Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fallen
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 28, 2011
Take a look at the cover. Look at it. Do you see that lady covering her face with her hands? That's me after reading this book. Why? Why did I read this book? I AM FILLED WITH SHAME AND REGRET.

Again, we have another *Twilight* clone, but this book makes *Twilight* look like the Great American Novel. Reading this book is like entering a kind of prison where you are forced to hear every inane thought of the most shallow, dimmest girl in the world. Actually, it's not *like* that. It IS that. Luce, our heroine, has been sent to a reform school because a boy, like, spontaneously combusted at her fancy boarding school, and she was the only witness, so the police think she was somehow involved. *Fallen* follows Luce's year at this reform school, wherein she carefully examines the cuteness and dateability factor of every boy she encounters. Of course there's a *dark, tortured* guy who immediately attracts her attention. He flips her off when he catches her looking at him, so naturally she instantly falls for him. In fact, she becomes creepily stalkerish, using her one sort-of friend to steal his school file so she can learn more about him.

The pacing is abominable. We get more than 300 pages of nothing but "OMG he's cute, does he like me? Why doesn't he like me? Oh there's another cute boy! Is he cuter than Daniel? I don't know! Oh, what shall I do? Oh no, another boy caught on fire!" We are mired in boy-crazy teenage-girl minutiae and Luce's increasingly bad decisions. Then the final 30 or so pages are filled with many WHAT THE WHAT moments, hugely telegraphed plot points, and jam-packed with mysteries with no explanations only as an excuse to continue this drivel through not one, but two more books. Oh, we do get one explanation--a total "secret villain spends three or four pages talking about his/her diabolical plan and recapping everything [nothing] that has happened in the book so far" maneuver--but we wish we hadn't.

In addition, are we supposed to swoon over Daniel because he's broody and a bad boy? Not to spoil what happens in the book (since so very little happens), but given what Daniel knows about Luce and him and the history of them together, he is exceptionally selfish, or stupid, or both.

The writing itself is laughably bad. My favorite bad line might be: "Luce could hear the squish of her own mortification as all of Sword & Cross got its viewing of the meat-loaf-coated new girl." Yes, you read that correctly: THE SQUISH OF HER OWN MORTIFICATION.

I realize this book falls under "paranormal romance," but pretty much nothing in this book is believable.

And now let me once again mimic the cover image of this book, by hiding my face in my hands. Do you hear that sound? That's the squish of my mortification.
1010 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2010
Quick & Dirty: Ultimately this tale isn't captivating and lacks a real villain.

Opening Sentence: Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.

The Review:

Marketing almost sold me on this book, but the book itself couldn't close the deal. With a beautiful cover, the promise of a tragic love story, a creepy, gothic boarding school setting, and fallen angels, I expected a compelling read. Unfortunately, Fallen is a disappointment.

Fallen's protagonist, Luce, is a suspected arsonist, and claims that she's constantly stalked by malevolent shadows. Her parents, at their breaking point, send her to Sword & Cross, a boarding school. Once at Sword & Cross, Luce battles the typical "new girl" problems and immediately catches the eye of two hot guys at the school. She finds herself drawn to the mysterious Daniel and is determined to find out more about him and his past.

Fallen is a flawed novel and I had to struggle to finish. Fallen was crafted in such a way as to make the story predictable and ultimately doing little to keep the reader engaged. I knew Fallen was a series so I didn't expect the overall story arc to unfold at a breakneck pace, but I did expect something to actually happen. The pacing of the story is slow with little to no action. In my opinion, a lot of the chapters that were written really didn't do much to move the plot forward.

I think the most damning aspect for me is the author's inversion of the Show vs. Tell concept. Meaning, Ms. Kate did more telling than showing me what I needed as a reader. Daniel and Luce are supposed to have this amazing connection and be hopelessly in love, yet none of this is shown to the reader. Ms. Kate didn't establish enough background about Daniel and Luce's relationship to make this a believable or particularly compelling love story. I never established an emotional connection with the characters and their plights simply didn't resonate with me. The dialog was flat and character descriptions were inconsistent. There wasn't enough worldbuilding and as a result the story suffered.

My second gripe concerns the lack of characterization. The difficulty in writing immortal/supernatural characters for a sophisticated audience is that you have to respect their reality. For an immortal character, Daniel certainly lacks imagination, maturity, skill and purpose. His brooding and skulking around didn't make me believe that he was dangerous or a bad boy for that matter. Luce came off as a creepy stalker, pathetic, naïve, weak, and at times really annoying. The narrative voices of the secondary characters aren't particularly unique. With no real character development and growth, it was hard to care about them. I'm not sure if I will invest the time to read the second book in the series, Torment, because Fallen did not grab me.

Overall, Fallen falls prey to clichés. It's all buildup with no climax, and that left me more frustrated than satisfied. Ms. Kate seems to have left key elements of the story for later installments, and a bevy of plot devices weakened the story. With little depth to the characters or plot, I fear some seasoned and savvy readers of the genre will have a hard time falling for Fallen.

Notable Scene:

She looked up into a maelstrom of shadows. A spectrum of shades of gray and deepest black. She should only be able to see as far as the ceiling overhead, but the shadows seemed somehow to extend beyond its limits. Into a strange and hidden sky. They were all tangled up in each other, and yet they were distinct.

FTC Advisory: I purchased a copy of this book. In addition, I don't receive affiliate fees for anything purchased via links from my site.
5656 comments| 340 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Karin Slaughter has been entertaining her fans with exciting thrillers with ten novels to her name. One of the reasons that she is so well thought of is that she describes her characters in a way that makes the reader want to know more.

Faith Mitchell shows that she's got the same problems as many parents. She has an infant being watched by her mother and must get home to pick up the child.

Her mother, Evelyn, a retired police commander, is watching Faith's four-month-old dauther, Emma. Faith has been through countless training exercises but when she sees a bloody handprint on her mother's door, she goes into another gear.

After Faith calls for backup, she senses that her mother is in danger and decides not to wait. She enters the home and finds one man deceased, then she confronts two others. There is a deadly encounter at this point that is most visual, as if the reader were watching the action taking place before them.

Will Trent is Faith's partner. Amanda Wagner is his boss and Evelyn's best friend. They lead the investigation and we learn that Evelyn was the commander of a narcotics division prior to her retirement. There was a situation within her unit and due to the legal implications, Evelyn took an early retirment.

The story deals with the loyalty Will and Amanda have for their friend Evelyn. The evidence seems to show that there may be a problem with Evelyn's background but her friends remain strong in their belief of her.

There is also an interesting subplot as Will and Dr. Sara Linton spend time together and form a romantic relationship. We also see Faith wanting to do everything that she can to save her mother and so she begins her own investigation.

The story moves along swiftly and with an inventive plot, knock out characters and a fascinating conclusion, this makes for an engrossing read.
4545 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2010
WARNING: SPOILERS. Not that you wouldn't figure them out yourself in a few pages, but hey, fair warning:

Wow, so with the vast difference in opinions I'm seeing in reviews of this book, I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. I almost didn't read it, because of the negative reviews I saw, but I'm glad I did. Now there seem to be more positive than negative comments, but maybe I just misread the number of negatives the first time because I read them on my phone instead of a computer screen. Anyway, I liked FALLEN.

There were problems with this book. I'm not denying that. Most of the time Luce is searching for answers, but she really isn't figuring much out. The readers have pretty much figured out by halfway through, at least, that Daniel is a fallen angel and may well be among others of his kind at Sword and Cross. I mean, if the title wasn't a dead give away, there's the Paradise Lost references, and the whole "Los Angeles" thing. Coincidence? I think not. So, you're searching for a mystery that you already know the answer to for quite a while. Also, the first chapter let's the audience in on why Daniel might be fighting the relationship. I think that's the main problem: the audience knows WAY more than Luce, so it's easy to be exasperated by her ignorance. I left the book thinking of Luce as being a bit of a wimp compared to her hardcore angel retinue, but after some thought, I realize she braves a supernatural fire to save a friend; she hides the horrors of reform school from her parents to protect them and keep them from worrying; and she races into a cemetary of doom filled with creeptastic shadows and weird pyrotechnics of destruction to go save her boyfriend. Not bad for a human chick surrounded by supernatural beings. Luce turns out to be a pretty strong character, just not absurdly so. That's a good thing to keep in mind when you're annoyed at her for not figuring it out already. After all, she doesn't have an opening chapter or an obvious title to give her brain a hint. The fact remains that when the book reaches the falling action and these great mysteries are revealed, the audience already knows most of what is told to them. The majority of the information we want is left a mystery, to be revealed in a sequel. And that's irritating. However, there are several things keeping this book afloat.

-1) The Writing: actually quite solid. Lauren Kate really built good images of her story with her language.
-2) Romantic plot: this kept the story going. The readers may have figured out the central mystery: angels. But they'll stay to find out what happens between Luce, Daniel, and Cam. Speaking of Cam...
-3) Cam!! Thank goodness for Cam. It's not that I loved Cam as a person. The whole, 'I'm good, evil, back to being kind of good' thing was confusing, but Cam was a bit of a curveball. I didn't want Luce to end up with him, but I wanted to find out who he was and what his role was in all this. Cam is the main reason I will probably read the sequel: in lieu of the angel mystery which is obvious, the mystery of Cam is still beyond my grasp. Which is good. Cam constitutes a major redeeming factor.
-4) I'm really curious where the author is going to take this whole angel thing. Apparently there are good fallen andgels and bad fallen angels in this book, and that's new. I want to know how she's going to spin it...and what Luce's baptism or lack there of has to do with anything.

I believe I saw someone say there was nothing original about this book: that it was all recycled. I can see some parallels: Edward and Bella's whole, "We can't be together. I'll hurt you." dangerous relationship thing is in there. The reincarnation and repeated falling in love is reminiscent of EVERMORE, though, in my opinion, FALLEN does it better. However, a reform school for delinquents and crazies populated by humans and fallen angels? That, to me, seems pretty original.

Overall, I liked the story. Despite some flaws, I enjoyed it. FALLEN was pretty well written, and it kept me reading. I really wanted to find out what happens, and I still do. I guess I'll just have to wait for the sequel.
55 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 30, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Disclaimer: Reviewer received a free copy of this book from Amazon Vine in exchange for an honest review.

Fallen, by Karin Slaughter, is the latest book in her series following Dr. Sara Linton and GBI Investigator, Will Trent. In this book, GBI Investigator Faith Mitchell arrives at her mother's house after work to pick up her baby daughter, only to find her daughter locked in the tool shed, her mother missing, and several gang members occupying her mother's house, which soon turns into a bloody battlefield. The action continues as Faith's formidable boss, Amanda Wagner, arrives and butts head with the Atlanta Police Department over jurisdiction. Amanda and Will pursue their investigation, as do the Atlanta Police Department, and Faith tries to pursue her own investigation and find her mother while keeping her son and daughter safe.

The mystery plot is confusing, often hard to follow, and reaches back to Will Trent's early years when he investigated Faith's mother for corruption and arrested many of the men in her squad. The book is peppered with an array of former police officers who have been or still are imprisoned, and a conglomeration of gang members. As always, Amanda knows more than she's telling but Will chafes more than usual under her manipulation of him and the people around him.

The mystery, really didn't hold my attention much-- there were just too many characters and too many subplots, and I wasn't able to keep track of all of them. What really made this book for me was the byplay between Will and Amanda, Will and Faith, Will and Angie, and Will and Sara. In this book we finally see Will start to take a step forward out of the well of misery, humiliation and sadness that has been his life, and his inner core of pure goodness comes through. What kept me turning the pages was seeing how far Amanda could push him and wondering if he would ever push back.

If you have never read a book in this series before, I would advise you to read some of the other books before you read this one so you can get familiar with the characters. If you are really interested in a plot involving a bunch of former cops and shady gang members and an old investigation about police corruption, this book may not be the one for you. But if you have become as involved in these characters as I have and want to read about a turning point in the development of Will's character, you have to read this book.

(And just as a note, I am racking my brain trying to figure out what the obscene name is that Will wants to call Amanda that rhymes with her own name, but I'm just not getting it!)
VINE VOICEon February 25, 2010
Lauren Kate's debut novel, Fallen, has garnered very mixed reviews, so I wanted to check it out for myself. Unfortunately, I fall into the group that disliked the book. Following on the heels of other recent paranormal romances, FALLEN uses a fallen angel theme. After a devastating fire, Luce is pulled out of her high-achieving prep school and deposited within the rusted gates of Sword and Cross reform school in Georgia. Though plagued by visions of lurking shadows and the unexplained death of her classmate, Luce starts making both friends and enemies and drawing the attention (both good and bad) of two guys. Despite his cold behavior, Luce is inexplicably drawn to Daniel, and she slowly finds herself on a path of discovery about her past and her potentially devastating future.

Author Kate appears to be able to write well, as there are some good moments here and there in the novel. However, these moments were outweighed for me by the clumsy dialogue and forced attempts to create a dismal, southern Gothic atmosphere. While the author tried to create a strong sense of place, the descriptions of the South and the reform school were so filled with contradictions that each setting seemed implausible. Editing was also lacking in the book, and these mistakes pulled me out of the story. Further, character development was very limited. Luce came across as mostly inept and uninspiring, even though we're told she's smart, beautiful, and worthy. The romantic connection between the main characters felt superficial at best. Luce's love for Daniel may have been fated, but I never felt why the two loved each other so desperately. The secondary characters of Gabbe, Arriane, and Cam were more interesting, but they seemed like caricatures at most.

The book's story arc was mostly predictable, and the most interesting components, like Luce's constant hallucinations of shadows, were dismissed casually once they were finally mentioned. We're told the two main characters have a damned love, but it was never explained why. Nor was it ever explained why these angels had fallen and why some were now fighting for good and others for bad. All of these things, including Luce's involvement as a catalyst for events to come, were never explained. It seemed obvious that these questions were left unanswered to set up things for the forthcoming sequels (including Torment), but I feel that readers could still anxiously await the next installment while understanding why it's all linked and all so important.

Combined, these concerns made this book a very unsatisfying read for me, but I'm glad that others enjoyed it so much. In the three coming books, I hope that Kate better develops the connection between characters and that she provides more background about Daniel's and Luce's relationship.
3939 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Karin Slaughter has surprised me in the past with her ability to write thrillers that are not standard, write-by-numbers, predictable stories. She usually has really interesting and nuanced characters who are incredibly unique and likeable, and plots that are anything but run-of-the-mill. Unfortunately, this latest offering seemed to me to fall short of her usual writing prowess.

This book features cop and single mother Faith Mitchell, who comes home from work to find her mother missing and a dead body. As expected this ignites an investigation that quickly derails with way too many characters, subplots, and complications. This would be okay if there was a reward at the end of the story, but there's not. The motivation for most of the criminals in this case is never made clear, and the book has too many half-baked red herrings involving years-old cases.

Overall, I'd probably give this one a pass. I am sure Ms. Slaughter has many excellent stories left in her; this just did not happen to be one of them.
88 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 11, 2009
Have you ever tried to finish a book even though you felt as if your life was slowly fading away as you read the book? Unfortunately this was the case with Lauren Kate's Fallen. Here is yet another supernatural young adult book where the "hero", and I use that term loosely, is a fallen angel. I've come to the conclusion that using fallen angel characters in young adult books just doesn't appeal to me. The problem is that an author will use this fallen angel character as the ultimate bad boy, but one that isn't redeemable or has anything to be proud of. All that matters, and is so important in getting across to young readers, that as long as fallen angel bad boy looks like a god or an Abercrombie model, has a dark demeanor, is rude and at times crude to the lonely, pathetic heroine, it is perfectly acceptable for this to be a believable romance because their love is meant to be! Why is it meant to be? No real reason, just take it at face value and don't ask any questions.

The problem with Fallen is that the action and overall story limps along, much like watching water drip from a kitchen sink. By page one-hundred I was ready to throw in the towel, but I decided to give it another fifty pages. And around page two-hundred I wanted to bang my head against the wall from the sheer boredom I was feeling.

Luce Price is being stalked by shadows that follow her every move. These evil forces have caused Luce a life full of woe where she cannot be considered normal. Her parents have sent her to specialists and given her medication to keep her stable. They think she needs major help and enroll her in boarding schools where she can get the help she so desperately needs. But then over the summer, there is a fire and a young boy is killed and Luce can't explain who or why it started. Now Luce has been enrolled in a new school for her senior year in Savanna, Georgia called the Sword & Cross School where her parents hope the strict rules and being watched by the teachers and the warden like staff will help Luce get better. What Luce walks into is more of a dungeon type place near an old Civil War cemetery and buildings that give off a creepy gothic vibe. The uniform everyone must wear is the color black and the crimes of these unstable students are kept a mystery. Luce is not sure who she can trust because anyone she allows into her life ends up being hurt or killed by the evil entities that stalk her.

The first few days Luce is at Sword & Cross are horrible. Because she's the new kid, she is ridiculed and almost hazed by those students who know how to get around the rules. But soon Luce makes some tentative friendships such as Arriane, a playful but very strange girl who lays claim to Luce and Penn, an orphan who likes to dress in multiple layers of sweaters. Then there is Cam who is very friendly and all too willing to help Luce settle in. Luce is interested in Cam, because he seems to be the only normal on in this asylum type school. But then Luce forms a small crush on another student, Daniel Gregori who is like a golden god with his, "deep golden hair, high cheekbones and almost unblemished look". Daniel keeps his distance and makes sure Luce doesn't get too close by giving her the finger on her first day and making fun of her. Luce can't understand why Daniel seems so disgusted with her. But, something about him calls to her and she must find out why! And still those dark shadows come out of nowhere, searching for a moment when Luce will be weak, where they will have their revenge and steal her soul. And the only one who may be her salvation the one who keeps turning away from her and that is Daniel.

Fallen should have been a dark, on the edge of your seat gothic type mystery romance. Instead, Fallen is a limp, insipid telling that lacked enthusiasm and spirit in every single passage. The feeling of doom and gloom, where I expected thunder and lightening on every page did not deliver in any way. The characters had no personality to recommend, I guess because of the amount of drugs they were given, and the so-called creepy antics that should make you jump and drop your mouth in shock is comparable to fireworks that don't go off the correct way and fizzle out of the sky.

The writing is awkward and the revelations that take so long to get to should deliver but don't. Unfortunately I can't tell you why Luce is so important and why Daniel is the key because I simply didn't care. I couldn't decide if Lauren wanted to make Daniel such an anti-hero to a point where he is so bad, but then wised up because who would sympathize with a character like him? He reminded me more of a hunchback sidekick to an evil scientist in a science fiction B-movie from the amount of times Luce would come in contact with him because he was always off to the side or next to someone who overshadowed him.

Luce's characterization is of a poor girl who has already given up and if she could, would role up into a ball rock back and forth under one of those gravestones with the angel statues on top. I wouldn't blame her if she did because she is stuck in a desperate world where there is no help or exit plan.

I simply cannot find one valid reason to read Fallen. I had this desolate feeling as I read, but for all the wrong reasons.

Katiebabs
6060 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2010
Luce Price (who has a truly annoying family motto I have actively forgotten) accidentally killed someone. Or the shadows that follow her around accidentally got into arson one day. Whatever. It's not like we get any explanation on the shadows that follow her around, so I'm not going to spend more time than I have to on them. Shadows follow her, antagonize her, and, like me, want to set everything around Luce on fire. Because the shadows randomly killed someone and she can't quite recall how it happened, she is sent to reform school.

This is the only strong point of the book, so enjoy it now. Reform school, where the kids are not cuddly and no one dazzles, shimmers, shines, sparkles, or is slightly luminescent. We are escorted around school and Luce stumbles across the heavenly visage of Daniel, reform student with attitude, who is so gorgeous and blond and gorgeous and muscular and gorgeous. Then he flips her off, because she's staring at him and he feels this is appropriate. Luce, weirdly enough, decides he's perfect for her.

The book takes a sharp nose dive right about here. It never recovers. So in lust with this boy who apparently thinks she is crazy/stupid/weak/annoying/creepy/what have you, she begins to stalk him and act like a total loon whenever he interacts with the opposite sex. Daniel, hiding a terrible secret, keeps making really awful attempts to hide this secret while simultaneously treating Luce horribly. He abandons her, ignores her, talks down to her, speaks slowly so she'll comprehend the very short words coming out of his mouth, and then goes and broods about it in a super enticing way so Luce can fall more into lust. Boys who treat you poorly are awesome, clearly.

Meanwhile there's this other guy, Cam, who is devilishly charming if not for the fact that he gets into lots of bar fights in totally random ways. He almost wins Luce over, only because we have to have a love triangle to add tension in a weak story about two people with no chemistry whatsoever who are in magical love based on outer beauty and destiny...or whatever. After many of Luce's questions go unanswered by Daniel because she is apparently too stupid to grasp any explanation, it becomes pretty obvious that most everyone besides Luce is a fallen angel. Specifically, the Grigori, who, legend has it, mated with people and created the Nephilim. This is kind of screamingly obvious, given Daniel's last name is Grigori. Luce, who is self-described as intelligent, takes forever to realize this despite the fact she's been stalking him and internet researching Daniel's name for weeks on end.

Somehow Daniel decides to succumb to the tantalizing awesomeness that is the lust-fueled void of Luce's personality, and all hell breaks loose...not that we see that because Luce is too dumb to realize she's been purposely herded into a closet.

True to the form of these books, surface beauty rules the day. Personality, which Daniel and Luce both lack, isn't important. Not to mention, having a life outside of boys isn't really necessary, right? The whole thing reads like an elementary school saga. If these kids were about eleven, I'd believe their antics. As it is, their emotional depth doesn't match their worldly knowledge, especially in the case of Daniel and Cam, who should be old enough to know better seeing as how they've got to be a few millennia old by now.

Ultimately, Fallen is a dull story trying desperately to cash in on the Twilight phenomenon. Nothing more.
1313 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 18, 2010
After witnessing the horrific death of one of her classmates, Luce Price is forced to leave her old life behind and attend a prison-like boarding school in Savannah, Georgia. Called the Sword & Cross, the school is home to a student body of troubled teens. Cell phones are forbidden. Students are restricted to the same classroom for the entire school day. The dorms may be clean and modernized, but other aspects of the campus are just plain weird. The school's Olympic-size swimming pool, for example, is built in the middle of an old church that still retains its religious decorations and art on the walls. But Luce seems to settle quite comfortably into her new home; within the first few days she has made several friends and attracted the attentions of the two best-looking guys in the class; Daniel of the smoldering violet eyes and Cam of the rock star sensuality. Cam is friendly and sweet, always ready with a gift or a kind word; Daniel is the sort of boy who takes a girl to a lake in the middle of the woods, flirts with her, and then suddenly ditch her. Guess which boy Luce falls for? Both of these mysterious boys are clearly hiding something from her, but Luce has no idea that the supernatural can be found behind every corner at Sword & Cross...

OK.

I'm sorry.

This book? She sucks!

My first rant...Luce Price is supposed to be one smart li'l cookie. At one point she rattles off to Daniel a laundry list of her accomplishments:

"I spent three years on a full academic scholarship at the best college-prep school in the country...I had to petition - petition! - to keep them from wiping out my four-point-oh transcript...I know Latin and French, and in middle school, I won the science fair three years in a row...I also do the Sunday crossword puzzle, sometimes in under an hour."

But Luce can't figure out that Daniel and Cam and, it turns out, half the school are supernatural creatures - specifically, angels and demons - until it is patiently explained to her by Daniel over three-quarters into the book! I mean the author clubs the reader over the head with so much SYMBOLISM and FORESHADOWING that I think Luce must be walking around blindfolded and ears stuffed with cotton to miss the clues. Even after Daniel explains things, Luce can't/won't believe him. In normal circumstances, that'd be understandable. But all her life Luce has seen black shadows that are invisible to others. From the moment she first met Daniel, she felt a strong connection. She has even had prophetic dreams about Daniel and his angel wings. His explanation - which, admittedly, is very poorly explained in some of the most awkward, painful dialogue I've read in years - makes perfect sense! But she refuses to believe him.

Backing up a little bit, the fact that the Big Reveal doesn't take place until the book's nearly over really kills it. I think the author was trying to build up suspense by delaying this, but it's SO obvious that Daniel's an angel that it just aggravates. Also, with these supernatural/paranormal romances most of the entertainment comes in trying to reconcile the 'new world' that the existence of the vampire/angel/werewolf/whatever reveals with the dullness of regular life. But we don't really get to explore this because there's no time left. After the Big Reveal, we move to the Big Fight, Anti-climatic Surprise, and straight through to Blatant Sequel Foreshadowing.

Ugh. Sorry to harp on this again, but it really bugs me that Luce couldn't figure out that Daniel was an angel on her own. She makes Bella Swan look like a friggin' member of MENSA.

The dialogue. It is AWFUL. Conversations are stiff, stilted. The characters themselves are so flat and lacking nuance that I guess their interactions would naturally be dull.

When we finally learn about the angels and demons...we don't learn about them. NOTHING is really explained. I mean, Daniel says again and again that he's 'damned' for his love of Luce...but we don't know why this is. Why are the angels are on earth? Why do these immortal beings disguise themselves as troubled high school students? Why does Luce constantly reincarnate every seventeen years? How does this fit into the Christian mythology - or should I say, mythology of Paradise Lost - that seems to provide the reference material for the story? Why do the angels care that Daniel loves a mortal? Hell, why does Daniel love this mortal? Why does Luce see shadows? What are the shadows? I mean, I've heard of leaving questions unanswered so that you have a lead-in for sequels but this is just bad world-building!

This is a poorly written, badly edited, unoriginal novel. Given that it's a paranormal teen romance, a field currently overpopulated with Twilight-ripoffs and mediocre, rushed stories, that's saying something. DON'T. READ. IT.