Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2011 11:18:54 AM PDT
Garfield says:
I finished reading the sample and was mildly impressed. Still as the topic is of interest to me, I was on the fence about buying this book till something caught my eye. All the reviews for this book are 5 stars. That is totally fine except that all of them seem to be from people who are very new to reviewing things on amazon. For 5 out of those 8 people who gave it a 5 star, this is a first review. And from what they say, this book looks like the holy grail of getting in to a tech company!

Call me a skeptic but I ain't throwing my money at something that looks like it's trying to drum up some fake publicity.

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 2:11:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2011 9:16:56 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 8:17:57 AM PDT
Gayle L. M. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 4:17:41 PM PDT
kaste says:
You're absolutely right. I've been seeing this happen on a LOT of books recently.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 6:00:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 24, 2012 10:11:36 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 8:40:49 PM PST
kshaver says:
This is very disheartening. I purchased a few books recently after reading such glowing reviews from seemingly experienced reviewers. They've all been 2-3 stars at best. Amazon needs to get control over this situation somehow.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 8:42:01 PM PST
kshaver says:
This is very disheartening. I purchased a few books recently after reading such glowing reviews from seemingly experienced reviewers. They've all been 2-3 stars at best. Amazon needs to get control over this situation somehow.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 12:29:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2012 8:08:01 AM PDT
Gayle L. M. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 3:52:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 17, 2012 12:11:17 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:05:50 AM PDT
AMerint says:
I tried reporting fake reviews to Amazon, and they told me that they didn't violate the terms of service so they could not delete them. I started flagging fake reviews by writing comments and counter reviews, but Amazon started deleting all my comments.

The reviews were one of the main reasons I used Amazon, so now I only use it as a last resort. I don't want to support a company that permits such fraud.

Daniel Dennis, Walter Staes, Valerie Balon, Reggie Brown, Jeremy Jacobs, Jeff Michaels, Emma Garcia, Wanda Larson all write fake reviews.. and there are dozens more just like them.

Book = How to Eat Better by Akili Anbessa = four fake five star reviews

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 8:24:40 AM PDT
Pattywolford says:
AMerit, you are brave. I posted about a particularly blatant use of fake reviews here by one self-published author, whos 5star
feedback is now up to almost 100. When I posted a one star review for her book, I got a nasty personal email from someone with same last name as the author. Also lots of harrassment to all the one and two star reviewers from someone obviously associated with the author. Since my real name is my id here, I removed my previous posts about this book, fearing stalking or worse.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 9:39:50 AM PDT
Amazon User says:
Patricia - How did they figure out your email address?

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 8:27:55 AM PDT
I posted a negative review for a book to counter apparent frauds (several 5 star reviews of a book not yet released--all first-time " reviewers") and Amazon removed it. Obviously, Amazon's role goes beyond "hands-off".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 2:55:55 PM PDT
Gayle L. M. says:
@Carl -- I'd bet there's another reason that Amazon removed the review -- some way in which you violated Amazon's review policy. For example, you're not allowed to comment on other reviews. Or provide external URLs. Or a variety of other things. I suspect that you inadvertently violated their policies, and that's why Amazon removed the review.

From what I've seen, Amazon refuses to remove any reviews, almost regardless of how blatantly fraudulent they are. I had a situation where a reviewer basically said, "this is a good book, but Screw the Recruiter is even better." When you look at Screw the Recruiter's reviewers, you'll see that they leave this same comment on a ton of other books. And that the reviewers for this book also seem to review the same strange set of products (diet pills, diet books, romance novels, etc). It's very blatantly part of a network of fake reviews, but Amazon refused to do anything about it.

There's a number of other cases where I have ample evidence that reviews are fake, but again, Amazon refuses to act. It's pretty terrible. They're overly hands off about reviews, to a fault.

And, by the way, if a product *actually* hasn't been released yet, you can't review it. However, Amazon tends to ship books prior to the publishing date. Amazon ships books as soon as they get them in stock, which is typically a couple weeks before the publishing date. That's why you have reviews posted prior to listed "Publication Date."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 3:46:33 PM PDT
Pattywolford says:
Sadly, the reviews are not just for books. The 5 star reviews are pervasive, for any number of products. I initially joined this discussion because of fraudulent reviews for a self-published book which got over 100 5 star reviews, and which was very poor. Even well known authors don't get such reviews in a short period of time. But, for other products, this is pervasive also. Last night, for example, I was researching the Rasberry Ketones, which was touted on the Dr. Oz show for weight loss. Some products had over 100 5 star reviews with some honest customers calling them out for false reviews, stating the product doesn't work. Honestly, you can almost spot the false reviews, with their headings, and the rhetoric. I used to rely on reviews when purchasing products. That can't be the standard from now on, sadly.

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 10:42:21 PM PDT
knomies says:
I have learned how to spot these fake reviews. They all say they are a verified purchase, which would on the surface allow you to believe they are legitimate. However, if you click the "see all my reviews" link next to their name you will see that nearly 100% of the time that is their only review EVER! If you notice this trend after looking at a few names that's a pretty good red flag.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2015 1:33:34 PM PDT
Bcs sellers could have people purchase their items and write a fake review. They could return the item later or the seller just covers the cost. I think the type that do this are mentally deficient and that's why they can't figure out how to make the fake reviews sound legit. Because their brains are so simplistic, "me, me, me, greed, attention hog.." types. Luckily there are some decent people in the world. But mostly not on Amazon. lol.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Apr 1, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 4, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions