Falling off the Edge: Travels Through the Dark Heart of Globalization Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
More About the AuthorsDiscover books, learn about writers, read author blogs, and more.
Top Customer Reviews
=== The Good Stuff ===
* Alex Perry is an observant type of guy, has traveled to some unusual places, and writes well. He has a talent for relating what is happening on a Chinese street corner, a South Pacific jungle and a conference room in Asia. He captures the people involved, an the politics and financial motivations behind the events.
* The stories were well-chosen and represented an interesting mix of situations. For example, he describes the life of a factory worker in Szenzhen, home of numerous sweat-shops. Without getting overly dramatic, he describes the working conditions, pay rate, and difficulties the workers faced and the protest reactions that followed. I have spent quite a bit of time in this part of the world, and the narrative certainly rang true.
=== The Not-So-Good Stuff ===
* While the title says "Globalization", that is not really the theme of the book. A more accurate description might be "progress". Most of the stories are centered around how civilization has advanced, and the consequences of this. I had expected more of a global take on matters- how has increased trade changed people's lives, what are the consequences of increased specialization. None of that was on the agenda, and that is my major disappointment with the book.
=== Summary ===
I ended up reading the first one-hundred pages or so, and then skimming through the rest of the book. I am a news junkie, and read a lot of current events materials, so much of the material was a repeat to me.Read more ›
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Business & Money > Economics > Economic Conditions
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > International & World Politics > Asian
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Specific Topics > Globalization
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Specific Topics > Political Economy
- Books > Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Travel
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Economics > Economic Conditions
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > International & World Politics > Relations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Specific Topics > Globalization