Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on August 8, 2009
From the description on the back cover of this book, I was expecting a light summer romantic read. And that would have been enjoyable enough -- woman with dating issues meets attractive but seemingly unattainable man who ends up seeing more in her than she sees in herself, etc, etc. We've all read books like that and we all enjoy a well written one every once in a while. But "Faking It" goes beyond the genre to something smarter, more sophisticated, something with a little more bite and substance. Andi and Devin are complex characters with an unexpected journey. Lorello's writing is witty and makes for a fun, fast read, but along the way she covers more than romance and sex -- her characters each have fully fleshed out personalities, making sharp observations of their own about everything from art to gender roles to sexual politics. Yes, it's still a great beach book -- you may have trouble putting it down -- but it's a beach book with a brain, and one with characters you care about.

Looking forward to the sequel!
0Comment308 of 316 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2009
When I first dove into Faking It I worried that the premise--Andi Cutrone, a young urbanite takes `love lessons' from a male escort--might be a little too Sex and the City for me. But the weekly lessons surprised me. Instead of sex, they focus on Andi's feeling about herself, her body, her relationships. Somewhere in that tangle of confused emotions every female reader will recognize either the woman she is or the woman she once was.

Then, about a third of the way through the book(yes, I checked the page number)I realized that the weekly lessons, although illuminating and the hook that pulled me in, had become secondary. Instead characters had become paramount. I wondered more about what Andi and her love tutor/platonic friend Devin would do on the other six days of the week. This book could have become an excuse to lurch from love scene to love scene but author Elisa Lorello created believable people that eclipsed their careers(one boring and one naughty). Ultimately, a book that seemed to be about taboo subjects like sex for money was really about something much more prosaic--changes. Changing attitudes. Changing careers. Changing partners.

My biggest round of applause goes out to Lorello for keeping me guessing. Too often books that contain romances follow a predictable formula. We know who the good boyfriend is. We know who the bad boyfriend is. We know who she'll wind up with. The only question mark is what will happen along the way. Faking It kept me guessing until the last page. Really! Thank you Elisa for characters and complex personalities that propelled me to the last page.
77 comments188 of 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2009
A short time into this book I was really taken by Andi. She is someone you know, Got it going professionally but a mess personally. No confidence in herself. Then she works out an arrangement with an escort named Devin. He begins to help her gain some confidence in herself despite not having as much self confidence as he seems to have himself. You really start to root for this girl. You want to tell her to get it together and go after what she wants. She does come close a couple times as things get rolling but she falls short at first. The story really takes you a nice ride from there. A few surprises along the way and a beautiful ending.
22 comments59 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2010
So Disappointed, Stunned, and Cheated

Spoiler Alter: Ending Discussed in Detail

I was looking forward to this book based upon the high ratings it received and intriguing description, but frankly it was a big let down and left me feeling disappointed, stunned and cheated. The author spent two-thirds of the book building a nice relationship between her two main characters: Andi and Devin only to let the relationship sizzle and die. Then she threw in a third character, Sam, at the last minute and expected us to be satisfied with the results. She only spent a few pages trying, unsuccessfully, to build a relationship between Andi and Sam. It was easy to tell that even she knew it was unsuccessful because when Andi finally let down her barriers and was intimate with a man, that man was Devin, not Sam. She had sex with Devin after she was involved with Sam - big red flag! All this did was reignite the only real relationship of the story, but then the author turned around and snuffed out again. What's more is that both Andi and Devin loved each other, admitted that love and were ready to build a lasting relationship. The only thing that got in their way was the author's personal agenda. It was as if she got a 2nd book deal part-way through the writing of this one and so she decided to save Devin for that book instead of matching him with the woman he loves and giving us the ending we were all wanted.

She also spent way too much time going on and on about writing theory and technical skills the average reader would know nothing about. This I could have forgiven, if it had been a good story, since it was clearly Andi's passion. Unfortunately, I felt more like she was lecturing her uneducated masses on the proper way to write instead of really caring about her characters.

I don't recommend this book - find another one where the author cares enough about her characters to give them the love they've worked for and deserve. Faking It
1212 comments89 of 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2011
SPOILER ALERT.
This book is depressing and doesn't have a happy ending as it should if it's in this genre. This book should not be considered a romance. Additionally, the writer spends the bulk of the novel attempting to teach a creative writing class and it comes across as arrogant and condescending. Not a recommended book at all.
11 comment44 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 19, 2010
Wouldn't you think that a book written by a college professor who teaches freshman writing, whose main character is a college professor who teaches freshman writing, would be well written? And yet, Faking It contains a lot of writing errors, revolves around an entirely implausible situation (I mean, okay Andi falls in love with a male escort; what woman in her right mind would fall for a male escort who "escorts" virtually every single woman she knows from work? Talk about a grapevine. Ick.), and lectures the audience into a stupor (do any of us care about modes?). Add to this a general snottiness (oh Andi and Devin are all about literature and art) and a way-too-healthy ego for Andi (Andi teaches Devin to be a "f--g Aristotle" in 7 hour-long classes? Sam falls for this 34-year-old virgin at an academic conference? Puhleeze.), and you have a pretty unbearable read. It obviously works for some people, based on the enthusiastic reviews here, but it didn't strike me as either humorous or interesting.
33 comments32 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 16, 2011
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I hate to sound so harsh, but I hated this book. Mainly, I found the premise just totally unbelievable. I just did not buy the idea that an educated woman would engaged a male escort to teach her the art of seduction....perhaps it's not the premise that is so absurd, but how quickly things progressed. Really, after two meetings, I can't imagine the events of the first 1-2 lessons actually taking place. It's hard to be more specific with adding any spoilers. Also, the dialogue drove me crazy. The main characters would be having a somewhat profound conversation and then it would be ruined by one of them saying something like "Ya know what I mean?" About 50 Ya's scattered throughout the book. Also, Andi's big revelation about her past also needed a little more development. It's like the author felt she needed to write a tiny novella instead of a well paced novel.

I am shocked that this book is part of the Amazon Encore series. It definitely does not deserve a second chance.

Ya know?
11 comment21 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2011
I wanted to like this book and perhaps if the ending had made sense I would have let all the other things slide.

1) All too much time spent on the minutae of writing -it just was not enjoyable to read.

2.) They build up that Devin wants to talk to Andi because she seems interesting. Which was odd to be because as I was reading about her I didn't find her that interesting. IMO when guys notice a woman as they walk into a cocktail party it isn't because they are interesting. They needed to give us something to hold on belief wise there.

3.) Devin doesn't just know about sex or being charming -noo he is also able to articulate what's missing and what will fix the problems in 7 short weeks. I mean I know it is fiction but a drop dead gorgeous guy, that happens to be smart, and nice happens to be self aware enough to facilitate a sexual awakening of someone he doesn't even know that well??

4) 7 weeks turns him into Aristotle? Really?

5) We actually see Devin and Andie's relationship develop -not just what is said -stuff they do, how they react to each other etc. Other relationships in the book are pretty much developed over e-mail -sort of forced feeding us the "perfectness" of Beau #2. We like him because we are supposed to but not because he's any character that we've actually come to know and love.

6) Devin is an escort that has NEVER crossed the line and gone all the way. So he's sort of a bad boy -but not really. It seemed disingenuous to me but I thought that was to facilitate the story but considering the ending -I'm not sure why that part was necessary.

7) 80% of the book building up unresolved sexual tension and then a cheap literary device to create vulnerability to make the big even happen and that event is over in half a page with no real payback for the previous 80% on the UST.

I did really like Devin, and Andi grew on me -the rest of the characters seemed 100% throw away. Some of the dialogue at the end between Andi and Devin was amazing, but the ending was 100% horrible.
on January 6, 2011
Seriously?

I read this book wanting to like it, really. I gave it the benefit of the doubt each time I picked it up and opened it up again. Still- no cigar.

Honestly, what bothered me most about this book wasn't the poor writing or the unrealistic premise. It wasn't even the melodramatic character development the lead, Andi, underwent. What made this a difficult read for me is that it proved to be another story about a dull, self-deprecating woman finding "love" out of her league. It hit me- just like Twilight (from which I've only read thirty pages or so, but that is justified), the narrator served as just a hollow placeholder for all of the women readers to project their personalities onto.

The book tells the story of escort Devin, who is described as an "Adonis" no more than every time the author is able to, and Andi, a remarkable and intelligent young woman with a personality that jumps off the pages. NOT REALLY- Andi is plain, overweight, and has so many hang-ups that, paired with low self-esteem, make her seem whiney and obnoxious. Of course, she is immediately attracted to the least within-reach, most attractive man in her vicinity. More unbelievably, the Adonis becomes attracted to her eventually and ultimately, everything comes together when POW she meets her perfect man and has to choose between Perfect #1 and Perfect #2.

Stories like this only contribute to the warped views so many of our women have on love, commitment, and life decisions. I'm sorry, but it is no more healthy to show an unrealistic relationship than to show an abusive one. There are wonderful, wonderful men out there- it's true- but forming a great relationship with one takes work and even a little bit of awkwardness. Moreover, we must make it clear that it isn't attractive to be a woman tortured with low self-esteem and who is buried in past events.

NOTE TO AUTHOR: If you want to convince a reader that your heroine is so amazing everyone falls for her, then you need to make it easy for the reader to fall in love with her, first.
on July 22, 2011
I should have known from book description that I wouldn't like it. I'm not saying I expected a piece of literary genius, I was just looking for a light, fun read for the beach. Even though I had doubts looking at the description, I saw that it had gotten quite a few good reviews, so I went against my judgment and bought it. The whole "arrangement" the two main characters had set up was implausible, it really made no sense to me that an escort would give her lessons in exchange for writing classes when at the time, he didn't really have anything to gain from it. Overall, it just was so clearly what she thinks women want in a guy (a devastatingly handsome man that thinks that all types of women are sexy and can draw the perfect bubble bath) and was so far from reality I just couldn't allow myself to suspend belief enough to enjoy it.