Top positive review
128 people found this helpful
Dance Music With Meaning!
on January 6, 2011
Lady Gaga is no cookie cutter plastic pop star in the likes that mainstream is so used to seeing. Her image is edgy and the music on this album is heavy brilliant innovative pop with dark lyrics and powerful messages. Wether at a party or a club, one can't ignore how fast dance floors fill when Gaga's songs come on, but the thing that I love the most about these powerful dance floor anthems are the thought process and the meanings behind them.
1. Bad Romance - a song about being in love with your friend and wanting absolutely everything from them, even their ugly and their most deepest darkest part of them that they think nobody else would like, but also about that relationship being in such a state of convolution that ends up being detrimental and feels like they could write a bad romance novel out of it. The way she references Hitchcock movies during the second verse is absolutely genius! Overall a powerful dark dance anthem 10/10
2. Alejandro - This song is about the fear of sex and intimacy. How your past lovers can hurt you and ruin you for anyone that comes after them. That's the dilemma between Gaga and Alejandro, as much as Gaga loves him she just can't be with him because she's afraid to get hurt again. "And all those flames that burned before him/ Now he's gotta firefight gotta cool the bad" is one of my favorite lines of the song. It explains how Alejandro tries to fight against the resistance she puts up. Overall this is one of my most favorite songs on the album, there are so many addicting layers to and it somewhat reminds me of ABBA and Swedish music which I love! 10/10
3. Monster- One of the most creative and tantric songs on the album, I love how Lady Gaga sounds soulful in some of the harmonies but yet she maintains this dark electronic vibe throughout the song. I would've LOVED to see a music video to this. The song is like nothing she's done before and I'm crazy about the ferocious lyrics! My favorite line is
"We French kissed on a subway train, He tore my clothes right off
He ate my heart and then he ate my brain!"
One of the most addicting songs on the album!! 10/10
4. Speechless- a 70's inspired rock song Lady Gaga wrote out of desperation for her father and his unwillingness to get heart surgery. The lyrics are close enough though to be considered a heart breaking love song about a relationship gone bad. Lady Gaga sounds powerful and raw in this song. I dedicate it to all my past lovers who've done me wrong! 10/10
5. Dance In The Dark - LADY GAGA'S BEST SONG TO DATE!! "Dance In The Dark" is a song about insecurities, and how the person you're with can only deepen them and make you feel worse about yourself. It's also an anthem of empowerment cause it talks about breaking free from those inhibitions and restraints. I cannot tell you how many times I have quoted "I'm a free Bitch Baby!" and how those words empower me to be more of an independent person and not to rely so much on the validation of others to realize my self-worth. The pounding mysterious 80's synthesizers give it this dark Epic New Wave feel that will have you hooked from the very beginning! 10/10
6. Telephone - A hammering club anthem that gets you up and moving! This song just gets better more grandiose everytime i listen to it. There's nothing really significantly deep about this song other than it's about suffocation and wanting to have a good time without the interruptions of technology, which i I can totally relate to! And although this song is incredibly catchy and upbeat I think it was a bad choice for second single, Since "Dance In The Dark" or "Monster" would've had a much bigger impact on pop music in the same way that "Bad Romance" did. 10/10
7. So Happy I Could Die- I LOVE the sound and the hypnotic electronic slowed down tempo of this song. This track is about addiction and how you can be in such a euphoric and happy state with it that you're blinded by it not caring or realizing that it's bad for you and it could be deadly in the end. She also sings about masturbation and how it can help you through some of the darkest moments of your life when you feel like everything is just falling apart
"And in the silence of the Night,
through all the tears and all the lies
I touch myself and it's alright"
I smile every time this song comes on, It's incredible!! 10/10
8. Teeth - This is a very eccentric track and it's completely ALL over the place and I LOVE IT!! It's immensly creative, raw and I love her unfettered ranting and how the whole thing sounds tribal and something completely out of this world. A smashing way to end the album and one of my favorite songs 10/10
Lady Gaga is incredibly talented and this album is just completely ground-breaking! Putting out this type of dynamic material soley a year and a half into her career leaves me in complete anticipation to see her more in the future!! She is the true definition of an Entertainer and an Artist
My Top 5
2. Bad Romance
3. Dance In The Dark
4. So Happy I Could Die