Original review published 10/14/2009:

I pre-ordered this game from Amazon and it arrived right on the release date! I was very happy with that.

Published on October 14, 2009 by Mike Fields

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait until a patch comes...That is, if one ever does.
To start off, I loved the base game of Fallout 3, I got it when it first came out, and sure it had its fair share of problems, but it was still great.

And so the story continues with 5 new DLC's, which add new items and locations to your already large choosings.

Published on November 3, 2009 by frenchiefellow

4.0 out of 5 stars Fallout 3 + Every Expansion = Sheer Bliss (Except for the constant freezes!), October 14, 2009
Mike Fields (Wyomissing, PA USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Original review published 10/14/2009:

Now, I had already been an owner of the base Fallout 3 game, and when I found out the GOTY edition was going to be released, which included all five "expansions" (Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta), I knew I had to have it! This is especially considering PS3 owners had to sit back and wait while XBOX360 owners had them available months and months ago. Each of these expansions were selling for $10 for 360 owners, but now we can have the original game ($35) plus the DLC ($50 total) for $60 (total savings of $25). Not too shabby.

People have a few concerns with loading time, crashing, and save files not carrying over. I haven't experienced any issues with crashing (my original Fallout 3 crashed once in my 30+ hours of gameplay), but perhaps I can help shed light on the other two concerns.

1.) Long load times - When I first exited my house in Megaton, the game took about 2-3 minutes to load. This is *much* longer than usual. However, this is because the new content is initializing. Instantly, Point Lookout and The Pitt showed up in my quests. Next, I fast-traveled somewhere and again the load time was 2-3 minutes. Upon arriving at my destination, the remaining three quests (Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta) became available. After this, load times were back to normal. Also, there were some frame rate issues at first coupled with the game freezing for one or two seconds periodically, but this ceased after about an hour or two of playing. I attribute these issues to the new quests being available and the game syncing up with your particular save game.

2.) Save files not carrying over - This is a regional issue. In the U.S., most players are not having difficulties. However, in Canada, I'm hearing a lot about how they only have an option to start a new game in the GOTY edition. This is because they played the Canadian version of the original Fallout 3 and it appears that saves generated by certain Canadian editions of the game aren't being recognized by the GOTY Edition. This is obviously a glaring problem for Canadian players, so we can only hope that Bethesda releases a patch to address this issue.

All in all, each DLC quest will add anywhere between 3-4 hours of additional gameplay (so about 15-20 more hours total). There are also new enemies and weapons introduced. The most significant DLC is Broken Steel, which adds an additional 10 levels to achieve, 14 new perks, and 6 new achievements to unlock, and probably the largest addition to gameplay time. As for sheer enjoyment, Point Lookout and The Pitt offer great excitement due to their intricate story lines and engaging environments.

If you are a PS3 owner and Fallout 3 fan, this is the compilation that you've been waiting for! More missions, more guns, more enemies, more perks, more hours of fun! Even if you own the original copy, I would advise you to re-sell it and pick up a copy of the GOTY edition. Also, keep in mind that the issues people are having are only a patch fix away. I feel these are rare (or just misunderstood), and your gameplay experience will not suffer in the least. The 2008 game of the year just got better in 2009!

UPDATE (1/28/2011): It's been over a year since I wrote this, so I thought I would update this review with some new insight.

Freezes. Oh my goodness, this game has frozen at least once every time I play this. When I first wrote my review, I had a little over 30 hours logged. Now I'm up to 52+ hours and have only a few more quests to complete before I finish the entire game (DLC included). However, I don't know if I'll be able to play anymore.

The game freezes mostly during combat. After I shoot an enemy, the game will come to a halt. At first, I would just restart my PS3 for a short-term fix. If I hadn't saved recently, well, too bad. The worst was when I started Operation: Anchorage. I had played for about 45 minutes without saving before the game froze. All progress lost.

After awhile, I realized that the game didn't entirely freeze. It's peculiar, really. The game will just stop working for perhaps two or three minutes before starting up again. This is beyond annoying, though. To go along with the freezes, I often run into some serious frame rate issues. I'm talking like one or two frames every few seconds or so. This usually happens right before the game is about to freeze.

Some theories correlate the constant freezing to the size of your save file. I can see a connection. As your game time raises, so does the size of your save file. At the start of the game, it might be 3.5 MB or so. Mine currently is over 9 MB. I've heard that people with 19 MB save files run into freezes every 10 minutes. That is unacceptable!

It really is a shame. This game is super fun, and the add-ons offer so much more to the original game. I just wish I could play it for more than half an hour before I have to turn off my Playstation out of frustration due to the constant freezes. It just takes you out of the immersion of the game. How sad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait until a patch comes...That is, if one ever does., November 3, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

But alas, this game feels as though little to no testing was done in the game. It is plagued with glitches, frame rate issues, lag issues, freezing issues, amongst other annoying problems I hadn't experienced in my initial Fallout 3 experience. I believe that the game froze my PS3 at least 15 times across all 5 DLC's, this also included exploring some areas from the the original copy. These problems occur often, inspiring a new found hatred for the game. To be short, the problems are terrible, annoying, and large in number.

But despite its problems, the game does manage to do a lot of things right:

1) You can use you saves from the original copy if you still have them!
2) New weapons and items are (mostly) very useful and powerful
3) Point Lookup continues the game's-experience with many side-quests and sandbox gameplay
4) The level cap is raised to level 30.
5) The game can now continue after the main-quests are over!
6) You can find a lot more ammo for the Alien Blaster!
7) The quests from the DLC (while they are nothing special) add a few more hours of gameplay
8) $110 worth of games for $60 is a great deal!

The DLC's are solid, but are not great. They feel like the main game's side quests to me, as they feel unimportant, but the rewards are worth playing for. My favorite weapons and apparel are from the DLC including: Winterized Power Armor, Tesla Cannon, Gauss Rifle, Samurai Armor, Samurai sword, Auto-axe/ Manopener, infiltrator/perforator, tribeam laser rifle, double barreled shotgun, level-action rifle, Alien Disintegrator I would have like to have seen more length and depth to each DLC, as no single DLC took more than 3 hours to complete (with the exception of Point Lookout's side quests and exploration)

I'd be hesitant to recommend this to anyone but hardcore Bethsda and Fallout fans, until a patch comes out that if not eliminates the problems, at least minimizes them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fallout 3: Downgrade of the Year, December 22, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I'll start first by saying that I am a huge fan of Fallout 3. I logged more than 100 hours over the course of about a year playing the game and I never really got tired of it. When I originally reviewed Fallout 3 I gave the game 4-out-of-5 Stars. The only major detraction I found in the original game was the ending. Thankfully Bethesda saw to revise the ending for the "GOTY" edition. So needless to say, I expected a good game to get even better.

So I decided to go ahead and purchase the "Game of the Year" retail package instead of downloading the individual episodic content. The "GOTY" edition of Fallout 3 comes with all the content released on the Playstation Network and XBox Live packed on the disc - Broken Steel, Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta.

Unfortunately for PS3 owners it seems that once again we're getting a sub-par product. Shortly after booting up the game and starting the "Broken Steel" content I encountered some terrible frame-rate issues and eventually game-ending freezes that required a reboot of the PS3. These same issues have progressively gotten worse with each new episode. Parts of Operation Anchorage are borderline unplayable. I'm dreading the next quest - The Pitt because of the same problems.

The worst part of this all is that my regular copy of Fallout 3 rarely froze. Now even when just exploring the Wasteland - not even doing anything related to the GOTY content - my game will freeze. I would say in any given hour I'm restarting my PS3 on average 2 or 3 times. Over and over.

I really can't believe that any company would stamp their name on such a poor product. Bethesda should be ashamed to have released this product as is. As others have said, until there is a patch, STAY AWAY!

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun game when you can play it..., November 9, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The game works great until the game save file exceeds ~8MB and the cached game file exceeds about 6GB. When that happens you run into constant lockups, temporary freezes, and horrid frame rates whenever an enemy comes near you.

You've seen the reviews. I don't have to tell you how great this game is, but Bethesda should flat out be ashamed for releasing the game in this state. I own both consoles, and much prefer getting things on the PS3 because I trust the hardware more than I do on my 3 time replaced 360, but in hindsight, I should have gotten the game for the 360 instead. If you own both consoles, that one seems to not have a freezing issue, most likely because it isn't relying on a game file cache on the HDD.

I feel like I wasted 60$ on a game I can't even finish because of lockups...

Thank you Bethesda! You've got my money... now what?

3.0 out of 5 stars Fallout 3 is awesome, when it works., August 15, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I recently finished the regular campaign of Fallout 3, and I had a blast. There were no real problems to speak of... I think the game crashed once or twice, but mostly because I played all day and the console got hot. When it came to playing the expansion material (Broken Steel was what I tried playing,) the game crashed like crazy. Sometimes I'd let it run for a minute or two, and it'd work itself out. More often, however, I'd have to get up and manually turn off the console. I think it was about every 30-45 minutes between crashes.

Bethesda keeps releasing games that are right up my alley, but they can't manage to release one without bugs. I get that sandbox games have a lot going on, and you might not ever get a perfect one, but come on! At least make'em so they run!

**************
Update: 8/8/12
**************

I decided to give the expansion material another go. After some research, I found some work-arounds to help stabilize the game.

1) The game runs into issues once your save file gets close to 10MB. Write to a new save files instead of copying over old ones.
2) Save frequently and exit to the XMB. Running a large save file for long periods of time tends to cause the game to lock up.
3) Issues are more common when playing for extended periods of time!

With these preventative steps, I was able to finish most of the content with little-to-no issues. Content-wise, the expansions effectively double the play time when comparing to the basic campaign. The story lines added are fun, and the added perks/items are nice as well! One notable expansion is Operation Anchorage: The style of gameplay made it feel more like a FPS than "Fallout."

2.0 out of 5 stars an amazing game destroyed by bugs galore, November 22, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
fallout 3 would easily be one of the greatest games ever made, had it not been for the insane amount of bugs and glitches it contained. in it's current state, the game is broken and frustrating. the fact that bethesda would release a game in this state to the public not once, but twice is criminal. if ps3 released a console this broken, there would be class action lawsuits from thousands of angry buyers. i, for one, will never buy a product from bethesda again. they got $120+ from me and they won't get another penny.

even with the original release, i experienced tons of glitches, lots of freezing and plenty of restarts resulting in hours of lost game play. the glitches and freezing i experienced during the majority of the expansion packs, however, made all the b.s. i went through on the original release seem like a mere inconvenience.

throughout all the expansion packs (with the exception of mothership zeta, which i didn't bother playing because i heard that was the worst of the bunch) it seemed i couldn't play for longer than 10 minutes without out freezing or extreme lag... and when i say extreme lag... i mean EXTREME... like entering V.A.T.S, selecting my targets, hitting X and then waiting for as long as ten minutes before anything would happen. if i was lucky, i could get up, get a sandwich, let one of my pugs out and get back to the game just in time for it to un-freeze. i'd say a good 50% of the time, however, there was no recovery and i would be forced to restart my system resulting plenty of wasted hours and more than likely extra stress on my system. personally, i found "the pitt" to be the worst. i experienced the least amount of issues during "operation: anchorage" though i still had my share. especially towards the end.

i have heard many people come to bethesda's defense. the biggest excuse i hear is that "people need to let this stuff slide. with a game of this magnitude, they shouldn't expect perfection..."

bullcrap.

i don't think anyone's expecting perfection. i have no problem with the minor glitches (having raiders spin in mid-air after they're shot, having enclave soldiers shake violently on the ground after they've been killed, finding a vicious dog embedded in the street) i can let that stuff slide, no problem. things like the lagging and freezing, however? not acceptable. at all. i shouldn't have to interrupt my game play every ten minutes to save just because of all the freezing.

what's even more unacceptable is that bethasda hasn't / won't even address the situation or issue an apology to the thousands of fans they've duped out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

the freezing and lagging didn't just happened in V.A.T.S. it frequently happened when i would try to enter a room (especially in the pitt). it would happen when i was walking from point A to point B. sometimes it would even happen when i was standing still doing absolutely nothing.

it really is a shame a game of this caliber is so flawed. a game completely worthy of 5 stars will forever live in my mind as a 2 star game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Game, September 24, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'll be writing a detailed review of Fallout 3, I'll divide the major areas up and explain them the best I can. I'll keep as many spoilers out of my review. Let's get started...

Overview
This is a Role Playing Game (RPG) and a free roaming game. Meaning you play as a character and you're free to explore the whole area around you, you're not constricted to one path you can go anywhere you want and do whatever you want. To get an even better idea how this game looks and functions, I highly suggest you look at some YouTube videos of it.

Story
Fallout 3 is set in the post-apocalyptic city of Washington D.C. in the year 2277; it takes place 200 years after the apocalypse, when in 2077 a nuclear war had taken place between China and the U.S.A. The timeline is the same as in our world until World War II, then it splits, the Cold War never ended and instead of it being with Russia it's with China. Like all wars it's for resources, oil prices are sky high, hitting $7000 per barrel! During the conventional war between the two nations, US scientists come up with fusion technology which can replace gas and oil, it can power cars, buses, and even weapons like the Laser Rifle (which I'll be talking about later) Nonetheless nuclear war hits in 2077! You though are safe from nuclear devastations; you were born in a "vault," before the war the government made large underground shelters. In the beginning of the game you start in the vault, living with your dad and the rest of the vault community, just living life, growing up, blah blah blah... But then one day your dad leaves the vault without any warning, it's then up to you to enter the harsh "Capital Wasteland" as it's nicknamed and embark on a quest to find your father. Along the way you can do quests, visit towns, a lot of freedom!

In the Fallout universe "technology progressed at a much more impressive rate, while American society remained locked in the cultural norms of the 1950s" - From the games manual. This gives the game a futuristic feel and look. Like in the 1950s and 60s people thought in the next couple of years or even by 1999 there would be servant robots, nuclear power cars, etc. That's pretty much what Fallout has.

So much to talk about where do I start!?

Character Creation
You can create a male and female character. You can choose very detailed and custom faces, the only thing you build is the face, no muscles or anything. You can craft the jawline, nose, eye spacing, how big your forehead is, etc. Race can be chosen from between Caucasian, Asian, African American, and Hispanic. You can tone skin color as well. There's also a "random" button which makes a mixed up character for you, I once got purple skin -___-

1st Person and 3rd Person View
You have the ability to switch between 1st person view to 3rd person view with one click of the L2 button on the PS3 controller. And if you hold it you can zoom 3rd person view in and out as much as you like.

Levels
There are 20 levels in the game. 10 more are add with the Broken Steel Downloadable Content (DLC). But don't worry the Fallout 3 version Amazon is selling is the Game of the Year edition which includes all DLCs.

Graphics
Graphics aren't this game's strong point; the map and story of the game are very well built but it lacks in the graphics department. Look up a few screenshots and you'll get the idea. Textures are flat, they give off a 3D look, like of a small rock, but if you look carefully it's just a flat sheet. They're not extremely bad my they're not great, I would give them a 6.5 out of 10, 10 being Battlefield game graphics. The environment is not destructible, a few barrels can be moved but that's it. Graphics are not realistic.

The Map
Like I said it's an open world game. The map is huge. The area you start out from is in the suburbs, as you follow the storyline you go into D.C. You can even go to the top of the Washington Monument! The city has many roads blocked off by fallen debris, buildings are dirty and damaged. You can get really deep inside the city; be warned though the whole city is crawling with Super Mutants! The map is big, but then there's the underground Metro system. This basically doubles the map! Dark, spooky tunnels, filled with Raiders and Ghouls... As you go outside and into the city's rural expanse, you'll find scattered towns, secret hideouts, Super Mutant camps and much more. Many of the long over-pass bridges have collapsed. All the trees have been brunt by the nuclear fire. The interior of buildings are dark and damaged too, you can see small particles floating around, you can see stale air flowing.

Time and Weather
Time in the game moves much fast than normal, every minute is only a few seconds and every hour is only a few minutes. You have the option to "wait," when you press the "Select" button on the controller you open up a small menu which lets you wait for as many hours you want. At the menu it lets you know what day, month, year, and time it is. As the time moves along you have dawn, mid-day, night, etc. There is no rain or snow. You will have cloudy days but no rain.

Perks, Skills, and Leveling Up
You can level up in the game by earning XP (Experience Points), you can complete quests, hack computers, lock pick locks, kill enemies, actually kill anything, and other things to earn XP. Every time you level up you have the choice of adding skill points to your Skills and picking one Perk. Skills are Barter, Big Guns, Energy Weapons, Explosives, Lockpick, Medicine, Melee Weapons, Repair, Science, Small Guns, Sneak, Speech, and Unarmed. Each of these Skills have a number next to them denoting how good you are, or how advanced you are in that Skill, it ranges from 0 to 100 which is the maximum. For example If I have a high Big Guns Skill my handling, and combat effectiveness with all oversized weapons like the Gatling Laser and Fat Man will be better. Same goes with the rest. If I have a high enough Unarmed Skill I might even be able to, when in dialogue with another person, convince them to teach me a unique move! Perks are special "powers" that you can choose. Like Gun Nut, the description reads: "You're obsessed with using and maintaining a wide variety of conventional firearms. With each rank of the Gun Nut perk, you gain an additional 5 points to the Small Guns and Repair skills." Each Perk has a requirement for Gun Nut I need Rank: 3, Agility 4 and Intelligence 4 (these are S.P.E.C.I.A.L. explained ahead)

S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is an acronym for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck. These to can be customized, each range from 1 to 10. Skills which I just explained are embedded in the SPECIALs. For example, "Intelligence affects the Science, Repair, and Medicine skills..." "Strength is a measure of your raw physical power. It effects how much you can carry, and determines the effectiveness of all melee attacks." When you're building your character that's when you have the option to customize your SPECIALs. In-game you can only edit your SPECIALs with the Intense Training Perk which lets you add one point to only one of your SPECIALs. It can be selected multiply times but you'll have to level up and choose that Perk. If you have a high Intelligence you'll have more skill points to distribute when you level up. You can decide am I going to be a smart, intelligent person, or a heavy brawler who likes it up close, or someone in between?

Karma and Reputation
The actions you take in the game will result in you earning Karma and Reputation. Let's say you kill an innocent towns-person, you will earn bad karma. You will also earn bad karma if you help a bad person do bad things. If you accumulate bad karma your reputation will be that you're a killer and people should be scared of you! Having this type of rep will get you into nasty places like the main base of the Slavers! But it'll hurt you when you try to recruit a companion who requires their leader to have good karma. After helping out a town the townspeople might give you supplies from time to time. There are Perks related to karma, if you are evil you will be able to get Perks that would only be available to evil characters. Same goes for being good. Being good or bad has a role in the game so be careful next time you go shooting up towns!

Dialogue
Throughout the game you can talk with people. When you start talking to them you have a list of dialogue options from which you can choose from and say what you want. If you feel someone is talking nonsense you can tell'em to shut up! Each saying will have an effect, if you start threatening people they might run away scared or start attacking you. Having a high Speech will help you in this area, you can convince people to pay you a higher amount of money for a job, or make them tell you something they otherwise won't want to tell. Sometimes having, lets say, the Perk Gun Nut, you can impress another people with your knowledge of weaponry. By having a high Strength you can intimidate a person through dialogue to give you something. From time to time you'll be able to use your Skills and SPECIALs in unique dialogue options.

Companions
You can recruit companions. You need to pay for them in some cases, but most of the time you need to have a certain reputation for them to join you. For example there is one companion you can recruit named Jericho who is a ex-raider, he ain't no goody two-shoes. To be able to recruit him you need to have a bad karma/reputation level. They can carry items for you, any type, armor, guns, food, you name it. they are more resistant to damage then normal people in the Wasteland but they can be killed.

Factions, People, and Creatures in the Capital Wasteland
There are several factions in the Wasteland; the two main ones are the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave. The Brotherhood of Steel was part of the American military before the war. The Brotherhood in D.C. is the East Coast Brotherhood who are a detachment of the original Brotherhood back in California. They are trying to eradicate the threat of Super Mutants from the Wasteland. They're the good guys. The Enclave is the remnants of the American government. They are hostile with pretty much everyone in the Wasteland, they talk about "restoring the nation to its former glory" but they want to kill everything in the Wasteland because they want to rule over an America of the "pure," free from any mutation; as everything in the Wasteland is contaminated with mutation and radiation. Other then these two there are the Super Mutants, who were people that have been mutated by the Forced Evolutionary Virus (FEV) making them into these, large, grotesque monsters. Then there's the Raiders, humans who have made groups that go around killing everything there is to kill, there's no negotiating with them, shoot on sight! Ghouls, are pretty much zombies. There are two types sane and insane. The sane ones are like humans but their skin is rotten, they have heavy, sand-paper voices, and they can live for hundreds of years. Many of them are harmless. The insane ones have had their brains completely rotted. They'll attack anything one sight, they are quite ferocious. Like they say, "gotta shoot'em in the head!" There are slavers as to. They...well...enslave people. Slavers aren't hostile towards you. There are Talon Company mercenaries. They are hostile towards you. Robots are big in this game. You have Robobrains which are robots on treads which use an organic brain as their CPU. Mister Handy robots that have multiple arms, they were used before the war for housekeeping and maintenance; they still can be a threat. You can meet people in towns, you can go to the doctor, go to a bar, buy clothes and ammo, etc.

There are mutant bugs as well. Giant Ants, Bloat Flies, Yao Guai which are mutated black bears! Others include Giant Mole Rats, wild dogs, even mutant cows which are called Brahmin; they have 2 heads and 2 udders!

Radiation
The wasteland is filled with radiation. Drinking irradiated water or going into irradiated areas will increase your Radiation (RAD) counter. As you accumulate more radiation they're these benchmarks set, once you reach one you'll have radiation sickness effects. When this happens points will taken away from your SPECIALs. Once you hit 1000 RADs you die! So be careful and take Rad-Away!

Pip-Boy 3000
The Pip-Boy 3000 is an arm mounted machine with a screen on which you can select weapons, look at notes, look at the world map, change clothes, change radio stations, consume food, look at stats, etc. You can say it's your "main menu" in-game.

Items
Things like tin cans, coffee mugs, soda bottles, can be picked up and dropped whenever from your inventory. Weapons, food, clothes, ammo can be picked and dropped.

Money
The money used in the Wasteland are bottle caps. You can get them by selling things; you can find them on people, containers, etc.

Weapons
The paragraph you've all been waiting for! Weapons are divided into Big Guns, Energy Weapons, Explosives, Melee Weapons, Small Guns, and Unarmed. Big Guns are oversized weapons; they include the Minigun and Missile Launcher. These weapons are usually carried with both hands below the waist, or over the shoulder. The Minigun uses 5mm round while the Missile Launcher uses...well...missiles. Energy Weapons are, aka, laser guns. They include Laser Rifles, Plasma Rifles, Plasma Pistols, etc. These weapons use Microfusion Cells, or Energy Cells as ammo. Early in the game they are hard to find but as you level up and do more quests they'll spawn on enemies and you may even find them. Explosives are grenades and mines. There are normal explosive grenades and mines, but there are also plasma grenades and plasma mines which are great against all targets, and then there are pulse grenades and mines which are extremely effective against robots but do little damage to flesh and blood targets. They emit an Electromagnetic Pulse when detonated. Melee Weapons range from the humble lead pipe to the mighty Super-Sledge! Having a high Strength will benefit you if you're going to build a melee centered character. Things like Switchblades and Combat Knifes, anything you hold comes under Melee Weapons, things like Spiked Knuckles and Power Fists, anything you wear, comes under Unarmed. Small Guns include the Assault Rifle which is based of the G3 and the Chinese Assault Rifle which is based of the AK-47. There are more guns too, like the 10mm Submachine Gun, 10mm Pistol, and Hunting Rifle. There are many more guns it'll take too long to write them all down. Weapons have Damage (DAM), Weight (WG), Condition (CND), and Value (VAL). Damage is affected by the weapons condition, Condition will go down as more and more shots are fired, and if an enemy hits your weapon it can break. In the game weight is not calculated in pounds or kilograms it's just "Weight." Value is determined by the weapons condition. Like I said before things like Spiked Knuckles and Power Fists, anything you wear, comes under Unarmed. There are also unique weapons which you build from Blueprints, you use materials found from the Wasteland to build them. Like the Rock-It Launcher you can use ANYTHING as ammo! Coffee mugs, tin cans, pool balls, soda bottles, belts, lunchboxes, books, teddy bears, can all be shot! There's also a flaming sword called the Shishkebab! It's a melee weapon, its blade is on fire and when an enemy is hit they're set on fire! They're a few more epic gadgets as well.

Clothing and Appeal
You can choose from a wide range of clothing. You can wear Raider armor, Wasteland settlers gear, headgear, even power armor, a massive self-contained suit of mechanized combat armor that turns a single soldier into a walking tank! Almost every clothing item has an effect, if I wear the Vault Lab Uniform I will have 5 points added to my Science skill as long as I keep wearing that. If I wear the Merc Grunt Outfit my Melee weapons skill will be raised by 2 and my Small Guns skill will as be raised by 2. Wearing the Brotherhood Power Armor, my Strength will be boosted up by 2, my Agility will be lowered by 2 and I'll have 10 more Radiation Resistance. Clothing also has Damage Resistance (DR), Weight (WG), Condition (CND), and Value (VAL). Damage Resistance goes down as you get shot up. Condition will go down just like DR. Value is determined by the condition and DR of the clothing as well has what type of clothing it is, if it's a Dirty Chinese Jumpsuit in full condition it doesn't mean its valve will necessarily more then a suit of Power Armor which is at half condition. A suit of clothing can be repaired with another identical suit, or by a near relative of that clothing.

Food and Drinks
You can consume food and drinks in the game which will increase your health but they also have "effects." Taking Buffout, which is a medicine (in the game it is a Chemical (Chem) slang for drug), will increase your health by 60 Health Points (HP), raise your Endurance by 3, and raise your Strength by 2. Taking too much of it will result in you being addicted to it and after it's effects have worn off you'll experience withdrawal symptoms, you'll loss 1 point from Endurance and 1 point from Strength and it won't go away until you go to a doctor and have yourself cured, so don't overload! There is alcohol as well, beer, vodka, wine, etc, which you can get addicted to as well. Food includes, Squirrel on a Stick, Noodles, Brahmin Streak, Potato Crisps, Salisbury Streak, and more! Yum, yum!

V.A.T.S (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System)
V.A.T.S is a targeting system. When activate in front of anything that can be killed, it literally freezes time and lets you choose which body part you want to target, it lets you see what condition each limb is in, thus you can target their weak area, when you've accepted the attack, the screen goes into a cinematic mode which shows you shooting or mauling your target. Every time you choose to select a body part it takes Action Points (AP), you are limited to only a number of strikes which can be only done if you have enough AP. AP regenerates over a short period of time, it's regenerated right after you come out of VATS. There are Perks which increase overall AP.

Radio
Through your Pip-Boy you can change radio stations which are broadcasting through the Wasteland. Some are distress signals coming from nearby radio-towers; you can investigate if the people who are in need of help are still alive... There are 2 main stations which broadcast through the wastes at all times. One of them plays old 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s songs. They play songs like Anything Goes by Cole Porter and Dear Hearts and Gentle People by Bob Crosby and the Bobcats! Like I said before the developers have created a world where "technology progressed at a much more impressive rate, while American society remained locked in the cultural norms of the 1950s" - from the games manual. This gives the game a futuristic feel and look. The songs improve that "feel" drastically!

Viewer Discretion
You can blow off limbs and heads, just giving you a heads up...no pun intended. It can get a little gross from time to time. The graphics aren't realistic so that's a plus!

Save System
You can save the game manually anytime you want. If you want to save right before you start a quest you can do that. There's also an auto-save which saves every time you enter or exist a building, you can it turn on and off.

Glitches and Freezes
Fallout 3 is notorious for its freezes. The game freezes at many points. Characters are glitching like demons in the air sometimes. Because of the patches these things have decreased but they do happen. So be sure to download the patch when you start the game. For me nothing too big happens and I'm happy with the game; just remember to save from time to time.

No Online or Multiplayer
There is no multiplayer or co-op in this game.

Overall this is a very good game! The world they've created is huge and immersive. I've had this game for over 3 years and I still play it from time to time and I still find new things in the game! I once found a Mini Nukes in an isolated power station in the Wasteland; the Mini Nuke was hidden above a hanging lighting fixture! The storyline is amazing, great features, one of them that you can choose what you want to say, just beautiful! I highly recommend this game and for only $20 it's a steal.

1.0 out of 5 stars GOTY my ass....., November 11, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
First off let me say im a fan of Oblivion, that being said what the hell was Bethesda thinking of releasing a game for $60 dollars that you cant even play all the way through??? Dont they have testers that test this stuff out?? There is absolutely no reason for theses freezes, slow downs to be happening; i cant even play the game it locks up so bad.

Bottom line...

A game is a good game not just because it is made well, but because you can also PLAY THE GAME!! (basic unwritten gamer rules) I dont care if it was the best thing in the world, if I cant use it or play it, its not worth jack to me.

and where is Bethesda in all of this?? they are not talking, no apologies nada on there web site?? Do they even care??

So look if you wanna wait for a patch or whatever for the PS3, if they are even gonna make one, go ahead wait you'll probably enjoy the game and thats assuming that it does make the game playable, but if you are like me and expect a full price game to in fact work and function hows it suppose to, then you will be VERY disappointed. I don't even wanna play the game anymore its that frustrating and there are alot other games out there that will not potentially harm your PS3. So buyer beware and also....

...if you still keep trying to play and need to restart the game after a freeze up, do not switch off the PS3 from the back, I was reading forms and there were a few people who damaged there PS3's doing that. They were saying hold the power button for 3 to 5 seconds in the front and the ps3 will restart.

5.0 out of 5 stars LONG LONG ENTERTAINING RPG, December 11, 2010
Dev (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I knew little about the fallout series before I played this game. Since Fallout series was popular and this game received great reviews , I decided to give it a shot. After finishing it (60+ hrs w/o DLCs; 80+ hrs with all 5 DLCs), here is what I thought.

**********PROS.**********

LONG, JUST VERY LONG AND ENTERTAINING RPG: These days when most of the games (even RPGs) are 10hrs, it was a rejuvenating experience to play this long RPG. Just like other RPGs and games in general, while some elements were redundant, it has plenty of variety to offer as you progress in the game. Even after playing 50+ hrs (not even touching the awesome DLCs), there were always exciting and unexpected events in the game. Great job Bathesda, great job.

CHOICES, CHOICES, CHOICES: In this game, just like Mass Effect and Bioshock, you will have to make choices, lots and lots of them. And each choice you make will have major consequence on the outcome your missions and game all together. Again wonderful job. There will be time you will make a choice, finish the mission, get the results and out of curiosity replay the same mission again (assuming you saved before the mission), to see what outcome you might have gotten if you were to make a different choice.

KARMA METER: The choices you make will give you extremely positive to extremely negative karma. And different karma will change behavior of people of wasteland towards you allowing you to do different missions, unlock different achievements and different rewards. Depending on the choices you make, you will turn certain groups into your friends and others into enemies. Words simply can't describe the experience. You have to play it get the feel for what I am saying.

OPEN WORLD: Yes you are free to roam in wasteland and go wherever you want to go. I personally loved it. While to progress in the story you have to go to specific places on the map. You can take whatever route you can take and complete whichever missions you like.

SURPRISES WHILE ROAMING IN OPEN WORLD: This was one of the strongest aspect of the game. While roaming in open world and exploring new areas and wastleland towns, you never know what you are going to encounter. While a lot of open world games have the same type of enemies and areas in open world, this game will introduce to plenty of varieties. Can't tell more without spoiling.

RPG ELEMENT: As you defeat enemies, complete missions, solve conflicts and progress through game, you gain experience and level up. Leveling up will allow you to enhance your traits and unique abilities (for example, your aiming, your melee power, unique abilities like your conversation skills, atomic explosion when you are damaged enough etc.)

COMBAT MECHANICS: The game is First Person Shooter for most part, but it has unique combat mechanic. While playing FPS, you can freeze time so do speak and target specific enemies part for higher damage of decapitate them. This can make game very strategic as some enemies faster or bigger than others and sometime enemies can have devastating weapons. So if you use this time freezing and aiming trait well you can target specific body parts or their weapons and slow them down.

VARIETY IN ENEMIES: A lot of long games becoming boring in short time as they have the same enemies over and over again. But that is not the case for this game. As you explore the wastleland, you will come across plenty of different enemies ranging from thugs and little creatures to heavily armored soldiers and super mutants. LOVED IT JUST LOVED IT.

DECENT STORY: While it is not the strongest aspect of the game, it does have decent story with somewhat of a suspense and oh depending on the choices you make, story and ending changes.

DIALOGUE TREE AND GOOD VOICE ACTING: If you played Mass Effect than you know what I am referring to. While talking to different characters, you can choose what you want to tell them. You can be charismatic and friendly or you can be rude. You choose. Again what you choose affects the end result of the game. To me what was nice was these dialogue were well designed and voice acting of hundreds of people you talk to was much better than what I expected. This truly makes gaming experience more rewarding.

(IF YOU HAVE GOTY)

FIVE DLCS = 10+ MORE HOURS OF GAMEPLAY: The five DLCs will add to the main story of the game, but in addition it will take to you to a hidden slave town, alient space ship, pre-nuclear explosion war era and on a mystic island. I loved all five of them especially the island and story+ dlcs.

INCREASE LEVEL CAP TO 30. If you don't have these dlcs, you can level up only to lv 20, but if you have these dlcs you can level up all the way up to lv 30. That means more traits, more choices and more unique powers.

******************CONS******************

GLITCHES: This is simply unacceptable. There are glitches in the game that can make you go crazy. For example for me I completed a mission and I didn't get achievement unlocked for that particular mission. Fortunately for 360 version a lot of these are fixed by patches. Nevertheless you will still encounter some.

LEVEL CAP: I also didn't like you can only level up 20 or 30 depending on which version you have. I wish they would at least let you level up to lv 50 and get all the traits possible.

****************CONCLUSION*****************

I truly wish they would have worked hard to fix the glitches, but contrary to those glitches this game has a lot to offer. 80+ hr of gameplay paid me back every single cent I spent to buy this game. I highly recommend this game to RPG and FPS lovers. If you can get GOTY (9.5/10), if not then at least give normal edition a shot (9/10).

1.0 out of 5 stars Freezes after about every hour of play, November 13, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is amazingly well written and the gameplay is very engaging, but it has to be the buggiest piece of software I have ever used. On my brand new PS3 Slim it freezes after approximately every hour of play time.

This has been an issue for a long time and is well documented across the internet. Don't just take my word for it, do a search and see for yourself. Furthermore there has been no acknowledgment of the problems from the developer, Bethesda Softworks. And it doesn't appear that they have any plans to issue patches any time soon. Some people have even speculated that Bethesda has simply moved on to the next version, Fallout: New Vegas, and is no longer planning to patch the buggy and unplayable GOTY edition.

You've been warned, buy at your own risk.

Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition - Playstation 3