5.0 out of 5 stars The Full Range Of Science
Published on August 7, 2012 by Brookfield Brian

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply unfunny, but don't take my word for it...
I got this book thinking that it might be as good as some of the Annals of Improbable Research (AIR) Ignobel prize round-ups and some of the other outstandingly funny science books that have been written.

Published on November 4, 2012 by a scientist

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply unfunny, but don't take my word for it..., November 4, 2012
This review is from: Fake Science 101: A Less-Than-Factual Guide to Our Amazing World (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

But no such luck. Instead, it's a fake textbook, split into astronomy, biology, chemistry, earth science, physics, and two other random chapters. In the interests of scientific method, and in response to some of the other comments that reckoned every page was hilarious, here are excerpts taken at random from every 50 pages:

Pg 50: (Astronomy) "Our universe began about 14 billion years ago, give or take 12 billion. It's believed that the universe was packed into a hot dense particle the size of a popcorn kernel, but scientists are almost certain there wasn't any butter."

Pg 100: (Biology) "Moss is a flat plant that covers rocks and land quickly, like slime but soft. New Zealand is covered entirely in this soft, fabric-like plant, which allows its people to travel barefoot wherever they go."

Pg 150: (Chemistry) "We shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight - okay, very funny. Did someone put helium in my microphone?" - Winston Churchill

Pg 200: (Earth Science) "The seasons feed into each other in a weather cycle. They are spring, summer, autumn, and winter, and without the variety of seasons we'd have to appreciate the one we're currently in."

Pg 250: (You're a scientist) [annotated diagram of a scientist] "Shoes are necessary to maintain dignity, but if they are unavailable, you can use some acid to give your feet some healthy calluses."

Fortunately, the book runs out of pages at 270. If you thought those quotes were even vaguely funny, you should probably buy the book and/or book an operation for a sense of humor bypass. It's all like that which, to be fair, is exactly what it promises in the product description.

There are lavish illustrations throughout, just like a textbook. In short, my opinion is that this is a one-joke book: textbooks can be incorrect. It's a pretty reasonable concept for a book, but it just falls so flat that it's not worth the paper it's printed on. To be even more blunt: I won't be buying any copies, not even for people I don't really like much.

UPDATE:
I may not like this product, but I am trying to write a helpful review. If you don't find this review helpful, please tell me why, so that I can address it in the future. Even if you're the author of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Full Range Of Science, August 7, 2012
Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, and two chapters about science in general make this book a really full and funny overview of science. I read each one on a day and found them surprisingly like a real textbook as we had a major overview of the different science types. Highlights are the scientific facts on the side of each page, so try not to miss them.

Who hasn't wondered why scientists don't wear pants? Now I know that it's ok...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for my teen daughters, but my science coworkers love it also, August 19, 2012
I bought this as a gift for my teen daughters as a gag companion to their Physical Sciences textbook. (They have gotten a real kick out of the book.) My coworkers in the physics department though are pretty impressed with the book as well, and I suspect a few new visitors to the Fake Science blog from those coworkers. Quite funny stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastically, laugh-out-loud-'til-milk-comes-out-your-nose!, July 19, 2012
This is a delightfully brain-tickling, humourously-snarky, enjoyable piece of entertainment. In the same vein as the H.O.W books, but taken to another level. From the giggle-producing headlines to the laugh-snorting science facts and uproarious footnotes, this is a definite treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 11, 2013
leiapico (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I am a middle school science teacher. Since it doesn't have anything super inappropriate in it, it is PERFECT for my students... and me. It's hysterical. I love that it's a fake "textbook" and it makes fun of a lot of traditional "textbook" things. Awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars who says science has to be boring?, October 31, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a funny read for anyone with even a small interest in science. Maybe it will help science students look at their facts in new ways? For most people it will be an enjoyable page turner. Most of the topics are just a page or two it is an easy read for people with short attention spans (or who don't have large blocks of time to devote to reading).

5.0 out of 5 stars Super funny, November 8, 2013
I first saw these posts on Facebook and they were ridiculous. It reminds me of the Stephen Colbert Biography. Really funny and smart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, June 14, 2013
My physics-teacher husband loved this, and so do all our friends. Everyone who peruses the book has to read parts out loud to the rest of the group -- EVERY time the book is opened. So much fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read about it on Slate.com, June 12, 2013
This book is hilarious... a parody along the lines of Jon Stewart's American History "textbook"... if you like science and hilarity you'll like this one :)

5.0 out of 5 stars lives up to the title!, May 21, 2013
Very entertaining, needs to be read in small doses, as not to completely skew your view of the world long term.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fake Science 101: A Less-Than-Factual Guide to Our Amazing World
Fake Science 101: A Less-Than-Factual Guide to Our Amazing World by Phil Edwards (Paperback - August 15, 2012)
$16.95 $13.33