Stewart O'Nan, you may find his references to National League players like Roberto Clemente illuminating.

If you were lucky enough to have written your own diary of the 2004 Red Sox season, you have no need to buy or read this book. In fact, the rest of us would appreciate it if you were to find a publisher.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a glance, but not excellent, February 8, 2005
JimjamKrotz (San Marcos, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I am a passing Red Sox fan. By that I mean, if they are on TV (rarely here in Texas, but it happens), I will make plans to watch the game. And I was happy to see them finally bump the "curse' and win the big one. But the main thing that drew me to this book was not the Red Sox, but Stephen King. I compare King to pizza and beer. His style is friendly and readable, like a good buddies getting together to hash over old times. The bold print is King's and although the subject tends to drag over the course of the book, I always looked forward to reading King's entries. The same can't be said about O'Nan. If King is pizza and beer, O'Nan is bread and water; bland, tasteless and not very appetizing. I could care less how many balls O'Nan cons or cajoles out of the players, his writing style is boring, and does everyone in Red Sox Nation drive an escalade or is O'Nan just hung up on them?

There are plenty of other books out there chronicling the Red Sox victorious season, and probably most of them make for better reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read, July 2, 2005
If you are a Red Sox fan, you should have probably already read this book. Being able to experience the ups and downs of the season all over again was just wild. So many things happened in the beginning of the season that I had compeletely forgotten before reading this book...and just getting the sense of hope loss in what the authors said at some particular points during the season. (There were times when I was shocked that Stephen King continued to contribute on a regular basis.)

I don't know what else to say, but if you haven't picked up this book yet, I recommend you do it right now.

2.0 out of 5 stars How many BP balls did Stewart O'Nan catch today?, January 11, 2005
In what was one of the most unprecedented baseball season in the last century, the storyline for a great book was there for the taking. Unfortunately Steven King and Stewart O'Nan didn't come close to telling the tale. This book was for the most part a post game wrap-up of each nights action, an occasional email discussion between the authors , and O'Nan describing how many foul balls or BP home runs he caught (it seemed like dozens).

If you're really looking for a good review of the season, I'd suggest saving your money and getting the NESN DVD (not the MLB one). Stick to the horror SK... - EH

Faithful - Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle The Historic 2004 Season