5.0 out of 5 stars Dance Music With Meaning!
Lady Gaga is no cookie cutter plastic pop star in the likes that mainstream is so used to seeing. Her image is edgy and the music on this album is heavy brilliant innovative pop with dark lyrics and powerful messages. Wether at a party or a club, one can't ignore how fast dance floors fill when Gaga's songs come on, but the thing that I love the most about these powerful...
Published on January 6, 2011 by Warren

1.0 out of 5 stars WHY is it edited?!
There was no mention either on Amazon or on the CD case that this album was edited/censored! "Bitc*" just doesn't sound natural as "bit." Period. If the record companies are going to continue to censor albums that I shelled out my hard-earned money for, I will have no qualms nor any feeling of emotional turmoil or moral dilemma downloading uncensored bootlegged versions...
Published on November 24, 2009 by Blood-and-guts Murphy

‹ Previous | 1 2 359 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fame Monster As It Was Intended........., January 29, 2010
The Fame Monster Explicit!!!! Great to finally hear all the songs with the lack of censorship!!! Thanks Gaga for having this released!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential GAGA, November 23, 2009
Okay okay, so it's been censored...kids like her music, they may not understand it (thank god) but they should get to listen to GAGA too...so yes it's been censored but it's still BRILLIANT! Now read on...to what I think of this album...

This woman is amazing...people love her and yes a huge chunk of the population hate her (or don't understand her which leads to hate) and of course I do get her and love her.
I heard Just Dance like evryone else and didn't know what to make of her, all I knew was that I liked her, a lot, but like, A LOT A LOT! It was a long, hard wait for The Fame to be released...and there was a nervous knee jerk reaction in my thinking that surely it wouldn't be released in Australia....but it was, we don't get a lot of quality power pop american music (thank god for Amazon)....The fame blew me away....

I often buy albums and wonder where the artist will go to next, and the waiting to see where they will go drives me nuts, but miss gaga has let us see a small glimpse into her future and it looks bright.

The eight track Monster Fame is as good if not better than the original Fame whcih you get as well when purchasing this re-release...

It's the same catchy pop, the lyrics that I am sure as sure mean something to gaga, they have underlying meanings many might not want to understand.... I do.

Tracks like Dancer in the Dark had to have been influenced by Madonna's Vogue (the spoken celeb rap is a little too familiar)and Alejandro has a distant call of the material girls La Isla Bonita....but all popular music owes something to Madonna...

Other standouts are Teeth with it's sexy thromping and also the brilliant and I mean BRILLIANT Telephone with Beyonce...hard to imagine but they go together well and of course gaga isn't out shone...

I just saw the concert of this in Australia, we had a massive production of it and I was FRONT ROW...She was mesmorising. The video interludes were almost as good as the live show, I pray that GAGA releases them on DVD, PLEASE GAGA! Your little monsters want them!

One helluva clever lady, I've heard people saying that she'll be over in five years (they said that about Madonna too).....Where is she now?

On top of the world...

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Album but many flaws......, December 24, 2009
This review is from: The Fame Monster [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
This is a great album, musically that is. Keep in mind that this review is for the VINYL LP and not the CD. First, I usually give fair reviews and even when I don't like a product, I usually commend Amazon for its quick, simple and easy return policy. This review will have criticism of both Amazon and record company itself.

First Amazon, as with so many vinyl lp record album purchases, damage damage damage! My first ever Amazon purchase was packaged so poorly that a brick would barely have survived!! I have noticed with more orders that the packaging seems to be improving. When I received this Lady GaGa Fame Monster album, I was very impressed to see a firm outer box, then a inner box used for album shipping, both boxes firmly intact. Keep in mind this is a PICTURE DISC ALBUM and not a typical album that comes in a typical album sleeve, it comes in a thick plasic jacket which is standard for most picture albums. Someone at Amazon thought it would be a good idea to put a rubber band along the length of this plastic sleeve to keep it from opening (if in the right box, which it was, this would NOT happen), this rubber band made a permanent sharp fold in the plastic, a NO NO for album collectors. Secondly, the bottom of the plastic sleeve, and BOTH sides are split open, allowing the album to fall out, third, there is a section that the plastic is broken and ripped. Firm, intact shipping boxes but damaged product indicate to me a storage and/or handling problem WITHIN THE AMAZON WHAREHOUSES.
Now for the actual album review: Great music BUT if your ordering vinyl albums to avoide that crappy CD sound, forget this vinyl album. It was very obviously mastered (made) from the CD!! The sound is god awful, very over amped, (recording level set WAY to high) resulting in distortion, and nothing but distorted thumping BASS. Many of you may be used to this with CD's and it's the very reason vinyl albums are coming back, "The Loudness War" (google search it) is the process where sound engineers are cranking up the recording level SO high (just because they can) that in the process they are actually degrading the sound and the result is very low, poor DYNAMIC RANGE (something that CD's are supposed to be superior to over albums) and have resulted in people from age 13 to 99 either discovering for the first time or re-discovering just how great a vinyl album can sound.
Lady GaGa - The Fame Monster sounds like total crap! It is NOT music, it is PURE NOISE!! You may read similar reviews about Metallica's "Death Magnetic" - the distortion was SO bad that the company had to do a remaster of the CD and issue replacements and refunds. Lastly, for those who do NOT know, vinyl albums are supposed to be mastered from the original studio TAPES, yes tapes of studio recording quality that have far superior sound than CD's. Most all CD's are mastered from studio TAPES. It's the mastering process where the sound engineer can "over do it" on the recording levels. Some studios are taking a "short cut" and mastering Vinyl albums from the CD!! So that means that all flaws evident on the CD re-record to the vinyl!!
SHAME ON INTERSCOPE RECORDS!!!! SHAME SHAME SHAME!! Lady GaGa has a magnificant voice, her Vinyl "The Fame" is brilliant, YOU DESTROYED HER LATEST ALBUM and I can only imagine just how much worse the CD sounds!! STOP THE LOUDNESS WAR PEOPLE!! The music industry has fallen on it's ass with illegal MP3 downloads and I was starting to buy music again ON VINYL in large quantity just because the quality was coming back, plus the ARTWORK that you can NOT get with CD's. Keep this up and I'll go back to free, illegal file sharing downloads, I'm not paying hard earned money for CRAP whether it's on CD, Vinyl, cassette or 8 track. STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars a review from a former Gaga hater, December 13, 2009
When I first heard Lady Gaga, the jaded listener in me came out and dismissed her as yet another in-shape blond girl with a decent singing voice who records "dance-pop" music. I thought the lyrics and structure of "Just Dance" were borderline-infantile (which tends to go hand-in-hand with flash-in-a-pan, dime-a-dozen white girls who are desperate to be famous, and must rely on producers and record label execs to make that happen). I figured she was likely to have one big club hit, and then nobody would remember her. I was also extremely irritated that it seemed that she got a bit of an attention boost when people started making assertions that Christina Aguilera was trying to copy her. (Those who know me personally know that Christina is near and dear to my heart.) However, I eventually had to get over all of this as I heard "Poker Face" and "LoveGame" and realized that there was something different about this particular blond pop star. After seeing a video of her performance from American Idol (where I believe she performed "Poker Face", reinterpreting the beginning of it as a kind of lounge-pianist/singer-meets-classical-violin duet), it became very clear to me that the world had no idea what kind of pop star had been steadily rising on radio play charts. Lady Gaga is clearly a woman who is quite musically educated, inventive, curious, and driven.

As I'm sure most of the people checking out this version of the album know, the deluxe edition is simply The Fame and The Fame Monster in one bundle. I ended up waiting to buy this version of the album so that I could save some money. The Fame album is a great debut album for Gaga. While "Just Dance" continues to be my least-favorite song on the album, most of the songs have fairly inventive lyrics, pleasing melodies/harmonies/rhythms, and utilize the potential for diversity of electronic sounds to its fullest extent. And while "Starstruck" could irritate many listeners for sounding a bit too much like the vocoder-heavy R&B/hip-hop music that is currently infiltrating the radio, there's something different about this song. Lady Gaga just puts this unique stylistic spin on it. There's also something delightful about the rebelliousness implied when an artist who clearly doesn't need Auto-Tune chooses to defiantly use it anyway.

The Fame Monster is almost a completely different story. There's even more of a darkness that permeates this LP/EP hybrid. (Once again, those who know me well know how much I enjoy artists who aren't afraid to take their music to a dark place.) The Fame Monster has actually managed to completely sell me on Lady Gaga. It's fascinating that she has been able to crank out such a consistent and improved follow-up to her previous album in such a short amount of time, and only serves as a testament to her wonderful understanding of music and art. The drama of "Bad Romance" and "Alejandro" might appeal very strongly to those who are classically-trained, while "Speechless" is a ballad feels like it could have been ripped right out of a Broadway rock musical. "Monster", "Dance in the Dark", "Telephone", and "So Happy I Could Die" are obviously very well-suited to dance clubs, and "Teeth" seems to be one of those songs that is so pleasingly eclectic that it defies all categorization. [As a side note, it seems laughable that "Telephone" was originally written by Gaga for Britney Spears. Beyonce and Lady Gaga thrash their way through the song with so much ferocity that it seems almost inconceivable that Britney ever thought she could carry it convincingly.]

It must be stated for the record, however, that as of now, "Bad Romance", "Monster", and "Dance in the Dark" are censored on all versions The Fame Monster (whether you buy it from iTunes, Amazon, Best Buy, or Wal-Mart). This is apparently due to some kind of mistake at the record label, and Lady Gaga is reportedly furious with them and trying to work out the mess. The censorship did irritate me and send me into an initial panic, although I don't find that it detracts that much from the songs. The uncensored versions are apparently going to be released, although I have no idea if any measures will be taken to ensure that those who have already purchased the album or tracks will be able to get the explicit versions for free.

Finally, while it makes me feel dirty to advertise for iTunes on Amazon, I would strongly recommend that those who aren't 100% against downloading their music consider buying the album from iTunes. The iTunes Exclusive tracks that come with it are "Disco Heaven" (originally a bonus track from The Fame) and the Starsmith Remix of "Bad Romance" (which actually does not have "the B word" censored). I usually make it a point to purchase my albums in CD format, but these two tracks are so terrific that I had to suck it up and download my album. In the end, I'm so glad that I did. "Disco Heaven" is so great that it could easily be a successful single.

5.0 out of 5 stars About F***ing Time!, March 1, 2010
When I first heard "The Fame Monster" back in January, I immediately fell in love with the album, but was surprised to notice so many passages censored (especially considering the lyrics of other artists on the Interscope label). Of course I realized that with the follow-up to the phenomenon "The Fame", Interscope was trying to mass-market Lady Gaga to a wider audience and expose her to even wider radio airplay, but I just could not believe that an "explicit" version was nowhere to be seen. Thank Gaga it's finally here, just as the freak b**ch would want it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont order now. Cherry tree to Release Uncensored tracks., November 24, 2009
B.A. Flowers (Springfield, MA) - See all my reviews
This is truly an amazing album and worth every penny, but don't make the same mistake thousands are making right now. These versions are all censored on Bad Romance, Dance in the Dark, and Monster. Cherry Tree however announced that they will be releasing the uncensored tracks ASAP. The announcement was made via the Cherry Tree Twitter account.

Have patience. The best is yet to come.

NOTE: Do not blame Amazon for sending you the wrong item because there is no Explicit version of this album available as of this posting!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Album, but Censored!!!, November 23, 2009
This review is from: The Fame Monster (Deluxe) (MP3 Music)
Another amazingly creative masterpice by Lady Gaga! Too bad it's censored!!! =( I specifically searched for the EXPLICIT version, and this album is listed as EXPLICIT. Regardless, every track is still phenomenal!

As with all Lady Gaga's songs and performances, each new track is crafted just as she wants it. These new tracks are just as you've come to expect from Gaga, loaded with intense electro-retro-glam-pop-deliciousness! I was delighted with every song! And if, like me, you absolutley loved The Fame, let that love affair continue with The Fame Monster!

Amazon has since removed the EXPLICIT listing on this album.

1.0 out of 5 stars Censorship belongs to third world nations, not here in "the land of the free", December 1, 2009
I rated this a one star and not for Gaga herself because I have "The Fame" and its a fantastic CD !! It got the one star because of the watered down "Wallyworld" release that I'm shocked to find here on Amazon. I just lost a hell of a lot of respect for you Amazon for just simply trying to pass this trash off on your customers. I was just getting ready to buy the MP3 downloads of this and read the reviews and I'm glad I did. You guys just saved me 12 dollars I would have wasted buying commie censorshiped dribble. Whatever happened to "land of the free" ?? I'll have to seek this out at one of the local rip off mall stores just so I can see if it has a "explicit" sticker on it for the word "bitch".
So much for freedom of speech.

1.0 out of 5 stars I did NOT want a edited CD!, November 27, 2009
I love this CD but Amazon sent me a edited copy! It doesn't say anywhere on the page that it is edited and I'm certainly NOT happy. So what to do now? Will Amazon send me another copy that isn't edited? Doubt it. So I'll probably end up spending more money buying a unedited copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon sent the EDITED VERSION!, November 23, 2009
Kit (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
there is no mention that this is an edited version of the CD.
i think Amazon is going to have a lot of angry customers.

the album is amazing though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 359 | Next ›