5.0 out of 5 stars "Family Affair" Stands Apart from the Rest
Published on May 19, 2009 by Gregory A. Moorehead

3.0 out of 5 stars poor packaging
I remembered this as a child, which is why I was interested in this product. I received the product after a long wait from when I ordered, and the packaging was damaged very severely. Fortunately the product itself was in tact. Take care when sending things through the mail.
Published 7 months ago by austenut

5.0 out of 5 stars "Family Affair" Stands Apart from the Rest, May 19, 2009
Gregory A. Moorehead (New Brunswick, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
When it comes to old television shows, particularly family comedies, people are quick to jump to generalizations: childish, simple, one-dimensional, unrealistic are terms which come to mind. However, while on it's surface, "Family Affair" appears as just another late 60's family sitcom, there are some important distinctions which set it apart it from other family comedies such as "Leave it to Beaver", "Father Knows Best", "The Brady Bunch", etc. First, of all "Family Affair" plays more like a "dramedy" (comedy with dramatic elements) than a traditional sitcom. In fact, there are very few comedic elements in some episodes, but always a very clear story arc. The next issue is the matter of how the twins and Cissy, come to live with Uncle Bill. The writers make it very clear that both parents were killed in an accident. Unlike "The Brady Bunch" where we know both parents are widowed, but there is never any detail regarding how the families actually come together (with all due respect to the theme song); in the first episodes of "Family Affair" the writers not only take a surprising amount of time to convey that the parents were killed, but also to share with the audience the difficulty the twins had adjusting to life as they were bounced from one family member to the next, often separated from their older sister, Cissy. In fact, in one early episode, Buffy runs away because she feels that Uncle Bill will also abandon them. Next, "Family Affair" distinguishes itself because of the progressive and sophisticated nature of the main characters who explore relationships with indivdiuals across a diversity of backgrounds. In one episode Uncle Bill helps an African American gentlemen in his gym with the concerns he is having with his young son. In another episode the twins befriend a young girl with a disability who as the storyline implies, dies near the end of the episode. This was pretty daring for a family sitcom. In another episode, the family hosts the financee of a Chinese gentleman, whose bride-to-be comes from China and speaks little English and knows little about American culture. In a surprising twist, the episode ends with the couple not getting married, and going their separate ways. In another episode, Buffy befriends a young girl from an impoverished background, and as the story goes, we learn that poor people can be also be classist. "Family Affair" is well-written, well produced, and very entertaining. If you remember this show as a child, you should consider seeing it again as you may have missed some of the subtle themes. If you've never seen "Family Affair" before you may be surprised at what you're missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought Back Memories, April 14, 2011
M. Lafferman (Baltimore, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
I remember Family Affair from when I was a child. Anissa Jones, (Buffy), we are the same age, had she lived.

It does make me sad to think that only Kathy Garver and Johnnie Whitaker are still alive. The way Brian Keith, Sebastian Cabot, and Aniss Jones died makes me sad.

I do love the simple stories of Family Affair, how close Buffy and Jodie were. I never had a brother, just 2 older sisters, who I was never close to.

I do have all 5 seasons, and do wish the show wasn't cancelled, because the last show doesn't seem like a last show to me.

I liked how Brian Keith and Sebastian Cabot, how the show showed their evolution from being bachelors to being such great caregivers of 3 children, who really needed a loving family, just like everyone needs and deserves to have.

I find the more stressful my life becomes, the more I gravitate to these kinds of wholesome shows.

Iam just so happy to have them available for purchase on dvd.

I actually started at the beginning, watched the first dvd in order, and went on from there.

Some shows really stuck in my mind from when I was a child, and some I didn't remember, so it was nice to see them for what seemed like for the first time.

I think this would be a great dvd collection for parents and children to watch together, or for people like me who are nostalgic to see a show they remember from when they were a child, and see it from a new perspective.

It's wierd, but I find that as an adult I still like some of the shows I enjoyed as a child. Maybe people never grow up, totally. For someone like me who never really had a childhood, I find that refreshing, if a bit odd.

It's kind of sad to me with all the cable channels we have on tv today, that there is really very little great programming on tv, or any original story lines. I always prefer a good story over anything else.

I hope if you do buy Family Affair on dvd, that you will enjoy it as much as I did, and still do.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1960s classic sitcom finally given the recognition it deserves..., November 23, 2008
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
And its been a long overdue. Uncle Bill, Mr. French, Buffy, Jody, Cissy & Mrs. Beasley in crisp, fresh prints & on DVD for those of us who enjoy nostalgia (baby boomers, if you will) & a whole generation of new fans to enjoy.

Why Family Affair never got the exposure the Brady Bunch did & others of this period, will continue to astound me, as this is indeed a classic of its kind & in my opinion far superior to other silly '60s shows like The Brady Bunch & The Partridge Family, which were also family sitcoms of this particular genre.

Overall, Family Affair still holds up well after all these years, so if this isn't a perfect example of a fine classic that stands the test of time, I don't know what is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buffy, Jody and the Whole Crew, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
I ordered this set as a 'time-filler' for recuperation after surgery. As a child of the 60s, it did not disappoint. Granted, it takes very little to amuse me, but it is a wonderful trip down memory lane! Warning: the theme music might start to drive you crazy....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic nostalgia, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is a wonderful trip down memory lane. Uncle Bill, Mr. French, Cissy, Buffy, Jody, and Mrs. Beasley are all there in the 5 season series. What's marvelous is that most of it was filmed on Sound Stage 10 at CSB Studio City. The trick was that some of the insert shots are on-location stock footage to set the place they're supposed to be. Studio backlots provided the settings of Spain and Tahiti. What's also most fascinating are some of the extras on the last disc of each season. Oddly only Part 1 of Johnny Whitaker's interview is part of Season 4. There is no Part 2 on Season 5 disc. Some of the information in the interviews is inaccurate. Sebastian Cabot was born in England and later moved to Canada. Some of the cast seems to think he was actually a Canadian playing a Brit. But these are all minor compared to the heartwarming lessons displayed in the series. You certainly won't be disappointed in owning this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Affair Indeed!, August 1, 2010
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
It was exciting to go back to the times of growing up and watching Uncle Bill try and sort out all of the family dynamics for his ready made family.
Great ensemble ... clean and decent ... not like a lot of the sitcoms today. This is truly a family show even for today's families!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Family Affair" re-visited, April 27, 2009
John P. Hays (Hagerstown, MD. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
I always loved this show as a kid and just wanted to see the episodes again. This brought back many great memories and it was a blast to see how much of the show I remembered. I'd highly recommend this to anyone who wants to recapture a small part of their childhood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Affair - Complete Series, February 4, 2011
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
I got this for my 10 year old daughter. She loves the Brady Bunch - so I thought she would like this. She LOVES it. For a little girl who is crazy about Hannah Montana - she sure fell in love with Jody & Buffy after only one episode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, February 10, 2011
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is a fabulous collection!! Remember watching it years ago when life was good!! Well worth the money!! Would highly recommend it if you grew up during that tv era!! Sure brings back memories!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Call To Arms..., August 23, 2013
FredCritic (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Affair: The Complete Series (DVD)
Watch this and then compare it to today's sitcoms and dramadies and reality shows. As time goes by, the more I question the value of portraying gritty reality. These shows show you a world that you're already thoroughly acquainted with, a world that almost always leaves you feeling frustrated, unsatisfied, and hopeless. And these shows make you feel frustrated, unsatisfied, and hopeless.

What if you were to look at the so-called wholesome shows as a call to hold yourself to higher standards, behavior-wise, attitude-wise, and otherwise? People scoff at stuff like Family Affair. But try and hold yourself to the same standards for more than two or three days. Good luck with it. Is this the real reason why people knock these types of shows? Would it just take too much damn effort? Or are they fearful that it would leave them too vulnerable? People knock Family Affair for having a strong fantasy element. Don't they really mean that they believe the behavioral standards are unattainable?

----------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose that's enough of that for now. Or as Mr. French might put it, "I shall now get off of my high horse. End of lecture. So nice of you to join us."

Family Affair: The Complete Series