Published on July 18, 2009 by Nanohead

I bought this with a great deal of anticipation because of the hype and some of the better reviews.

The potential was there but I think the temptation to make a quick buck by the publisher won out.

Published on February 23, 2010 by Doug D. Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Really 2 seperate add ons for Fallout 3. OA is 3 stars, The Pitt is 4 1/2 stars, July 18, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3 Game Add-On Pack: Operation Anchorage and The Pitt - PC (DVD-ROM)
There are really 2 different things here, and I'll try and deal with them separately. Also, to try and clear up confusion, there are several ways to get these add ons. You can get them from Games for Windows LIVE (GFWL)individually, or you can buy this add on disk with the BOTH of them on it. The software is the same. With GFWL you can, get each one by itself (and others as well). If you buy this disk, you get 2 at a time.

Operation Anchorage was the first Add on that was available for Fallout 3. Personally, I didn't care for it... It takes place in a "simulation", and outside the Fallout 3 storyline. There's some that takes place in the capital wasteland, but only about 10% of it. There are some new weapons (the Gauss rifle is pretty cool), but other than that, its pretty underwhelming. I found Anchorage pretty confusing, and it gave me a headache sometimes when I had to wander around lost in a maze of nondescript frozen paths. It is very very linear, as well as being pretty boring. I could have lived without it.

The Pitt on the other hand, I enjoyed quite a bit. The Pitt takes place in Pittsburgh (hence, the Pitt). It is another decimated city like Washington DC, where there are mutants, slaves, tyrants, mercenaries, etc. It does relate somewhat back to the main Fallout 3 storyline, and does make sense. The whole environment is pretty creepy, dark, and depressing. There are some good characters, as well as some interesting places to explore and some cool weapons, armor, and weird people you encounter. There's also another "moral dilemma" choice you need to make during the story. Overall, the Pitt was really a decent add on to the main Fallout 3 storyline.

I've also played through Broken Steel and Point Lookout, both which were quite good (especially Point Lookout). I will post a review for those when they become available here on Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars THE PITT AND OPERATION:ANCORAGE, May 27, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Basically it's the DLC on a disk. It comes with a cool poster with vault boy all over it. Loses a star because it downgrades fallout 3 to v1.4 if not careful, but can easily be fixed.

(UPDATE)
It also removes the need for a disk to be in the drive to play Fallout 3! I wish i could give this game's one lost star back but amazo won't let me so this product is 5/5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars No GFL!, May 27, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I feel compelled to review this, seeing that it has 1 star overall.

This is not a bad product. If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you will like this game. It adds the first two expansions (or DLCs), Operation Anchorage and The Pitt.

If you have not tried these yet because you did not want to use Games for Windows Live, I would highly recommend this.

As for the "malware" it installs, I have had no problems with Securom. [...]
-*Buy this if you liked Fallout 3*- It will add hours of fun to your game!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay . . . but a great disapointment and letdown from the standard of the Wasteland., February 23, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

The best thing about Operation Anchorage was the stunningly beautiful mountain terrain one finds yourself in at first. Just wonderful. The first time I was in the mountains I just stared off into the clouds and listened to the wind. Just stunning.

The following combat however is completely average with a totally linear play style typical of the most common place type in the most common FPS. The people you come in contact with are not attractive or engaging, IMO, at all. You supposedly get a field promotion to lieutenant and command of a squad, but you have only the most limited control over what they do as in attack or not attack, and even that order you give only once. Once they start attacking I found no way to influence the stuff they did.

(SPOILER) The missions were unimaginative, 1) blow up three giant artillery pieces that were bombarding Anchorage, 2) take out a listening post, and 3) take out a refuelling station for some Chimera tanks I think they were named. BTW, there was only one tank ya had to fight on normal difficulty level which you could take out with about 5 - 7 shots with your sniper rifle, lol.

The AI for the tank was absolutely retarded. While the tank should have been able to absolutely crush your squad if it didn't have anti-tank support or mines, it couldn't even turn around a corner of a wall to get to you. The laser beams it shot out hardly even hurt. What a laugh.

The best part of this was the Chinese Ninja, who were annoying and hard to kill 'cause they wore the Ninja armour which has +15 sneak, and +5 invisibility shield (I think it was called) when you crouched but only if you have 85 sneak skill. So they were almost totally invisible unless they stood up. This armour is great fun so make sure you loot the Outcast base to find it. You can use it to sneak anywhere without the enemy/monsters seeing you (don't stand up or you are seen) and do a sneak attack with a melee weapon. If you have the right skills selected you will get a one hit sneak attack kill every time on normal and most enemies. The best thing is that you can sneak up on enemies and listen in on what they say which is a lot of fun especially in Point Lookout. Also, loot the Gauss Rifle for sure (I dropped mine off somewhere and never did get it back to the Wasteland proper so I never got to use it in the Wasteland and am not sure if you even can.)

I really didn't find the "Super" armour ya got that dominating statistically as compared to say the Tesla armour. It was good but, IMO, not dominating. I like to use sneak a lot and it is noisy so I loved the Ninja armour.

I'd give this DLC portion and I do this reluctantly a 2.5 stars.

Now, The Pitt was much, much better. Very very moody. It had great potential. But once again I think the publishers were capitalizing on the popularity of FO3 to make some money which, well, they got to make money. But it could be a whole game spin off sometime, and I hope they will.

If you like melee, you will love the Auto Axe, a special weapon you get custom made by one of the friendly characters. Start this baby up and just run forward through a wave of blood right into your enemies. The are paralysed with the attack so they can't hit you back and are cut to ribbons in a huge spray of blood. Although I never tried it, this would be great to use with the Ninja suit ya can get in O.A.

The quests ya get are very simplistic although satisfying. How could it not be satisfying to be part of killing hundreds of hated raiders and the ultimate raider boss. (Spoiler) Ultimately, ya get to steal the raider bosses wife's child (after you kill them both) and give it to a loving adopting mother of one of the slaves. Then you let loose monsters (I forget the name of them) into Uptown Pitt to wipe out the remaining raiders. Also, IMO, the raider bosses' armour is the best in the whole game. If you can stand the stench of wearing it (figuratively speaking) it is great armour.

Now if you are into Fallout3, I suggest you get the DLC at the same time you get the complete Fallout3 dvd, and as soon as you can (maybe around the level 15 point) play through The Pitt to get the Auto Axe, O.A. to get the Ninja armour, and Point Lookout to get the Fertilizer Shovel before completing the main FO3 quest. That way you can get the Ninja armour (+15 sneak, +5 invisibility shield when crouching), and use your favourite weapon like the fertilizer shovel, auto axe, shishkebab, or power fist to slam enemies in the face from the crouch for a deadly sneak attack and probable critical hit. Make sure you ramp up your attack, and sneak attack skills, and abilities every chance you get and you have one super Ninja sneak attack killing machine. Very very sweet.

My main complaint is the unimaginative play of O.A., IMO, and the short but great play in The Pitt.

Finally, I must speak as I do in my review of the other DLC of Point Lookout, and Broken Steel, the problem with the visible area of solid objects not matching the actual solid area of the object persists in this DLC. For example, while ya can see and aim around an object, ya can't shoot too close around the object, because an invisible edge extends past the solid object and blocks you shots.

This is not the case in many other games I play like STALKER where ya can inch up the the pixel next to any object and shoot without hitting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun expansion to a great game, October 12, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I LOVE Fallout 3 and could not wait to extend the gameplay. The expansion pack was pretty good, but I wish it had added more gameplay, but I still enjoyed playing this expansion pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun add on, July 20, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you like fallout 3, you should get this add on. I bought them as a disk and had no problems with it.

Operation Anchorage was fun to me. It was a simulation, so it was a bit different then the other game play. My only complaints about it is that is was kind of hard to find your way around in some areas and you were never able to search the bodies of the people you killed. The quest was very linear. All in all, it was a nice change to the normal game setting and you got an awesome gun, the Guass rifle.

The Pitt was probably one of my favorite of the add ons. The city was the same kind of environment, but more creepy. You get some new types of enemies called frogs (I believe) and some neat new weapons. You get to do some really fun quests and you also have a choice in how it ends depending on your decision in a dilemma. You can spend a long time really going around every where on the map. There are some different and neat backgrounds too. A very nice addition to the game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still don't work, December 16, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This game still doesn't work and this add on would not run on Vista, I have double the requirements required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Fallout 3 players, November 30, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Each of these quests add something new to the game and each is in a completely different style, both from each other and from the rest of the game. Well worth the $20.

Anchorage is nice because it's in a new environment and it's got a nice fast pace. There is no looting (except for intel items and replenishment) so it's your chance to concentrate on lots of combat. Pitt has a good story line to it and also a new and interesting environment. It has several quests that tie together, much like the long sequence of quests in the main game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, July 7, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I played the Pitt and it was cool... a nice add-on.
I havent played the anchorage yet, but I am looking forward to it.

The Fallout game already rules but adding more is just a sweet bonus.

Thanks
Tom
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally great!, June 21, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I finished this games twice in different level of difficulty and the second time I visit every possible location in the game by the book. I love it.

The game play is great, the weapons, the interface, the installation, the settings adjust automatically to your graphic capabilities in the computer and still you can re-adjusted manually/ The many places in the game are all different in looks and approach, transporting yourself in the game to different
places is easy and practical. Almost every thing that you see you can climb or go to with no restrictions. It compensates the player for completing missions and tasks better than any other game that I play before. The Cities, Towns, Forts, Caves, Farms, the enemy sizes, graphics and power to me also are the best including the AI that is great and the freedom of choices including ways to fight. Radio stations and the DJ's were great they even make comments on your missions past and present. Also I live in the DC area which is where the game takes place. Oh and the Music and sound are also great.
finally I though it was super entertaining and funny because of enemy behavior a la first HALO. Te missions and explorations that are so unique and Which I believe to be great. Sorry my wife is rushing me for an errand. Thanks NP Gaithersburg, Md. USA note: I was talking about Fallout 3 all of it!

Fallout 3 Game Add-On Pack: Operation Anchorage and The Pitt - PC