5.0 out of 5 stars Clean fun

Published on February 23, 2011 by BMW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean fun, April 24, 2009
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
I liked this book because it was fun, fresh and clean. I like characters who love to hate each other then finally come together in the end, like in this story. I also thought the high school scene was totally spot on. I'm not much of a Shakespeare fan but I liked the way the story included Romeo and Juliet and also Pride and Prejudice. I recommend this for anyone wanting a read that in not offensive with bad language and too much sex and stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars More like Romeo falling for Juliet!, April 27, 2008
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
So... I picked up this book and I found this amazingly INSANE, awesome story. Basically, this is what I found...
Falling for Romeo is written so you can see the thoughts of the two main characters. John and Jennifer. John and Jenn grew up together living in houses right next door. They were best friends and you couldn't keep them apart until high school came around. Now things have changed. John and Jenn haven't talked and have grown very distant.
Jennifer is the type of girl who doesn't realize she is pretty. She thinks no one likes her and even though she can be shy around some people (not very often though) she definatley has her own opinions. Which are clearly stated in this book.
John, however, use to be the kid who was never noticed and no one ever looked at twice. Until he got a hair cut, toned his body and became the school hottie. Now, every girl drools over him and he has no clue why. Just like Jenn, he has no clue how beautiful he REALLY is. The book starts out on the set of the original play Romeo and Juliet. And who are these two, leading actors? Jenn and John! Jenn has always acted and John just tried out to be with Jenn, even though his friends think he was auditioning on a dare. This whole story takes you through the rehearsals and the off stage romances. Jenn doesn't know John likes her and John doesn't know Jenn likes him. This all must sound really cheesy, but it was a great book!
I read this story in one night exactly. It was insane!!!! I'm surprised I could even describe it in words, it's that good! I think every person should read it! And if you don't like it (yeah right!)... what's the worst that will happen? You put the book down and give it a bad review (yeah right!... again!) I think it was written greatly, so that we could see what each character thought when a major even took place. It didn't leave us wondering if the other person was not to be trusted, or if they felt the same way as our favorite character. I was sad when this book ended.
Well... to stop my babbling, just read the book! =] oh, and check out my other reviews! Thanks!

<3 tAyLoR

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story, poor editing, June 12, 2008
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
This novel follows John and Jennifer's estranged friendship, each character now hoping for something more with the other, during a school production of Romeo and Juliet in which they play the leads. Both are unable to admit their feelings for the other because of their pride and complicated history. The tension between the characters is believable and interesting, and I particularly like how both John and Jennifer's views are expressed so that the reader understands how each of them feel the way they do.

That said, there are a few things that have distracted from the story content wise. One is that I came across the scene in which they are discussing Pride and Prejudice in English class and are debating the issue of "Kitty running away." As far as I know, Kitty never runs away, although Lydia does elope with Wickham.

Also, I read at one point that Katie was John's little sister, and Amber was Jennifer's, but later, Katie is referred to as Jennifer's sister. I am a little confused on this point.

In addition, the frequent and often rather obvious typos (and I don't mind a few, because I know how difficult it is to expunge them from a text) distracted my attention from the story.

All and all I enjoyed the novel, and have no problem with the story itself. (Although I wished the ending could be a little more fleshed out). I just wish someone had given the text the editing job it deserves!

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully boring, February 23, 2011
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
It is not often that I regret reading a book but this was a complete waste of time. There was not one original idea in the whole novel. I mean, I'm honestly at a loss for words here, this is the only book I've ever read where I've closed the cover and literally wondered where the ENTIRE plot went. It is suppose to be a story about two former childhood friends and neighbors who are no longer close but during a school play of "Romeo and Juliet" (where he is Romeo and her Juliet, of course) they 'fall in love'. Sounds okay, right? Except well, nothing happens. The whole novel pretty much takes place at play practice, where the two leads kiss a lot or agonise over having to kiss a lot.

John is is the popular captain of the track team, and on multiple occasions the entire school chants his name for no apparent reason. It came across as shallow and frivolous since it is never even hinted at how it came to be this way. He rules the school, alone, he isn't part of the popular crowd he just IS the popular crowd. It is hinted that he once wasn't so popular but we don't hear anything about that. He has problems at home but those aren't handled very well and contributed very little to the quality of the plot.

Jennifer has no personality AT ALL. She spends her time worrying over her lack of kissing skills and trying to figure out ways to get the best of John. Other than he being completely dumb and clueless (two words: kissing lessons) not to mention vindictive, we know very little of her personality.

We are never told what happened between to two and why they are no longer close. They both might as well have been cut from card board with cookie cutters. And all of the side characters are the same. Bland, stereotypical, and zero personalty.

It was an insult to Shakespeare and Jane Austen (and fans of either, in my opinion) to drag their works of art in to this mess of a book. Honestly, there is not one redeeming quality I can come up with for this story. I'm just glad I checked it out at the library and didn't waste my money on it, but I did waste valuable reading time that I could have been spending on a novel of more substance. And by more substance I mean an actual plot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a STORY written by a high-schooler at best, April 26, 2010
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
I wanted to like the book, I really did. After seeing the outstanding reviews that were posted here on Amazon.com, I was excited that I finally got my hands on a copy of the book.

First of all, I'm not going to talk substance yet, but there were a lot of typos. Jennifer was named "ennifer" once and there were numerous periods and other punctuations missing. Usually, I'm not hard on typos, but the substance of the book leaves me bitter.

I feel like the book robbed me of a story. Laurens throws two characters at you: Jennifer and John. I wanted to like Jennifer. I wanted to like John. I did not like either of them. Jennifer was too "miss-goody-two-shoes" and kept wanting to one-up John. John was too "Mr. Right" and "Mr. Perfect" that it was hard for me to view him as an actual 3D character.

Now, the plot. Laurens tells us that they once were friends and now they are no more. WHY? I spent the entire story wondering why they weren't friends. The chemistry in the book was not there. Rather than chemistry, there were only hormones.

AND the synopsis on the back is extremely misleading. Jennifer is supposed to have her first kiss on stage with John, but after her first kiss in the FIRST TWO PAGES, she's automatically a pro at kissing (even better than Mr. Football-Star who has kissed a million girls). UNLIKELY!

I could probably go on about why I hated this book. Now, usually I'll like just about any cute, young adult romance book. But this... was not cute at all. I wanted to roll my eyes at the characters. I really had to force myself to finish this book.

Please, please, please don't waste your time on this book. If you're adamant on reading this, BORROW IT and don't waste your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative twist on love nextdoor, June 10, 2009
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
This book takes a fun look at the whole boy-next-door romance thing. I liked the relationship between John and Jennifer, there was nothing feigned about it. Even though the book was written in omniscient POV, and not first person like most YA books, I liked the peek into John's head. I like seeing a guy's perspective and not just the girl character's perspective. Laurens' portrays teenage pride well here, and I like how it's threaded with the characters reading Pride and Prejudice in school. John's character has some nice issues to work out like a perfectionist attitude born of controlling parents.
Overall, a fun, light, yet fresh read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just borrow it, July 27, 2010
Agatha Alice "Book Mom" (Rocky Mountains, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
Beyond the poor grammar, spelling, and editing, there are still plenty of problems with this book. I'm not sure it's even up to an 8th grade reading level and there is no challenging vocabulary or emotional content. As other reviewers have stated, the question of how these two best friends came to fall apart was never disclosed, so any exploration of that common childhood problem was lost. Other relationships are creaking in the background leaving questions the author hints at but never brings to light: John and Mitchell Michaels (the names will drive you crazy) and Jennifer and her siblings to name two. We get more explanation about the history teacher than about John's father and that whole scenario. It's a disjointed review about a disjointed book. The only positive thing I can say is that the author seems to know her Romeo and Juliet. She certainly does NOT know Pride and Prejudice. Does she think Lydia went off with Henry VIII? He's the only brawny, titled Englishman I could think of when that line went by. I sent the book to the thrift shop yesterday, the day after I finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A splash of sweet fantasy, June 30, 2009
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
Awesome novel, loved it a lot!

Two really believable characters in a very possible situation. It's easy to believe and follow the characters, and your emotions may even swing with theirs! Language is poetic and the story is short and sweet.
After reading, I really wished I had such a close neighbour!

Overall, excellent book! :)
Recommended most to teens, but adults may enjoy too :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Romeo was pretty hot:], August 29, 2008
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
This is the of Jenn Vien and John Michaels. Best friends when they were preteens. Grew apart as they got older. John wants to be friends with Jenn. Jenn doesn't trust John. There are many obstacles before these two get together, but in the end true love conquers all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling For Romeo by Jennifer Laurens, December 30, 2007
This review is from: Falling for Romeo (Paperback)
John can have any girl he wants. Jennifer's never been kissed. Everybody thinks he's perfect. She's got issues with pride and jealousy. They were best friends-once. Now, they're playing Romeo and Juliet. Virgin lips Jennifer must have her first kiss on stage with John, the guy every girl in school wants. The pressure and tension build along with each staged kiss. Both are shocked when feelings bloom. Can either tell which kisses are real and which are for show?

Told in third person and switching between John and Jennifer's perspective, this is one great book filled with humor, vivid details and realistic drama. I really enjoyed the whole Romeo and Juliet parallel- it really rose this typical "best friends grew apart, but now finally realize their feelings for each other" story to another level. The whole theatrical setting was extremely realistic and believeable. A very fun, enjoyable read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Falling for Romeo
Falling for Romeo by Jennifer Laurens (Paperback - May 1, 2011)
$13.95 $12.56