5.0 out of 5 stars Funny poems!
Published on February 18, 2003 by WendyInWA

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Shel as you know him
It Shel, Some fun, some blah, some thoughful. If you like Shel, you like this. I have to admit, it takes a certain kind of mindset to enjoy it
Published on December 7, 2011 by Honkwomp

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny poems!, February 18, 2003
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
What can I say, except my 10 year old fifth-grader who does not like to read much at all, enjoys reading this book of poems before going to bed each night. I am so grateful he enjoys reading them. I have read some of them outloud to him and they are funny, they ryhme and they have great imagination. If you have a child of any age, I recommend this book to expose him/her to the creative art of poetry and just because they're fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For All Ages, December 6, 2002
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
I have read this book so many times I can't even count, and it never seems to get old. This book is full of great poems written by a great poet. I have read every one of his books and they all are wonderful. I recommend this book to anyone at any age who enjoys a poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of his 3 collections, November 26, 2002
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
I purchased Falling Up on a whim, not sure if my 4 year old daughter would like it since much of the humor is derived from plays on words or double meanings. However, she absolutely loved it. Falling Up is a regular request at bedtime - one that I actually don't dread reading for the 100th time. She's even memorized a couple of the shorter poems on her own.
I can't say enough about this book. The first time I read it, I had histerical fits - some of the poems/drawings are just so cleverly ridiculous!
The "Horn Book" review above is way off base. I found Silverstein's previous collections less clever, less consistant in meter, and actually more bizzare. After going back and reading his earlier works, I assumed he'd settled down a bit in his old age. I think the reviewer (if they even read the whole book) was comparing their experience with their memory of encountering his earlier works for the first time.
I think Silverstein's poems are so unexpected that the first book you read becomes your favorite, and all others fail to measure up. A family friend swore we would like "Where the Sidewalk Ends" better, and my mother felt the same about "A Light in the Attic". WRONG - after a week or so of each, we were ready to trade back and read some more "Falling Up".
"Falling Up" is definitely our family's favorite, so if you get only one of the three collections, I recommend you make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical, September 24, 2005
"Falling Up" by Shel Silverstein,

Is full of witty and whimsical rhymes,

Page after page, line after line,

From rainbow beauty to slippery slime,

Shel's poetry settles into your mind,

Making you laugh, time after time,

No matter your age, they read fine,

A book so great I plan to share mine.

Beverly J Scott author of Jena's Choice

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pretty Good continuation of a stellar career, February 22, 1999
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
I admit, I will read absolutely anything and everything that Shel Silverstein has ever written, be they the children's lit or the song lyrics from albums like "Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball" to the Playboy cartoons to my personal fave, "Uncle Shelby's ABZ book". So when I got the chance to read the entirety of "Falling Up" yesterday, I jumped at the chance.
First point though--in the fifteen years separating "A Light in the Attic" and "Falling Up", Shel wasn't exactly silent. He only wrote nine plays, a screenplay with David Mamet, co-wrote the score to "Postcards on the Edge", and wrote most of the lyrics for the Bob Gibson Album "Making a Mess of Commercial Success". Just so you all would know :-)
To the people who criticize Shel for possibly misusing the English language just to make a rhyme, well, it's not like it hasn't been done before, folks. Look at E.Y. Harburg's lyrics for a previous example, and that didn't stop *him* from being an acclaimed lyricist. Besides, the device still works.
The poems and drawings certainly made me laugh aloud; however, I must admit that the work is slightly inferior to his earlier books of poetry. Although I wonder--was I the only person who noticed that the poem about the "Gnome and the Gnu" was pilfered to a great degree from the breezily little nonsense song "I'm a Gnu" by Flanders & Swann? But it's a minor quibble.
In any case, these poems will certainly appeal to children of all ages. And here's hoping that the big kids will get a treat of their own in the form of more offerings from the adult side of Shel Silverstein.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling Up, March 6, 2003
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
Falling up by Shel Sylverstien is one of the all time greatest poem books. This is a great book for someone who just wants to relax and enjoy reading something silly not serious. It is good to laugh and even better to laugh at what you are reading because at the same time you are working your brain as well as exercising your sense of humor. Mr. Sylverstien uses the most interesting words to express himself in his poems. It amazes me at how he can pull all of these funny things out of his head. There are so many great poems in this one book so that I could not possibly tell you about just one. Some of the poems are so outrageously funny and the few serious ones are still a little humorous which is what makes the poems so good. Shel wrights many poems and has published many books. It surprises me that all of these different ideas and feelings can come from one man. From a tattooed suit to a pet snowball, from a pencil made wrong to a world where things are completely opposite, even the stories that are about life lessons are still really good. Some books by Shel Sylverstien are Where The Sidewalk Ends, A Light In The Attic, and The Giving Tree. Those stories are just as good as Falling Up. The author Shel Sylverstien, the book, Falling up. It is an enjoyable read that can be found at most bookstores, libraries, and online.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE JOY OF POETRY, May 14, 2000
Sherry S. Korthals (Vermillion, SD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
Shel Silverstein's FALLING UP is a collection of 144 poems that will appeal particularly to individuals in grades 3-6 and poetry aficionados of all ages. Utilizing rhythm, rhyme, and wordplay as an accomplished painter wields a brush, Silverstein has created a collection of poems that are as varied as the colors on an artist's palette. Silverstein's offerings range from the two-line verse "Stone Airplane" to the two-page composition "The Nap Taker." His dramatic and distinctive line drawings add to the book's appeal and prove to be much more than superfluous illustrations. Many serve as integral connections between text and comprehension, often clarifying a poem's message with visual imagery. While readers may chuckle at the verse in "Hungry Kid Island," they will roar with laughter when they study the poem's illustration: a wind-blown figure laboriously rowing toward a huge child--with trees for hair and lips smacking in hungry anticipation--who lies submerged beneath the waves that convey the rower's small craft. Often lyric, often laconic, the poems in this collection offer readers a taste of Silverstein's trademark outlandish sense of humor and whimsical view of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shel Silverstein's Falling Up will not let you down!, May 28, 1996
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
Falling Up is the third collection of poems and drawings offered to us by the multi-talented Silverstien.
This book will appeal to the child and inner-child alike.
Regarding age, this book like: "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "A Light in the Attic", knows no boundries.
In addition to being a poet, Shel Silverstien is an accomplished cartoonist, playwrite and lyricist.
Mr. Silverstein played a big part in the early career of Dr. Hook, writing such hits as "The Freaker's Ball", "Cover of the Rolling Stone" and many others.
The popular country classic "One's on the Way" by Loretta Lynn was penned by Shel Silverstein.
The Irish Rover's signature song "The Unicorn" was also written by Silverstein and can be found in "Where the Sidewalk Ends".

If the author is Shel Silverstein, you can't miss, as the copy within is sure to be a hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars As a twenty year old, I still find his poetry hilarious!!!!!, October 17, 1999
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
Shel Silverstein has done it again!!! I have enjoyed reading his books as a child, and as an adult it only gets better! In his previous books, "Wherer the Sidewalk Ends," and "A Light in the Attic," I laughed and laughed histerically. I personally enjoyed "Sarah Synthia Silvia Stout" and Ickle Me Pickle Me Tickle ME Too! NOw in his new book, all I can say is that as a 20 year old man I still found his "child humor" extremely funny. It actually inspired me to consider writing children's poetry. I love kids just as I am sure that Mr. Silverstein did, and being that he passed away just a little while ago, maybe someone should step up and continue the job where he left off. I don't think that anyone can take the place of Shel, however, I do believe that if no one steps up than the kids of the future will have no new litereature in this genre to look forward to.-Trabelus Whitfield, Virginia Beach, VAShel Silverstein has done it again!!! I have enjoyed reading his books as a child, and as an adult it only gets better! In his previous books, "Wherer the Sidewalk Ends," and "A Light in the Attic," I laughed and laughed histerically. I personally enjoyed "Sarah Synthia Silvia Stout" and Ickle Me Pickle Me Tickle ME Too! NOw in his new book, all I can say is that as a 20 year old man I still found his "child humor" extremely funny. It actually inspired me to consider writing children's poetry. I love kids just as I am sure that Mr. Silverstein did, and being that he passed away just a little while ago, maybe someone should step up and continue the job where he left off. I don't think that anyone can take the place of Shel, however, I do believe that if no one steps up than the kids of the future will have no new litereature in this genre to look forward to.-Trabelus Whitfield, Virginia Beach, VA

5.0 out of 5 stars For small and big kids., October 23, 2002
This review is from: Falling Up (Hardcover)
It opens a gate in your heart and leads you to a place where you belong.
Shel speaks to little kids with pure innocence and perfect children insights whereas big kids like you and me can find our long lost dreams and enjoy the sense of humor the author delivers.
His words are like lyrics for life.
His drawings are full of imaginations.
It's a lovely combination that touches your heart and heal your souls.
All in all, it's a refreshing stream running across urban city and modern life.
I believe every time after reading it, you'll want to embrace the book and give a kiss on its cover like I do.

Falling Up
Falling Up by Shel Silverstein (Hardcover - January 24, 2006)
$19.99 $15.17