5.0 out of 5 stars Classic TV show gets classy treatment on DVD
Published on June 25, 2006 by Pageturner in NYC

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all episodes played
I have only watched the first three discs but on disc one 2 episodes wouldn't play all the way through. First couple of minutes played the they froze. I didn't see any scratches and wiped of the disc but after multiple attempts they still froze at the same point.
The Gift Horse
The Matter of School
Published 14 months ago by E Doug

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic TV show gets classy treatment on DVD, June 25, 2006
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
I remember loving this TV show when I was very young and so I approached re-viewing it 40 years later with much trepidation because I was not sure how it would hold up. I didnt remember this sitcom being heavy with jokes and punchlines, so I worried that it might have aged badly. I'm very relieved to say that the 30 episodes in this set are wonderful and the entire cast is restrained, believable and talented. This is one of those heart-warmer comedies that aren't made any more. Its humor comes from the situations rather than a goofy setup or (worse yet) impossibly adult wisecracks coming out of the mouths of young children. When bachelor Bill Davis (Brian Keith) inherits the three children of his late brother and sister-in-law (Anissa Jones, Johnnie Whittaker and Kathy Garver), he and his butler (er "gentleman's gentleman, Mr. French, played by Sebastian Cabot)find themselves suddenly having to raise three kids. Be forewarned, the first few episodes are real tear-jerkers as the kids continually believe they will be sent away to another relative. The DVD's picture is vibrant--it was one of the first color TV shows besides BONANZA-- and the stories are captivating.

The only confusing part of the DVD experience is that each episode begins with a pre-opening credits sequence--sometimes the scene that plays is a scene you'll see later in the episode and sometimes its the actual beginning of the episode, so don't be too quick to speed past the opening sequence. The DVD doesn't have chapter breaks within each episode. Sadly, there's no commentaries (only Garver and Whittaker are still alive from the core cast) but on the final disk, Garver hosts a special feature that takes you behind the scenes of the show and she's just as effusive and attractive as she was when she was first cast in the show--she was 18 when she was cast as 15-year-old Sissy. She also explains how Brian Keith agreed to do the TV show as long as he could film all his scenes one right after another (much the way Fred MacMurray did on MY THREE SONS), so he would only have to commit to a few months filming a TV show rather than a much lengthier filming period. This meant that many of the cast filmed their reaction shots to sequences weeks later. Even with this knowldge, its almost impossible to spot any odd continuity; it plays seemlessly--which is certainly high praise for William D. Russell, who directed all by the first episode.

Guests stars during this first season (1966)includes Myrna Loy, with reoccurring appearnaces by Heather Angel as another nanny, Miss Faversham. John Williams appears in episodes 18--26 as Mr French's brother, who looks after the family when his brother is called away (Cabot was ill at the time--can anyone explain why Cabot is wearing a bandage on his hand for almost half of the first season's episodes?).

Best episodes for season one include: the first show, "Buffy"; "Take Two Aspirin" (ep #11, when Uncle Bill is in Mexico and Fench gets the flu); "The Thursday Man" (ep #13, which deepens the characters of Sissy and Mr French); "All Around the Town" (ep #17, where the twins get lost in the city); and "Once In Love With Buffy" (ep #21 when Aunt Fran returns and wants Buffy and Sissy to come live with her).

This is a DVD set well worth owning.

NOTE: One of the other reviews posted on Amazon complained that there was no list of the episodes on each disk. My set contained a glossy insert that listed all teh shows and noted which disk they were on. Maybe it was left out of his set. (Although, thanks for the helpful list of season one's episodes.)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, March 29, 2006
60's fan "dvd" (Cedartown, Ga. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
Brian Keith and the whole cast made this show a winner. It was funny and the whole family could watch. I am glad that this and other shows of the 60's are being released on DVD. It gives me something to watch. TV has lost it's innocence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for this beloved show!, March 20, 2006
fivemile13 (Webster, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
I am so excited to actually be able to see this neglected gem once again. It hasn't been re-run on any networks, even cable, in years and years. Looking forward to Cissy's romance in Tahiti, Jody clipping Mr. French's beard, the substitute Mr. French (played by John Williams--not the orchestra conductor but the actor who did the "Masterpieces of Music" commercial ("I'm sure you recognize this lovely melody as 'Stranger in Paradise,' but did you actually know it is based on the Polovtsian Dance number 2 by Borodin?"), stickball in the park, Uncle Bee-iill, Buffy and her beloved Mrs. Beasley, and the excitement of New York in the 60's. IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!! Now let's get out a few more 60s favorites like "That Girl!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVDs... But Where's The Index?, September 5, 2006
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
Let me start by saying that my wife and I love this show and were thrilled to get it on DVD. We do have one small complaint though... the people who produced these DVDs forget to include some sort of index to the DVDs showing which episodes are on which DVD. For those of you reading this I would like to offer this homemade index:

Disc 1

1. Buffy (Pilot)

2. Jody and Cissy

3. The Gift Horse

4. The Matter of School

5. Marmalade

6. Room with a Viewpoint

Disc 2

7. Mrs. Beasley, Where Are You?

8. Who's Afraid of Nural Shpeni?

9. A Matter for Experts

Disc 5

25. The Way it Was

26. All Nephews are Created Equal

27. The Prize

28. What Did You Do in the West, Uncle?

29. The Award

30. The Butler Method

Feel free to copy and paste this for your own set!

5.0 out of 5 stars FAMILY AFFAIR FINALLY ARRIVES, March 28, 2006
Scott Denny (Runnemede, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
It Is wonderful to see this show released on dvd,The show is wonderful in its wholesomeness and family atmosphere.It is a sharpe contrast to the real life Buffy Annisa Jones had to endure.Her vh1 True Hollywood Story made me feel very sad to watch.Such a happy looking child could have such an awful life but yet be such a great young actress that when your watching family affair she seems like shes on top of the world...This is a great series and I hope they release Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward they looked terrific on TV Land Awards 2006 and I hope the show comes out this year also. Scott Denny Runnemede NJ

5.0 out of 5 stars LOOKING FORWARD TO OWNING THIS WARM FAMILY FAVORITE!, April 3, 2006
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
"Family Affair" has been one of those TV shows that I have long been waiting for to be released onto dvd. I grew up watching this warm, family show of Uncle Bill, Sissy, Jody, and Buffy, and of course, Mr. French, who seemed to always have some kind of a solution to whatever problem had occurred. Most memorable episodes involved the disappearance of Buffy's Mrs. Beasley doll, a camping trip with Sissy complaining she couldn't use her hair dryer, and Jody trimming Mr. French's beard. I only hope that the Season 1, listed on the box cover, instead of "The Complete First Season," doesn't mean that something has been omitted and this is only a scattering of select episodes from the first season. If anyone has any insights on this issue, please inform us in your review. Once again, I'm very pleased to see that the beloved "Family Affair" will be joining "The Brady Bunch," "Bewitched," and "The Andy Griffith Show," on dvd. I see "That Girl!" is also being released to dvd, another favorite TV show! I hope that a release date is set soon for another great `60's TV show, "Get Smart." I believe that I enjoy these now "classic" TV shows for the cast members in all of these shows do a great job in making their audience believe in whatever role they're playing and whatever the situation their involved in, is actually happening, and this is rare TV magic that's hard to find on TV these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffy and Jody finally make it to DVD!, July 2, 2006
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
I received my Season One DVD's in the mail from Amazon.com the other day and have been spending time watching Family Affair.

I love the show...always have, and the transfers are clear and clean. Some of the other shows that have been put out on DVD in series format have not faired as well as this one has.

The episodes are in their entirety, which is awesome. You get the opening, the opening theme music and titles, the show and also the closing titles. Any Family Affair fan would be thrilled with this Season One offering...however, it's not without it's issues.

The extras are a photo gallery (not that many photos that they needed to put this on the DVD, but it's something) and a 15 minute interview with Kathy Garver. Personally, I would have liked to see both Johnny Whitaker and Kathy Garver do this interview as he was one of the stars of this show as well (not to mention when you think of Family Affair, the characters that come to mind immediately are Buffy, Jody and Mrs. Beasley), and there are only two of this cast still alive to continue the legacy of this beloved show. To exclude him from this is a travesty, and I hope that the company who's releasing this DVD set (MPI) sees this and adds his commentary to the next 4 seasons.

All in all, it's a good product for a good price. I like the packaging as well. Everything in one place, and not the thin individual cases put into a larger slip case like box.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming seasons and finally having the entire series in my home so I can watch it at will.

Noreen Priborsky

5.0 out of 5 stars A sitcom with true warmth and charm., April 23, 2006
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
In contrast to the often low grade vulgarity represented in todays sitcoms, Family Affair displayed "family values" in their truest sense. I hope for the release of the entire series!

5.0 out of 5 stars If I only could give 6 stars, August 27, 2006
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
"Family Affair" was my favourite show during my childhood. I loved the 6 year old twins Buffy and Jody. The first season contains 5 DVD with 30 eps. A nice bonus is the interview with Kathy Garver (Cissy).

I missed that show for ages. I spent a lovely weekend with the Davis family. And Sebastion Cabot as Bill Davis' Gentleman's Gentleman Giles French is just adorable. The nice point of the show is, that family life is shown from the kid's side as well as from parents' side. Cissy adds the problems of a teenager.

So if you want to watch a nice family show for all ages buy the set. It shows love, warmth and understanding and also fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Waiting For!, June 1, 2006
This review is from: Family Affair: Season 1 (DVD)
I could NOT WAIT for June 27; I hit the store early to buy this set! I have not seen these shows uncut since the 70's. In the late 80's, I taped a lot of them off of a local VHF channel, but they had much cut out of them, being in syndication. This was my favorite show in the world growing up, and I am really excited about getting to share it with my own children. I hope all the seasons will come out that quickly! The Walton DVDs are only released once a year, so at that rate I'll be waiting six more years to get them all!
Added on June 27:
I am really pleased with this DVD set! The color is vibrant with a sharp picture, and the sound is clear. The best thing is that the episodes are UNCUT!! There are scenes in these episodes that I haven't seen since they were on broadcast T.V. My two young sons watched with me, and they thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to say it; this is great T.V. that you can watch with your family, and they don't make 'em like this today! Yea to MPI Video for putting out a wonderful show in a quality DVD set! I hope this review will lead someone else to purchase this set for their family.(By the way, Season 2 will supposedly be out in November.)

Family Affair: Season 1
Family Affair: Season 1 by William D. Russell (DVD - 2006)
$39.98 $20.49