on March 17, 2011
I have been a fake tanner for about seven years now religiously . I have used everything from drug store brands (young rookie mistake) to going to a salon and getting a professional to spray me down (would never go to a machine booth) and EVERYTHING in between .

Fake Bake the brand is amazing . VERY FAST free shipping , pleasant customer service and comes with gloves . for the past year Fake Bake has been my only brand of self tanner i have purchased because i thought i had found what works best . I consider myself a "professional" fake tanner soooo I thought i would share my experiences with each of their products because ive tried them all several times .

One thing ive learned over the years NO MATTER WHAT brand or form you use there are going to be SOME undesirable qualities about EVERY self tanner . after all its fake tan . period . it comes with the territory .

1. ALL tanners have SOME funky smell to them . obviously everyone favors different scents but all self tanners smell like a chemical with some fragrance thats trying to mask the chemical smell . some are less abrassive than others but lets face it they dont smell like perfume .

2. EVERY tanner ive ever used has rubbed off on the inside of my clothing in one way or another . I cant wear white in the summer because if you sweat it gets wet and starts to seap into your clothes . Sheets too . over the years ive always had dark sheets because it just rubs off when you sleep .
SIDE NOTE . I like the deepest darkest tan I can get sooooo i put it on in the morning and/or when i am going somewhere meaning i do not put it on let it sit then take a shower BECAUSE the deep tan color washes off .

ALL Fake Bake products have a color guide so you can see where you are applying it and then it washes off once you get wet or take a shower . If you are wearing dark colors and arnt planning on getting wet you can put it on in the morning and will have a DEEP BROWN tan all day that looks amazing . NONE of Fake Bake products make you orange . the color is the BEST color ive gotten so far .

GEL : very difficult to put on but has the BEST DEEPEST color out of all products . always wear gloves but since its gel you have to work very quickly because it dries in seconds . it is also very splotchy if you dont move fast and you try to over lap it . i recomend having a lotion on had to "blend" the splotchy spots because you will have them with this product . also dont rub too much the more you rub the more it starts to get flaky and splotchy .
(if you want to be "black tan" id recomend this product but only to a professional self tanner . smell is decent . dries in seconds)

LOTION : all around a great product . the lotion is much easier to apply because its a lotion . it takes a bit to dry and i actually somewhat greasy which i dont like . the color is brown but not as tan as the gel . a decent color for pale skin . if you would like a deeper tan id recomend using this everyday to build your tan . this product i do use at night and sleep on it (still dont shower untill im ready for it to wash off) but its just too greasy to put your clothes on right away . smell is weird . not my fav at all .

MOOSE : very easy to apply . the easiest yet . BUT very pale color . not a deep tan just a hint of color . AND is greasy as well . would not recomend

ARISOLE SPRAY TAN : love this product but i use it over the gel to somewhat "hide" any imperfections with my application . i did have complaints about this product tho because i ordered it TWICE and both times my spray nozel was broken after like one use . i dont know what happened . sooooo . i stopped ordering spray from Fake Bake and started usuing Mystic Spray . more expensive but works better . if you use the spray alone on pale skin the color is not that tan . again just medium color .

BRONZE GLOW : love this product . if you order it off the website it usually comes free with some orders but i love it . its just a tented bronzer . makes you medium tan and is shiny . use it on my neck bones and cheeks & legs . it washes right off too but its great while it lasts .

hope this helps . good luck with your fake tan experiences .
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really love this product! I'm really pale, and I don't tan at all. I found that I can get a really natural looking result using this product. It isn't orange at all!

Understand that the product contains two agents: an instant color that shows you where the product is going and gives you a nice instant tan and the tanning agent which develops over several hours. Due to this, I offer a few tips for pale gals like me:

-exfoliate as directed before every use
-put it on at night and let it develop overnight
-I use a really high quality organic lotion and use one squirt of lotion to one pump of tanner. I find that it smooths out the application which dries quickly. Mix them together in your gloved hands and smooth over until the lotion is absorbed, leaving a nice streak-free tan.
-If you're really pale, don't freak out about how dark you become. The initial tan is just to show you where the tanning chemical is going; it washes off with your first shower, leaving a nice even, subtle tan. Just give it several hours to work.
-It does take a while to dry, but my boyfriend doesn't seem to mind me walking around the house in the buff for 20 minutes. ;)
on March 7, 2012
This product delivers a very even tan with nice color - it wasn't orange on me at all. With one application, I look like I've been in a tanning bed 3 or 4 times (and it is so much kinder to the skin!). I took the advice of other reviewers and exfoliated in the shower then applied a good shea butter moisturizer prior to applying the gel, putting extra moisturizer on hands, feet, knees and elbows. Because of the bronze color guide, it really looks like you are dark after applying the tanning gel. The next morning after I showered, I saw that a good deal of the color had washed off, but I had a nice even light tan in its place. I'm going to try applying again tonight to get one shade darker, hopefully, then maintain it weekly. I even used it on my face (again, after applying a light moisturizer) and had good results. The smell isn't that bad - all self tanners have a certain smell, but this one is relatively mild.

Fake Bake, like all self tanners, does take some time to apply correctly and let dry. In my opinion, it's worth the time investment to have a natural looking tan and not get skin cancer from tanning beds or direct sunlight. My dermatologist will be so proud of me. :-)

Just take my advice and buy this online. I bought it at Ulta and it costs a LOT more. The only reason I did that is because if you don't like a product, you can take it back. Now that I know I like it, I'll buy it on Amazon.com when I need a refill.

***UPDATE***

After applying the gel again last night and showering this morning, I can detect no discernable darkening of the initial light tan color. I think all you can expect from this product is a very light, subtle tan. (At least that is all it does for me - it may work better for others.) Because of this, I downgraded my review from 4 stars to 3. I think this product is best used as a one-time bronzer and not a self tanning product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2014
I've bought the fake bake xtreme gel before and it came in a silver tube. It worked great for me and gave me beautiful dark color. Now I ordered again through lucky girl and the product came in a white tube not silver. The product is horrible. Very blotchy and doesn't get me nearly as dark as the silver tube did. And they both are the same thing just different tube. I talked to fake bake and they said they don't sell fake bake xtreme gel in a white tube only silver. So I believe I got a fake knock off product. Very disappointing. I would recommend everyone make sure they are buying the tube that's SILVER not white. Hopefully lucky girl will resolve this issue for me. Thank you and Goodluck everyone.
on July 29, 2007
I had some stretch marks and I do NOT want more sun damage. This product was recommended to me from forums. I first used the dermshed emuscar kit to help remove stretch marks and firm skin, then the fake bake xtreme. I wish I had a photo to show you the improvements in my skin and scars. These three things together has improved my self image and I feel good in a bathing suit again!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Now here is the reason for the *4* stars...this gel is VERY hard to apply. It is very dark, and if not applied correctly, you will end up streaked. I use the scrubs that are recommended (not a high dollar brand though) the dead skin cells have to come off for this/any tanner to give good results. But, it's well worth it, the color lasts for days (stay moisturized!!!). If FB would just make it a little less dark with the "bronzing" part--because it really ends up making a almost black tint until you shower that off. I mix two tanners together some times to help with the application. This bottle will last all summer however, a tiny bit goes a LONG way. Try it, keep experimenting, I promise you will look like you've been to Tahiti!!!
on June 24, 2013
I love this product. I have been a sunless tanner junkie for the past 6 years and I must say this is the ONLY tanner that can get your color next to as dark as a spray tan. I am naturally Casper-white and people cannot believe my natural skin tone with this stuff. The only downside to this product is that the consistency of it is fairly thick, so I just mix it with a little bit of lotion and it goes on great! This product makes you SO DARK and it is nice it makes you dark instantly! A lot of color washes off in the shower and you are not as dark when you apply it, (I've found this with spray tans too) but that may not be a problem if you are not wanting to go as dark as I do. If you do want to go REALLY DARK all the time, I just shower at night and then put the lotion on and wear it all the next day and not showering again until the evening. It doesn't leave you smelling weird after it sets in. Not a lot of the bronzing color transfers onto clothes too bad (as compared to other sunless tanners) so I don't worry about my clothes after I put it on. It dries super quick and does not leave you oily. The color is amazing, never orange, always brown. I will definitely be buying this all the time!
on June 6, 2012
Before the Xtreme gel, I'd been using Fake Bake Flawless (best product you'll find out there). I was looking for a deeper tan, and became curious to try the Fake Bake Xtreme, thinking it would work just as well as Flawless. To my dismay, it was by far, the worst tanning product I have ever worked with. It dries too quickly, it leaves uneven streaks, and it is so hard to apply!

So I thought and experimented. I saw that both Flawless and Xtreme had "water" as its first ingredient, as well as other similar ingredients. However, the Flawless was a highly aqueous mixture, and the Xtreme was a syrupy consistency. The Xtreme product is meant to give the deepest, darkest tan, and it's consistency made me conclude the product must be a concentrated mixture with less percentage of water.

I thought most of the issues of the Xtreme product may be due to its concentrated, fast-drying consistency. I put some of the syrupy mixture into my old Fake Bake Flawless spray bottle, added some distilled non-ionized water. By adding water, I lengthened the drying process and thereby reduced uneven streaking. I didn't come up with an exact ratio how to do this, but I kept the mixture more aqueous to avoid stopping up the spray. The more you dilute the product, the lighter the resulting tan will be. After my successful experiment, I've been using the Xtreme gel to refill my Flawless spray bottle. It works just as well as Flawless does! And I feel I may have saved some money :)

When doing any of this to get the BEST tan: 1. Shower and exfoliate. Don't put on deodorant or face moisturizer with spf (you'll orange yourself) 2. ALWAYS use a tanning mitt. This ensures the most even of tans. 3. After 4-6 hours, shower and moisturize! Moisturizing ensures your tan will last longer, and not shed unevenly. 4. Try to avoid face cleansers with Alpha- or Beta-Hydroxy Acids (AHAs or BHAs), this includes salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and lactic acid. It will strip the tanner off faster. However, I do use these cleansers (they're amazing for evening skin tone and reducing wrinkles)... I just reapply tanner on my face more often to counter their effects.

Good luck and have fun with self-tanning! Much safer than tanning beds... it doesn't prematurely age you (I've met other 25 year olds who already have wrinkles and enlarged pores). I also find putting on self tanner is like wearing foundation... it evens your skin tone, meaning less make up and possibly less ensuing acne from its use!
on March 16, 2014
If you want to be very, very dark, this will do the job. I am a medium, yellow-based skin tone and this made me the darkest tan I've ever been. It actually made me realize that there is such a thing as too dark, at least on me. lol
I prefer using the regular Fake Bake for a natural medium tan.
on December 21, 2010
This self tanner is amazing. I use it once a week to maintain a healthy glow. I apply at night before bed, after a shower. In the morning, I rinse off and I have a great glow without looking orange or having to deal with harmful tanning bed rays. One bottle lasted me a year.