Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on October 14, 2009
Writing guides for expansive games like Fallout 3 must be a daunting task. However, David Hodgson did a fantastic job of organizing this guide in a smooth and logical order.

I ordered this in conjunction with the Fallout 3: GOTY Edition and was very pleased. At over 750 pages, this guide covers every aspect of the game on all platforms (PS3, 360, and PC). As an owner of Hodgson's original Fallout 3 guide released in 2008, I was pleasantly surprised to see a vast number of improvements.

First and foremost: pictures! In the 2008 guide, it listed each enemy, weapon, and armor on pages upon pages of tables. It wasn't flashy, and it wasn't very exciting to look at. Now, though, there is a compendium that includes large, colorful photos of each enemy, weapon, and armor (including helmets and eyewear). Also included is an entire census of NPCs that you will find in the wasteland, each accompanied by a portrait, their location, their significance to the game, and other vitals. This really is a nice touch.

As for the guide itself, each quest is mapped out with the precise locations and steps needed to accomplish each task. The guide avoids spoiling future quests as well. In open-ended games, it's easy to get sidetracked or even completely lost when trying to achieve your goals. That won't happen with the help of this guide.

Just like the previous guide, there is a large foldout map included. It's about as big as a normal size state road map, which just goes to show how big this virtual world really is. Every location that you can unlock on your Pip-Boy map is shown and easily located with the help of a grid system. Never get lost in the Wasteland again!

Additionally, until I purchased the strategy guide for the original Fallout 3, I had no idea how many side quests there were. As it turns out there are about 17 of them (as well as many more in the DLC expansions and countless other freeform "mini" quests). Sometimes to initiate these quests, you must travel way off the beaten path. In fact, they will often be in the far stretches of the Wasteland where you may only stumble on them accidentally. Without this guide, I probably would have missed about half a dozen of them (maybe more). You don't want to miss these quests, either, since many of them offer unique rewards such as secret weapons/armor, hidden perks, followers, and a nice boost in XP as well.

All in all, this is a complete book and there are no glaring omissions. If anything, it has additional helpful content that was left out of the original volume. And since it covers the entire game, including all five DLC expansions, you really can't go wrong. The binding is strong, and overall, it looks and feels a little more polished than the previous guide.

I know some people like to play games without aid, but even then, this guide could come in handle with its immense inventory/bestiary/character database. The pages are crisp and glossy, the pictures are bright and colorful, and the maps are finely detailed.

If you're looking for the definitive Fallout 3: GOTY Edition companion, this is it!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2009
Here's a quick review of the GOTY Edition for those who want to compare it with the first edition.

The obvious: GOTY Edition contains material on all the new main, miscellaneous and side quests, in the same quality and style as the first edition. All the factions, beasts, weapons, perks, etc. covered in detail. 752 pages versus the original 464 and the binding holds together. Great manual overall, especially if you want to find all the things to do in the game.

What's missing:
- Some of the "Overview" charts; for instance, the 'Perks' overview chart and the 'Weapons, Armor & Items' table are missing. The bestiary and appendices charts are all still there.

What's new:
- An expanded "Factions & Bestiary" section has all the new character classes with pictures.
- A new "Census" section has pictures & some bio information on every NPC in the game (seriously, its 40+ pages).
- A new "Gear" section has pictures, stats & info on all weapons classes and special weapons. I preferred the missing chart for ease of comparison versus looking at 3 identical pictures of gatling lasers but oh well. The Gear section also has pics and stats of all the apparel you can find in the game.
- The fold-out map is updated with new quest locations, a smaller map of Point Lookout is printed on a book page, and the pages changed to a slicker magazine style paper.
- And, saving the best for last: an index! Sorely missing from the first edition this is almost worth the cost of the book alone.

Worth the cost of an upgrade? Yes if you want to get the most out of the new quests or you really need that index. Lots of goodness here.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 27, 2010
This full-color, fully-illustrated book clocks in at 752 8.5"x11" pages. If that is not a testament to its depth, I don't know what is.

As its name suggests, this guide covers the main game and all five expansions, including complete walkthroughs of both the main quests and all the secondary and freeform quests. The book also has detailed maps of every location in the game, all the items in said locations, enemies you can encounter, and anything else you would want to know.

There is also a complete listing of all the characters you may encounter, and similar listings of all the available weapons and clothing. All include about a paragraph of description and a list of stats.

Every quest, prior to the walkthrough, is presented in a flow-chart format, so you can quickly see at a glance the ideal path for your character. There are also markers throughout the walkthrough guiding you on the karmic implications of any actions you might take.

Handy appendices in the back list locations of item sets (e.g. mini-nukes or bobbleheads), achievements/trophies and logs/holotapes (needed for some quests/achievements).

The book also comes with a full-size poster with a map of the entire Capital Wasteland on one side and detailed maps of the DC Metro area on the other.

And, to top it all off, it has a complete listing of perks and stats, with tips on how to level up. In short, if you want the full Fallout experience, you want this book.
review image
on July 23, 2010
This is the most informative game guide that I have ever scanned. The detail is unbelievable and necessary. I truly believe one needs this guide to properly get thru this game.

This is one game that I believe will keep me involved for a very long time. Its worth the money for the hours of entertainment it brings and the guide makes the quest real and informed. No wasted motion now.

The book opens windows of information and gives one a better sense of what the game is all about. Challenges are easier to handle and makes the game less frustrating in parts.

Well, the guide really helps.
on June 19, 2010
This is exactly the kind of game guide I love to read: it has use beyond just holding your hand through a game (though it can do that too if you prefer it). I felt that every facet of the game was addressed, from the opening chapters detailing game mechanics, enemy types, and every piece of equipment you might find, to the meticulously cataloged Tour chapter that points out every location you might conceivably visit and what you'll likely find there.

To top it all off, the back of the guide contains not only a large world map, but an index that somehow manages to cover all the material the guide contains while also making it easy to find what you want nearly all the time. The only topic the index is less-than-helpful finding is the DC Metro Area--you'll need to refer to its section of the Tour chapter directly to browse the many locations in downtown DC. That is the one, fairly minor, caveat to this otherwise excellent tome, and at 752 pages, it is *definitely* a tome.
on July 8, 2010
If you're thinking about getting this, just get it. It has a ton of information. After I play through a quest or area, I'll check the guide to find things that I missed. If I get stuck, I'll consult this guide. It's all there. You'll probably overlook a few quests without this. I even sit and read the book for fun when my wife is using the TV. The maps could be a little better, but the book does cover a lot!
on March 20, 2011
I bought Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition for the PC and quickly discovered that I would need a game guide in order to find and complete all the quests.
So I jumped on to amazon and ordered the Game guide. I have had it now for about 3 days and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
It is detailed, concise and has pictures to boot. :D
I like being able to know the various outcomes of different quests and also knowing what the stats are on different Characters.
I definitely recommend this guide.
on December 2, 2009
If you have purchased Fallout 3 I would suggest that you get this book. Fallout 3 is one giant of a RPG, just like Oblivion, and this book will basically hold your hand and guide you through each quest and side-quest. If you don't use the book, I guarantee you will miss out on a lot of things the story is about. Five Stars.
on June 13, 2011
I have never used a game guide for a game before, but I honestly don't think I could've accomplished 1/2 of what I accomplished without it. The game itself is so huge and there are so many nooks and crannies to look inside that I absolutely needed this game guide to help.

So far, I have beaten all of the main quests and I still only have less than 1/2 of the Xbox achievements. But, with this game guide, I was able to easily locate all 20 bobble-heads, as well as easily navigate the entire Wasteland.

Here are my favorite things about the guide:
- There is a pull-out map in the back for easy reference of not only all of the Wasteland, but on the back side there is an in-depth look at all of the DC Metro areas (to include all DLC areas)
- The appendices: There is an appendix for everything! There is one for all of the achievements, the bobble-head locations, the locations of all of the stat books, etc.
- There is a great chapter on advising you on how to upgrade your character and what all of the stats and perks mean and what they do for you.
- I also loved that for every location that you go to, there is a detailed map that points out every collectible item, danger areas, and plot locations; so, if you're ever stuck on where to go, just flip to the map of your location, pull up the map on your Pip-Boy 3000 to get a reference and then cross-check that with the map in the book and you will be able to find your way anywhere.

The only thing that I felt was lacking, was that in the game guide, the author would tell you to turn on your Pip-Boy flashlight (when in areas of extreme darkness), but never explained how to do it and I couldn't figure it out to save my life. There were definitely a lot of moments spent wandering around dark caves and caverns with little (and in some cases zero) light available until I finally managed to find the little trail or ledge I needed to navigate out of that area.

You wouldn't need a game guide on all games, but I think that for this game - it's a must!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2010
Simply put, this text is so full of information it was almost an overload. It has just about all the information needed for getting the most out of this expansive game. I am relatively new to gaming and find the occasional hint very helpful for solving whatever puzzle has me stumped. I prefer progress to the minor thrill I get from solving the mystery unlocking the boss battle.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't find this a simple walkthrough but a sort of encyclopedia of information necessary to survive in an empty, hostile wasteland. There is also a tear out map in the back of the book for those of us who need a device to figure out just where the heck we are. It is also helpful to know the "good guys" from the "bad guys" to facilitate deciding on the action you want your character to take.

In summary, this is a very comprehensive yet different from other gaming guides making it more difficult for me to use right away. It made me have to think and didn't lead me from treasure to treasure etc. That kind of walkthrough can likely be found online, but what this book offers is far superior. Prima is quite good at what they do. I have already ordered my copy of Fallout: New Vegas (the book) but don't have the game yet.