4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide
Fallout: New Vegas is an enormous game. It is quite easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of side quests available (not to mention item hoarding, and exploration). While this game is new, there are very few resources available. This guide has all of these resources that you would be searching for on the internet.

The guide contains:

- Information...
Published on October 23, 2010 by Robert Tipton

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not best guide they've ever created
First off, the guide is pretty good, as in it does what most previous guides have done with the expectations we generally have. There is a lot of information that is packed into it.

Published on October 25, 2010 by Duane Gundrum

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not best guide they've ever created, October 25, 2010
Duane Gundrum (Grand Rapids, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallout New Vegas: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Official Game Guides) (Paperback)

However, there are a couple of problems with the guide that have bothered me since buying it, and I was a big fan of the guide they created for Fallout 3. Unlike Fallout 3, the makers of this guide decided to go cheap and developed a guide that didn't have zone maps included in it. Usually, the huge map is broken up into 9 major sectors, and you have a copy of that sector in the book itself. Instead, they decided to include one large map, and you are expected to refer to the map in order to figure out where anything is. This is massively impractical for anyone who buys a strategy guide, because most people aren't going to want to keep unfolding out this huge map every time they want to figure out where something is. And if you decide to hang the map on the wall (which is a two-sided map, so you end up only able to look at one half of the included map, meaning it's impractical for hanging up unless you're a moron or have too much money and decide to buy two strategy guides just so you can look at the content by hanging it up on the wall). Usually, I like to have the strategy guide right next to me while I'm playing, but a huge fold out map is ridiculous whenever I want to look up where I am in the game. Honestly, going the cheap route was the wrong way to go with this product.

Several bits of the information are just wrong. Not sure why, unless they made changes after the strategy guide was developed, but it just feels sloppy.

With all that said, it's still a pretty extensive map. Just don't allow your in game life to rely on it because you might be looking for refuge and suddenly discover it's just not there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide, October 23, 2010

The guide contains:

- Information on creating characters
- Information on Ammo, Items, Guns, Perks, Companions, and Crafting
- Full Bestiary
- Main Quest Walk through
- Full Side-Quest Walk through
- Detailed maps, and "Tour of the Mojave Wasteland" (breakdown of all locations and what they contain).

Pros:
The information on building the ideal character is very nice. The info on all of the perks, attributes and items are extremely helpful. This entire section is called "Training" and has plenty of knowledge available whether you're a veteran or are new to the series. There are charts that explain how each crafting item is made and where the items can be found. It also explains the different ammo types. There is no lack of detail in this section.

The walk through's are excellent. The main quest is sorted from the side quests and is broken down into three acts. The walk through design is almost flawless. Whether side quest or main quest, they both have detailed flow charts with all possible actions if you don't feel like reading through the details. So if you're doing a quest and don't feel like comprehending loads of information, this gets the job done well.

If you're the type who enjoys reading many details on the quests, this is available as well. So you can choose between if you feel like reading a simple flow chart, or reading full details on the quest.

It also contains information on how high of attributes you need to pass barter, speech, intelligence etc challenges.

The back of the book has full maps of each location and what items are available at these locations.

Cons (if you can call them that):
Some of the walk through's leave out small details that you need sometimes (such as "One for my Baby" quest: it does not inform you that you must wait until a certain time before a certain action can be taken).

Some of the maps in "Tour of the Mojave" do not contain the items listed. While most of the time it is accurate, occasionally it is wrong.

The guide feels rather cheap, which it $15, but I'd still expect better quality (amazon sells it for $15, many stores sell it the same for $25)The book's pages feel rather cheap. They are thin (similar to a magazine or catalog). The binding is rather weak and towards the front and end of the book it is more severe.

Overall:
This guide is excellent. It will help veteran players (such as I) and novice players find their way through the enormous game. I could see this becoming obsolete within the next few months as the Fallout: New Vegas wiki is completed. Nevertheless, this is out now, and is highly accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed and great layout., October 20, 2010
M. Hernandez (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
LOVED:
- Art section in the back. Had some great pictures of the posters you see throughout the game.
- Detailed fold out map. Printed on both sides, with every collectible, point of interest and easy to read grid format.
- Quest TREE! Shows the entire quest line and options. Saves so much time... as oppose to the Borderlands guide which just listed it by mission number and just casually mentioned a quest had a pre-req with no page number to find said pre-req. In the FNV guide, it'll let you know exactly what your actions lead to. Even has some alternatives.
- Suggested character builds. I went with a generic build in FO3 since I didn't really know any better. Avoided the mistake this time and went with the suggested power armor and weapons build the guide had. It'll keep me on track for the perks I want late game. There are quite a few suggested build types so you are bound to find one to fit your style of play.
- Layout of all towns and shows you what items are to be found in each building.
- Has a warning for every game play change between FO3 and FNV.

NEEDS WORK:
- Towns are sometimes listed without their zone coordinates. This happened to me early one while looking for the detailed map of Goodsprings. Eventually found the coordinates and flipped the appropriate page.
- The pro's and con's of each faction could use more detail. There is an intro piece on each but I had to go further into the walk-through to see how exactly siding with one side cut off others, including sub-factions. I went with NRC because... well I'm from California. Wish I had more of an idea of what I was getting into.
- Missing at least one of the Free Quests. I ran into one in Goodsprings that was not listed. It was the typical damsel in distress ruse from FO3 so I knew what was coming. Though, it would've been helpful to know there are few items at the end that worth it.

DISLIKED:
- Length of art section. Wish it had a few more pages.

This guide is definitely worth the price and a must have for people who want to experience the entire game. It is high quality, easy to follow, and very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Densely packed with information, October 22, 2010
Length:: 1:09 Mins

The book is pretty thick at 480 pages and packed with information. The type is fairly small, but not cringing small. The difference between this and the normal edition is the hardcover and there are 32 pages of extra content (art and behind the scenes stuff). Mine's numbered 97590, so I guess they printed a lot of collector's edition.

The book is split into a few main parts: Training, Main Quest, Side Quest, Tour of Mojave Wasteland and Appendices.

The Training section basically talks about the game mechanics and character development. There's an explanation for all the attributes, perks, skills, etc available, all of which I find very useful as I'm new to Fallout. There are also suggested character builds with recommended stats and suggestions on how to spend you Skill points. And of course, there are weapon information and enemy profiles.

The walkthrough section is detailed and complete with all the items you can find during any particular quest. To avoid spoilers, just skip the text and follow the quest flowchart which is basically a list the prerequisites required for the quest. Items you can find are marked by big icons.

Side quests come in at an overwhelming 150 pages, more than twice the pages for the story quest. Wow. They are as detailed as the main walkthrough. This where you can find cool items, gain extra experience and visit strange places. I might take a year traveling through the desert to find all these side quests without the guide. You can be sure you won't miss any even if you miss talking to any characters.

Maps come in a few form and they are very useful. The pullout poster map has 3 maps showing the roads, enemy hangouts and collectibles respectively. In the book, the maps are close-ups of areas and blueprints of buildings with details down to the room level, and the list of collectibles and quests.

If you're a collector-type of player in the game, then this book (or the paperback edition) is for you. I'm not too sure the extra 32 pages of art/stuff/hardcover is worth that extra $6 or so - but it's not too much anyway.

(There are a few pages from the art pages on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Why does this guide suck so much ???, October 28, 2010
Don (Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This guide is authored by the same person as the Fallout 3 guide, David Hodgson, but it "GREATLY" sucks by comparison. And the "WHY" is simple - Prima Games stopped using the excellent mapping, and visual indexing, of the Fallout 3 guide. In the F3 guide every zone had a small map at the beginning of it's chapter, with a list of primary and secondary locations right next to it, and it worked great. Every destiation had an easy to use mini-map which was easy to find by using the chapter map.

The FNV guide has dropped the zone mini-maps which makes it much more difficult to find where you are, and what you want to know. If you enjoy using the fold out map its probably not a big deal. If you are like me and have a couple of big dogs, or just like the convenience, and ease of the old lay out you will be disappointed. I upped my score from 2 to 3.5, because the good writing and detail is still there - its just much harder to find.

I am going to make some color copies of the big map and "physically" cut and paste the zone areas into the "Tour the Wasteland" chapters so I can have most of the convenience of the F3 guide. I am upset that I will have to do so much to recreate what the publishers have chosen to leave out. It sucks...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Guide!, October 19, 2010
I received my Fallout New Vegas Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide on 10/18/2010... so i had a chance to peek at the guide prior to the game being released. To avoid spoiling the game i only read the first few missions, and i must say they are very detailed. A very important area in the fallout series is the choices made for speech... they are covered in detail so you know ahead of time what will result from different choices. The main reason i buy game guides for is for the locations and items. The Fallout New Vegas Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guidedoes a great job on listing the items, locations, and extremely detailed weapons stats. Another reason i use the book is to make a plan for how i would like my character to level up. I find it extremely useful to create a draft of your character prior to starting the game. While playing Fallout 3 i made the mistake of choosing some useless perks, i didn't want to do the same again. The guide also has a pull out map identical to the Fallout 3 guide map... very detailed map & useful map!

This book has everything you would expect in a Prima game guide. If you love the Fallout series this is the guide for you!

2.0 out of 5 stars You are really paying for maps and collectible location coords, December 27, 2010
I was very disappointed in this guide in comparison to the guide for FO3. The walkthroughs really did not enhance my gameplay. If there was a quest, it mostly elaborated the quest comments, but did not provide extra insight other than giving me a map. I was able to get a better walkthrough by going to gamefaqs.com than using this strategy guide. For example, the first big quest when you start the game is to either save the town you woke up in or to turn it over to the bad guys. I chose to save it, so the game tells me to go talk to such and such. I look at my guide, it says the same thing. So I go talk to such and such, and she tells me to talk to 3 other people. I look at the guide, it tells me that I will need to talk to 3 other people, and that to get help from these people I will need to pass certain skill tests. I walk to these people, and they tell me in conversation to get their help I need to complete a skill test. hmmm... So far, I have gone through this quest, and have received 0 useful information. I go to gamefaqs.com to see if they have any additional information on the quest. I find out that there are skill books hidden throughout town that can help me beat the skill tests and be able to recruit these 3 people for the upcoming fight, and I should talk to the robot that is patrolling town as well. WOW!!!! Why was that not in the "strategy" guide? If you are buying this book, the only useful information is the maps and the appendix of collectibles with location coordinates. If you are wanting a strategic walkthrough, I suggest going to gamefaqs.com.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent material mostly outweighs few flaws, November 6, 2010
I ordered this book after completing a playthrough of FNV when I realized from reading online that despite having taken every side quest I came across, I had missed a LOT of side quests and areas of the map.

Another reason for getting this is that FNV is a VERY complex game. You are constantly faced with decisions, even from the very beginning of the game, which have far-reaching consequences for how the game ends.

Unlike Fallout 3, which I've played through over a dozen times and never freely put a single point into Barter, Speech, or Melee, the increased complexity of Fallout New Vegas brings Barter and Speech much more into play and they can no longer be ignored. The Guide does a good job of explaining the pros and cons of different point distribution strategies.

Also, you may frequently get into a conversation and only then find out that you need a Skills Magazine boost to your Barter or Speech, and sometimes you cannot back out and get the needed boost. The Guide can tell you before it's too late what skill levels you will need for various dialogue options and the results so that you can decide in advance whether or not to invest a Skill Magazine.

Some people have commented about the "magazine like" pages. Yes, the book is printed on slick paper (not quite as thin as most magazine stock, IMO), but that's because this is not a novel or textbook; it is filled with pictures and diagrams which show up better on slick paper. However, I have noticed that the ink smears just from touching it, so try to handle the edges of the pages instead of thumbing through the book.

The book is about 450 pages (of fairly small print) with a tremendous amount of information, well organized in several different ways (by location, by quest, etc.).

On the down side, the author is apparently concerned about giving away too much of the game and as a result, often withholds vital information. For example, when the Guide arrived, I was in Freeside trying to find the entrance to Cereluean Robotics which, thanks to a bug in Fallout's already industry-worst map and guidance-arrow system, was eluding me. The Guide offered no help in finding it and I had to look up directions online at Wikia, which I was trying to get away from having to do. And while the Guide tells you what goodies are, say, in a particular room, it does not tell you where, so if you are running around in circles unable to find something, the Guide will be no help.

Finally, there are a few omissions and outright errors in the book. For example, in the chart of things affecting Action Points, the Action Boy perk is omitted.

Happily, the negatives are far outweighed by the value you get from this book. That it is selling for such a low price is amazing. The book is large (8"x10.5") and beautifully done. The contents are not just a dry listing of data, either. The author uses an writing style that is entertaining and humorous.

If you want to get the most from FNV, get this guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guide, but with the Ultimate Edition out, it's incomplete., June 20, 2013
This is a great guide of everything in the base version of the game. It covers all of the base game quest's, character building, weapoms & armor and character perks. Unfortunately the guide has not been updated to cover any of the official DLC, of wich there are 4 peices that have been released. Having all the DLC in the Ultimate Edition of Fallout New Vegas makes this guide seem incomplete however. Apparently, for whatever reason no company that publishes strategy guides has any current plans for the Ultimate edition strategy guide, and that is a real loss for completionist gamers that might have missed something in the ultimate edition of the game (or those who purchased the DLC packs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game, October 6, 2012
The game is very good. I've enjoyed over 500 hours and still find more things going on. With those that make different Mods to play and their continued ideas to upgrade and add more Mods I find it a lot of fun.
Just so you'll know, I'm almost 70 year old and I think playing these type of games help keep an old man's mind sharper. I have to think about where I'm at and what to use for deffence.
Thanks to Amazon I don't have to fight youngsters at the store to get the games I like.
RP

Fallout New Vegas: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Official Game Guides)
Fallout New Vegas: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Official Game Guides) by David S. J. Hodgson (Paperback - October 19, 2010)
$24.99 $18.60