4.0 out of 5 stars Safe and effective, but may discolor clothes
I like that this sunscreen is rated one of the least toxic by the Cosmetic Safety Database. Zinc oxide and titanium oxide are considered the safest, most effective materials available for sun protection and this combination of the two, by Fallene Cotz, has the advantage of feeling less slimy than most sunscreens containing these two minerals.

I was somewhat...
Published on July 6, 2008 by J. Fuchs

3.0 out of 5 stars Tint rubs off; won't scrub off, but protects well
The box says this sunscreen dries clear, but it's tinted and the tint rubs off on clothing. (It does wash out in the laundry, but it gets all over clothing). The suncreen never "dried" and was always sticky. I was in Hawaii and the humidity and heat were not that bad and so I was expecting it to be drier on my skin.

It did protect me very well and was extremely...
Published on November 25, 2007 by She Who Shares Home With Pets

3.0 out of 5 stars Tint rubs off; won't scrub off, but protects well, November 25, 2007
This review is from: Fallene Cotz Plus SPF 58 Water Resistant UVB/UVA Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin, 2.5-Ounce Tube (Health and Beauty)

It did protect me very well and was extremely water resistant... and soap resistant... and washcloth resistant. In fact the only way it came off was to get a nylon scrubby and scrub.

I have PMLE (an extreme photosensistivity), and my dermatologist recommened this brand. The lotion did prevent a major out break and was extremely water resistant. So for that, it' gets three stars. However, I found that if I was not going out on a boat or doing hours of water acitivities that the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin (SPF 30 and with 9% Zinc) was just as effective and did not stain. It washed off more easily (but still needed scrubbing).

Becuase this was so effective, I'll try the Clear next time. I did not get the Clear for this trip as it wasn't available on next day shipping in order for me to get this before I left on my trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Safe and effective, but may discolor clothes, July 6, 2008
J. Fuchs "jax76" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I was somewhat dismayed by the fact that the product has a tint to it and my skin is quite fair, but it wasn't noticeable even on my face. The box says that it "dries clear," but that is only partially true. While I couldn't see any visible change in my skin color with it on, the tint did come off onto a white napkin when I wiped my mouth. But the product did a good job protecting my face and neck from tanning and burning for an hour in the summer sun, and even after a full day of wearing it, my skin never felt greasy.

I would definitely order this product again, although I wouldn't use it on my body if I were wearing light colored clothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sunblock Ever!, July 25, 2006
Michelle (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I am in my mid-30s and since I was a teenager I've used well over 20 brands of sunblock, all over SPF 15. Fallene Cotz is the ONLY sunblock I've used that does not irritate my skin, does not feel like a mask, does not cause me to sweat (my skin can breathe!), does not feel greasy, goes on smoothly, provides complete tanning prevention, and is affordable (unlike cosmetic counter sunblocks). I recently switched from Proactiv sunscreen SPF 20 to Cotz. Since Proactiv was developed by dermatologists, I assumed it would be ideal. Not quite. Proactiv left my face feeling like I had on a cellophane mask. It was greasy, and when I began to perspire, it melted. Yuck! Cotz does none of that and I get better tanning prevention! Cotz has a slight beige tint to it which helps since titanium dioxide is white. Just blend evenly over face and neck and forget about it!

My only complaint is that shipping directly from Fallene took over 4 weeks. I would recommend getting it from another shipper or order it early enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST sunscreen for acne-prone skin!, April 14, 2007
I love this sunscreen. I have oily, acne-prone skin, and everything makes me breakout, so when my dermatologist recommended it, I was a little hesitant.

It does NOT cause any spots at all, and the zinc soothes any red spots or irritation I may have.

The light cream color (due to zinc) may not work for all skin colors, but if you continue to smooth it in, it will fade a bit. For me, it evens out my coloring if I dab a bit more on certain areas.

This sunscreen does not feel greasy and it does not melt.

I haven't been able to put sunscreen on the delicate skin around my eyes until I found COTZ; there is no burning at all on sensitive or delicate skin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good ...powerful protection, despite a few drawbacks, June 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like Cotz because it primarily contains two UV-blocking ingredients, and not a lot of extra chemicals, perfumes, or additives. Additionally, I'm amazed at how this can be "clear" - usually, titanium ozide or zinc are an opaque white (the kind lifeguards apply to their noses). But this goes on pretty clear. And it's an extremely effective sunblock, and seems to last a long time, despite sweating (I haven't tried it in water yet).

That being said, there are a few drawbacks. First, it's not really odorless - but it is nearly odorless. I don't really mark them down for that. But do not expect a lotion that smells like baby oil, coconut oil, or traditional suntan lotion.

Second, it does go on clear, but don't touch your skin with white or light-colored clothing.

Third, and probably most important, titanium dioxide is not completely safe for frequent use. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) recently categorized titanium dioxide as a possible carcinogen to humans. That being said, it appears to cause lung cancer more than anything (when inhaled). Even though urine tests will pop positive for titanium dioxide when applied to the skin, the level of carcinogenic properties is unknown for topical applications like this.

So my recommendation would be to use it if you have severe skin/burning problems, use sparingly on those longs days at the beach, but not use too often.

5.0 out of 5 stars saves my skin!, August 19, 2006
B. Terrell (bella vista, AR) - See all my reviews
I am allergic to all other sunscreens and this saves my skin. I just returned from Playa Del Carmen and was the only member of my family with no sunburn even after spending most of my time at the beach!

5.0 out of 5 stars for anyone with melasma or skin being treated with bleach, this is for you, June 22, 2007
bazzgirl (california, usa) - See all my reviews
i have melasma....you can get it from being pregnant (mask of pregnancy), overexposure to sun, age (age spots), or a combination there of. anyhow, i am treating this skin darkening with retin-a and hydroquinone which cannot allow your skin to be exposed to sun at all. enter COTZ......it is the perfect sunblock, and i've tried them all, from ones i've purchased from my dermatologist, to the zinc suggested by the lifeguard. this stuff isn't cheap.....but it's worth every penny to keep your skin safe from the sun. you canactually use your retin-a in the morning to get rid of your wrinkles if you have any, and your acne, and then put the COTZ on top. you won't get any discoloration or dark spots as if usng the retin-a alone. or i can use my Obagi system and use COTZ on top, and get full coverage while still lightening my skin......i'm thrilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passed the Road Test, July 1, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had the perfect chance to test this product under pretty severe conditions last weekend: a three-day bluegrass musical festival in northwest Kentucky, two days of which were spent outdoors from about noon to almost midnight. The festival was held in a county park that offered very little shade to serious fans wanting to listen to the music directly back from center stage. For that reason, I was exposed to direct sunlight (wearing a baseball cap, sunglasses and a shirt with three-quarter length sleeves) for several hours at a time.

I wasn't sure how heavily to apply the sunscreen on the first day and purely by chance I went a little light on a couple of places on my face. My arms, hands, neck and ears got the thickest application - and it showed when I returned to the motel that first night. I could see exactly which spots I either missed entirely or went light on because those places had noticeably reddened even though I didn't feel any pain or "heat" from those spots.

I was more careful to apply the product evenly on the second day and had much better results. I was out in the sun for approximately 12-14 hours over the two days and managed to pick up a little bit of a tan with zero burning. I'm convinced that the product did its job.

My only complaint is that where I sweated most my clothing came away somewhat "stained" by the sunscreen I applied: where my baseball cap touched my forehead and along the collar line of my shirt. Both areas had a "whitish" line from contact with my skin but it is very possible that the "stains" will vanish when the cap and shirt are cleaned.

Overall, I am very happy with Fallene Cotz SPF 58 sunscreen and will use it again. I'm rating it at a 4.0 rather than a 5.0 only because of the way that it came off on my clothing - a problem that may not be all that serious in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sunscreen that is good for Qi., May 30, 2009
Silvia Reid (San Diego, USA) - See all my reviews
I am a holistic healer (Qigong healing [...].) and I am constantly looking for products that are good for Qi flow, therefore promoting good health. We test products in my workshops (Isn't Chi Lovely) and rate them from tested, good, great to awesome. [...]. When a product is rated good, great or awesome, it promotes Qi flow. This is the only sunscreen that is rated awesome. It is so good, it not only prevents me from getting tanned, I feel vibrant wearing it. This is the sunscreen that I recommend to the athletes who train at the Olympic training center. Silvia

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but..., July 4, 2008
B. Niedt (Cherry Hill, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an excellent sunscreen product, especially for sensitive-skin users, as it "Contains Only Titanium and Zinc" - hence the acronymic name. It's also free from sunscreen chemicals and has a high SPF plus UVA/UVB protection. And as an added plus, it's much less greasy than most sunscreens I've used, and goes on smoothly with a fleshtone tint, not the usual greasepaint-white. My family used it on a recent trip to the South Carolina beach and gave it unanimously high marks. Only one caution, and this cost it a star: because of its makeup-like tint, it has a tendency to stain your clothes.